Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80238 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THis is not good or healthy for Tribal structures . I am saying this as a Hausa. because of this assimilation, many of the smaller Northern Tribal groups will fall out and become extinct. I hate it when many Fulani in my neighbourhood/village, never knew how to speak Fulfulde and I could understand a bit of it more than them. It sucks. angry

However, how come you're not trying to educate your fellow Hausas about the need to go back to their roots? Since the Fulanis came calling - the Hausas have never been again... It's just a pity to see a culture as advanced and great as the Hausa culture just die like that... and it's kind of reminiscent of what happened to New York after Daz and Kurupt crashed the Empire State building in the "New York New York" song/video... New York hiphop has never been the same since then... grin

Btw, I'm a great admirer of the 18th century Hausa culture... wink
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 27, 2013
igbo boy:

that is exactly my problem...cos you are christain does it mean you must answer biblical names? I dont believe God created diversity on earth only for him to wipe it off later.. one can be igbo and still be christian without borrowing non igbo names...

That is one thing i like ofe manu people, their fierce love for their culture. Igbo man go dey form assimilation until assimilation go wipe off your heritage...

The chinese say if you want to colonize a man teach him your language. The british brough english and now name changing and you are here defending why a descendant of a man called Okonkwo should be called Anderson...mstchew
Which Yoruba ppl? Shd i start mentioning names or wat?
N besides all these Oge Okoye, nkem owoh, chioma chukwuka, ngozi ezeonu, emeka anyaoku, ngozi iweala, kanu nwankwo, chioma ajunwa etc,are dey not igbos?
What i mean is, nobody gives his or her child an english first name.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by igboboy1(m): 8:52am On Apr 27, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Which Yoruba ppl? Shd i start mentioning names or wat?
N besides all these Oge Okoye, nkem owoh, chioma chukwuka, ngozi ezeonu, emeka anyaoku, ngozi iweala, kanu nwankwo, chioma ajunwa etc,are dey not igbos?
What i mean is, nobody gives his or her child an english first name.

o di ka you are fine with english names as long as it is a middle name?
Lets not kid ourselved apart from those that have western last names, ofe mmanu people are more inclined to give their kids all native names compared to ndigbo.

I met one igbo girl she said as a christian and baptized that all should a baptized name..like WTF? Most igbo catholics i meet are the ones that are like this foreign naming thing all in the name of being christened names...
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 10:06am On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

then in the end you will be left na.ked.

keep discarding "archaic" thinz. Bravo.
the only thing constant in this world is change. when you refuse to change, you begin to die. a tree that does not bend, breaks. our adaptability is our real identity. surely, you can find a way to wrap your brains around that.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 10:14am On Apr 27, 2013
@ pagan nja and shymex, could you both stop trolling on this thread? we have noted your descent already. can we all go back to highlighting the marvelous culture of the Igbo and Igboland?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29am On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:
And who told you that imams, yoruba women or pastors dressed like that in the so called days of yore?

See this is the BS that i see in these sorts of posts.

Please focus on your hausa people that have been completely islamized and leave others alone.

did you read what I said? I was talking about the Igbo womens hairstyles when I referred to "the days of yore".

WHy should I focus on my Hausa people on an Igbo thread? everything has its time and place.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29am On Apr 27, 2013
Crayola1:

Is Abubakar Hausa? Mohammed? My friend you are busy trying to save another man's house why yours is going up in flames?

correct. I would agree with you were this a Hausa thread and not an Igbo one.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:31am On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, how come you're not trying to educate your fellow Hausas about the need to go back to their roots? Since the Fulanis came calling - the Hausas have never been again... It's just a pity to see a culture as advanced and great as the Hausa culture just die like that... and it's kind of reminiscent of what happened to New York after Daz and Kurupt crashed the Empire State building in the "New York New York" song/video... New York hiphop has never been the same since then... grin

Btw, I'm a great admirer of the 18th century Hausa culture... wink

ofcourse Im trying. THey just smile and think Im joking or say "you dey craze?"
but not all, many see the truth in my words.

18th cenury Hausa culture? Im glad you admire our culture but our culture has no date or changing trend. THere is only 1 Hausa culture. either we have it or we lost.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:33am On Apr 27, 2013
Malawian: the only thing constant in this world is change. when you refuse to change, you begin to die. a tree that does not bend, breaks. our adaptability is our real identity. surely, you can find a way to wrap your brains around that.

you have been adapting only for the past 150-100 years since your slave masters came and dumb their useless ideology on you.

