Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? (1379 Views)

How To Ask Out A Lady You Dont Know Before For A Date / Guys, How Long Can You Wait For A Lady You Ask Out To Make Her Decision? / Why Do Guys Ask Out Their Friend's Girlfriend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by shadrach77: 11:31pm On Aug 29, 2011
many atimes we hear people say 'i want to toast that girl' or a lady would say 'that guy toasted me' and we have come to see it as proper grammar rather than a slang. i however checked the dictionary meaning and nowhere did it say that the word 'toast' means 'asking a lady out' or 'asking to date a lady' so what is the origin of this popular slang? how did it come to become part of our vocaboulary?
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by tpia5: 1:34am On Aug 30, 2011
Who knows.

Something to do with preparing the lady no doubt.
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by bonetalk(m): 7:52am On Aug 30, 2011
Go to romance section, this section is not meant for your thread. Thankz for the understanding and your cooperation
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 30, 2011
how religious? mods where art thou?
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by PastorAIO: 11:34am On Aug 30, 2011
I think it came from the 80s when Jamaican dub reggae was very popular in Nigeria and stars used to rap over the music. They called it toasting. There were many toasters the most popular of which was probably King Yellow Man. The idea of toasting as talking sweet thing was then used to refer to talking to girl in order to 'tune' them to what you have in mind.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by shadrach77: 11:52am On Aug 30, 2011
so sorry this was posted in the wrong section. moderators pls help move it to the romance section cry cry
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by MrCork17: 3:50pm On Aug 30, 2011
shadrach77:

many atimes we hear people say 'i want to toast that girl' or a lady would say 'that guy toasted me' and we have come to see it as proper grammar rather than a slang. i however checked the dictionary meaning and nowhere did it say that the word 'toast' means 'asking a lady out' or 'asking to date a lady' so what is the origin of this popular slang? how did it come to become part of our vocaboulary? 

huh? many atimes? shadrach77 did you ever attended English Comprehension? undecided
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by freecocoa(f): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2011
See this 1,you don't have a good comprehension of †ђξ english language and you think you can correct someone who made no mistake.
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by MrCork17: 4:45pm On Aug 30, 2011
***wonders if they uses spell check in Nigeria undecided ***
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by MMM2(m): 5:32pm On Aug 30, 2011
huh
embarassedembarassedembarassed
Re: How Did The Word 'toast' Come To Replace 'ask Out' In Our Grammar? by Serpentine(f): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2011
Here in the UK it has long(centuries) been a tradition to 'toast' a bride, or to toast a couple when they marry. It was also comman to make a toast (raise a glass of wine and make a speech) to a beautiful woman.

In this case, toast means to make a speech of praise.

It is usually full of compliments and courtesies. I would imagine this is the basis of how the word toast is used in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Ghanian Women Are The Most Romantic In West Africa.. / Can You Marry Or Go Out With An eppileptic??? / How To Make Your Dream Girl Your Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.