Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology (12420 Views)

Compelling Evidence That The Bible Is True - Fulfilled Prophecy / Somali Religion & Mythology / Part Of The Bible Is Straight From Egyptian Mythology(plagiarism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 1:27am On Aug 30, 2011
[b]There is irrefutable, concrete evidence that the Jesus of the bible and the bible itself is taken from the myth of many pagan gods as well as the gods and mythology of Egypt and the Mediterranean. If you research gods like Mithra, Krishna, and just the idea of the "sun God/ son of God" you will be fascinated by how much was copied. They all share the same exact story of the savior, messiah, etc which was turned into the bible Jesus. However, these stories were written thousands of years before the bible. Mediterranean cultures in the ancient world shared standard ideas about gods and their powers and place in the universe and Christianity and the bible simply adopted those ideas and applied them to Jesus as is seen in the bible.

Heaven, hell, prophecy, demon possession, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with God through a holy meal, the Holy Spirit, monotheism, immortality of the soul, and many other  ideas of the bible all belonged to earlier, older Pagan faiths. They were simply part of ancient Mediterranean culture. Along with miracle working sons of god, born of a mortal woman, they were common elements of pre-Christian Pagan religion. Research Mithras, Dionysus, Attis, Osiris, Krishna, and Orpheus. And more. before you simple say you do not believe, you should take a look.

Mithra who came before Jesus is described as 'the Way,' 'the Truth,' 'the Light,' 'the Life,' 'the Word,' 'the Son of God,' 'the Good Shepherd.' The idea of Jesus was taken from this.  The Bible is not the inerrant word of God but a compilation of writings by men at this time. Mithras is often represented as carrying a lamb on his shoulders, just as Jesus is. The virgin mother, was easily merged with the virgin mother Mary. Petra, the sacred rock of Mithraism, became Peter, the foundation of the Christian Church.

The list goes on and on.  This is historical fact.  There may be some evidence of a man named Jesus living.  However, the book of Thomas and the book of the Gnostics were left out of the Bible on purpose by Constantine. They did not conform to the narrow interpretation of scripture that he wanted his subjects to follow. Yet, they tell us of a very different Jesus - one who had brothers and a wife and children.  So you see the books of the bible as you know today were chosen as a form of control for people at that time and are not any inerrant word. This is made clear by the primitive thoughts about women and restrictive unrealistic views of ideas like divorce.  For example, at that time women were not seen as equal so to divorce one would put her in harms way.  People also did not live as long so the notion of spending one's entire life with the same person was not so difficult when life ended at 30 years old instead of 90 or 100.  There is much more evidence of where the bible stories and all come from.  Facts you should research unless you choose to just follow blindly.  I understand how scripture and the bible can provide some solace for people and I do not intend to take this from you, but the truth can offer even more peace and a real fulfilling life.  It is also understandable to feel special and set apart from beliefs that one has taken from the bible.  however, it is no different than believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, when you really examine it, it is not real.  beliefs in the end times and judgment days help people to cope with the pain of being alive.  however, this is all delusion and cause people to do things and live in ways that are equal to just bad judgment.[/b]
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 1:32am On Aug 30, 2011
ah the same bible = mithraism claims. lol what's new?
We've heard it all before.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 1:37am On Aug 30, 2011
Yes, well maybe one day you will listen! When you are ready to give up your bible security blanket. These are facts, your bible is fiction.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 30, 2011
nodogma:

Yes, well maybe one day you will listen! When you are ready to give up your bible security blanket. These are facts, your bible is fiction.

no 345873th atheist today crying about "facts" when he knows nothing about it. grin
Next?
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

no 345873th atheist today crying about "facts" when he knows nothing about it. grin
Next?

davidylan, just a quick question; you might have been asked it before - I don't know, but you're free to answer it.

What makes you thiink the bible is the inerrant word of God as opposed to other holy books? Just curious.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 1:53am On Aug 30, 2011
phxc:

davidylan, just a quick question; you might have been asked it before - I don't know, but you're free to answer it.

