Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management (152449 Views)

Poll: What modes of training would you prefer for CIPS or CILT AND APICS or ISM professional programs?

Self study: 20% (2 votes)
Class room based lecture: 20% (2 votes)
Supported learning ( CD,Study Note/Guide): 50% (5 votes)
Lecture/assisted revisions (close to exams): 10% (1 vote)
Online/webinars lectures: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

j / Supply Chain Management OR Project Management / Logistics And Supply Chain Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by AjanleKoko: 9:11am On Jan 20, 2011
^^,
Ah, okay.
Someone close to me wrote the CBT, but she had to travel out to do it, in March last year. She didn't do any lectures locally, but she still passed, though. She bought the study material.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Pharoh: 3:23pm On Jan 22, 2011
Nice thread . . . hope to learn and contribute more to this thread.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 4:23pm On Jan 22, 2011
AjanleKoko:

^^,
Ah, okay.
Someone close to me wrote the CBT, but she had to travel out to do it, in March last year. She didn't do any lectures locally, but she still passed, though. She bought the study material.

of course its possible to pass it doing self study, what i mean is that for us that did exam we felt that doing paper/pencil based test will be beneficial to us ala the jamb scenerio, its possible for you to erase any answer you feel its wrong and put the write one ,if there is enough time for preparation i think the CBT is the best.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Bhurharhi: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2011
hi all, as i read all dis post am highly impressed because i blive tere is a future for dis discipline, meany i am a university graduate of transport planning and management, a certified shipper with the certified institute of shipping and a student membership of CILT, bt den pls i wish to build my life all around dis field, if tere anytin in stock jst gt me posted
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by jeffman(m): 8:42am On Feb 05, 2011
i seem to prefer the curriculum of CIPS to the APICS CSCP though the CIPS seems to be harder and take more time to complete.

for a graduate in computer science, at what level do i begin the CIPS?

i am seeing the advantages of having procurement and contracting knowledge for IT related procurements and the PMP (which i did ) does not cover procurement in details.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by wills(m): 11:04am On Feb 05, 2011
Dear all its feels raelly good to see this tread alive and waxing strong six year down the road. I the last few months I have been able to post on this forum for reason unknow technical or over zealous moderators I really can't tell. However its good to know the purpose for which this tread was set up is still been achieved. Now plans are in gear already to take it to the next level, I will be working with Mcips-Abinibi and soon we wil be rolling out more exciting and benefical stuff to professional in the fields of logistics , scm and other allied functions. Please we will require intrested volunteers and wil be make request for this when the time comes. Til then take charge and keep building professional value to your self. NB (The CIPS 2011 confrence in Nigeria holds on 9Feb at Rockview Hotel it will be good if you can attend
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by jeffman(m): 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2011
jeffman:

i seem to prefer the curriculum of CIPS to the APICS CSCP though the CIPS seems to be harder and take more time to complete.

i am seeing the advantages of having procurement and contracting knowledge for IT related procurements and the PMP (which i did ) does not cover procurement in details.

i am yet to get a reply to the bolded. please someone.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2011
jeffman:

You can start with level 4 of the CIPS curriculum, since you are a graduate.you can go to british council and get more information, including membership and exam registration or better still go to their website www.cips.com and u get all the infor there.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Biliamin(m): 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2011
@Jeffman,
As a graduate, you can start CIPS from level 4. At this level, you have 5 modules to take b4 u can be awarded diploma certificate but you can take it at your own pace. I think it's a bit late to register now because the registration is formally closing by 19th of March but you can make arrangement for July diet. You can visit British Council or e mail me for any clarification: midborn2002@yahoo.co.uk.

