Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" (9248 Views)

Core Arsenal Couple Celebrate Their Wedding In An Amazing Way (Photo) / Marriage In Absentia(pics) / Wedding In Absentia Using Pictures: Your Take (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 12:05am On Aug 30, 2011
I am new so please go easy on me.

I would like to know what it means to do a wedding in absentia. I first heard of it during the Mercy Johnson saga but then I seem to keep hearing of it. How can you have someone else represent you on your wedding day? I do not understand the concept of this at all. Why is this getting more popular (or am I just noticing this trend  undecided) ?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by r231(m): 12:08am On Aug 30, 2011
hmmmm. . . . . wedding or engagement?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 12:16am On Aug 30, 2011
I guess engagement. I have heard and seen pictures of traditional marriage also being done without one of the spouses present. This sounds a bit weird to me. I cannot imagine not having my soon-to-be husband not there on the day of our engagement or traditional wedding leaving to me to do the wedding with his "representative". I have heard of picture cardboard cut-outs being used in the place of an individual  shocked
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by r231(m): 12:24am On Aug 30, 2011
it depends. . . . if one of them is not in the country or have a way of getting there

my brother had one of those cus he left his fiancee when he traveled and when everything is sorted he went bck home for the wedding

not a big deal
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 12:33am On Aug 30, 2011
r231:

it depends. . . . if one of them is not in the country or have a way of getting there

my brother had one of those cus he left his fiancee when he traveled and when everything is sorted he went bck home for the wedding

not a big deal

When you say sorted, you make it sound like some of the rites of marriage might have been a hassle so he waited till it was all done before coming back for presumably, the white wedding. I thought the whole process is meant to be the best part of getting married and if anything would be inconvenient to any of the parties then it should be scrapped rather than leaving one person to attend their engagement party on their own.

I understand it is not a big deal to some people and that is why is exists but I wanted to know why.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by r231(m): 12:36am On Aug 30, 2011
diff reasons darling

depending on pples situation

what i mean by sorted is. . . . when he came to UK he doesn't have papers to travel and he doesn't want to lose his woman at the same time so the family have to go there and do the engagement without him
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 10:32am On Aug 30, 2011
Bump bump bump . . .
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by tpia5: 10:39am On Aug 30, 2011
Yes, its something people do.

Next topic please.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by MMM2(m): 10:48am On Aug 30, 2011
lurkee

come 2 my house 2 nite let me explain it 2 u very well undecidedundecidedundecided
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by onechance(m): 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2011
So if the bride/groom is absent on the wedding day who is going grace the matrimonial bed on the wedding nite, Is it the standing bride/groom ?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by mozez25(m): 4:12pm On Aug 30, 2011
i've seen it once it so funny & wired i don't tink it's realy nice
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by maclatunji: 4:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
I cannot explain or justify it. It is just another peculiar Nigerian wasteful and indefensible construct.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by 2mch(m): 4:22pm On Aug 30, 2011
Yeap! It is called traditional marriage. Afterall traditional marriage is all about the extended families exchanging dowry and showing intent/interest in a union. Not so much the children involved. Now court marriage or registry where you sign the contract and are bound by law requires the presence of the couple.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by agitator: 4:24pm On Aug 30, 2011
more of an igbo culture. bride can even marry without haven't met the hubby.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2011
Yay!  grin grin grin I made it to the first page. Hoping more people who do not think this is weird would chime in.
I still do not get why someone thought this is a good idea. As in, "Oh I cannot make my traditional wedding to my fiancée, I would send my brother instead."  shocked The poor bride (or groom) has to then explain to her kids that their dad could not make the wedding so the man in the picture is representing him.  Weird!  undecided
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by joudini(m): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2011
agitator:

more of an igbo culture. bride can even marry without haven't met the hubby.

Were you forced at gun point to type this?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by Greenslim: 6:01pm On Aug 30, 2011
beta than not done.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by coogar: 6:26pm On Aug 30, 2011
lurkee:

Yay!  grin grin grin I made it to the first page. Hoping more people who do not think this is weird would chime in.
I still do not get why someone thought this is a good idea. As in, "Oh I cannot make my traditional wedding to my fiancée, I would send my brother instead."  shocked The poor bride (or groom) has to then explain to her kids that their dad could not make the wedding so the man in the picture is representing him.  Weird!  undecided

what's the big deal?
if it bothers the bride so much, they can always do another church wedding later.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by tlops(m): 6:35pm On Aug 30, 2011
Money talks bullsh!t works.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by gijaney: 7:43pm On Aug 30, 2011
the original practice was to marry when the intended groom was away at war. now it has become something else
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by Kc0022000(m): 8:59pm On Aug 30, 2011
Next topic please, why is this on the front page?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2011
gijaney:

the original practice was to marry when the intended groom was away at war. now it has become something  else
I have never heard that before. That makes a lot of sense.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 10:24pm On Aug 30, 2011
Kc0022000:

Next topic please, why is this on the front page?
Maybe because I am new?  undecided Why did you feel the need to come here and say next topic though? You could have easily clicked on another topic and saved yourself the hassle.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by tpia5: 10:28pm On Aug 30, 2011
^^kindly stop insulting people's culture, ok?

some couples do it for whatever reason and the fact that you dont understand why doesnt make it any less valid.

nobody has to justify anything to you.

