Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me (2499 Views)

Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. / 136 Christians Convert To Islam In Kwara State / Boko Haram Wants To Kill Me For Converting To Christianity”–Islamic Cleric’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by NoMoMo: 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2011
Converting to Christianity means becoming a follower of Jesus by faith (John 10:26-30). Crowds flocked to Jesus, but most were not His true followers. They just wanted to experience healing of their diseases, see Jesus cast out demons, and eat their fill of the bread He miraculously provided. Jesus warned them of the cost of following Him.

“Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: ‘If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels’” (Mark 8:34-38).

Would you follow your own fleshly desires, or would you deny yourself and follow Jesus? Do you value your earthly life or eternal life? Do you treasure the goods of this world or the salvation of your soul? Do you fear being ashamed of Jesus or fear Jesus being ashamed of you?

You pursue what you treasure. You go to work and sweat because you know the rewards of a paycheck outweigh the temporary pleasure of reclining at home in front of the T.V. If Jesus calls you, you will follow, knowing that losing your earthly life is worth gaining eternal life.

Would you follow Jesus? Count the cost (Luke 14:25-33):

• Following Jesus costs your own life. Jesus said you must deny yourself, taking up your cross. One who rejects the cross cannot be Christ’s disciple (Luke 14:27).

• Following Jesus may cost the loss of family and friends. Jesus said His coming often brings division between His followers and their families, friends, and the world. Anyone who does not hate (meaning love less) his family is not worthy of Christ (Matthew 10:32-39).

• Following Jesus may cost the loss of your possessions. One rich man proudly thought he was good enough to go to heaven. “Jesus said to him, ‘If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me’” (Matthew 19:21). Loving wealth more, the rich man sadly forsook Jesus.

• Following Jesus will cost facing persecution. Christians should expect suffering as a normal part of belonging to the “man of sorrows” (See Isaiah 53 and John 15:18-21). Jesus even called the persecuted one “blessed,” saying “rejoice and be glad for your reward in heaven is great” (See Matthew 5:10-12).

God’s people have always faced persecution. The prophets were reviled, tortured, and killed (Hebrews 11:37). History records that ten of Jesus’ disciples were executed for preaching Christ. Tradition states that Peter insisted on being crucified upside down because he counted himself unworthy to die in the same manner as his Lord. Yet he wrote, “If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of God and of glory rests on you” (1 Peter 4:14). The apostle Paul was jailed, beaten, shipwrecked, and stoned numerous times for preaching Christ, but he considered suffering not even worth mentioning compared to the reward he knew awaited in paradise (Romans 8:18).

Following Jesus doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll lose your possessions, family, friends, and physical life, but are you willing?

While the cost of discipleship seems high, persecution brings earthly and heavenly rewards. Through persecution, the Lord stays with believers (Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5); He knows their limits and gives grace (1 Corinthians 10:13; 2 Corinthians 12:9); He rewards them in heaven (Matthew 5:10-12); He works persecution for good, shaping the believer’s character and glorifying Himself (Romans 8:28). The rewards far outweigh the cost of following Jesus!

Jesus suffered and died on the cross to take the believer’s punishment for sin. The only way of forgiveness and eternal life is through faith in the Lord Jesus (Ephesians 2:8-9). Although a Christian’s enduring persecution does not add any saving merit to the perfect work of Christ, a true believer will faithfully follow Jesus through suffering.

“For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, ‘who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth’ and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously; and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed. For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls” (1 Peter 2:21-25).
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by seyibrown(f): 8:56pm On Sep 02, 2011
[b]
Following Jesus is a life of sacrifice! Nothing should separate us from God's love ,  not love of the things of this world, nor fear of what others might do to us! 

Psalm 27: 10 (NIV 2007)

Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.

Though my Husband, Children and relatives forsake me, the lord will recive me.

Psalm 27: 1 (American Standard Version)

Jehovah is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? Jehovah is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

When God is your strength, you have to be afraid of no one.