Cheers!!!
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Biliamin(m): 5:20pm On Mar 07, 2011
Mcips-Abinibi --- I dey feel you. I want to be like you very soon. Insha Allah,
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by obienotes(m): 2:07am On Mar 08, 2011
i am a graduate of biochemistry,i work as a supervisor for incoming goods,in a manufacturing company,how do i get my foot in the door,i am a fresh graduate,but i have been with the coy since my 300level
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 7:26pm On Mar 10, 2011
I want to to appreciate everyone for their contribution in  keeping this blog on the move,like they say success is a journey and not a destination,I appreciate the fact that everyone that has contributed in one way or the other has made some level of sacrifice because you may have decided to be on another thread that is more interesting or perhaps use your time for personal concerns,I tell you,each time I want to make a contribution I experience some measure of inertia before I post ,therefore for us to have kept this thread going for the last 5 years shows a measure of consistency on the part of the founder and every blogger on this thread.

I also want to appreciate everybody for keeping the discussion in our threads positive,I have seen very popular front page threads that discuss low things on Nairaland and I think it takes only very positive minds to make contributions without those cheap comments I see on  other threads.I believe everyone that comes here have portrayed that sense of professionalism which is expected of every acclaimed professional in SCM and because we have not demonstrated such attitude here we have definitely not attracted those characters here,congratulations to every member of SCM/Logistics thread.

One of the very reasons that has kept me on this thread has to do with a vision I have of SCM/Logistics role in the economics policy of this nation and its role in the free market economy as seen practised in other climes of this world,if you appreciate the work of CIPS in UN and the policy formulation of UK,I believe you would relate with my vision.It is not that we do not have such bodies in Nigeria but we that are so called members of this bodies know that any organization in the country is a reflection or a microcosm of the country at large,hence these bodies are also afflicted by the same vices that has arrested the development of the Nigeria.

I believe I have an assignment in this arena as a change agent and we also have the same assignment on us that first as someone who hopes to make a change in his environment must himself be changed in line with the saying that goes that you cannot give what you do not possess.I have tried to apprise myself of this area of practise and one thing I remain convinced about is the fact that change is only possible in the situation described above if our awareness becomes increased at the grass-root level to a large extent where everyone know SCM as an area of practice just as accountancy has become an household profession,mind you it is not that we are in competition with this mainstream profession but that Nigerians awareness should be that high that we can raise as many change agents as possible to make the desire change that we want possible,if you like call this a revolution, of course it is and we are doing it through the media.We have started it here on Nairaland and we shall not stop now.

I have seen my contributions here on Nairaland as a seed towards this cause stated above and I discussed with Will that we need to take our cause to the next level and this Will has hinted us all on what we intend to achieve,as I give more communication on this cause,we are requesting your contributions as volunteers towards achieving the vision of this blog and we ask that you prepare your mind on what area you are led to contribute towards this vision.

Finally,I have now achieved my SCMP designation to practice procurement in Canada.All I can say for now is that YES WE CAN.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by oaklandm: 7:40pm On Mar 11, 2011
i am just joining this very enlightening tread,i am a biochemist with a food company,i work as a supervisor for incomming goods,how can i get into a certificate program?how much does it cost?and what is the duration?
i have heard of cips, is this the most valued qualification?i want only the best as regards supply chain and logistics
thanks!!
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 9:03pm On Mar 11, 2011
@obie_notes & oakland

obie_notes:

i am a graduate of biochemistry,i work as a supervisor for incoming goods,in a manufacturing company,how do i get my foot in the door,i am a fresh graduate,but i have been with the coy since my 300level

i am just joining this very enlightening tread,i am a biochemist with a food company,i work as a supervisor for incomming goods,how can i get into a certificate program?how much does it cost?and what is the duration?
i have heard of cips, is this the most valued qualification?i want only the best as regards supply chain and logistics
thanks!!

Dont know if its the same person but the question are same and so are the experience profiles.

It will be good for you to go through this thread because such questions have been asked and I guess we would have more than a response on this type of questions.

Most time our situations are different from each other and so are our depth of experience,I will advice you go through this threads but whatever decision you make concerning what certification you settle for should be based on your priorities namely finance,career goals,career challenges and also your industry.