Before that you never adapted. It is not part of your culture. You are stationary people, not nomads, so dont give me this lame bullsh!t excuse.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:34am On Apr 27, 2013
Malawian: @ pagan nja and shymex, could you both stop trolling on this thread? we have noted your descent already. can we all go back to highlighting the marvelous culture of the Igbo and Igboland?

You stop talking nonsense yourself. people like you are the bane of culture. you should get out of here. you have no respect for culture, the way you talk about things. angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 11:07am On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

You stop talking nonsense yourself. people like you are the bane of culture. you should get out of here. you have no respect for culture, the way you talk about things. angry angry angry angry
you see the reason why nobody should bother debating with you? who started the so called culture we are practicing today? why should our generation not have the right to change what no longer holds water? who is the real slave now? remember there was a time twins were kiled as part of the culture? should we return to those days? abeg waka pass jare.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:28am On Apr 27, 2013
Malawian: you see the reason why nobody should bother debating with you? who started the so called culture we are practicing today? why should our generation not have the right to change what no longer holds water? who is the real slave now? remember there was a time twins were kiled as part of the culture? should we return to those days? abeg waka pass jare.

IGNORANCE! THE GODS DAMN YOU! BASE IGNORANCE! angry angry angry angry

TWINS WERE NOT KILLED BY IGBOS.

TWINS WERE KILLED ONLY BY A SECTION OF THE KALABARIS ! AND WHAT IS THE LIKELIHOOD OF GETTING A TWIN AMONG THIS GROUP? 1 IN A MILLION?! ARE TWINS BORN EVERYDAY?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THESE ARE NOT IGBO CLOTHES! THESE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE PASTOR-IMAM CROSSBRED WITH SOME YORUBA WOMENS DRESS. TUFIA!

YOU HAVE LOST YOUR ORIGINAL COSTUME! FOR SHAME!

WHERE ARE THOSE BEAUTIFUL ANKLE RINGS WORN BY IGBO WOMEN?! OR THAT SARONG LIKE THING WORN BY THE MEN>? angry angry angry

OR THE LOVELY HAIRSTYLE S OF YORE!? WHERE IS ALL THIS? angry

Something must be wrong with your head to insinuate such. I really hate discussing cloths/fashion with people who live in their myopic world or have only lived in their cocoon of place of birth without stepping out and understanding other people's culture angry angry angry. And for the Igbo clothing, because you noticed a certain style in some old manuscript of a clan, it does not mean it obtains in other Igbo clans.

Nevertheless, back then in Igbo land, maidens dressed like this with minimal clothing or lack thereof grin

[img]http://4.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/SoG1lsAKBjI/AAAAAAAAJYc/nqhXj4Jmx7E/s400/igbo+girl+wedding.jpg[/img]

This aspect of our culture today can be seen in our wedding ceremonies. But of course we can't go na.ked today. The maidens and the bride come out to dance in minimal clothing.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/375724_Beautiful_Igbo_Babes_at_a_traditional_wedding_by_Grace_Bernard_in_2009_jpg65b517614f820753101c43f0e7dbb533

Married women usually were with more clothing with either a headscarf, an elaborate hairstyle and wrapper but bare chested.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/SoG1l-7KBEI/AAAAAAAAJYk/_LlVpOw19vA/s400/igbo+woman.jpg[/img]

But of course we can't go bare chested today. Too many perverts! So we added a blouse! cool This part of our culture is also represented in our wedding ceremonies. The bride changes from the maiden look to her woman look to signify she's now married.

She went from that to this. . .

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ohkes83phfY/URjCTk0kknI/AAAAAAAABjU/o-3uak9PMmo/s400/igbo+bride2.jpg[/img]

Igbo women of the 60's and 70's, for those who think they hold a monopoly for headscarf

[img]http://1.bp..com/_DeabNDTNx68/R5NDsbMCvrI/AAAAAAAAAOI/7aCWOYoK8Xg/s320/Okwuamara.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.lifestories.spruz.com/gfile/75r4!-!HGFGGG!-!zrzor45!-!FSNDFMMJ-DRJE-HKKR-OMDR-RDSFISENPNON!-72y1nq/two_ladies.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

I don't think the civil cause any dissent... Rather, according to some Igbo historians, it galvanised Igbos in the proper Eastern region... There were certain Igboid groups in the Eastern region who never wanted to called Igbos before the civil war - however that changed during and after the civil war...

Honestly, all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria needs to thank Nigeria for making them as strong as they're... Without Nigeria - I doubt the Hausa/Fulani single ethnic group would exist; Yoruba group wouldn't be as big as it is; and Igbo ethnic group would probably be smaller than it's today....

