Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management (152451 Views)

Poll: What modes of training would you prefer for CIPS or CILT AND APICS or ISM professional programs?

Self study: 20% (2 votes)
Class room based lecture: 20% (2 votes)
Supported learning ( CD,Study Note/Guide): 50% (5 votes)
Lecture/assisted revisions (close to exams): 10% (1 vote)
Online/webinars lectures: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

j / Supply Chain Management OR Project Management / Logistics And Supply Chain Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uchecho: 10:28am On Oct 24, 2013
Dear fellow SCM Professionals,

Please I am an MSC student of SCM and have the following assignment. However, I have difficulty meeting the deadline due to my work schedule. Therefore if you have materials or know a way to make things easy for me please let me know.

"[b]Manufacturing/service process design is based on a considerable number of different variables and represents, in essence, a number of trade-offs. Depending on the nature of the business, the nature of the product, and the nature of the market place, the chosen process design will obviously be different.

A. By taking as an example an organization or a product from an industry that you are familiar with, critically discuss the main factors that influence the choice of a manufacturing/service process design. (70% of the mark)

B. How do you see the main principles of project management aiding the operations manager/manageress in introducing change to the process/system? (30% of the mark)

ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
Your answer should not exceed 2,500 words, word-processed (letter size 12, Times New Roman, 1.5 space); scripts that are excessively long (i.e. exceeding the limit by more than 10%) will not be read beyond the point of the word limit. The word limit applies to the main report only, and excludes exhibits, cover page, list of references, etc. The paper should include a cover page (which should give your student number, assignment name, date and number of words, but not your name), table of contents, numbered pages and a list of references. The body text should be fully referenced (Harvard Referencing System), with clear introduction, discussion and conclusion sections. Please note that assignment marks will also be based on aspects such as use of examples, figures, tables, illustrations and statistics that indicate wider/independent reading.

Thanks
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by t4thayour: 12:11am On Dec 01, 2013
Hi Guys,
For those of us wishing to sit for the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) 2014 exams, It may interest you to know that CIPS recently revised its curricular, and the first batch of Africa exams under the new curricular was written July and November 2013. With this, the old curricular exams would no longer be available; and the old textbook has automatically become obsolete. Just to let you know that i have the new (recently revised) qualification study pack (CIPS-profex recommended) for sale. Specifically, study packs for the Level 4 professional diploma in procurement and Supply. The textbooks also have underscore of important points for exams preparation.
The textbooks for sale are for the following modules:
-Contexts of procurement and supply
-Business needs in procurement and supply
-Sourcing in procurement and supply
-Negotiating and Contracting in procurement and supply
-Managing contracts and relationships in procurement and supply

Kindly let me know if you have any question(s).

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by olaoreawofele: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2013
t4thayour: Hi Guys,
For those of us wishing to sit for the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) 2014 exams, It may interest you to know that CIPS recently revised its curricular, and the first batch of Africa exams under the new curricular was written July and November 2013. With this, the old curricular exams would no longer be available; and the old textbook has automatically become obsolete. Just to let you know that i have the new (recently revised) qualification study pack (CIPS-profex recommended) for sale. Specifically, study packs for the Level 4 professional diploma in procurement and Supply. The textbooks also have underscore of important points for exams preparation.
The textbooks for sale are for the following modules:
-Contexts of procurement and supply
-Business needs in procurement and supply
-Sourcing in procurement and supply
-Negotiating and Contracting in procurement and supply
-Managing contracts and relationships in procurement and supply

Kindly let me know if you have any question(s).

Cheers

Just wondering if you have idea. What form of study would you recommend for Professional Diploma? E-learning, distance learning, self study? What is students experiences with these study methods? What is your assesment of the Nigeria study centre, Harley reed?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by rimzo(m): 10:15am On Dec 02, 2013
Hello all, am happy to see a tread like this on here. Pls I will need your indepth advice on this; I have B.Sc. in Geology without any work experience yet but I want to change a career path to scm and logistics.

I will appreciate your advice on how to go about it.

