Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,740 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? (5550 Views)

Pls Help Me With Lineage(oriki) Of INISHA Osun State / Are African Americans Qualified To Be A Mixed Race Or Are They Not Mixed Enough? / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by emofine(f): 7:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
I am aware that in most cultures the child takes the lineage of the father irrespective of the mothers heritage.

However there are a few cultures that follow the reverse and instead the child's nationality is determined by the mother's background.

Well I began to ponder about those children with duel heritage which clashes. . . i.e if a Ghanaian lady (which I believe takes the maternal side) was to bear a child for a Nigerian man (which gives preeminence to the paternal side) then which nationality does the child then assume?

Also if the scenario was switched around . . thus the mother is Nigerian (which takes the man's lineage) and the father happens to be Ghanaian (which carries the mother's lineage). . . . again I ask which lineage does the child pursue?

Do they (the parents in question) agree with each other upon which lineage the child will follow?

Or do they settle the matter by allowing both cultures to persist in the child?

or are there other options available?
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by odumchi: 10:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
Personally, I think the child should take up both. He or she should learn the languages and cultures of both parents. Such a task isnt impossible since I know a few people who are of mixed ethnic origin (Yoruba father + Igbo mother) and still speak the native languages of both parents fluently and are very well educated baout the customs and traditions of both ethnicities.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2011
a mixed child must not and cannot take the lineage of either. he/she forms thei own category.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by emofine(f): 4:45pm On Sep 01, 2011
odumchi:

Personally, I think the child should take up both. He or she should learn the languages and cultures of both parents. Such a task isnt impossible since I know a few people who are of mixed ethnic origin (Yoruba  father + Igbo mother) and still speak the native languages of both parents fluently and are very well educated baout the customs and traditions of both ethnicities.

I believe many children of such makeup do acquire understanding of both cultures, usually one is more dominant. I think environment will be a very significant factor as well i.e. such a child may have grown up in his/her mother's country and thus adopted more custom from her heritage.

PAGAN  9JA:

a mixed child must not and cannot take the lineage of either. he/she forms thei own category.

lol like Tiger Woods formed "Cablasian" maybe they should forge their own language also abi tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:53pm On Sep 01, 2011
a mixed child is a lost cause. tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by emofine(f): 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

a mixed child is a lost cause. tongue

A mixed child has a doubly rich heritage smiley
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
The lineage depends on the environment. Most mixed children typically don't make a conscious decision as to which lineage they answer to. Environment decides that for them. For example, I know someone whose father is Ngwa and whose mother is Isu. The individual lives with the mother and typically is in the environment of the mother's associates. The person has made no conscious decision as to which lineage to align to, but in associating with others, the person just happens to end up presenting his/herself as Isu. It's not that the person means to do this. They just do. Even I (an Ngwa) don't make the Ngwa connection with said individual, even though I know that the person is Ngwa by descent.

So the environment is the major factor, in my opinion.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:59pm On Sep 01, 2011
emofine:

A mixed child has a doubly rich heritage smiley

no heritage. it has no direction.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

no heritage. it has no direction.

Words that could only have been written by an unrepentant ethnocentric grin angry sad

Why is ethnocentrism bad?
Ethnocentrism leads us to make false assumptions about cultural differences. We are ethnocentric when we use our cultural norms to make generalizations about other peoples' cultures and customs. Such generalizations -- often made without a conscious awareness that we've used our culture as a universal yardstick -- can be way off base and cause us to misjudge other peoples. Ethnocentrism can lead to cultural misinterpretation and it often distorts communication between human beings.
Read more -- [url]http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/ethno.htm[/url]
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Ndipe(m): 10:06pm On Sep 02, 2011
emofine:

I am aware that in most cultures the child takes the lineage of the father irrespective of the mothers heritage.

However there are a few cultures that follow the reverse and instead the child's nationality is determined by the mother's background.

Well I began to ponder about those children with duel heritage which clashes. . . i.e if a Ghanaian lady (which I believe takes the maternal side) was to bear a child for a Nigerian man (which gives preeminence to the paternal side) then which nationality does the child then assume?

Also if the scenario was switched around . . thus the mother is Nigerian (which takes the man's lineage) and the father happens to be Ghanaian (which carries the mother's lineage). . . . again I ask which lineage does the child pursue?

Do they (the parents in question) agree with each other upon which lineage the child will follow?

Or do they settle the matter by allowing both cultures to persist in the child?

or are there other options available?

I had this discussion with a girl from the Ashanti tribe of Ghana about the lineage of a child if she were to marry a Nigerian. And yeah, she said the child would be considered an Ashanti because lineage is traced through the mother's side. However, I think that it's upto the individual in the sense that the child would inherit both the father's property in Nigeria as well as his maternal relations in Ghana. As for determining which would be their ancestral home, that one get k-leg, but I am in favor of a child claiming his heritage through the father's side.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2011
a mixed child has NO tribe. claiming lineage through either side would be discriminatory. mixed child has MIXED BLOOD.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
mixed child has MIXED BLOOD.

And what is so special about the construct known as a tribe? Share some of your pearls of wisdom.

