Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Is It Wrong? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Wrong? (1115 Views)

Is It Wrong To Give Underwear As Gift? / Groom Who Lost Visiting Family Members In The Dana Crash Weds, WAS IT WRONG? / Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong? by Obelomo: 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2007
Hey guys I was born in the U.S. and I don't want say how long I have visited Nigeria, or whether I have been there. I understand yoruba, watch a lot of yoruba films, but my I don't the langauge, because many people says it sounds funny. My question is does it matter whether i speak my language or not?
Re: Is It Wrong? by SecondNjoy(f): 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2007
Omo, if u want to identify with your roots - I think u'll do well by speaking the language - at least amongst those that speak and understand it too - funny or not, the language is yours, so come on - be proud of it -

PS. if someone says black is funny - does that prompt u to want to stop being black? No.
Re: Is It Wrong? by Obelomo: 2:28am On Aug 24, 2007
N Joy thanks for replying! Yoruba people say my yoruba sounds funny or bad that is what I was trying to say.
Re: Is It Wrong? by BABEELOVE(f): 7:09am On Aug 24, 2007
Obelomo:

N Joy thanks for replying! Yoruba people say my yoruba sounds funny or bad that is what I was trying to say.

Yeah! Speak it anyway and laff at yourself when it sounds "funny". That is the only way you can get better at it. kiss
Re: Is It Wrong? by NaJaHaJe(f): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2007
many people are trying to locate their roots and your saying your language sounds funny.

Omo learn to be proud of your roots and identity.
Re: Is It Wrong? by Obelomo: 7:24am On Aug 28, 2007
Naja Haje thanks for ur comment, but I did not mean say yoruba sounds funny. My yoruba sounds like english yoruba or ibo yoruba, anyways I will start speaking it .

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Connection In Italy / The Best Place To Be Born In The World! Switzerland 1st, Nigeria 80th (WORST) / Much Ado' About 'ember' Months.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.