The civil war did o. Gowon strategically introduced new states in the Eastern and Northern part of Nigeria during that period. He didn't do that in the West. You guys are lucky. When the Nigerian army invaded the East it was said that some people started denying their Igbo roots. grin Isn't it ironic that the Igbos that had properties in the West were likely to get their properties back than our so-called brothers and cousins in the East that ran along with the whole abandoned property project? grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:17pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:
The civil war did o. Gowon strategically introduced new states in the Eastern and Northern part of Nigeria during that period. He didn't do that in the West. You guys are lucky. When the Nigerian army invaded the East it was said that some people started denying their Igbo roots. grin Isn't it ironic that the Igbos that had properties in the West were likely to get their properties back than our so-called brothers and cousins in the East that ran along with the whole abandoned property project? grin

Errm... I don't think the civil war did and don't forget the Western region was the first to be balkanized, with the creation of the Mid-West... and Lagos Island was also the capital of Nigeria and not part of the Western region... Suffice to say; the West had already been divided into three... Yoruba's are lucky because they already fought their own civil war in the 19th century and that enabled all the different subgroups to find a common ground as a larger group..

Anyway, "Nigeria" is the "glue" that's keeping everyone together for now - once "Nigeria" crumbles - so many Nigeria would be birthed in the new countries...
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:

Damn, and I thought Stillwater had some Nigerian politics under her wrap.

Nothing do you, princess.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by AlyricistLaura: 2:54pm On Apr 27, 2013
StillWater Does not have much of a Brain, I would not put much Stock Nor Serious Emphasis in her Writing.

This is the Same Young Lady who read an entire page explaining the differences between the Diversity of Africans, and Replied.....

"Why are you saying all Africans should look the Same" LoL

A Simplistic Basic Being, with Corrupted Cerebral Coding.

This Section has way too much Primitive Tribalism & Too Many Weirdos Obsessed With Race.

Igbo Culture Is Beautiful. {{{Mwuaahhhzz}}}

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:

Something must be wrong with your head to insinuate such. I really hate discussing cloths/fashion with people who live in their myopic world or have only lived in their cocoon of place of birth without stepping out and understanding other people's culture angry angry angry. And for the Igbo clothing, because you noticed a certain style in some old manuscript of a clan, it does not mean it obtains in other Igbo clans.

Nevertheless, back then in Igbo land, maidens dressed like this with minimal clothing or lack thereof grin

[img]http://4.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/SoG1lsAKBjI/AAAAAAAAJYc/nqhXj4Jmx7E/s400/igbo+girl+wedding.jpg[/img]

This aspect of our culture today can be seen in our wedding ceremonies. But of course we can't go na.ked today. The maidens and the bride come out to dance in minimal clothing.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/375724_Beautiful_Igbo_Babes_at_a_traditional_wedding_by_Grace_Bernard_in_2009_jpg65b517614f820753101c43f0e7dbb533

Married women usually were with more clothing with either a headscarf, an elaborate hairstyle and wrapper but bare chested.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/SoG1l-7KBEI/AAAAAAAAJYk/_LlVpOw19vA/s400/igbo+woman.jpg[/img]

But of course we can't go bare chested today. Too many perverts! So we added a blouse! cool This part of our culture is also represented in our wedding ceremonies. The bride changes from the maiden look to her woman look to signify she's now married.

She went from that to this. . .

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ohkes83phfY/URjCTk0kknI/AAAAAAAABjU/o-3uak9PMmo/s400/igbo+bride2.jpg[/img]

Igbo women of the 60's and 70's, for those who think they hold a monopoly for headscarf

[img]http://1.bp..com/_DeabNDTNx68/R5NDsbMCvrI/AAAAAAAAAOI/7aCWOYoK8Xg/s320/Okwuamara.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.lifestories.spruz.com/gfile/75r4!-!HGFGGG!-!zrzor45!-!FSNDFMMJ-DRJE-HKKR-OMDR-RDSFISENPNON!-72y1nq/two_ladies.jpg[/img]

ok please abeg why cant you go semi-naked like before? that brings out your real beauty. there is no shame in that if its a private organization and is cultural. Even the Zulu/Swazi girls go semi-naked today.

and what happened to those ankle - rings
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ok please abeg why cant you go semi-naked like before? that brings out your real beauty. there is no shame in that if its a private organization and is cultural. Even the Zulu/Swazi girls go semi-naked today.

