Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy (7192 Views)

Nwakali And Chukwueze With Arsene Wenger & Nwankwo (Photos) / Latest Arsenal Transfer News / Arsenal Transfer Gists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by mundus(m): 8:22pm On Sep 01, 2011
[size=13pt]Wenger reverses transfer policy[/size]

In a reversal of policy many observers have been demanding for a while, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger abandoned his infatuation with youth in favour of signing experienced players in a last-ditch bid to bolster his ailing squad on transfer deadline day.

Wenger has built his reputation on spotting potential and bringing young players through the ranks. But with the French coach under pressure at Arsenal like never before, he was forced to change his ways in a frenzied series of late trading on Wednesday.

In signing Spanish midfielder Mikel Arteta (29) from Everton, Germany defender Per Mertesacker (26) from Werder Bremen and Israel captain Yossi Benayoun (31) on loan from Chelsea, Wenger has plumped for established players to help lift the club out of a rut.

Arteta and Benayoun may not be in the class of playmakers Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, who departed this summer to Barcelona and Manchester City for a combined reported fee of around 50 million pounds ($81 million), but at least they know their way around the Premier League and won't need a bedding-in period.

The classy Arteta, who is reported to have cost Arsenal 10 million pounds ($16.2 million), could well be a shrewd purchase if he manages to avoid the injuries that affected him last season. "It is a big opportunity for me and my family and I think it is the right time for me to take it," he told Everton's in-house television channel.

"It is a big challenge, a different challenge, fresh for me and I want to see myself on the biggest stage, the Champions League." Reaching the Champions League group stage, after beating Udinese in the final qualifying round, is the sole chink of light in an otherwise sorry start to the season for Wenger's side.

In the league, Arsenal has picked up just one point in three games and was routed 8-2 by Manchester United on Sunday - the worst defeat in Wenger's 15-year reign. The Gunners have also been hit by injury and suspensions, leaving Wenger's squad looking threadbare and arguably in its weakest state since he took over.

This coming at a time when title rivals United, Manchester City and Liverpool have all spent big - and early - over the past two months, while Chelsea has added two creative international midfielders in Juan Mata and Raul Meireles. Wenger also signed Brazil left back Andre Santos on Wednesday, adding to earlier signings of South Korea striker Park Chu-young, winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, right back Carl Jenkinson and Ivory Coast forward Gervinho. "I arrive here with one aim - being a champion," Santos said.

Achieving that this season may be a step too far for Wenger, who now needs to rebuild confidence in his squad ahead of the resumption of Premier League action after the international break. In particular, Wenger needs to sort out a defense that is lacking leadership and experience.

The arrival of Mertesacker, a rugged centre back who has played in two World Cups and won 75 caps for Germany, will help in that regard, although Santos is renowned for his attacking prowess rather than his defensive abilities. The question remains why Wenger, who has failed to win a major trophy in six years, left his spending spree so late.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/international-soccer/26761-wenger-reverses-transfer-policy
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by nsodo: 6:27am On Sep 02, 2011
When something fails as wise man you change he has also seen that experience is crucial but when it is too late now seven years i mean complete full years without any thing too show the public. Thanks to Man U humiliation because it opened the long closed eyes of Wenger.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by mundus(m): 12:58pm On Sep 02, 2011
You don't expect Arsenal to start playing good football right away, Thier problem has just began. Let's see how wenger plays out this time with all these new players.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Kx: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2011
This clearly shows that Wengers only motive for sticking with the kids, youth policy was purely financials.
Now that the chips were down, he went for matured men.
AW got no game, he blows where the wind leads.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by okolytany: 6:07am On Sep 03, 2011
hmmmm, I dnt just knw wat kind of coach dat man (arsene wenger) is, Anyway, lets wait and see wat dis season holds 4 him.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by playahP(m): 6:56am On Sep 03, 2011
Wenger is neither a good coach nor tactician.
As a matter of fact, i feel its because of the profits he makes for arsenal and his reluctance to spend big is why he hasn't been sacked because he keeps Arsenal's stake holders happy.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Fimmy(m): 7:08am On Sep 03, 2011
Arsenal is a team that sticks with youth,the last day transfer was online because,all Arsenal Wenger primary target became too expensive,as a good Coach he went for another option.that is a good sign
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Rhino5dm: 7:53am On Sep 03, 2011
That wont stop chelsea from harvesting their goals.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by McStoic(m): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2011
@Rhino; ur type always updates me abt d perpetual delusion entitle to chelski fans. Anyway am patiently waiting 4 ur combined harvesting of goals, Mcheew!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by bashydemy(m): 8:32am On Sep 03, 2011
Thanks Manchester United if the goal margin is like 2-1 or 3-1 the idiot will believe he still have better team
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Sike(m): 9:00am On Sep 03, 2011
Time will tell!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by usbcable(m): 9:01am On Sep 03, 2011
AW has ondo+ekiti blood in him
alagidi grin grin
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Chidoxyl(m): 9:05am On Sep 03, 2011
@ bashy_demy