What makes you thiink the bible is the inerrant word of God as opposed to other holy books? Just curious.

Its illogical, it makes no sense . . . but i firmly believe that Jesus Christ IS LORD of all and His word is TRUTH. I will be just fine leaving this world with that firm faith, if i'm wrong . . . no problem but you better hope i'm not right. grin
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 2:04am On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

Its illogical, it makes no sense . . . but i firmly believe that Jesus Christ IS LORD of all and His word is TRUTH. I will be just fine leaving this world with that firm faith, if i'm wrong . . . no problem but you better hope i'm not right. grin

Alright, I geddit, although I would like to know what is illogical and makes no sense - my question or the word of God. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 2:05am On Aug 30, 2011
phxc:

Alright, I geddit, although I would like to know what is illogical and makes no sense - my question or the word of God. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Even the bible is quite clear, the bible is foolishness to those who dont believe. You are free to disbelieve.

1 Like

Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 2:11am On Aug 30, 2011
@davidylan But why is not foolishness to you? Do you find a certain comfort in believing something that is not true? Or, do you just choose not to question? The bible causes alot of harm to people. For example, women stay in abusive marriages because they believe the bible is against divorce. Families are broken and attrocities have occurred because of this book. So, it is difficult for some to just sit back and not question.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

Even the bible is quite clear, the bible is foolishness to those who dont believe. You are free to disbelieve.

But davidylan, isn't there a possibility that the bible is wrong or not all that correct about all it says? Isn't there a possibilty that the bible is foolishness to all who don't believe because it is actually foolishness? Your thoughts.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by kandiikane(m): 2:52am On Aug 30, 2011
This is no news. I won't be surprised if in about a 100 years the bible becomes a myth just like all the past religions that are now referred to as myths.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by mazaje(m): 2:57am On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

Good selling point. . . grin. . . Declare the book as foolishness to others so that those who believe in it can sleep quietly at night while believing in the myths, lies and baseless stories of men who thought that if they could build a tower that reached the sky they will see the creator of the universe. . .I have news for you. . .The Koran says the same. . .
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by mazaje(m): 3:07am On Aug 30, 2011
phxc:

But davidylan, isn't there a possibility that the bible is wrong or not all that correct about all it says? Isn't there a possibilty that the bible is foolishness to all who don't believe because it is actually foolishness? Your thoughts.

He is able to see through the foolishness of other religions and their baseless stories and assertions, heck he is able to see through some of the baseless assertions of some scientific theories but for childhood indoctrination, he still accepts that a donkey can speak the human language, a person was created from sand, the earth was in existence before the sun and other stars, a man lived inside a fish for 3 days, human started speaking different languages because some God hiding in the sky did not want people to build a tower and see him hiding in the clouds so he confused their tongue, the entire earth was once flooded, killing people because they worship other Gods is right, there is a crazy and imaginary being called satan that makes people do bad things grin, a man lived ,died and resurrected after 3 days. . . and so many other fooolish tales that have absolutely NO evidence what ever to back them up but the faith cake, which is nothing but believing that something is true because you want it to be true. . .
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 4:01am On Aug 30, 2011
nodogma:

@davidylan But why is not foolishness to you? Do you find a certain comfort in believing something that is not true? Or, do you just choose not to question? The bible causes alot of harm to people. For example, women stay in abusive marriages because they believe the bible is against divorce. Families are broken and attrocities have occurred because of this book. So, it is difficult for some to just sit back and not question.

what is it to you? You can ignore the bible. Its not by force.

phxc:

Its not foolishness to me and if i end up wrong . . . no probs. Why are you particularly worried about my reading of the bible?

mazaje:

Good selling point. . . grin. . . Declare the book as foolishness to others so that those who believe in it can sleep quietly at night while believing in the myths, lies and baseless stories of men who thought that if they could build a tower that reached the sky they will see the creator of the universe. . .I have news for you. . .The Koran says the same. . .

