Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN (5820 Views)

Count Me Out Of Threat To Blow Up Oil Installations- Tompolo / Soyinka, 'I Informed The President About Morocco'. / I Informed The I.G- Farouk Lawan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by OAM4J: 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2011
[size=13pt]We informed govt of threat – UN[/size]

The United Nations’ Security Chief, Gregory Starr, on Sunday said the United Nations country office’s security team discussed the “general” threats it received with Nigerian officials a month ago.

He, however, declined to be specific of the threats or the officials involved in the discussions.

Starr said this while responding to questions from journalists during a press conference addressed by the visiting Deputy Secretary-General of the UN, Dr. Asha-Rose Migiro, in Abuja.

He said, “I will not discuss the specifics of these threats. However, about a month ago, we received general threats.

“It was very general, it was non-specific, it did not give us any details.

“Nevertheless, the security apparatus here did in fact, inform the host government; we can’t figure out specific actions that were taken.

“These are general threats we receive from UN offices all over the world.”

Earlier, Migiro told journalists that she and her team will be discussing with President Goodluck Jonathan and the country’s security team on what exactly happened on Friday and what could be done to strengthen security.

She said there was no justification for terrorism adding, “The perpetrators must be brought to justice.”

Attempts to get the reaction of the Police high command to the UN claim failed as a senior police officer who did not want his name mentioned, said that only the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Hafiz Ringim, was in a position to comment on the matter.

Also, a text message sent to the IG’s mobile telephone at about 7.37pm was not replied as at the time of filing this report.

Migiro explained that victims of the attack were only in Nigeria to help.

She expressed sadness that cleaners, security guards as well as UN humanitarian partners and an official of the (Nigerian) Ministry of Health were among the dead.

“This was an attack on a working community that was helping the people of Nigeria-plain and simple” she said.

Migiro stressed that if the aim of the attackers was to deter the UN from its work in Nigeria and elsewhere, they would continue to fail.

She said, “Such attacks will neither deter us in our work, nor win any new sympathisers to whatever cause might be the motivation.

“Hunger and disease and the need to promote human rights does not stop or allow us to pause-the United Nations staff around the world must therefore carry on their duties and responsibilities.”

“And we do so on daily basis and we will continue to do so on daily basis, and we will continue to do so despite this barbaric attack.

“There can be no justification for terrorism. The perpetrators must be brought to justice.”

She also confirmed that the death toll of members of staff of the UN has increased to 21 as at Sunday.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108292165695
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by seanet02: 6:46pm On Aug 29, 2011
[size=26pt]Yet Odechukwu can not stop the Bomb blast with all the Security Votes he dey collect even when his Job has been made easier by the Notification from the UN, What a Dumbazz [/size]
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by okadaman2: 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2011
Kai my Oga don Suffer, even these yeye UN people wan throw am under bus.

UN don lose their building reconstruction funding be that. I trust myGEJ!

Oga GEJ no shaking, we dey your back.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by umechuma: 11:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
I want GEJ to invite and approve that America have a military base in Nigeria to deal with Northern terrorist in the interest of world peace and Nigerians,just the way their bases are in Saudi Arabia,Germany and South Korea.
It is time deal with this terrorist once and for all.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Rhino5dm: 12:30am On Aug 30, 2011
This is pure indictment coming from a whole UN. How are even sure there was scuh comminucation between UN and Nigerian securities? I wont trust the west when there is oil involve.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by edoyad(m): 12:51am On Aug 30, 2011
“It was very general, it was
non-specific, it did not give us
any details.

when you say it was very general, what exacty do you mean ? All human beings face general threats too, every second of the day.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by seedord247(m): 2:38am On Aug 30, 2011
Keep Enjoying the Fresh Air My dear Nigerians
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 30, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

This is pure indictment coming from a whole UN. How are even sure there was scuh comminucation between UN and Nigerian securities? I wont trust the west when there is oil involve.

Why would the UN make such a huge claim when it can be easily challenged by Nigeria?

Any why has Nigeria not challenged it?

BTW, I guess nobody is perfect. Muttallab's father also warned USA embassy about his son, but the warning was ignored and overlooked undecided
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by afrika(f): 2:48am On Aug 30, 2011
RINGIM, SHOW URSEF NAAAH!

WETIN CUM CAUSE OFFLINE MSG FOR UR FONE? WE CAN NOW SAY, OR READ MEANING INTO THIS MATA,

OK, MAKE WE DEY GO SHAAA
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by kizito96(m): 2:54am On Aug 30, 2011
People that the United Nations informed could not protect themselves not to talk of other people
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by okadaman2: 2:57am On Aug 30, 2011
Please my people, ignore UN, oyinbo people are liars.

