Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) (23443 Views)

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / Teach Me Naija Slang Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by LesbianBoy(m): 5:22pm On Aug 28, 2011
Dont know where to post this MOD so pls forgive me o  cool cool cool cool cool lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Just wondering, there are some words we say/hear though we understand it,  but many ppl dnt know how they came about,

For instance we are all familiar with the word abi na slang called,"419" (when refering to a dupe). there is also a bag (with plenty lines) will call it "Ghana-must-go"

bag , Me i dont know the "genesis" of this words o grin grin grin grin grin and i know many people dont know too grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue so whoever that knows the

"genesis" of these 2 words should share with us, thank you!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by iwemfoo: 1:19am On Aug 29, 2011
419 came from the original yahoo boy Fowan Enine people couldnt pronounce his name na so e come be as e be.

As for ghana must go, na wen pesin wan go ghana by force before before na wetin them go use carry dem tins to be waterproof they will now swim to ghana and sneak over the border.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Nobody: 1:32am On Aug 29, 2011
@iwefoo
that's a brilliant explanation. thank you grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by iwemfoo: 1:34am On Aug 29, 2011
morufoye:

@iwefoo
that's a brilliant explanation. thank you grin grin grin

grin grin grin happy to be of service to una
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 29, 2011
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
@ poster, dont mind the last 2 posters
419 is derived from section 4, subsection 19 of the nigerian constituition which makes advance fee fraud an offence.
ghana-must-go bags came into use in the early 80s when the nigerian govt repatriated millions of ghanaians on the allegation they were economic saboteurs.the bag was quickly manufactured as they could not afford to buy conventional baggage

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by toluxa1(m): 1:49am On Aug 29, 2011
careytommy:

419 is derived from section 4, subsection 19 of the nigerian constituition which makes advance fee fraud an offence.
ghana-must-go bags came into use in the early 80s when the nigerian govt repatriated millions of ghanaians on the allegation they were economic saboteurs.the bag was quickly manufactured as they could not afford to buy conventional baggage

Finally an educated person arrives. lol cheesy

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by umechuma: 2:04am On Aug 29, 2011
'419 ' is a section in Nigeria criminal code that addresses the penalty for ''Advance fee fraud'' cases in Nigeria or simply section 419 of Nigerian criminal code.

And for Ghana-must-Go:During the 70s Nigeria's economy was booming due to raise in Oil price and most West African citizens were coming to Nigeria to work but in the early 80s Nigeria started experiencing bad economy due low price of Oil and their was no more jobs for most West African citizens who where working In Nigeria including Ghanaian's and the Federal Govt decide to deport all foreign nationals back to their countries.During the mass movement of Ghanaian's back to their country THEY USED BIG SACK BAGS TO PACK THEIR BELONGS as against normal travel bags.From there Nigerians coined the word Ghana-most-go bags (Big Sack Bags)

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Princek12(m): 3:40am On Aug 29, 2011
careytommy:

419 is derived[b] from section 4, subsection 19 of the nigerian constituition [/b]which makes advance fee fraud an offence.

If you are unsure about the veracity of an information, don't post it. You are misleading people by doing so. 419 has nothing to do with the Nigerian Constitution; it has to do with the Nigerian criminal code.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by BabaIbada: 4:34am On Aug 29, 2011
Princek12:

If you are unsure about the veracity of an information, don't post it. You are misleading people by doing so. 419 has nothing to do with the Nigerian Constitution; it has to do with the Nigerian criminal code.
Gbam, it actually is section 4 subsection 14 of the Nigerian Criminal Code. I think Ghana-must-go was derived from the bag used by Ghanians in packing their loads out of Nigeria when we had strained relationship with Ghana
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Dgunnerz(m): 4:39am On Aug 29, 2011
Ghana!
I dey come with ma ghana must-come!
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by premechaz: 5:33am On Aug 29, 2011
Baba Ibada:

Gbam, it actually is section 4 subsection 14 [/b]of the Nigerian Criminal Code. I think Ghana-must-go was derived from the bag used by Ghanians in packing their loads out of Nigeria when we had strained relationship with Ghana

SO it is 414?

iwemfoo:

419 came from the original yahoo boy[b] Fowan Enine
people couldnt pronounce his name na so e come be as e be.