e pain you? grin

mazaje:

He is able to see through the foolishness of other religions and their baseless stories and assertions, heck he is able to see through some of the baseless assertions of some scientific theories but for childhood indoctrination, he still accepts that a donkey can speak the human language, a person was created from sand, the earth was in existence before the sun and other stars, a man lived inside a fish for 3 days, human started speaking different languages because some God hiding in the sky did not want people to build a tower and see him hiding in the clouds so he confused their tongue, the entire earth was once flooded, killing people because they worship other Gods is right, there is a crazy and imaginary being called satan that makes people do bad things grin, a man lived ,died and resurrected after 3 days. . . and so many other fooolish tales that have absolutely NO evidence what ever to back them up but the faith cake, which is nothing but believing that something is true because you want it to be true. . .

Every man is entitled to his beliefs.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by claremont(m): 7:48am On Aug 30, 2011
I wonder what makes people hold tenaciously to a book that is made up of lies and deceit. Most Theologists have concluded that 80% of the tales written in the bible never happened, and are purely based on either fiction, or maybe the writers were probably drunk on wine at the time of writing. Why a whole mass of people still choose to base their belief on lies, myths, and deceit is totally beyond me!
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by denitro(m): 9:02am On Aug 30, 2011
Your point doesn't make sense,
- The Mithraic Mysteries were a mystery religion practised in the Roman Empire from about the 1st to 4th centuries AD.
(One will wonder why you will compare a mystery religion invented after the death of Christ to Christianity)

- The Hare Krishna mantra, also referred to reverentially as the Maha Mantra ("Great Mantra"wink, is a sixteen-word Vaishnava mantra which first appeared in the Kali-
Santarana Upanishad, and which from the 15th century rose to importance in the Bhakti movement following the teachings of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
(How could the early christians have copied something from the 15th century,

- Mythology of Egypt - Origin of Egypt - Egyptus is the name of one is the wife of Ham, son of Noah, who discovers Egypt, she placed her eldest son on the
throne as Pharaoh, the first king of Egypt, Everything done in Egypt was an exact replicate of what she saw her grandfather Noah do in relation to the priesthood,
since Ham was cursed to the priesthood Book of Genesis 9:20-27, Egyptus created an exact replicate of the priesthood and practised it. Your so called Mythology of
Eqypt was copied from GUESS - NOAH. So in essence ur so called argument that the bible copied itself doesn't make sense.

- sun god - Variations of this pagan holiday flourished throughout the first few centuries after Jesus Christ, but it probably wasn't until 336 AD that Emperor
Constantine officially converted this pagan tradition into the "Christian" holiday of Christmas.

PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH WELL, A LOT OF PEOPLE ON NAIRALAND ARE NOT AS DUMB AS YOU THINK,
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by InesQor(m): 9:41am On Aug 30, 2011
Acts 10:34-36 (The Message)

Peter fairly exploded with his good news: "It's God's own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites! It makes no difference who you are or where you're from—if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open.

I believe the text highlighted in red above has always been true. There is one God, who knows those who know him, and some people outside the line of Abraham also knew him. Refer to Job from the East as an example; how did he know God, even at a time long before Abraham had faith in God? But there are also many shadows of falsehood, likewise worshipped; so not every instance of prehistoric theism is about the real God.

Nothing was copied from / to anywhere. This is a case of various subjects observing the same events on the eternal spiritual timeline, made privy by God to the revelations of the same truths. Various witness accounts, subjective to each witness' observation. And the clincher to the truths was Jesus Christ's self-appearance on the scene, to clear any doubts about the same things that had been believed, understood, practised for ages. He finally showed up on the scene.

This is my submission, and you don't have to take it.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by InesQor(m): 9:55am On Aug 30, 2011
More:-

Eliphaz asked: “Will you keep to the old way which wicked men have trod, who were cut down before their time, whose foundations were swept away by a flood?” (Job 22:15-16).

Job obviously lived after Noah's flood, and other inferences show that he lived before Abraham and Moses.