I thought whenever a man and woman produce a child, blood type is inherited from both parents - a fact that means even you have MIXED BLOOD
Or are you suggesting my F9 in Biology was truly deserved?
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
both my parents are from the same tribe as decreed by the laws of nature and the Gods. its jus like breeding dogs or horses. there are pure-breeds and there are mongrels. Pure breeds are more expensive because they r original and perform well.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 02, 2011
both my parents are from the same tribe as decreed by the laws of nature and the Gods. its jus like breeding dogs or horses. there are pure-breeds and there are mongrels. Pure breeds are more expensive because they r original and perform well.

Last time I checked purebred and mongrel are appellations that only apply to animals.
It is of some regret, I think, that we have someone like yourself who was probably educated at the taxpayers’ expense, arguing a case for eugenics in the year 2011.

First you advance some ill-thought out idea about Mixed Blood and when I corrected you on this, you resort to compartmentalizing your compatriots into categories long considered synonymous with certain types of animals.

The mind does boggle undecided

Mr Thoroughbred, this is my post from a different thread
Each of the 3 ethnic groups = Sum of tribes

Here is a useful explanation from a paper written by Aderemi Ajala --
http://www.africapeace.org/home/content/o/l/u/oluwakorede/html/images/file/Yoruba_Nationalist_Movement.pdf

" It could be said rather that the Yoruba people in Nigeria are a cultural group that has over the years, especially when the conceived and perceived sense of marginalization is high, imagined themselve as a nation. Since the people are not entirely culturally homogenous, it is doubtful if certain elements of a nation exist among them. The Yoruba are made up of  about 23 sub-groups which use about eight distinct versions (dialects) of Yoruba languages that are not entirely mutually intelligible. While these dialects are often referred to as the Yoruba dialects, some of them that are really mutually intelligible may be referred to as different languages. While it is agreed that all of them belong to the same language group – Kwa division of Niger-Kordofanian-- some of them like Igbomina, Oyo, Egba, Ilorin, Ibolo; Ijebu and Remo among others that have higher degree of mutual intelligibility may be regarded as dialects"

"The eight distinct languages used in the Yoruba territory are:
1. Oyo with Igbomina, Egba, Ilorin, O’kun and Oke-ogun derivations, mostly used in the North, West, East and Central regions;
2. Ife spoken in the Central region;
3. Ijesa spoken in the Central-eastern region;
4. Ilaje with Ikale, mostly used in the South-eastern region;
5. Ondo with Akoko and Owo derivations spoken in the Eastern regions;
6. Ekiti spoken in the East-western region;
7. Ijebu spoken in the East-southern region;
8. Egun with Awori derivation spoken in the Southern region.

Each of these language groups remains largely incomprehensible to the other, suggesting the absence of mutual intelligibility
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 12:03am On Sep 03, 2011
its not a big deal, sheesh.

in nigeria, a mixed child takes the father's side.

in a matrilineal society, the child goes with the mother.

in nigeria, you only go with your mother if you were raised in her culture, meaning for whatever reason your father wasnt available either physically or emotionally.

for mixed race children with nigerian fathers, you go with both sides.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:04am On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Last time I checked purebred and mongrel are appellations that only apply to animals.
It is of some regret, I think, that we have someone like yourself who was probably educated at the taxpayers’ expense, arguing a case for eugenics in the year 2011.

First you advance some ill-thought out idea about Mixed Blood and when I corrected you on this, you resort to compartmentalizing your compatriots into categories long considered synonymous with certain types of animals.

The mind does boggle undecided

Mr Thoroughbred, this is my post from a different thread

man is an animal. you might be more  intelligent or powerful, but you are no differrent from your fellow creatures. drop the false pride.

as for your quote, the only difference between the 23 Yoruba septs / sub-tribes is that of language. but they belonged to the same RACE and shared common blood.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 03, 2011
To be clear, not even the our clannish Somali brethren can lay claim to the kind of linear purity you proclaim to have with such audacity.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:12am On Sep 03, 2011
the Somali are mixed with the arabs and there are even some descended from the failed expedition of the 13th century Chinese-Mongol explorer, Zheng He's crew who intermarried with the locals.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 12:13am On Sep 03, 2011
man is an animal <=>  An animal is human grin
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 12:15am On Sep 03, 2011
the Somali are mixed with th arabs

arabs, persians, turks, capoids(?), etc.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:15am On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

man is an animal <=> An animal is human grin

^no. the above is an irreversible equation.

man is a subgroup of animal.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:17am On Sep 03, 2011
tpia@:

arabs, persians, turks, capoids(?), etc.

they are even mixed with camels. which explains why they are so dumb. tongue
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 12:20am On Sep 03, 2011
It is not an equation. It does not balance out.
I simply brought dialetical reasoning to bear, that's all.

A racist would sooner argue we are not equal and refuse to see what similarities we bear.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 03, 2011
You are taught man is an animal in your African traditional religion? grin
Which religion might that be?
I ask because it might help if I understood what tangent you are coming off.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:54am On Sep 03, 2011
in our religion, we do not discriminate against animals, because we know we are the same.

also, science has proven that we are animals and come under the category of mammals. so stop being so ignorant. angry
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 03, 2011
You are playing too smart by half, why don't you simply answer the question.
What African Traditional Religion (?) does not distinguish humans from animals? grin
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2011
When you tell people to go easy on the "i am liberated and therefore must date anyhow and anywhere" mentality, they think you're being jealous.