At the time I was making my decision,I knew CIPS was defacto for my industry and even though I could not afford the training at the time I quickly embraced the conversion program of CIPSN which I leveraged to become a professional within  months.

Moreso this programs have their areas of emphasis,I know some programs emphasize operations management,some transportation and some supply chain management ,and some SCM systems and some core purchasing skills.As a matter of fact even though we can give you insight as to what to expect sometimes you just have to do your homework.So I will advise you start with past posts on this thread and other resources on the net.

As regards the cost of training,there is really no amount that is too high for your personal development from my experience but I understand we have different levels of financial commitment  based on goals and income hence the concerns on cost of training,visit the website of this programs to know the cost implications.

Another area of concerns is method of training delivery,some are online,some face-to-face delivery while some are self-study.The methods of delivery will have cost implications,time/commitment level requirement implications and here if you know your nature of job and the time you have to commit to training,you would have preference for any program that matches the nature of your job.

In summary,only you can choose the training program you prefer especially if you will sponsor the training yourself like the saying goes that it is he who wear the shoe that knows where it pinches.

Hope this helps?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Pittbaby(f): 9:31pm On Mar 13, 2011
Just completed my Six Sigma Green belt Certification and i'm currently working on my CPSM ( CIPS_UK). Someone mentioned that to be of any good in Nigeria I need a SAP cert, My company uses both MFG Pro and Oracle so it will be of no value in my current role. I seriously doubt the value of a cert with no actual hands on experience . Any suggestions?

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by obienotes(m): 11:13pm On Apr 01, 2011
abinbi,thank you for the insight i appreciate,i cant talk for orkland grin

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by cenyinda(m): 11:58am On Apr 03, 2011
Hello All:

Gosh, this is great. Just came across this website - Nairaland Forum - Logistics or Supply Chain Management (LSCM). Indeed, I came across it when I was conducting literature review on two research projects I have been grappling with: "Managing Supply Chain Disruption Risks in Nigerian Manufacturing Sector" (almost completed) and "Mitigating Election Operations and Supply Chain Risks and Vulnerabilities: The Context of Nigeria." I have been examining this issue for the past two years. The regrettable postponement of the slated election last week Saturday has re-energized my resolve to find LSCM solutions. Arguably, this postponement clearly demonstrates the utter lack of LSCM knowledge among the INEC C-level executives. This lack of LSCM knowledge has resulted in election operations and supply chain disruptions - e.g., electoral material supplier(s) failures (resulted in inability to deliver electoral materials real-time or just-in-time to polling centers), poor logistics/operations and supply chain planning, poor supply chain coordination, and poor supply chain visibility. Indeed, INEC disregarded the two of the three most important flows of supply chain. That is, the efficient and effective flows of materials and information critically required to achieve supply chain management performance.

There is no iota of doubt. There is an urgent for LSCM education in Nigeria. For years, I have endeavored to convince some VCs in Nigerian universities to establish LSCM programs but to no avail. However, I am exceedingly glad to see in this LSCM Forum that Ibinibi and the rest of you're working very hard to elevate the imperative of LSCM education in Nigeria. The way to go! As you're already aware, LSCM is the quintessential part of driving business performance, shareholder value/wealth, and strategic competitive advantage. For an organization desiring to thrive and prosper in today's global marketplace, LSCM is the great differentiator. Nowadays, competition is supply chain vs. supply chain. Essentially, no supply chain management, no competition.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to sharing my knowledge in LSCM discipline with you (when time allows).