Thank you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by t4thayour: 8:09am On Dec 03, 2013
@Olaore:I used the self study route, which was quite okay for me, but for the challenges of having to cope with work and studies. Although i had to start my reading quite early (about 3-4 months before exams). Harley reed is quite expensive as at the last time i checked, so it was not an option for me. You might contact them to get their fee. But truth is, you can't substitute whatever training at Harley reeds with personal studies. Depending on your ability and schedule, you might want to decide whether to strictly face self study (early enough), or complement it with any of the rest options you mentioned.

@Rimzo: I would advice sincere evaluation of what career path you really )want to take. I understand you might be at the crossroad at the moment (We have, at some points, been there), but take a deep thoughts. Survey SCM generally. Google the topic. Read some SCM stuffs online to be sure this is what you really want to do. This thread is full of series of sites to gather info on SCM. I had been in the field before stumbling on this thread, and some of the links really helped me in making my final decision, as well as exams preparation. (www.supplychainmanagement.in, www.nextlevelpurchasing.com, intro to operations mgt course on coursera.org, supplymanagement.com etc).
Research the field and be sure that is what you really want to do.
But for me, SCM is a field to be. Organizational competition in this age is that of supply chain, and i think it's a way to consider.

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by olaoreawofele: 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
@t4thayour,

Thank you for the response. What is your opinion on staggering the CIPS courses exams? Some advise that a student should not take more than 3 papers at one sitting? This implies you sit twice for same level?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by rimzo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
t4thayour: @Olaore:I used the self study route, which was quite okay for me, but for the challenges of having to cope with work and studies. Although i had to start my reading quite early (about 3-4 months before exams). Harley reed is quite expensive as at the last time i checked, so it was not an option for me. You might contact them to get their fee. But truth is, you can't substitute whatever training at Harley reeds with personal studies. Depending on your ability and schedule, you might want to decide whether to strictly face self study (early enough), or complement it with any of the rest options you mentioned.

@Rimzo: I would advice sincere evaluation of what career path you really )want to take. I understand you might be at the crossroad at the moment (We have, at some points, been there), but take a deep thoughts. Survey SCM generally. Google the topic. Read some SCM stuffs online to be sure this is what you really want to do. This thread is full of series of sites to gather info on SCM. I had been in the field before stumbling on this thread, and the links i was really helped me in making my final decision, as well as exams preparation. (www.supplychainmanagement.in, www.nextlevelpurchasing.com, intro to operations mgt course on coursera.org, supplymanagement.com etc).
Research the field and be sure that is what you really want to do.
But for me, SCM is a field to be. Organizational competition in this age is that of supply chain, and i think it's a way to consider.

Thanks for the info. I will work on this and get back to you for my final decision on it. Email conversation will be ok. Kindly pm me your email address.

Regards.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by t4thayour: 9:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
@Olaore..: Honestly, that is exactly what i advice. The materials are so voluminous that doing the 5 modules together might not be easy (That is not to say there are no people that sat the 5 module at once and still performed well). I sat my exams twice. You can decide doing Procurement context and Business needs together (they have similar contents). Depending on the flexibility of the exam time table, you can also consider adding Sourcing to the previously mentioned 2, to make it 3, as these modules have similar content (Please check the exam timetable before doing this, as some guys had issues with this during the July '13 exams). You may do the last 2 (Contract & managing relationship) together (They also have similar contents).

Cheers
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by rotimifish: 3:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
Hello everyone, its really a great privilege to be part of nairaland finally.
great job will's
I apologies for starting with a need.
I know you all are able to and will come to my rescue.
I am into logistics for 4yrs now and i desire a growth in SCM which is the hub of the company where i work.
I desire an ONLINE MSc in Supply Chain Management (Distant learning) in a university from any part of the world.
I virtually work everyday unless for my leave days and the visibility of doing it is only online.
my desire is to run the program online for 1 to 2yrs tops and the whole educational expenses apart from being online
for lecture should be under 2million. Above all the school should fall into one of the first 3000 best universities in the world by
www.webometeric.com
please any body with such school info should please share.
thanks

God bless u all
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hello learned and learning fellows. I'm a final year undergrad student of logistics management. I'm looking for an internship position in Nigeria for a period not less than six months. Every help rendered will be fully appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by lammy2rule(m): 1:31pm On Aug 07, 2014
Audencia MSc Supply Chain and Purchasing Management or Robert Gordon MSc Purchasing and Supply Chain Management

Which is better for career switch, job prospects post MSc, recognition of degree by Multinationals.