and what happened to those ankle - rings
so that pr1cks will be charging during the ceremony abi? angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:02pm On Apr 27, 2013
Malawian: so that pr1cks will be charging during the ceremony abi? angry angry angry

the boys need time to get used to it. once they see them half-clad all the time, the perversion will wear off. especially when their own relatives are half-clad. undecided
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

the boys need time to get used to it. once they see them half-clad all the time, the perversion will wear off. especially when their own relatives are half-clad. undecided

My friend, go and deal with your excessive-compulsive obsession with anything Igbo. The nonsense you're spitting on this thread has become too much.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

My friend, go and deal with your excessive-compulsive obsession with anything Igbo. The nonsense you're spitting on this thread has become too much.

go die.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

The mistake many Igbo historians of old and new keep making is in grouping Igbo culture as one without putting the diversity into consideration. Now look at these four pictures and tell me which one is Igbo traditional attire.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2013
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2013
Abagworo:

The mistake many Igbo historians of old and new keep making is in grouping Igbo culture as one without putting the diversity into consideration. Now look at these four pictures and tell me which one is Igbo traditional attire.

ok I agree there is diversity. I cant agree more infact and diversity is good.

but after looking at those 4 pictures, it is clear that only parts of their attire are Igbo. soon none of it will be Igbo.

look at these ladies and learn from them. they are too proud to care what anyone says:

[img]http://jonhrusa.files./2011/03/xjh07.jpg?w=949[/img]
Princess of Swaziland herself in the middle.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
^^^And what is the Aids rate in Swaziland?

Rape statistics in South Africa?

The Africa of today is not "morally" the same as the Africa of old.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ok I agree there is diversity. I cant agree more infact and diversity is good.

but after looking at those 4 pictures, it is clear that only parts of their attire are Igbo. soon none of it will be Igbo.

look at these ladies and learn from them. they are too proud to care what anyone says:

[img]http://jonhrusa.files./2011/03/xjh07.jpg?w=949[/img]
Princess of Swaziland herself in the middle.

The point you're trying to make is pointless. You can't advocate for the Igbo people to go semi unclad all in the name of representing an 'authentic african' tradition. I mean this is totally crazy.
FYI, the Igbo people are very dynamic - ever changing in the face of change. From the images above, someone presented to you the changing images of attires worn during the 60s down to the present - this indicates change. The only people of Igbo land noted to have dressed semi-unclad were the Wawa people of Enugu.
I think you should open a thread on your Hausa people and advocate such semi-unclad dressings for them.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:03pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:
^^^And what is the Aids rate in Swaziland?

Rape statistics in South Africa?

The Africa of today is not "morally" the same as the Africa of old.

so what can be done to bring it back? dont you think its becauuse ppl r less cultured and less exposed these days?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 5:05pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The point you're trying to make is pointless. You can't advocate for the Igbo people to go semi unclad all in the name of representing an 'authentic african' tradition. I mean this is totally crazy.
FYI, the Igbo people are very dynamic - ever changing in the face of change. From the images above, someone presented to you the changing images of attires worn during the 60s down to the present - this indicates change. The only people of Igbo land noted to have dressed semi-unclad were the Wawa people of Enugu.
I think you should open a thread on your Hausa people and advocate such semi-unclad dressings for them.

I don't know who these your bolded people are. Maybe you mean the Agbaja people who built architectural master piece in ancient Igboland.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

who are you to dictate what I advocate or not?

its not crazy go mind your own business. the Igbo were never dynamic/changing. it is onlly in the last 100 yrs of colonization tht you changed because of inferiority complex. no. Most Igbos were semi-clad. are you bulshitting and telling me that what those ladies wore in those 4 pics are authentic Igbo? go to hell!
I have repeated before, this is an Igbo thread and Im discussing Igbos here. I already opened a thread on authentic Hausa if you check my past archives.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
Abagworo:

I don't know who these your bolded people are. Maybe you mean the Agbaja people who built architectural master piece in ancient Igboland.

No, I mean the wawa people of Enugu state. You haven't heard of the wawa people before? They were called 'wawa' because they are known to say 'wa' for 'no', rather than 'mba'.
Ask anybody you know from Enugu state.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

did you read what I said? I was talking about the Igbo womens hairstyles when I referred to "the days of yore".

WHy should I focus on my Hausa people on an Igbo thread? everything has its time and place.

I was not responding to what you said but what you certainly implied.

Cultures change and are dynamic. That you see pictures of Igbos wearing certain clothing 100 years ago does not even mean that they wore it in the distant past.

Nor does it mean that they will continue to wear it today.

If you wanted to keep 100% tribal, pagan and real stop using your computer/cellphone to go on Nairaland and argue with me in English.

Throw all that modern material stuff away and go home free.

Live exactly what you preach.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.