its usually done by people who have never been married before ie first timers and the main reason is the couple are out of the country and unable to return for the wedding.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by r231(m): 10:30pm On Aug 30, 2011
new ma arse. . . . P4M in the making undecided undecided
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by Kc0022000(m): 10:57pm On Aug 30, 2011
lurkee:

Maybe because I am new?  undecided Why did you feel the need to come here and say next topic though? You could have easily clicked on another topic and saved yourself the hassle.
what is special being new to the forum ? Shut your trap for once. who are you for the forum to justify why people take part in abstention wedding. Forum members above gave you reason so what is your problem? This kind of topic made front page and your happy u made front page, I think the moderators in here should start looking out
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by coogar: 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
r231:

new ma arse. . . . P4M in the making undecided undecided

good job!
she's definitely pretty4me. same font color and she asks the most ridiculous questions ever.
i think her main objective on nairaland is to make the most topics by december.

her topics range from the most senseless to the most laughable.
"why do people laugh"
"why do people cry"
"do you suck tits"
"can birds fly"

she's so idiotic. cheesy
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 11:16pm On Aug 30, 2011
Kc0022000:

what is special being new to the forum ? Shut your trap for once. who are you for the forum to justify why people take part in abstention wedding. Forum members above gave you reason so what is your problem? This kind of topic made front page and your happy u made front page, I think the moderators in here should start looking out 
I actually did not ask people to justify their choices to me, I asked for an explanation. I think the mods moved the thread and also changed the title. I was just curious. I did not mean to cause offence to anybody.

There is nothing wrong in asking for more opinions on a  matter so you have no right to tell me to "shut my trap". If my happiness at being new and making front page bothered you so much, just keep it moving.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by amarula(f): 5:18am On Aug 31, 2011
lurkee:

I actually did not ask people to justify their choices to me, I asked for an explanation. I think the mods moved the thread and also changed the title. I was just curious. I did not mean to cause offence to anybody.

There is nothing wrong in asking for more opinions on a  matter so you have no right to tell me to "shut my trap". If my happiness at being new and making front page bothered you so much, just keep it moving.

very nicely said
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by blacklion(m): 7:05am On Aug 31, 2011
In the modern era, marriage in absentia is mostly done by those based abroad who cannot travel to Nigeria for the traditional marriage either due to costs or because they don't have valid immigration status and may not be able to return to their base.

However, marriage in absentia has always been part and parcel of the customary law of marriage in Nigeria. Keep in mind that marriage in African culture is primarily a union between extended families and not the couple per se. The concept of marriage as a union between an individual man and an individual woman to the exclusion of others (including natal or extended family) is a novelty which became popular in Nigeria relatively recently due to Western religious and cultural influence.

Therefore, in most Nigerian cultures, there is no absolute requirement that both or any one spouse must be physically present for a traditional marriage to be valid. In fact, both spouses can be absent. Mind you, Nigerian parents historically had the right to select spouses for their children and even perform the traditional marriage ceremonies without the child being physically present. This is why you used to hear about parents in the village marrying wives for their sons in the township or abroad even without the guy's knowledge and the woman is shipped to him afterwards. This is also why you to hear about a girl coming home from the farm or school one day to meet the new in-laws paying bride-price to her father, meanwhile she has not even set eyes before on the man that is supposed to be her husband.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by agitator: 10:07am On Aug 31, 2011
blacklion:

This is why you used to hear about parents in the village marrying wives for their sons in the township or abroad even without the guy's knowledge and the woman is shipped to him afterwards. This is also why you to hear about a girl coming home from the farm or school one day to meet the new in-laws paying bride-price to her father, meanwhile she has not even set eyes before on the man that is supposed to be her husband.

Very true wink wink wink wink
Re: Can Someone Please Explain/Justify: "Wedding In Absentia" by lurkee(f): 10:42am On Aug 31, 2011
blacklion:

In the modern era, marriage in absentia is mostly done by those based abroad who cannot travel to Nigeria for the traditional marriage either due to costs or because they don't have valid immigration status and may not be able to return to their base.

However, marriage in absentia has always been part and parcel of the customary law of marriage in Nigeria. Keep in mind that marriage in African culture is primarily a union between extended families and not the couple per se.  The concept of marriage as a union between an individual man and an individual woman to the exclusion of others (including natal or extended family) is a novelty which became popular in Nigeria relatively recently due to Western religious and cultural influence.

Therefore, in most Nigerian cultures, there is no absolute requirement that both or any one spouse must be physically present for a traditional marriage to be valid. In fact, both spouses can be absent. Mind you, Nigerian parents historically had the right to select spouses for their children and even perform the traditional marriage ceremonies without the child being physically present. This is why you used to hear about parents in the village marrying wives for their sons in the township or abroad even without the guy's knowledge and the woman is shipped to him afterwards. This is also why you to hear about a girl coming home from the farm or school one day to meet the new in-laws paying bride-price to her father, meanwhile she has not even set eyes before on the man that is supposed to be her husband.

Thanks for the thorough and well written reply. I think you have said it all and my curiosity thanks you.

I do not know why I thought it was a new trend and did not associate it with the traditional practise of an arranged marriage. Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Had An Affair!! / Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / Bombshell As Fertility Study In Nigeria Shows Male Infertility Rates Higher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.