I will appreciate an overview opinion. As I want to decide on my application
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by garbigarba: 11:42am On Aug 08, 2014
lammy2rule: Audencia MSc Supply Chain and Purchasing Management or Robert Gordon MSc Purchasing and Supply Chain Management

Which is better for career switch, job prospects post MSc, recognition of degree by Multinationals.

I will appreciate an overview opinion. As I want to decide on my application
Hello @lammy2rule I'm also applying to audencia nantes for the MSCPM for the February 2015 intake, and I am totally sold on the school. Bearing in mind that it's a double degree, you get two degrees … one from audencia and the other from MIP in Italy, which happens to be an even more prestigious school than audencia plus the fact that you get to spend time in 2 countries (France and Italy) it doesn't get any better than that. I really do think you should consider audencia over Robert Gordon, plus it would be nice having a fellow Nigerian around… that's seriously hoping I do get the admission tho.
Also I believe audencia/MIP is cheaper than Robert Gordon and better ranked.… I just did check out the Robert Gordon website and apparently there's no provision for internship, all that's expected of you is a dissertation, meanwhile the audencia/mip requires a compulsory 4 month internship which I believe makes things more interesting while building your international work experience at the same time, and we all know "on the job" experience is second to none.
Goodluck with your choice.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by lammy2rule(m): 7:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
garbigarba:
Hello @lammy2rule I'm also applying to audencia nantes for the MSCPM for the February 2015 intake, and I am totally sold on the school. Bearing in mind that it's a double degree, you get two degrees … one from audencia and the other from MIP in Italy, which happens to be an even more prestigious school than audencia plus the fact that you get to spend time in 2 countries (France and Italy) it doesn't get any better than that. I really do think you should consider audencia over Robert Gordon, plus it would be nice having a fellow Nigerian around… that's seriously hoping I do get the admission tho.
Also I believe audencia/MIP is cheaper than Robert Gordon and better ranked.… I just did check out the Robert Gordon website and apparently there's no provision for internship, all that's expected of you is a dissertation, meanwhile the audencia/mip requires a compulsory 4 month internship which I believe makes things more interesting while building your international work experience at the same time, and we all know "on the job" experience is second to none.
Goodluck with your choice.

Finally I got a reply.
I am also considering it seriously too. Are you in Lagos? Perhaps we can meet.
My concern is Job after MSc.. I have scouted Linkedin most Robert Gordon Naija guys are in Great companies
While language is a limiting factor in France and Italy
Should submit my application soon
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by garbigarba: 4:23am On Aug 10, 2014
lammy2rule:

Finally I got a reply.
I am also considering it seriously too. Are you in Lagos? Perhaps we can meet.
My concern is Job after MSc.. I have scouted Linkedin most Robert Gordon Naija guys are in Great companies
While language is a limiting factor in France and Italy
Should submit my application soon
Hello again … yes in Lagos at the moment, but might be leaving like next week, yet to submit my application … the only thing delaying me happens to be my transcript.
I am personally a little biased about the uk when it comes to schooling, with that their whole chasing you straight home once you're done. About the language thing, any international MNC that's worth it's salt would most probably conduct business in English and it wouldn't hurt picking up a new language anyway, it all makes for better employability.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by lammy2rule(m): 11:44am On Aug 10, 2014
garbigarba:
Hello again … yes in Lagos at the moment, but might be leaving like next week, yet to submit my application … the only thing delaying me happens to be my transcript.
I am personally a little biased about the uk when it comes to schooling, with that their whole chasing you straight home once you're done. About the language thing, any international MNC that's worth it's salt would most probably conduct business in English and it wouldn't hurt picking up a new language anyway, it all makes for better employability.

Mail me at lammy2rule@yahoo.com. ..

