Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Christians Versus Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Versus Christians? (1083 Views)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Accountability: True Christians Versus False Christians / Gospel Music Versus Secular Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 8:44pm On Aug 29, 2011
Dear Nairalanders,
What happens when two christians in the same church do a business deal and one dupes the other?
should the defaulting christian be arrested, sued to court or should the case be reported to the pastor and
left for him to handle?

sincere responses pls
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by free123: 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
Honestly and seriously, issue of dupe should not arise in any christian's life. Where that arises, the individual involved should re-examine his christian life.
Be that as it may, the issue should be settled amicably. If reporting it to the pastor will be of help, okay. But i will not buy the idea of involving the police
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by InesQor(m): 10:51am On Aug 30, 2011
Sincerely here are my thoughts: Try each step if the previous one fails

1) Try to get him to settle amicably
2) Tell the pastor of the church you both attend
3) Tell someone (s)he looks up to in his/her family
4) Tell the police and get him arrested

That way, nobody will say you didn't try. However, I will advise you not to trust people just because they say they are Christian. Only God knows Christians.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2011
[size=13pt]Go to the police, most pastors will support the wrong doer when money is involved. The police are trained to deal with such issues, but most pastors are trained to brain wash people and to collect their money.[/size]
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2011
^^^^
God for give your mouth!
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 11:17pm On Aug 30, 2011
mabell:

Dear Nairalanders,
What happens when two christians in the same church do a business deal and one dupes the other?
should the defaulting christian be arrested, sued to court or should the case be reported to the pastor and
left for him to handle?

sincere responses pls

It is advisable when two Christians in the same church enters a deal for the pastor to get involved. Or if a member of the church approaches another member for big businesses, it may be a smart thing to let the pastor know . Apart from prayer and counselling , he  knows who is who to a great extent and may advice against doing business with some people who may have tendency of not  honouring their words.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 31, 2011
Joagbaje:

^^^^
God for give your mouth!

[size=13pt]Partners in brain washing and deceit. May God open the eyes of the people you have brain washed and deceived so far[/size]

Joagbaje:

It is advisable when two Christians in the same church enters a deal for the pastor to get involved. Or if a member of the church approaches another member for big businesses, it may be a smart thing to let the pastor know.

[size=13pt]So that the pastor can get his share from the deal[/size] grin
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 3:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
free123:

Honestly and seriously, issue of dupe should not arise in any christian's life. Where that arises, the individual involved should re-examine his christian life.
Be that as it may, the issue should be settled amicably. If reporting it to the pastor will be of help, okay. But i will not buy the idea of involving the police

maybe i should say[b] cheat[/b] then
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
Joagbaje:

It is advisable when two Christians in the same church enters a deal for the pastor to get involved. Or if a member of the church approaches another member for big businesses, it may be a smart thing to let the pastor know . Apart from prayer and counselling , he  knows who is who to a great extent and may advice against doing business with some people who may have tendency of not  honouring their words.

but in the case where they did not involve the pastor initially, what then should they do when the business goes bad?
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by tpia5: 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2011
I will advise you not to trust people just because they say they are Christian

great advice.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 5:35pm On Aug 31, 2011
there'll always be a judas
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by aletheia(m): 6:28pm On Aug 31, 2011
InesQor:

Sincerely here are my thoughts: Try each step if the previous one fails

1) Try to get him to settle amicably
2) Tell the pastor of the church you both attend
3) Tell someone (s)he looks up to in his/her family
4) Tell the police and get him arrested

That way, nobody will say you didn't try. However, I will advise you not to trust people just because they say they are Christian. Only God knows Christians.
^
[b]
[center]I[/center]
(Matt 18:15 - 17[KJV])
Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[center]II[/center]
(1Cor 6:1-7 [KJV])
Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren? But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers. Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?
[center]III[/center]
(Matt 5:40 [KJV])
And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. [/b]
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by tpia5: 6:36pm On Aug 31, 2011
mabell:

there'll always be a judas

not necessarily about finding a judas, but simply using wisdom.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 7:01pm On Aug 31, 2011
wisdom, how do you mean?
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by tpia5: 7:10pm On Aug 31, 2011
^^ie count the cost.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by InesQor(m): 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2011
@aletheia:

Gbam! Thanks for the Biblical references for my post.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by wordtalk(m): 7:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
from 1 Corinthians 6 -

. . .Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another.

- I've often wondered about the quote in that passage: is it wrong among and between believers to deal with legal issues, whether:

(a) a Christian being subpoenaed or taken to court by another Christian?

(b) a Christian suing another Christian on some serious crime?

- and by extension . . .