Can they swear on Sango that they informed us? No

Please be calm, my OgaGEJ is on top of this situation.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by phuckNL: 5:39am On Aug 30, 2011
seanet02:

[size=26pt]Yet Odechukwu can not stop the Bomb blast with all the Security Votes he dey collect even when his Job has been made easier by the Notification from the UN, What a Dumbazz [/size]

You are the real odechukwhu here.
Did the numerous warnings prevent 9/11 from happening in the United States?
Did the warnings prevent the embassies from being blown up in Kenya?
UN buildings get threats all the time. If they had solid info let them tell us exactly what it was.
Suicide bombing is extremely hard to prevent since the perpetrator is willing to die. The easiest way is to stop it before it occurs. Did the UN have any info as to where the plans were being materialized? Abeg leave the president out of this.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by dayokanu(m): 5:50am On Aug 30, 2011
How can anyone expect reetardeen to take any action

He is soo clueless he cant even locate his as5 with his 2 hands
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by akinwole21: 6:02am On Aug 30, 2011
phuck_NL:

You are the real odechukwhu here.
Did the numerous warnings prevent 9/11 from happening in the United States?
Did the warnings prevent the embassies from being blown up in Kenya?
UN buildings get threats all the time. If they had solid info let them tell us exactly what it was.
Suicide bombing is extremely hard to prevent since the perpetrator is willing to die. The easiest way is to stop it before it occurs. Did the UN have any info as to where the plans were being materialized? Abeg leave the president out of this.

FACT(S)! Even if someone's wife is not pregnant now, its GEJ
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by LoveKing(m): 6:03am On Aug 30, 2011
[size=18pt]When will GEJ hold or appear in a  Press Conference nah?[/size]
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Rhino5dm: 7:27am On Aug 30, 2011
Am not holding brief for the government cos least i expected them is to be sincere. Didn't MEND sent a warning before attacking on the independent day celebrations? They even went to the extent of giving the time of events and precise location, yet the bomb went off embarassed sad.

Finally, our security lapses is being expose in a negetive manner IMO or are you expecting the same police consumed with the thought of collecting their 20 naira "egunje" to spare their low IQ and act intelligently? well all fingers crossed and patiently waiting with keen intrest to see how things unfold.

Me think this has to have some in house"touch", going by the type of car used and how the attacker precisely hit the "target". hope Jona will muster some balls this time around and kick some arsses.

Ileke-IdI:

Why would the UN make such a huge claim when it can be easily challenged by Nigeria?

BTW, I guess nobody is perfect. Muttallab's father also warned USA embassy about his son, but the warning was ignored and overlooked undecided
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 30, 2011
Finally, our security lapses is being expose in a negative manner

ehn, exposed? What was never hidden cannot be exposed.
Eleyi ko n se oro ti "asiri titu".

And if there is a history of the govt ignoring threat warnings, the it makes the UN's claim of giving Nig. Govt advanced warning more legit.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Rhino5dm: 7:43am On Aug 30, 2011
cool cool.

Maa lo Ado ekiti ni otun la cheesy cheesy

Ileke-IdI:

ehn, exposed? What was never hidden cannot be exposed.
Eleyi ko n se oro ti "asiri titu".

And if there is a history of the govt ignoring threat warnings, the it makes the UN's claim of giving Nig. Govt advanced warning more legit.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 30, 2011
Iro lo n pa jare.

Abi ki lo n wa se ni'be?
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by ufumes(m): 7:58am On Aug 30, 2011
There is so much threat alert that it requires skills and sophistication(in terms of IT gadgets) to be able to evaluate and determine real threats. I think Nigeria needs more of the sophitications
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by abelian: 8:21am On Aug 30, 2011
LoveKing:

[size=18pt]When will GEJ hold or appear in a  Press Conference nah?[/size]

its either the script writer is still compiling his script or GEJ is cramming the script (the whole world will be watching us) he needs some swagger.

i doubt if there is any procedure being followed by the FG in managing emergency situations like this. even during the military era, Abacha/ IBB woulda said something on TV immediately (remember my pellow Nigerians, ?). All we keep on hearing is the unscrupulous elements will be brought to justice, everybody should go about their normal business. Nothing to calm the nerves of the citizens, investors, and even allies, no official statement(s). The confidence of the people in the FG is on the low right now, their is no strategy in place to arrest the situation, and the PR is being paid? maybe we need to establish the Ministry of Public Speaking on Behalf of the FG.

I laugh at FRESH AIR angry
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by Pukkah: 8:45am On Aug 30, 2011
One can begin to imagine how 'warnings' on other critical sectors of the country are being ignored.

By the way, the journalists who sent a text message to the IG should have known they weren't likely going to get a response. Has this IG, just like his boss, ever been known for performance? So what do you expect from this type of team? Is he even doing anything to reform the corrupt, rotten, shameless, and inept Police?
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by PointB: 9:33am On Aug 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This is one of the few occasions I have to agree with you.