Hopefully we can chat better..Its my SOP that's delaying me.
I think they accept unofficial transcript pending admission
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by kayswift(m): 2:41am On Aug 25, 2014
Hi everyone in the house. I relatively find this discussion interesting as I will be going to study Post graduate in Supply chain Management in Humber college, canada. I have done some courses in international business like global logistics and supply chain which fascinated me into pursuing a career in SCM.

What are the job prospects for a fresh graduate in Nigeria with an experience in SAP or ERP ?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nnadiwu: 9:17am On Sep 10, 2014
@wills and @abinibi
kudos to you both and others, i have been following your posts on this forum and i have been really educated and informed by your thoughts and advice , i appreciate. I stumbled on this forum because i was really inerested in getting into the supply chain management and logistics career path. Like u ( wills and abinibi) i studied mechanical engineering about going for nysc and would love to take the CIPS and SAP too and also do an msc in industrial engineeering, i would love to get your advice @wills and abinibi i look at the both of you as my role models and would love to be a mentee, since you have been into this career for a while. An email convesation or phone call conversation would be highly appreciated by me, soonest{smiles} because am in an excited state of moving into this career.Thanks in anticipation of a favorable response.
Also anyone who would love to mentor me as regards to my career path, i would appreciate too.Thanks

Email: one2iwu@gmail.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nnadiwu: 9:30am On Sep 10, 2014
@t4thayour
Good morning, as regards to the study pack materials for CIPS and exam prep, went to harly reeds and its quite expensive, sorry very expensive .would love to get advice on this course and also request for the pack. Kudos to the good job you doing. Heres my email, thanks in anticipation of a favorable response .

email: one2iwu@gmail.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by deesmom(f): 6:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
Good day all, glad to see that this thread is still alive. I am also interested in pursuing an MSC in SCM.
The cheapest course I have seen so far would cost nothing less than 6 million. anyone would useful advice on cheaper/qualitative schools should please let me know. Thanks y'all
I saw something about Italy/ France, pls what is the language of instruction?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by garbigarba: 3:39am On Sep 21, 2014
deesmom: Good day all, glad to see that this thread is still alive. I am also interested in pursuing an MSC in SCM.
The cheapest course I have seen so far would cost nothing less than 6 million. anyone would useful advice on cheaper/qualitative schools should please let me know. Thanks y'all
I saw something about Italy/ France, pls what is the language of instruction?
Hello,
Kindly check out www.mastersportal.eu for European schools … lol, 6 million would get you like 2 masters degree.
The Italian / French language of instruction is in English.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by deesmom(f): 9:16am On Sep 29, 2014
thank you very much garbigarba, that link was very helpful . still searching though. Have a fruiful week
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uddy101(f): 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
I am intrested in cips. pls can someone give me an idea of cost for registration and exams and how to go about the exams. I am currently running a masters in transport planning & mgt. i want to start a career in scm . ur contributions is most welcomed.tx
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uddy101(f): 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2014
pls can someone help me with study materials. for cips level 4 exam
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Nobody: 1:18am On Jan 03, 2015
Hi everyone, those who av taken cips exam shld pls tell us where we can get study packs and oda materials dat would be needed for one to pass d exam. I'll also need a mentor in dis career path, my email add is bukievie22@gmail.com. I'm a Materials Engineering graduate and interested in building a career in SCM. Thanks for prompt response.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
My recent post on linkedin : https://www./challenges-opportunities-scm-procurement-careers-abiodun-oke-scmp-pmp

I have been in the purchasing profession for almost 10 years now and one of my strong reason is to break the ceiling of analytical know-how and influence beyond the engineering or technical sphere.

As noble as this vision may be it has not been easy on my part given the status of procurement function within the industry at the time and having to chose procurement over engineering in which I had obtained a degree, and it's heartbreaking sometimes that veteran procurement professionals are not playing their role model responsibilities in this profession, I understand a lot of veterans play their part in supporting and guiding new entrants as part of their job function but veteran procurement professionals need to break these boundaries and reach out to any new entrant in the profession in order for this profession to reach it's deserved status amongst the choice profession within the industry.