bashy_demy:

Thanks Manchester United if the goal margin is like 2-1 or 3-1 the  will believe he still have better team

Thanks 4 thanking us. As my Yoruba peeps wd say: "eni ba dupe ore oni, a ri omiran gba."

Once again, thank U 4 saying a big thanx. It will always be our pleasure 2 do more!

But 4 now, bring on d next CADAVA (Medical personnel, pls, did I get dis spelling right)?

Manchester United 4 Life!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by fredoooooo: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2011
iya o je e o lo gbon( you havent seen trouble you said you are wise ) cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by baslone: 9:44am On Sep 03, 2011
You cant outwit Arsene!

Spent sums rising up to £51.9 Mil to bring in players but makes figures in excess
of £78 Mil selling, all in disclosed fees and minus loanees both ways,

Aug 2008, he said- "The strategy of the club is to sell every year and to buy
less expensive players. We manage at Arsenal to maintain all our football ambitions
national and European—while having to free up—for 17 more years—an annual surplus
of £24million to pay for our stadium. The club’s strategy is to favour the policy of youngsters
ahead of stars and to count on the collective quality of our game.”
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by maclatunji: 9:54am On Sep 03, 2011
You have to understand that without Wenger's frugal policy. Arsenal would have gone bankrupt by now looking for some maverick billionaire to bail the club out.

Arsenal will get-out of this barren spell it is just a matter of time. I want to buy Arsenal shares is anybody selling?
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Delafruita(m): 9:58am On Sep 03, 2011
Arsenal is a great football club with a pedigree other teams with the exception of man utd and liverpool envy.arsene wenger is a great manager who has maintained a team with high quality over the years.it takes a great man to admit that he needs to adjust his policy.letme spell it out clearly that at the beginning of transfers,wenger identified his major targets as defense players which is why inquiries were made as to availability of gary cahill,chris samba and jagielka.he was adamant about not letting fabregas and nasri leave because he said arsenal wasnt in a bad situation financially so there was no reason to sell his best players.unfortunately they both left which made wenger shift his sights to gotze and eden hazard.to compound the problems,asenal had a hectic start to the season with the champions league qualifiers,by the time of the trip to old trafford,arsenal was missing 6 first team players to suspension and injuries which made wenger field his weakest team ever and so we got a thrashing.signing arteta and benayoun wasnt because wenger had abandoned his policy,it was because the deals for eden hazard and yanni M'villa didnt go througgh.wenger still has about £75million available so am sure by january one of those two will arrive.this is gonna be a good season
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by ogbongzky(m): 10:05am On Sep 03, 2011
Nice move, thanks to ManU. every disappointment is a blessing and am sure this is our season, watch out!. Gunners4Life!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by badmrkt(m): 11:25am On Sep 03, 2011
Man u this is ur handiwork, Prof.Sir Alex should be thanked,because wihtout him i don't think Wenger would have known he needed to change his transfer policy, United the club that inspires players,coaches and fans, United we stand.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by gtrust: 11:30am On Sep 03, 2011
Rubbish talk!
The man didnot change his policy.
The policy remains that 'any player above 30years get only
yearly contract'. He kept to that and the guy above 30 is on 1 year loan!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Gbenge77(m): 12:08pm On Sep 03, 2011
Having been demolished 8-2 by United,Arsenal needed to make a change.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by adedotman5(m): 12:10pm On Sep 03, 2011
gtrust:

Rubbish talk!
The man didnot change his policy.
The policy remains that 'any player above 30years get only
yearly contract'. He kept to that and the guy above 30 is on 1 year loan!
they will not learn lesson until man city beat them 16-1.Mtshew
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by seun0622(m): 12:43pm On Sep 03, 2011
maclatunji:

You have to understand that without Wenger's frugal policy. Arsenal would have gone bankrupt by now looking for some maverick billionaire to bail the club out.

Arsenal will get-out of this barren spell it is just a matter of time. I want to buy Arsenal shares is anybody selling?

Good point

It s so amazing that very few people know this and even arsenal fans still do not realise how much the debt incured from the construction of the emirate stadium has really constrained Wenger from spending much on buying players.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by baslone: 1:09pm On Sep 03, 2011
seun0622:

Good point

It s so amazing that very few people know this and even arsenal fans still do not realise how much the debt incured from the construction of the emirate stadium has really constrained Wenger from spending much on buying players.

I give him props for the move! He gave them experienced new boys plus quality with affordable price.
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by amblors(m): 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2011
Wenger's spending on deadline day wasn't planned, those were panic buys.
its not like they were no cheap quality players
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by fansidar: 2:07pm On Sep 03, 2011
Arsen wengwer is a funny man, y did he signed mature players at last ?, only clubs that spend money will eventually win smthin at the end of the season, lets c wot will happen to this stingy and self-centerd couch oooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by baslone: 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2011
Was there anytime he ever said he won't sign "mature" players!
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Airtimex(m): 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2011
arsene wenger is a man of policy and i love him for that, those of you thinking he made a late transfer due to man utd humiliation is a capital no. from what i gathered his job was threatened and was forced against his wish.

all the same tanx to ferguson for teaching him what english football is all about. all hail manchester united is another season of glory for us. am proud to support you man utd all the way. cool
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by defaze: 3:26pm On Sep 03, 2011
Wenger is still the best mgr in the world trouphy 4 5 seasons or not. Arsenal started on the bad side this season just like manu.always do but do not forget that the first shall be the last and the last the first GUNNERS 4 LIFE
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by amblors(m): 3:45pm On Sep 03, 2011
defaze:

Wenger is still the best mgr in the world trouphy 4 5 seasons or not. Arsenal started on the bad side this season just like manu.always do but do not forget that the first shall be the last and the last the first GUNNERS 4 LIFE

be objective for once na

1 Like

Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by bashydemy(m): 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2011
Chidoxyl:

@ bashy_demy

Thanks 4 thanking us. As my Yoruba peeps wd say: "eni ba dupe ore oni, a ri omiran gba."

Once again, thank U 4 saying a big thanx. It will always be our pleasure 2 do more!

But 4 now, bring on d next CADAVA (Medical personnel, pls, did I get dis spelling right)?

Manchester United 4 Life!
LOL am thanking myself cos i am a Manchester United fall thick and thin
Re: Wenger Changes Arsenal Transfer Policy by Delafruita(m): 7:01pm On Sep 03, 2011
@seun0622

arsene wenger has not be limited by the construction of a new stadium.arsenal transfer policy stipulates that 30% of the amount realised on the sale of any player is transferred into an account designated solely for the purchase of players.due to his not buying expensive players,he had an accumulation of over £100million out of which he has just expended £30million.just thought to let you know that wenger has never been limited by funds.its just his policy to purchase young boys.gunners for life

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Things You Didn’t Know About Lionel Messi / Arsenal Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers (1 - 1) On 27th December 2011 / Liverpool Vs Nottingham Forest (3 - 2) - Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.