Cheers,

Chris
Department of Management and Marketing
School of Business
Alabama A & M University
Normal, AL 35762
chris.enyinda@aamu.edu

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by cenyinda(m): 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2011
Gosh, this is great. Just came across this website - Nairaland Forum - Logistics or Supply Chain Management (LSCM). Indeed, I came across it when I was conducting literature review on two research projects I have been grappling with: "Managing Supply Chain Disruption Risks in Nigerian Manufacturing Sector" (almost completed) and "Mitigating Election Operations and Supply Chain Risks and Vulnerabilities: The Context of Nigeria." I have been examining the election operations and supply chain management issue for the past two years. The regrettable postponement of the slated election last week Saturday has re-energized my resolve to complete the research. Arguably, this postponement clearly demonstrates utter lack of LSCM knowledge C-level executives in INEC. This lack of LSCM knowledge can be associated with the election operations and supply chain disruptions - e.g., electoral material supplier(s) failures (resulted in inability to deliver electoral materials real-time or just-in-time to polling centers), poor logistics/operations and supply chain planning, poor supply chain coordination, and poor supply chain visibility. Indeed, INEC disregarded the two of the three most important flows of supply chain. That is, the efficient and effective flows of materials and information critically required to achieve supply chain management performance.
There is no iota of doubt. There is an urgent need for LSCM education in Nigeria. For years, I have endeavored to convince some VCs in Nigerian universities to establish LSCM programs but to no avail. However, I am exceedingly glad to see in this LSCM Forum that Ibinibi and the rest of you are working very hard to elevate the imperative of LSCM education in Nigeria. The way to go! As you're already aware, LSCM is the quintessential part of driving business performance, shareholder value/wealth, and strategic competitive advantage. For an organization (including government) desiring to thrive and prosper in today's global marketplace, LSCM is the great differentiator. Nowadays, it is supply chain vs. supply chain competition. Essentially, No LSCM! No competition!
Keep up the good work. I look forward to sharing my knowledge in LSCM discipline with you (when time allows).
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by DisGuy: 9:47pm On Apr 03, 2011
Pittbaby:

Just completed my Six Sigma Green belt Certification and i'm currently working on my CPSM ( CIPS_UK). Someone mentioned that to be of any good in Nigeria I need a SAP cert, My company uses both MFG Pro and Oracle so it will be of no value in my current role. I seriously doubt the value of a cert with no actual hands on experience . Any suggestions?

Very few companies in Nigeria implement SAP, there are many companies specifically manufacturing that will need it going forward but saying someone cant work SCM comfortably with a SAP cert is pukkie pies

If you check the SAP thread you will notice there are very few SAP certified individual on there and most are outside the country even those that took the initiative are struggling for a place to use it. just loads of companies offering workshop for hundreds of thousands selling it as the next big thing

I reckon the breweries will be amongst the majors to implement SAP as more investment is coming from Europe
The oil and gas will already be using it and maybe some banks.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Concept(m): 7:47pm On Apr 08, 2011
Hi fellow Nairalander,

I found myself registering for CILT UK in order to upgrade my intellectual and living status however I seemed to be at a cross road regarding the questions that might be asked in the exams; the ability tests made available through one of their agent (DLCT) online seem wide and not particular when talking about answers - no direct answers.

In respect to the last statement I want to ask. How does the exam looks like? If there could be assistance from my fellow NLs, it will be a relief - links, websites, books please. Thanks.

CILT = Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)

DLCT = Distance Learning College and Training
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by dotmana1: 9:21pm On May 13, 2011
Please NL,
I have been having problems booking for my July exams online.I got stocked when i was asked to chose my exams.Pleas help.URGENT
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nthnymarce(m): 1:29am On May 15, 2011
@bhuharhi

Let me know when you are online or you can right a persnal email. We might have an offer for each other.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by kotoral125: 10:07am On May 16, 2011
Hi,

Good ideal, pls try to keep posting. I like this topic very much and I will digged this one. Tks again.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 4:08am On May 19, 2011
[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1QBxVjZAw&feature=player_profilepage[/flash]

What is Supply Chain Management?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 9:57am On May 21, 2011
abinibi:

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1QBxVjZAw&feature=player_profilepage[/flash]

What is Supply Chain Management?

