Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Eid Celebrations In Nigeria - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Eid Celebrations In Nigeria (3989 Views)

Eid-El-Malud: Celebrants Block Road In Gombe State (Photos) / Happy Eid-ul-Adha My Muslim Brothers And Sisters! / Eid Ul Adha: Barka Da Sallah : Eid Mubarak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 12:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
I was doing my usuals online when I came about this site talking about eid celebrations from around the world. I checked it out and  not only was Nigeria out of the list, no African nation was mentioned. EH eh, that is not the racist me oo,  Its just the me that is passionate about what is mine. And how would they even have it when we have not taken the time to put it into writing, I always say if we don’t write our view of our own stories, who would??

SO came the inspiration to write this. A Yoruba proverb says ‘there is no particular way to the market’. There is no standard way to this celebration. And as Nigeria is highly multicultural, the manner of celebration differs among ethnic groups. From the Yorubas of the southwest, to the igbos in the south east to the majorly Muslim north, Eid is one special event!

Am a Yoruba girl( a typical one at that, lol) so I’d be writing on how we do our thing at my side. And you know what, I got MJ, my hausa friend to write the hausa way of doing it, Now am going to be needing friends from other parts of Nigeria. When they do write, we’ll get this post updated InshaAllah. Eventually, we’ll all learn of the other cultures in our dear country and people from other places might learn too.

Preparation

The preparation for eid starts from a week before it usually. The most important things at this time are the clothes to wear. Yorubas are well known for what is called Aso ebi, also known as and-co. The family shops for a common material to be worn by all its members. Some have a particular one for the boys and another for the girls. These are given to tailors/fashion designers(we have got many of them oo) and trust my Nigerian folks to want the latest trends in fashion for their eid celebrations! Shoes, bags, goggles(for children) and other accessories are gotten to match the clothing. Every child loves this part of it- they go hiding their clothes so no one sees them until the D-day. I can remember always going to peep at mine as a child, I still do this sometimes smiley

Then comes the food. It is Usually rice, amala and pounded yam. Amala is the real deal for adults and children would always go for rice.

By this time, eid is very close and the next thing is to keep the house clean. washing, fixings and all. If you have a generator, that’s when the petrol is bought too- no one wants a blackout on eid day!

Finally, there’s the need to cut those nails, plait that hair(for girls) and visit the barber’s shop(boys).

If its eidl adha, the ram must have been scaring the children and making the whole neighborhood know of its presence.

The D-day

wow! dressed up, everyone goes for the eid prayers. The Eid ground is always a spectacular site with a blend of colours from the beautiful outfits. Some eid grounds have large tall trees or beautiful gardening which further give them serene looks.

Of great importance is d ‘barka de sallah’ hat worn by children. These are sold at the eid grounds and parents rush to get for their children for every child sees them as  part of the celebration.

Ice cream is one of the main things sold at the grounds. This you don’t usually get until the eid day. yoghourts and all forms of snacks  are just part of the eid. Earlier, before getting for the prayers, it is common practice for the elderly to give eid gift(usually money) to the young. Also the husband gives his wife. Child to  the mother and so on. This is usually given in new notes- we wld keep some until long after eid cos they were just too new to be spent,  smiley. These monies provide for the ice creams and snacks of the day.

Every one goes back home where the mothers do the cooking. Home usually means the extended family home. Family members from far and near meet here, have fun, discuss their various lives. Cousins get to meet and so much re-unions happen.

It is common practice to take food to the neighbours whom are usually Christians. For eidl adha, meat from the killed ram is also given to them.

There is so much merry making, singing and dancing.

By evening, it is time to visit others and to be visited. Non muslims usually come to take part in the feasts at this time.

Day after eid

This is when the outdoor part of the celebration is done. many people go visiting relatives. Others go to parks, and eateries (mr.Biggs and co) have a boost.

Eid in Islam is for three days but the official holiday is Usually for two  and that doesn’t leave room for more celebrations.

EPILOGUE
Anytime we witness eid, let us thank Allah for the previous year, plan for the coming one, make corrections for our mistakes and make resolutions on them.
May we live long to witness more of this. Eid Sa’eeeeeeeeeeed!

Now, part two is on how Hausas do it, I tell you, you don’t wanna miss that,

You think there is Something missing in this write-up? leave a comment!

Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Sweetnecta: 12:16pm On Sep 01, 2011
The Only True God. Allahu Akbar.