The UN claim that they warned Nigeria of 'General Threat' is stewpid, silly, and very malicious if you asked me. What was the 'general' threat a month ago? Every Tom. Joystick and Harry, can conjure up 'general' threat.  Now let me conjure up some general [/b]threats:
[b]
-  Militants will attack a high profile target (person, building, government, clergy?) in the NW
-  Islamist fundamentalist are attempting to infiltrate very high profile government building (have they not been trying for ages)
-  Al Qeada linked terrorist are planning to hijack public transport in the country (airplane, buses, train, taxi, private jet, okadas, ferries, which one?)
-  Hackvist plan to attack a major online forum in Sub Sahara Africa (Nairaland, ghanaweb please take note)
- Al Shabab based terrorist group plan to attack a major target in Sub Sahara Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, ECOWAS)
- A new Libyan based terror group targets high profile target outside of Libya. (Africa, Middle East, Nigeria, US)

Friends, forumist, Nairalanders, the above are samples of 'general' threat - from my crystal ball  grin grin grin. You can see the nature of 'general' threat - they are non specific, non-actionable security information.  UN should have done better with the kind of resources they have, they should have provided a more specific threat if they think they know better. My opinion is that even the UN is as clueless as they come. They are just trying to cover their own intelligence failure, and blame it on the usual suspect  - Nigeria in general, GEJ specifically.

This is one hell of a time for Nigerians and GEJ. I wouldn't want to be president at this rate!  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by abbyode(m): 9:33am On Aug 30, 2011
Our IG is only concerned about the ban on tinted glass, I still wonder why this man is still in the office since all these happenings.
Since US is now taking over our security investigation, I will suggest we privatise or better still, outsource the entire Governance to the US for say a period of 10 years.
That's the only solution I can come up with. GEJ is clueless as it is now evident.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by velo10: 9:50am On Aug 30, 2011
You informed an incompetent securty system about bomb threats and expected them to do something??
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by PointB: 10:10am On Aug 30, 2011
akinwole21:

FACT(S)! Even if someone's wife is not pregnant now, its GEJ

lol. But come of think, we can link the problem to GEJ.

Try this conjecture:

By Salidu Mohammad
Mahara Reports

GEJ inabilities to solved the power problem has resulted in many women refusing to enjoy love making. The result of this is a marked reduction in fertility and child birth. If this trend continues, Nigeria will witness fewer child births which will have a serious effect in quantity of labour for the Nigeria teething economy.

Women groups in the country, under the aegis of Women for Life, are organizing a major demonstration at the National Assembly to bring government's attention to the plight of the hapless women. Action Congress Party of Nigeria (ACN) spokesman, Mr. Deyinde Oshipejo is of the opinion that a major drop in population as result of the power problem is another indication of the effect of the corruption of the PDP led government, on women's health and productive. According to the spokesman, who addressed a gathering of the Women for Life Forum on the occasion of the inauguration of their officers, the government of Goodluck Jonathan, should ensure necessary steps are taken to ensure that the women concerns are given necessary attention for the benefit of the country. Speaking at the same forum, the CPC spokeman for SW, Alhaji Abdulmohammed Ashiru maintained that, the power problem which government has been unable to solve is also causing low sper.m count in many men. According to Alhaji . . .   bla bla bla

You see my point sir, inability to conceive can unfortunately be blamed on GEJ. We live in an interesting time.  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by reindeer: 10:17am On Aug 30, 2011
UN warned who? GEJ? grin grin grin grin grin

They might as well have been shouting at an Egyptian mummy.

Someoone will soon say the Oyinbos are liars, but wait! They didnt lie when they said the elections were ''free and fair'' right?

Fresh poo in your faces. grin grin grin
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by hillsate: 10:23am On Aug 30, 2011
You informed the government of the threat?
Which government are you exactly talking about.
Is the one whose national police headquarters was bombed?
or the one whose security strength could not prevent incessant bombings in the country?
UN or whatever you call your name stop leaking for trouble, nigeria has enough in her hands right now.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by unphilaz(m): 10:28am On Aug 30, 2011
haha i laughed @ dat joke and "newspaper" report about women and inability to born because of no nepa cheesy cheesy cheesy >:! cheesy cheesy
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by vanunu: 10:40am On Aug 30, 2011
Nigeria is going to pay a huge price for millions of Igbos and others that were brutally murdered from 1966 to 1970, this is just the starting-point of chains of event that will soon be emerging. The gods are angry believe or not, the land needs cleansing. you cannot murder two million people and expect peace to rain, it has not happened anywhere in the world.

As for people criticizing Jonathan, what do you expect him to do now that it is too late. It is quite unfortunate that Boko Haram has come to stay.
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by velo10: 10:41am On Aug 30, 2011
reindeer:

UN warned who? GEJ?  grin grin grin grin grin

They might as well have been shouting at an Egyptian mummy.

Someoone will soon say the Oyinbos are liars, but wait! They didnt lie when they said the elections were ''free and fair'' right?

Fresh poo in your faces. grin grin grin

Lol, Hilarious
Re: We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN by honeric01(m): 11:14am On Aug 30, 2011
God go save us sha, when are they going to blow the central bank here in Lagos? me need "free" money o. i hope they are going to inform us about the time and date so i can go with my own ghana must go bag.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re-integration Of 2 Million Idps, My Current Challenge -buhari / VIDEO Of Nnamdi Kanu Saying He Will Die With His Men / Breaking!!! Nigerians will not take this from APC and PDP (see Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.