SUPPLY chain management is a global network that delivers products and services from raw materials to the end customer using engineered flow of the internet,physical distribution and cash.

so prof how was that? i hope its acceptable? smiley
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 6:49pm On May 21, 2011
@ Okeyz

SUPPLY chain management is a global network that delivers products and services from raw materials to the end customer using engineered flow of the internet,physical distribution and cash.

While I would not necessarily critique your definitions,the definition below seems apt and broad enough to cover other areas of practice that forms what is called SCM;

Supply chain management (SCM) is the management of a network of interconnected businesses involved in the ultimate provision of product and service packages required by end customers (Harland, 1996).

Let us test the two definition with a video of UPS Logistics campaign,UPS embodies a business whose core is SCM/logistics,tell me how the two definition fits.

[flash=350,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay1wC17xzKQ&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 3:42pm On May 23, 2011
Hey all,

The best day of my life came when i found out what Logistics is. I had no idea what i was going to study until i got to my first class. When i had the admission, i had no one to explain to me what Logistics was in Nigeria. Well, i think we just don't use this <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#"><a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">job</a></a> function in Nigeria.

After studying in Logistics for 3 years with various company visits, its been an eye opener how companies use this function to reduce cost in this global business environment. I always thought what the prospect was for me if I want to work in Nigeria. All of the best practices, I.T systems, and techniques, what company can offer me the opportunity to use these things. No doubt, i enjoyed my what i studied. It shies away from the normal things we study in Nigeria, Economics, Business, Account and all, its a breath of fresh air for me.

For all those who want to discuss more on this SCM/Logistics, i am available to learn and share whatever i can with you. I am a member of the Council of Supply Chain Manager (CSCMP) USA, Society of Logistics Engineer (SOLE) USA.

In fact, my studies is titled Logistics Engineering, this also involves some elements of Military Logistics, Integrated Logistics Support, Logistics Support Analysis, Systems Engineering, and then the normal Supply Chain Management things, Mat. Management, Logistics, Transport and so on.
It is a good path for anybody interested in it. I am sure the dream job will come to you if you have the right skills in it especially as we hope Nigeria's infrastructure improves to be able to carry out these activities. Logistics will fail if infrastructures like Electricity, Good roads are missing.

Let me hear from you who is willing to talk more on this topic.

I'm Out,

Y

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by kotoral125: 2:40pm On May 26, 2011
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: logistics manager job description

Best regards.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 5:46pm On May 26, 2011
@ abinibi,

I couldn't access the video but anyways ,

you will agree with me that for a thorough effective management of a supply chain , there have to be a network of entities and that can be made possible by information technology, collaboration between the stakeholders  and process owners to give         on- time delivery of products and services.

I just chipped in that first definition, i want the discussion to digress further before i chipp in what i supply chain really is in this present competitive world, meanwhile how are you enjoying your new status?,  smiley
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 9:02pm On May 26, 2011
I think that definition by Anibi even though is correct is a bit old in SC context. In recent times, it has been expanded as the concept of SC develops in industries.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 6:49am On May 27, 2011
@ Yemmy,

I appreciate your pointing out that the definition by Harland not abinibi is old,my choice of this definition is based on its broad application and simplicity,there is a handful number of researchers that have been able to define supply chain management,I am not re-inventing the wheel here and that is the reason for the reference. I can define supply chain management to the best of my ability based on my experience as a practicing professional but none of my definition would have been put through any test as the one I quoted.

@ Okeyz

Thanks for sharing,the definition I quoted I agree is not the most detailed of all SCM definitions but it answers the basic questions of what,why,who,when & how of SCM? The processes you mentioned are all SCM activities but just that you defined SCM as a network rather than the management of a network, moreso it would help if you provide a reference to your definitions as I have done,that confirms its an outcome of a research work.

Cheers.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by kotoral125: 9:41am On May 27, 2011
Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (25) (Reply)

Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Nigerian Police Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.