Meanwhile let's set Job Aside. Jethro, father of Moses' wife Zipporah, is another example of a priest who knew God. In the backside of the wilderness of Midian, Jethro knew this same true God. How? Have you ever wondered?  undecided Realize that Jethro was a MIDIAN priest, a Kenite shepherd, not an Israelite descendant of Abraham.

Midian was along the Gulf of Aqaba, modern northwestern Saudi Arabia.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by InesQor(m): 10:14am On Aug 30, 2011
I believe the story of the tower of Babel was a real occurrence; and it was when languages appeared out of nowhere that "religions" also metamorphosed in various diversions and directions. With the "confusion", each people had their own telling and understanding of first-hand and second-hand spiritual experiences and truths, which gradually evolved in line with their cultures and languages. Many prehistoric religions have a description of semblances of Noah's Flood and of the Tower of Strife / Confusion, two major events that changed and defined their cultures.

One of the most interesting tellings is found in the Book of Jubilees (also called The Lesser Genesis) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Jubilees

And they began to build, and in the fourth week they made brick with fire, and the bricks served them for stone, and the clay with which they cemented them together was asphalt which comes out of the sea, and out of the fountains of water in the land of Shinar. And they built it: forty and three years were they building it; its breadth was 203 bricks, and the height [of a brick] was the third of one; its height amounted to 5433 cubits and 2 palms, and [the extent of one wall was] thirteen stades [and of the other thirty stades]. (Jubilees 10:20-21, Charles' 1913 translation)

That is THREE times the height of the Burj Khalifa, the currently TALLEST structure on earth. Now, imagine these prehistoric men building something that tall! It must have taken years (Book of Jubilees says 43 years) and involved lots of human labour and deaths. There are, probably then, lost sciences employed in the construction (maybe these sciences were rediscovered in the middle ages or modern day). All of that concentration on a vain task (and in defiance of God) was probably why God scattered them at that time.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by thehomer: 11:07am On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

davidylan:

And here, we have excellent demonstrations of what it means to have a cult like thinking. Something makes no sense, you agree it makes no sense yet you believe it?
Wow. I hope you know that even people who are hallucinating and know they are hallucinating do not go ahead to believe their hallucinations. Your entire argument is based on first believing the premises regardless of what is demonstrably true or false. That is the true nature of religious faith and its parallel of cult like thinking.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by thehomer: 11:20am On Aug 30, 2011
InesQor:

I believe the story of the tower of Babel was a real occurrence; and it was when languages appeared out of nowhere that "religions" also metamorphosed in various diversions and directions. With the "confusion", each people had their own telling and understanding of first-hand and second-hand spiritual experiences and truths, which gradually evolved in line with their cultures and languages. Many prehistoric religions have a description of semblances of Noah's Flood and of the Tower of Strife / Confusion, two major events that changed and defined their cultures.

One of the most interesting tellings is found in the Book of Jubilees (also called The Lesser Genesis) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Jubilees

And they began to build, and in the fourth week they made brick with fire, and the bricks served them for stone, and the clay with which they cemented them together was asphalt which comes out of the sea, and out of the fountains of water in the land of Shinar. And they built it: forty and three years were they building it; its breadth was 203 bricks, and the height [of a brick] was the third of one; its height amounted to 5433 cubits and 2 palms, and [the extent of one wall was] thirteen stades [and of the other thirty stades]. (Jubilees 10:20-21, Charles' 1913 translation)

That is THREE times the height of the Burj Khalifa, the currently TALLEST structure on earth. Now, imagine these prehistoric men building something that tall! It must have taken years (Book of Jubilees says 43 years) and involved lots of human labour and deaths. There are, probably then, lost sciences employed in the construction (maybe these sciences were rediscovered in the middle ages or modern day). All of that concentration on a vain task (and in defiance of God) was probably why God scattered them at that time.

You believe this tower of Babel was a true occurrence? Here are some questions that automatically follow.
Where was this tower built? When was it built? Are there any remains? And other similar questions.

