Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs (66298 Views)

!!!UPDATE!!! Traveling With Expired Nigerian Passport / Do You Get Fingerprinted When Traveling With A Traveling Certificate Out Of Uk / Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by anfanio: 8:35pm On Aug 29, 2011
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 8:43pm On Aug 29, 2011
chaircover:

Thank you grin

You are invited to lunch of proper pounded yam and egusi & panla soup any time grin

awww,
but too bad i don't eat any solids at all.
how about some good ol' british breakfast? wink
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Anvaller: 8:44pm On Aug 29, 2011
Look man, if you wanna have a hitch free travel experience, dont travel with all those things. There are African foods everywhere. Of course it is much more expensive but if you have normal income, you would be able to afford those foods like you would afford any other food. The problem with Nigerians is that when they see the price on these food items, they would immediately calculate the equivalent in Naira and shout Heeeee! I can buy 10ce of this in Naija with the same amount. But if you compare the price with the living standard of the country u are in, its usually not very expensive.

Sorry, I can't help you with any info because I dont like complicating my trip with all these stuffs and I believe strongly that it is the reason why my trips are always without hiccups or unnecessary delays. U may dare it anyway, not trying to discourage you most especially if u are that type of Nigerian that really don't fancy white man's food.

Goodluck with your smoked fish, palm oil etc.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 8:49pm On Aug 29, 2011
chaircover:

Coogar Britsh Breakfast on Saturday and akara and pap on Sunday  smiley

akara and pap? angry
no way. . . . .british breakfast on saturday, yam and eggs on sunday. cool
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
chaircover:

Need space for the jollof rice, chicken and Naija style salad lunch. So something light on Sunday morning.

Dont you like pap then? have you tried adding sugar and milo to it? embarassed wink

pap is for ill/sick people.
i don't like pap, i hate tea as well.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2011
chaircover:

I used to think that too until i married my hubby;  its one of his favourite foods. on my last trip i bought back 2 paint buckets of the stuff

2 paint buckets? huh?
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 9:26pm On Aug 29, 2011
chaircover:

I no fit put am for nylon now undecided

i stopped taking pap when i was about 6.
i sincerely believe it's for ill/sick people. something to take when the appetite is lacking or when the taste buds are not functional.
apart from that, i don't see the purpose it serves.

pap? mbaaaaaa
let's stick to the yam/eggs, british breakfast and other varieties.
pap is a bladder worrier.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 29, 2011
//
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by coogar: 9:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
goodnight, pap-woman! cool
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by kabukabu(m): 9:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
Cheapskates, leave your indomie packs and knorr cubes at home grin grin
Indomie here is dirt cheap,knorr is like 3$ for 20 or more, the only thing that is pricey at the African store is smoked dry fish/bonga fish.everything else is reasonable
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by tlops(m): 10:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
Once I was travelling  with food stuffs and  the immigration officers checked my  bag and asked me to pay before I take anything outside Nigeria, I told them no money then they said I should go up (because I was insisting on carrying them). I told them I was a student going back to school and the guy laughed,  he said "your mates are trekking to school you are here boarding a flight and you say no money", I had to drop some cash for them. but no Palm oil.

Otherwise I travel with foodstuffs from Uk, Italy and Holland without much complains once checked in. Just this June I was late for my flight (from stansted)so I had to skip check-in and security checks, and boarded with garri, pounded yam, yam and fried meat hitch-free. 9ja immigration will never allow you.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by odumchi: 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
@ OP

Be sure not to take certain types of bushmeat! A Nigerian man once got detained in Europe for carrying monkey-like bush meat which was said to have resembled human meat grin
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by claremont(m): 10:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
Naija immigration "arrested" my "orobo" tuber of yam the last time I left Nigeria. They specifically told me to pay them 1000 naira before the yam could be released; and unfortunately, I had no naira on me, so I had to relinquish the yam to them. That was 2 years ago, and up till now, I have never forgiven that immigration officer that took my orobo yam away from me, bunch of greedy w-ankers all of them!!!
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by babyboy3(m): 10:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
2 months ago I met a guy at MMA he was heading back to the US, but heading to Germany first, you could tell that this guy has spent all his life away from Nigeria, before checking in his suit-cases the customs started grilling him, then they asked him for money, he said he has the money but he is not giving them a dime? then they said he couldn't carry the gari and groundnut, he asked why? they said its against the US policy, he said he needed to see prove, then the custom became aggressive with him, he didn't say nothing, then the customs told him that he should forget about travelling that day, that's when he showed them his ID card! This guy was a Sergeant Major of the US Marine Corps, he said that if he misses his flight, he said that theirs a US Base in Egypt they would come and pick him up but someone is getting fired!!! The moment the customs knew who he really was the panic level grew! until when that guy was out of sight the customs were at their best behavior!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by babyitsu: 10:40pm On Aug 29, 2011
^^^lool. How them no go be at their best behavior? Weak willies. @Topic, omg. I am gonna be travelling back to school in Canada in like one week and I (definitely) have intentions of taking some stuff back with me. It is not in every province you get African stores(food) oo. I am in New Brunswick and you hardly get anywhere to purchase these stuffs. I have been arranging and packing for a while now, but I am kinda skeptical considering all that I have seen on this thread. Some friends of mine who returned from Nigeria last year brought a lot of things with them oo. They even went as far as bringing beans, red oil etc. They were the ones that instilled confidence in me and told me to just drop a few notes with the officers and they will let me pass.