As for ghana must go, na wen pesin wan go ghana by force before before na wetin them go use carry dem tins to be waterproof they will now swim to ghana and sneak over the border.

You are tha best!

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by moremi2008(m): 6:35am On Aug 29, 2011
There are 419 local languages in Nigeria and "419" is synonymous with "Nigerian Language". Most Nigerians speak it fluently.

"Ghana-Must-Go" is a term coined from the mass immigration of Nigerians to Ghana to seek greener pastures. It's a short-form for "To-Ghana-I-Must-Go".

Hope this helps. grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by jimtosam: 7:24am On Aug 29, 2011
I learnt 419 is the hotel room(room 419) where some fraudsters lodge into in 80's , these guys really scam a lot of people in Lagos then.

Ghana must go is very easy.The Ghanaian used this while they were moving back to their country. You know Ghana economy was very poor before.I remembered when I was young, they always repair our shoes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Remii(m): 7:45am On Aug 29, 2011
check this link. Fraud is a section 419 offence, that is the origin.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Criminal%20Code%20Act-Part%20VI%20%20to%20the%20end.htm

Chapter 38

Obtaining Property by false pretences; Cheating

418.         Any representation made by words, writing, or conduct, of a matter of fact, either past or present, which representation is false in fact, and which the person making it knows to be false or does not believe to be true, is a false pretence.

419.         Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

If the thing is of the value of one thousand naira or upwards, he is liable to imprisonment for seven years.

It is immaterial that the thing is obtained or its delivery is induced through the medium of a contract induced by the false pretence.

The offender cannot be arrested without warrant unless found committing the offence.

419A.  (1)          Any person who by any false pretence or by means of any other fraud obtains credit for himself or any other person-

(a)            in incurring any debt or liability; or

(b)            by means of an entry in a debtor and creditor account between the person giving and the person receiving credit,

is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

(2)           The offender cannot be arrested without warrant unless found committing the offence.

419B.       Where in any proceedings for an -offence under section 419 or 419A it is proved that the accused-

(a)            obtained or induced the delivery of anything capable of being stolen; or

(b)           obtained credit for himself or any other person, by means of a cheque that, when presented for payment within a reasonable time, was dishonoured on the ground that no funds or insufficient funds were standing to the credit of the drawer of the cheque in the bank on which the cheque was drawn, the thing or its delivery shall be deemed to have been obtained or induced, or the credit shall he deemed to have been obtained, by a false pretence unless the court is satisfied by evidence that when the accused issued the cheque he had reasonable grounds for believing, and did in fact believe, that it would be honoured if presented for payment within a reasonable time after its issue by him.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 29, 2011
The number "419" refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code (part of Chapter 38: "Obtaining Property by false pretences; Cheating"wink dealing with fraud,

while   ghana must go was the bag commonly used by ghanians when they were sacked by the nigeria goverment, the bag was use then because it is large enough to contain almost all they need to pack at a go
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Sike(m): 9:12am On Aug 29, 2011
Dgunnerz:

Ghana!
I dey come with ma ghana must-come!
Abeg make am snappy.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by DECOtech(m): 9:16am On Aug 29, 2011
About 419, As much as I agree with most posters, pls, read this portion of the bible; philipians 4:19 (d biblical belief of a typical 419er).