Then consider what we know about languages and their relationships.
This is from the Wikipedia page you linked:

Wikipedia:
The Book of Jubilees (Hebrew: ספר היובלים Sepher hayYobhelim), sometimes called Lesser Genesis (Leptogenesis), is an ancient Jewish religious work, considered one of the Pseudepigrapha by most Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant Churches. However, Jubilees is considered to be canonical by the Ethiopian Jews and Ethiopian Orthodox Church, where it is known as the Book of Division (Ge'ez: Mets'hafe Kufale).
. . . .

Origins
And yet, many scholars continue to ascribe to Robert Henry Charles's view that Jubilees could not have been written before the events of 1 Maccabees, due to perceived cryptic references within the text. As a result, general reference works such as the Oxford Annotated Bible and the Mercer Bible Dictionary conclude the work can be dated to 160–150 BC.
. . . .

Content
According to this book, Hebrew is the language of Heaven, and was originally spoken by all creatures in the Garden, animals and man, however the animals lost their power of speech when Adam and Eve were expelled. Some time following the Deluge, the earth is apportioned into three divisions for the three sons of Noah, and his sixteen grandsons. After the destruction of the tower of Babel, their families were scattered to their respective allotments, and Hebrew was forgotten, until Abraham was taught it by the angels.
. . . .

Now, do you believe that Hebrew was the language of heaven and was spoken by all the creatures in the garden?
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Sweetnecta: 11:27am On Aug 30, 2011
This is a very interesting video. The segment between 1.30 mins to say 3.00 mins of just 4 mins long video intrigue me. This is because the jew[s] agree that their Bible is corrupted and God punished them by making things hard for them. Yet when it comes to talking about the prophet [as] someone got upset because he was not from the children of Israel, as if God does not have the Right to choose His elect, when the people continued to go against His Instruction.

The only reason the jews received favor from God is because of His relationship with Abraham [as]. Are the jews not just one of many branches that came from Abraham, Ismail [as] being the first major branch and Rasulullah [as] is from that first branch?

Allah has maintained His Covenant with Abraham all through, ending it with the major branch that was there to participate in the ratification of it by being circumcised.

God did not promise to prevent people from corrupting the earlier scriptures, but guarantees the purity of Quran and shall not allow it to be corrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gP_3ItIdrI&feature=relmfu
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by mazaje(m): 12:52pm On Aug 30, 2011
Sweetnecta:

This is a very interesting video. The segment between 1.30 mins to say 3.00 mins of just 4 mins long video intrigue me. This is because the jew[s] agree that their Bible is corrupted and God punished them by making things hard for them. Yet when it comes to talking about the prophet [as] someone got upset because he was not from the children of Israel, as if God does not have the Right to choose His elect, when the people continued to go against His Instruction.

The only reason the jews received favor from God is because of His relationship with Abraham [as]. Are the jews not just one of many branches that came from Abraham, Ismail [as] being the first major branch and Rasulullah [as] is from that first branch?

Allah has maintained His Covenant with Abraham all through, ending it with the major branch that was there to participate in the ratification of it by being circumcised.

God did not promise to prevent people from corrupting the earlier scriptures, but guarantees the purity of Quran and shall not allow it to be corrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gP_3ItIdrI&feature=relmfu

What the hell is this deluded FOOOOOOL saying?. . . .
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Sweetnecta: 1:14pm On Aug 30, 2011
@Mazaje; i have to ignore you because you take the lid of all that is bad. responding to you is to honor you. from now on i will not respond to you.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2011
@denitro The same scrutiny that you used on my post you can use on the Bible and Biblical beliefs. If you did so I am sure you would find an enormous amount of inconsistencies and errors. So please, no one thinks anyone is stupid. All posts are offered for the point of further thinking and dialogue, not to blindly defend one view.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 1:27pm On Aug 30, 2011
@daviddylan No one specifically cares about your views. You offered them and so we have asked you questions to better understand what you are saying. If you don't want to be questioned, then do not post on the thread. It is that simple.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 30, 2011
nodogma:

@daviddylan No one specifically cares about your views. You offered them and so we have asked you questions to better understand what you are saying. If you don't want to be questioned, then do not post on the thread. It is that simple.