And when I go on tours and holidays ( Italy, Dubai, France) they totally let them go without queries.

Anyway, there is no harm in trying. If they refuse, too bad. If they allow,  why not?

Poster, good luck conveying your kaya oo.

smiley
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Andrew3(m): 11:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
claremont:

Naija immigration "arrested" my "orobo" tuber of yam the last time I left Nigeria. They specifically told me to pay them 1000 naira before the yam could be released; and unfortunately, I had no naira on me, so I had to relinquish the yam to them. That was 2 years ago, and up till now, I have never forgiven that immigration officer that took my orobo yam away from me, bunch of greedy w-ankers all of them!!!

and guess where ur yam is now? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by http(m): 11:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
Whatever you are taking with you, declare it cos it will amount to lying and ur good seize. make sure you wrap them in transparent nylon bag so they don't have to open and do all those yamayama investigation on it.

When you reach the custom people, when ask what you carry, tell them and all will be well.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by omotofine(f): 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
I bring foodstuff back to the UK all the time without any drama, I just make sure not to bring any contraband apart from Pomo smiley , I bring garri, Elubo, Dried fish, Snails, Crayfish, Egusi, Apon, Iru etc and even bring the sauce for Ewa Aganyin ( Frozen) of course.
@ Chaircover na wah for Mortar and Pestle oh, Iyan yen ma ro baje smiley

2 Likes

Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Leffe2010: 12:14am On Aug 30, 2011
i dont know why some people behave so cheap those things are very cheap here in canada why the stresss
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by okadaman2: 12:20am On Aug 30, 2011
premechaz:

No. Those are for animals. What is for goat, leave them for goats. What is wrong with you people? It is a phocking 19 hours flight, what do you think would happen to your ugwu leaves?

There are better leaves here if you are bent on eating goat food. Just leave your dorty ugwu leaves for the goats you are leaving behind in Africa, your parents and siblings I mean.

Bros I still dey my village, I never comot agege, you mean no ugwu for ya london? If my goat chop my Ugwu, I go kill am

Shey white people Nor dey chop leaves?

BTW, shey they have Okada for london? Make I move part of my business.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by henry101(m): 12:49am On Aug 30, 2011
baby-boy:

2 months ago I met a guy at MMA he was heading back to the US, but heading to Germany first, you could tell that this guy has spent all his life away from Nigeria,  before checking in his suit-cases the customs started grilling him, then they asked him for money, he said he has the money but he is not giving them a dime? then they said he couldn't carry the gari and groundnut, he asked why? they said its against the US policy, he said he needed to see prove, then the custom became aggressive with him, he didn't say nothing, then the customs told him that he should forget about travelling that day, that's when he showed them his ID card! This guy was a Sergeant Major of the US Marine Corps, he said that if he misses his flight, he said that theirs a US Base in Egypt they would come and pick him up but someone is getting fired!!! The moment the customs knew who he really was the panic level grew! until when that guy was out of sight the customs were at their best behavior!!!

Hahaha, my buddy used that too.
No question asked afterwards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 1:14am On Aug 30, 2011
Do not take palm oil but make sure the other foodstuffs are dry and grounded. That way, you'll avoid any of your food being thrown away by customs. Bros, carry as much as you can. I carried garri, crayfish, egusi, ogbono, groundnut and dry fish. I no send the US immigration officers. Them dey like to dey throw away mangala aka dry fish. So if they see mangala inside your bag and ask you if it is mangala, tell them its dried fish, they don't know that mangala is dried fish. That has worked for me a couple of times grin
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Lax75(m): 1:23am On Aug 30, 2011
The sniffer dog ate my darn Mr. Biggs meatpie undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by macmoyor(m): 4:10am On Aug 30, 2011
^^^lool. How them no go be at their best behavior? Weak willies. @Topic, omg. I am gonna be travelling back to school in Canada in like one week and I (definitely) have intentions of taking some stuff back with me. It is not in every province you get African stores(food) oo. I am in New Brunswick and you hardly get anywhere to purchase these stuffs. I have been arranging and packing for a while now, but I am kinda skeptical considering all that I have seen on this thread. Some friends of mine who returned from Nigeria last year brought a lot of things with them oo. They even went as far as bringing beans, red oil etc. They were the ones that instilled confidence in me and told me to just drop a few notes with the officers and they will let me pass.

And when I go on tours and holidays ( Italy, Dubai, France) they totally let them go without queries.

Anyway, there is no harm in trying. If they refuse, too bad. If they allow, why not?

Poster, good luck conveying your kaya oo.

Smiley

@ all,fine thread thus far,i had learnt some tips through this thread.
@ baby, yea no harm in trial,
even though the nija foods could be readily available in bigger cities,its not the case for NB and NL(my base),i learnt its expensive in the eye of newcomer,even after someone get some payroll coming in,you gats feel your wallet for purchasing nija foods there,however,one gats wack food,despite the price tag.
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by dramenda(f): 5:35am On Aug 30, 2011
guy,
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by macmoyor(m): 9:16am On Aug 30, 2011
@ dramenda, i am travelling with a study visa,
Re: Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 30, 2011
Lax75:

The sniffer dog ate my darn Mr. Biggs meatpie undecided

Now, this is hilarious grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Zoo Wears Disappointing Look, 20 Years After Inauguration / Photos From Herbert Wigwe's Crash Site In The US / The New Abuja-Kaduna Train/Railway Station: See The Beauty And Comfort (video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.