I share same view as regards the Ghana must go.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by nagoma(m): 9:33am On Aug 29, 2011
Of course Ghana must go assumed another dimension at  the time bribe-for-budget became the order of the day in the National Assembly and OBJ would send millions of Naira in cash in ghana must go bags (On some occasions these were seen on televion with the senators and the honorables gloating over the loot - armed robber like) as they share in order to pass a faulty budget or unpopular decision.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by funmeme(f): 9:41am On Aug 29, 2011
The history of the bag starts back in 1983, when millions of Ghanaians refugees were forced to flee Nigeria due to political pressures. In a rush to pack their things, they resorted to what we now call the ‘Ghana Must Go,
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by marcus1234: 10:07am On Aug 29, 2011
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Joecoollorenzo(m): 10:54am On Aug 29, 2011
In naija local parlance when they say, you be 419, 419 here is a noun and doesnt realy code in on all this criminal code wateva u guys ar writing. Ofcourse no doubt u guys are right but i like d FOWAN ENINE analogy. Its an interesting metaphor of our present day 419 usage.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by velo10: 11:33am On Aug 29, 2011
Hear stories ooo. Abeg let someone come out with the verified truth about 419 abeg. Pls don't 419 the truth from us ooo
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by LesbianBoy(m): 3:13pm On Aug 29, 2011
moremi2008:

There are 419 local languages in Nigeria and "419" is synonymous with "Nigerian Language". Most Nigerians speak it fluently.

"Ghana-Must-Go" is a term coined from the mass immigration of Nigerians to Ghana to seek greener pastures. It's a short-form for "To-Ghana-I-Must-Go".

Hope this helps. grin

No it doesn't tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

velo10:

Hear stories ooo. Abeg let someone come out with the verified truth about 419 abeg. Pls don't 419 the truth from us ooo

Thank you very much for that!!! now am confused this one say fowan enine(wat ever that means grin grin) this one say its a criminal code another say make we look phillipines 4: 19 shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by DAVE5(m): 7:22am On Aug 30, 2011
419 is a street in my area,ghana must go is an attempt made by oda countries to push ghana out of d confederation/world/caf cup so they dont kip on carryin d cup home
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Emyce(m): 12:43pm On Aug 30, 2011
Y is it nigerians are quick givin false facts,na hin mk we no dey learn.419 was gotten courtesy of d provision of section 419 of d criminal code which talks about obtaining by fraud,while d ghana must go was originated during d babaginda's SAp regime
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 30, 2011
Nairalanders are the best in comic comments. from Forwan Enine to 414 and the rest grin .  I agree with those saying 419 was gotten from section 4, sub-section 19 of the Nigeria criminal code. And because the offence relating to this section of the criminal code was very rampant, hence the daily usage among Nigerians even on the street which when mentioned now; your mind quickly go to the Y.boys.ng   wink you know what i mean. For the Ghana must go; i also agree with those saying it was a bag used by Ghanians in moving their things while they were forced to leave Nigeria back then. Na so me too know am reach o. I still dey laugh till now because of comments here.  grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by isleman(m): 3:31pm On Aug 30, 2011
Remii:

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Criminal%20Code%20Act-Part%20VI%20%20to%20the%20end.htm

Chapter 38

418.         Any representation made by words, writing, or conduct, of a matter of fact, either past or present, which representation is false in fact, and which the person making it knows to be false or does not believe to be true, is a false pretence.

419.         Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

Remii link=topic=746562.msg9031431#msg9031431 date=1314600303:

Chapter 38

419A.  (1)          Any person who by any false pretence or by means of any other fraud obtains credit for himself or any other person-

Thank you for throwing that light jare, am supprised at the silly things some people are saying. Is it that am too old or these people are just too young to remember or know these things.

1. This law was introduce and promulgated by the Gen. Abacha regime in 1992/93 as an aftermath of the failed banks introduced by the Babanagida administration and other subsequent frauds arising then

2. Ghana-must-go as some said was a make-shift bag made for repatriating millions of Ghanaian accommodated by the Shagari regime in 1983 by the Buhari/Idiagbon regime in 1985/86.

Definitely many nairalanders a kids, no wonder they talk trash.
Re: The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) by Benilily(f): 10:46am On Aug 07, 2013
iwemfoo: 419 came from the original yahoo boy Fowan Enine people couldnt pronounce his name na so e come be as e be.

lie lie rubbish n smelly lies... No b by force 2 comment.. If u no kw, abeg shATAp!!

(1) (Reply)

Aguleri Ofala Festival 2021: Pictures & Video / Oni Was A Chief Priest / Markets Shut Down In Abeokuta In Honour Of A Late King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.