Imo, you are only being driven by selfishness and not considering what the proucts of such unions have to face from jobless guerillas who make it their duty to poke noses in other people's business simply because they saw someone who is mixed.

Just a general statement and nothing to do with pagan or guerilla who are also on the thread.

Having "designer" kids (to satisfy your ego) but refusing to accept the fact that while it may be good for you, is it good for them.

And many of such kids end up with such bitter, hateful personalities (blazay is one example) that it makes you wonder.

Not saying the unmixed ones are any better in the absence of proper parental training.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 3:58pm On Sep 03, 2011
a mixed child must not and cannot take the lineage of either. he/she forms thei own category

i actually have no objection to this statement (but i do for the animal stuff) even though pagan and I are at opposing ends of any world view (especially religion).

after all, america today is the result of mixture, and pagan's statement does reflect reality.

however, in nigeria, you take your father's side and I dont see anything wrong with that either, moreso you are closer to your roots and as such, will know the culture.

just make the best of the situation., in a nutshell.

people do not always understand the implications of what they do and this includes the topic being discussed.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:28pm On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

You are playing too smart by half, why don't you simply answer the question.
What African Traditional Religion (?) does not distinguish humans from animals? grin

all traditional religions have an underlying unity in the basis, be it my Hausa reigion, Orisha, Native American Traditional religion (different Native tribes follow different religion) or Buddhism or Hinduism or Ancient Egyptian religion or the Shinto religion, or the now extinct Greek/Roman religion, etc.

Let me post a beauiful prayer of the Sioux Tribe of North America:

Mitakuye Oyasin:

Aho Mitakuye Oyasin, All my relations. I honor you in this circle of life with me today. I am grateful for this opportunity to acknowledge you in this prayer,

To the Creator, for the ultimate gift of life, I thank you.

To the mineral nation that has built and maintained my bones and all foundations of life experience, I thank you.

To the plant nation that sustains my organs and body and gives me healing herbs for sickness, I thank you.

To the animal nation that feeds me from your own flesh and offers your loyal companionship in this walk of life, I thank you.

To the human nation that shares my path as a soul upon the sacred wheel of Earthly life, I thank you.

To the Spirit nation that guides me invisibly through the ups and downs of life and for carrying the torch of light through the Ages, I thank you.

To the Four Winds of Change and Growth, I thank you.

You are all my relations, my relatives, without whom I would not live. We are in the circle of life together, co-existing, co-dependent, co-creating our destiny. One, not more important than the other. One nation evolving from the other and yet each dependent upon the one above and the one below. All of us a part of the Great Mystery.

Thank you for this Life.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 03, 2011
See how the Sioux Tribe of North America make a clear distinction between the animal nation and the human nation, thereby knocking your erroneous classification of some humans as mongrels on the head ? grin grin grin
Recall how I had earlier argued this particular appellation - for good or bad -  is reserved for animals.

If only you'd been a little more forthright much earlier on, I could have saved myself some keystrokes grin

To the animal nation that feeds me from your own flesh and offers your loyal companionship in this walk of life, I thank you.

To the human nation that shares my path as a soul upon the sacred wheel of Earthly life, I thank you.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by tpia5: 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2011
Let me clarify my previous post btw, since i'm one of the people saying a nigerian women should date and marry outside their ethnicity more.

If you're waiting for someone from your own ethnicity to date you, and none are forthcoming, then imo go with whoever is available instead of some dream.

The issue of designer children does not apply becasue the designer kids are mainly for show off as opposed to any serious parental feeling.
Re: Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:23pm On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

See how the Sioux Tribe of North America make a clear distinction between the animal nation and the human nation, thereby knocking your erroneous classification of some humans as mongrels on the head ? grin grin grin
Recall how I had earlier argued this particular appellation - for good or bad -  is reserved for animals.

If only you'd been a little more forthright much earlier on, I could have saved myself some keystrokes grin

you just highlighted what suits your ideology more. the next part goes as offers your loyal companionship in this walk of life, I thank you.

the Sioux man knows that some animals are food just lyk some animals such as the Grizzly Bear, knows that the Sioux man is food.  but at the same time, they both see each other as equals, more so, the Sioux man, since he probably has a greater reasoning capacity. and the Sioux also kept dogs who they treated as friends, shared the same tipi, ate the same food and always travelled toether. and a man who considers animals lowly, will never thank it. the Sioux man sees God in everyone and everything, be it his relatives, the animals, the plants, his fellow humans, etc.

and let me tell you one more thing. all of us Pagans also have soe Gods who take on the form of animals. some Gods have dual personalities. some are male. some are female. some are both. some are none and tke the form of the Sun, etc. We happen to see God in everything. i even see God in my enemy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See Photos Of The Three Wives Of Oba Of Benin And Their Full Names / African Culture Compared To European / Right Or Wrong?grouping Human Being According To Skin Colour.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.