This is truly, by the mention of His Name, knees go down and faces prostrated.

This is not just just a saying, it is an action that one sees, and going around in this world 24/7 every day, from now till the last man alive.

1 Like

Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2011
Sweetnecta:

The Only True God. Allahu Akbar.

This is truly, by the mention of His Name, knees go down and faces prostrated.

This is not just just a saying, it is an action that one sees, and going around in this world 24/7 every day, from now till the last man alive.

Allahu Akbar!
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 01, 2011
embarassed
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 8:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
wats embarrassing about that
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by zayhal(f): 8:39pm On Sep 01, 2011
I thoroughly enjoy this. Thanks deols. wink
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 02, 2011
:-x
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by mukina2: 2:18pm On Sep 02, 2011
nice write up smiley
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 02, 2011
cool cool cool cool cool cool :d :d wink wink smiley smiley
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by haboosa(m): 4:00pm On Sep 02, 2011
@ Poster , we didnt see you at 3rd Nairaland Ifatar, even mukina only commented on her Husby's comment on the thread, while Zayhal doesnt show face at all, i hereby employ you guys to come around by the time we call for the next one, may Almighty Allah make it easy for us all. High profile Nairalanders do attend make it a date too smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Pafuri(m): 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2011
Why are they bowing down before shoes? grin grin grin grin
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by maasoap(m): 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2011
@OP, Thanks for the efforts.
What about a sleepless night on the eve of Eid when as kids, what you would only be praying for, was the day to break. You also forgot to tell us how as kids, we wouldn't want the day to end. Even as an adult now, I'm still excited with our Eid Kabir's ram. And that's why they are always jealous of our festivals, it's just too colourful. Thanks.
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 8:04pm On Sep 02, 2011
zayhal:

I thoroughly enjoy this. Thanks deols. wink

u'r welcome  kiss

mukina2:

nice write up smiley

kiss kiss
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 8:06pm On Sep 02, 2011
toba:

cool cool cool cool cool cool :d :d wink wink smiley smiley

busy body grin grin
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 8:10pm On Sep 02, 2011
haboosa:

@ Poster , we didnt see you at 3rd Nairaland Ifatar, even mukina only commented on her Husby's comment on the thread, while Zayhal doesnt show face at all, i hereby employ you guys to come around by the time we call for the next one, may Almighty Allah make it easy for us all. High profile Nairalanders do attend make it a date too smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

when the time and situation permit InshaAllah.
maasoap:

@OP, Thanks for the efforts.
What about a sleepless night on the eve of Eid when as kids, what you would only be praying for, was the day to break. You also forgot to tell us how as kids, we wouldn't want the day to end. Even as an adult now, I'm still excited with our Eid Kabir's ram. And that's why they are always jealous of our festivals, it's just too colourful. Thanks.

thanks! like i mentioned, it can be updated to accommodate more info. I'll c to dat inshaAllah
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Araboy(m): 10:47pm On Sep 02, 2011
@ Toba I think Deols is falling for you and following you like twitter   grin  just be patient with her and she might be the one who knows ? If the truth has been  said I bet most of these girls here have dated Christian men before  so why the Pretence ?
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by debokaz(m): 12:19am On Sep 03, 2011
Deols,u are wonderful.U really captured all.Keep it up.
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 03, 2011
Good one.
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 11:02am On Sep 03, 2011
Araboy:

@ Toba I think Deols is falling for you and following you like twitter   grin  just be patient with her and she might be the one who knows ? If the truth has been  said I bet most of these girls here have dated Christian men before  so why the Pretence ?

i avnt bn following him ooo. Rather he's bn on my neck, nd hell no! never will I date a xtian nd I tell u i never did.

I hope his head didnt 'swell' by ds comment sha
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 11:02am On Sep 03, 2011
debokaz:

Deols,u are wonderful.U really captured all.Keep it up.

thnks!
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2011
wink
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by deols(f): 10:40am On Aug 17, 2012
smiley
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by greall1: 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2012
ALLAH IS GREATEST
Re: Eid Celebrations In Nigeria by jibsyola(f): 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2012
MAY ALLAH ACCEPT OUR FASTING.BARKA DE SALLAH IN ADVANCE.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need An Advice From My Muslim Brothers And Sister. / The Truth About Sharia Law / A Plea From A Muslim Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.