(c)  a Christian suing a non-Christian in cases involving serious legal challenges?
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by aletheia(m): 9:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
wordtalk:

- I've often wondered about the quote in that passage: is it wrong among and between believers to deal with legal issues, whether:

(a) a Christian being subpoenaed or taken to court by another Christian?
^The key words in the preceding verses are I believe: "But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers." Family quarrels ought not to be settled by outsiders. It may not be wrong per se for a Christian to sue another Christian - I'm still unsure about that undecided
But definitely the higher way is to suffer yourself to be "taken advantage" of. qv. Matt 18:15-17

wordtalk:

(b) a Christian suing another Christian on some serious crime?
^As in murder? Or being personally defrauded? Could you be more specific please?

wordtalk:

(c)  a Christian suing a non-Christian in cases involving serious legal challenges?
^How about:
(Matt 5:39-45 [KJV])
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

I think if Jesus asks us to do this with respect to non-Christians who sue us then it can be inferred how we should proceed in the matter of a Christian suing a non-Christian
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by InesQor(m): 11:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
@aletheia:

Thank you. In light of your post I now understand your initial point. I will thus redact the last point (4) and replace it with; "Forget about it".

As a friend likes to say, "it can pain" sha. Lol. Yeah coming from someone who has lost money many times cos he was working with "Christians", I know. I have never gotten anybody arrested so far and now I see right justification for that in the scriptures.

Thanks again.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by vescucci(m): 11:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
I'm not a Christian and I don't know Bible passages by heart but I think some things are common sense and some I can vouch that Christianity should stand for.

For instance, the question begs the questions: what if the crook is a member of another church; do the rules change then? What if the crook is not Christian at all; do you send him to the garrote? And why should such a person hiding under the guise of being Christian do such a thing; should he be considered Christian then? I mean, by their fruits, you shall know them etc.

All the above said, I think it is totally up to the wronged person to decide what to do. To treat it in a secular way or a 'Christian' way should be left to the concerned party's discretion and no grief should come off it. My two cents.

InesQor! I see you. Dulcet7. Brave man! Brave man! I wanna be like you when I grow up.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by aletheia(m): 11:25pm On Aug 31, 2011
@InesQor:
You are welcome. God bless you my brother.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by InesQor(m): 11:29pm On Aug 31, 2011
@vescucci:

Ah my brother good to see you again on NL, beyond 140 characters. Hehehe. smiley
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by InesQor(m): 1:01am On Sep 01, 2011
aletheia:

@InesQor:
You are welcome. God bless you my brother.
God bless you too, my brother smiley
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by wordtalk(m): 6:50am On Sep 01, 2011
@aletheia,

It was just a thought, mirrored against the backdrop of more serious crimes between and among Christians. While I shy away from concluding anything about anyone's salvation (as God alone knows who is saved or not), I was thinking of particular instances that might necessitate legal proceedings - hence, I wondered if it was wrong (and why it would be wrong) for Christians to deal with such matters by legal procedures [since Paul said "there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another" - 1 Corinthians 6:7].

Dealing with crimes by legal procedures my not be wrong. I agree that minor church matters should be settled within the Church. But what about civil matters? A few examples:

1. I've seen a case of a Christian suing a pastor with a charge of 'Assault with Intent to Rape'. She had reported the first incident to one of the elders whom she respected, but things got out of hand as the pastor tried to justify his crime by preaching against her in church the very next Sunday.

2. I've also seen a case of a Christian suing a company owned by another Christian for breach of business terms that cost staff the loss of jobs as well as incurring huge debts.

3. I've seen a case where a Christian banker sued a church in order to recover a huge sum of money.

These are just summaries and not much detailed. I just wondered in such circumstances whether it was wrong for those Christians to have sued the other Christians.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by aletheia(m): 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2011
^
aletheia:

It may not be wrong per se for a Christian to sue another Christian - I'm still unsure about that undecided

I really don't know. I guess it boils down to the individual, hoping the Holy Spirit will guide accordingly. In the case of a crime like despoil, it may probably be best to sue the offender. . .to prevent others falling victim.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by MyJoe: 7:32pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^^ For one thing, failing to report a felony is of itself an offence.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by mabell: 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2011
@myjoe
do you mean to the police?
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by MyJoe: 10:26am On Sep 04, 2011
To the authorities. Yes, that is the police.
Re: Christians Versus Christians? by MyJoe: 5:05pm On Sep 04, 2011
Abuzola.

(1) (Reply)

Multidimensional/holographic Universe! / What Happened To Lagosshia ? / Anony, Do You Still Hold That As An Atheist There Is Nothing Wrong With Ra.pe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.