Actually, I asked him what makes him think the bible is the word of God and his response was that he firmly believes Jesus is Lord of all and his word is truth, take it or leave it. Fine, all well and good. What I don't understand is the effort he puts into castigating other non christian theists while he believes his "personal beliefs" as he calls it should be exempt from criticism. Aren't the others entitled to their personal beliefs?
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2011
phxc:

Actually, I asked him what makes him think the bible is the word of God and his response was that he firmly believes Jesus is Lord of all and his word is truth, take it or leave it. Fine, all well and good. What I don't understand is the effort he puts into castigating other non christian theists while he believes his "personal beliefs" as he calls it should be exempt from criticism. Aren't the others entitled to their personal beliefs?

Well, he asked me why am I questioning him and my point is that I did not go and seek him out to question him (specifically for his views). He willingly came and posted on the discussion, so we are free to question him. Well it is clear that when one starts to question another's beliefs it creates a fear and anxiety in that person. One is removing a safety blanket that has been with this person his entire life. Once you remove that belief system from him, what will he have to replace it. Everyone cannot live in reality, it is too much to handle. Religion helps many people to deal with life and cope with anxiety, just like drugs, alcohol, and sex do for others. That is why religion is called the opiate of the people and why so many are afraid to let it go.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by InesQor(m): 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2011
thehomer:

You believe this tower of Babel was a true occurrence? Here are some questions that automatically follow.
Where was this tower built? When was it built? Are there any remains? And other similar questions.

Then consider what we know about languages and their relationships.
This is from the Wikipedia page you linked:

Now, do you believe that Hebrew was the language of heaven and was spoken by all the creatures in the garden?

@thehomer:

Thanks for your response. You see, I am not so rigid in my thoughts. What this means is that I do not believe ALL that is in the Book of Jubilees. My point is, assuming (since there is no way to know for sure) that the book was correct about the height, then indeed it would be a feat to behold at that time, and one can imagine how these men would declare that they are building a tower into the heavens (prehistoric times, thrice the height of our own tallest modern tower).

Okay lets say it was written in 160 B.C. as is speculated. How does this negate the fact that it may be correct? That may be the first transcription from oral sources. No one can know for sure, and your guess is only as good as mine.

As to the remains, Shinar was actually a valley region. Rubble and continental shifts may have covered stuff by now, I do not know. Just maybe in the future an expedition will reveal evidence, but since neither of us have positive or negative evidence, I will say there is THAT possibility that it was a real occurence.

If the Hebrews who wrote the book say Hebrew was the language of the heavens, then that is their own (probably biased) view. There is no way for me to tell, seeing that I have not been to heaven.

Regards.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 30, 2011
nodogma:

Depends on the type of "questions" asked. Some, like yours, are just completely inane and deserve no more than dismissive one-liners.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by nodogma: 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2011
@davidylan You stated that you can see why those who do not believe can see it as foolishness. So the question was posed: @davidylan But why is not foolishness to you? Do you find a certain comfort in believing something that is not true? Or, do you just choose not to question? The bible causes alot of harm to people. For example, women stay in abusive marriages because they believe the bible is against divorce. Families are broken and attrocities have occurred because of this book. So, it is difficult for some to just sit back and not question.

The question was sincere. But if your only response is to call it inane that is fine. The question is far from inane and is asked to try to understand your point of view because you posted one, which is what these forums are for.
Re: The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology by kandiikane(m): 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

Depends on the type of "questions" asked. Some, like yours, are just completely inane and deserve no more than dismissive one-liners.

Ahaha, just answer the damn  questions Mr.scientist. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Apocalyptic End Time Begins In 2014 / The Salvation Plan / Between Jesus And Mohammed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.