Procurement and Supply Chain Management as an umbrella function has strong incentives for any new graduate of diverse background, the opportunity to develop strong communication skills, project management and client facing skills,the exposure to diverse industries, Manufacturing ,Public Sector, Oil and Gas, Engineering and Construction, Minning, Healthcare, Lifescience,Technology etc. The 2014 Annual salary survey conducted by CSCP,Canadian Supply Chain Professional reported average wage of $85,178 for SCM professionals.

Despite the attractiveness,the strength and incentives of supply chain and procurement career,we are still faced with the issues of recognition at the least, given we gained relevance on the back of the economy meltdown of 2008, professionals at the leadership level still struggle to gain access to the C-level hierarchy in many organisations. I know many articles have exhausted these challenges hence I will focus on the “grassroot” challenges. As a professional in the industry I have had to explain what I do to accountants,project and technical managers at network functions and if you’ve had this experience you have probably been faced with such condescending statement like “ yeah, you buy stationeries,furnitures etc”, on many occasions I had to hold my head high and explain what procurement function does in an organisation and complement this with the fact that I do capital purchases and services like remotely operated vehicles (ROV), marine vessels and offshore maintenance vessels that runs into hundred of thousands of dollars daily rent. It’s not to say that anything is wrong with the purchase of indirects and stationeries but procurement and supply chain function being misunderstood at this “grassroot level” is a bellwether for the relevance and recognition of the function at industry level and I have no doubt this “ignorance” gets escalated to formal meetings with clients on daily interactions at work. One of my clients at a meeting where we were discussing options for sourcing a capital equipment has mentioned to me in a condescending manner , “Abbey you know this is not like we are buying furniture”.

I consider all procurement and supply chain management practitioners,veterans,suppliers as key stakeholders in the industry and we all have that responsibility to elevate the supply chain management function hence my idea of SupplyProjects as a platform that will give all the mentioned stakeholders the opportunity to share and discuss with the industry what you do, you purchase what equipment ,buy product or services or you are involved in projects or you have a request for proposals,quotes etc. You will be able to share your experience with others and also connect with colleagues or potential SCM entrants that can benefit from mentorship and your guidance as a practitioner,my call is to all practitioners irrespective of your years of experience,your involvement will surely make a difference.

At this critical time for supply chain relevance we need not keep quite about the value that we contribute to organisation’s competitive advantage either through sourcing strategy,policies,technology implementation, continuous improvement or other projects you are involved with as the SCM specialist.

Do not hesitate to share your experience if my SCM story resonates with you or not,you may also share your experience if you have a different opinion,I have started supplyprojects.com and also have linkedin and facebook groups created for this purpose, at the least you can share or like my post. Do not be the weak link in the most important supply chain - the global supply chain of procurement and project management expertise.

Abiodun Oke SCMP,PMP

Founder, Cerial Projects Services

3 Likes

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by mayeewah: 1:22pm On Jan 16, 2015
Sup guys... U Al have done and said well. Bravo to u all. A masters in logistics or supply chain management which is better with reasons. Thanx
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nosab(m): 8:12am On Jan 29, 2015
@garbigarba and @lammy2rule. Please lets chat. just got offer of admission to audencia/mip (Msc supply chain and procurement mgmt.). nosab10@yahoo.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by dcal001: 12:07pm On Feb 03, 2015
Hello guys,
Pls is anyone on this forum taking the Apics CSCP exams this year? or if you took it recently, i need to talk to you. PLEASE holla.
Merci
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nomorelimits: 4:52am On Feb 18, 2015
Gud day wills and all other educators on this thread. May God bless you. I am an holder of BSc. Nutrition but very passionate about SCM. I have made some findings to discover that SCM is only offered abroad but frankly, i cant just afford the tuition of any of the foreign schools. Will a masters program in transport management in Nigeria alongside with CIPS, CILT certifications be sufficient to put me on the SCM career path? Please help a brother. Thanks
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nomorelimits: 11:16am On Feb 18, 2015
Hi Wills! Please add me up to your private forum. I need your mentorship for my quest in d achievement of SCM professionalism. Tanx
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nomorelimits: 11:20am On Feb 18, 2015
My email address is nomorelimits33@yahoo.com. tanx

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply)

Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Nigerian Police Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.