Psalm 118: 6 (King James Bible)

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

When the Lord is on your side, it doesn't matter what man does. You have God you have everything. What strength has any man against God?

Hebrews 13:6 (NIV)

So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Man cannot overcome God, and when God is your helper man cannot overcome you.

James 1:2 (NIV)
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,

When these trials come, rejoice still. You wil overcome. Let the Joy of the Lord be your strength. [/b]

1 Like

Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 12:12am On Sep 03, 2011
@Seyibrown: I am disappoint at your quoting the wife snatching, husband killing David [this is your opinion of the man Psalm iwas ngiven, to unceremoniously support the idea that Jesus deserves to be followed, instead of David who is the one the Psalm came from his mouth.

If this is the case, then Jesus said that the Comforter being the that Prophet is the one to be followed. Why have you rejected him when he is the one who hears and God and says it to mankind?
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by seyibrown(f): 12:28am On Sep 03, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Seyibrown: I am disappoint at your quoting the wife snatching, husband killing David [this is your opinion of the man Psalm iwas ngiven, to unceremoniously support the idea that Jesus deserves to be followed, instead of David who is the one the Psalm came from his mouth.

If this is the case, then Jesus said that the Comforter being the that Prophet is the one to be followed. Why have you rejected him when he is the one who hears and God and says it to mankind?

David was a sinner. He repented of these particular sins you mention. He did not cover it up. It is written down for us to see AND NOT DO! That's the difference between the likes of David and your prophet. They acknowlegde and repent of their sin, and DO NOT INSTRUCT XTIANS COMMIT THE SAME SIN! God spoke through him. He loved God with all his heart but he was still but a mere man, a sinner man, just like I am a sinner woman!

Yes, ALL of the Bible is for our reference. Xtians know when to separate evil from good and choose good over evil! Xtians follow no man blindly but instead are led by the Spirit of God who influences theirr 'common' sense!

I quote David because I can rightly didvide truth! His words - inspired of God- are relevant in this situation.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 1:49am On Sep 03, 2011
@Seyibrown: Each time that you respond, I see that you did not put too much thoughts behind it.

Muhammad [as] was told to seek forgiveness for his sins, even the sins of the future. Future is a time you have not gotten to. So he had not committed the sins when he was asking for forgiveness.

I follow the same process. I do not perform immoral sexual act/s, yet I ask God to forgive me of it/them.

Arent you practicing dishonesty when you said Muhammad [as] covers his sins up, a thing he has not committed but asking for repentance, wich actually works, because when that future arrives, he did not commit the "future" sin he asked forgiveness for?

I remember wordtalks calculating the number of times Muhammad [as] asked for forgiveness in a span of the years he spent in the university to be over 102K. So a person asking for forgiveness that has covered his sins, instead that God covered them by not allowing him to commit them?

Finally, had nothing whats so ever to do with Xtianity. This is your vain desire. Even Jesus had nothing to do with you. I hope you will not be one of those who Jesus will shout "get away from me, I do not know you" too even as you are performing miracles on NL for his 'glory'?
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by seyibrown(f): 10:22am On Sep 03, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Seyibrown: Each time that you respond, I see that you did not put too much thoughts behind it.

Muhammad [as] was told to seek forgiveness for his sins, even the sins of the future. Future is a time you have not gotten to. So he had not committed the sins when he was asking for forgiveness.

I follow the same process. I do not perform immoral intimate act/s, yet I ask God to forgive me of it/them.

Arent you practicing dishonesty when you said Muhammad [as] covers his sins up, a thing he has not committed but asking for repentance, wich actually works, because when that future arrives, he did not commit the "future" sin he asked forgiveness for?

I remember wordtalks calculating the number of times Muhammad [as] asked for forgiveness in a span of the years he spent in the university to be over 102K. So a person asking for forgiveness that has covered his sins, instead that God covered them by not allowing him to commit them?

Finally, had nothing whats so ever to do with Xtianity. This is your vain desire. Even Jesus had nothing to do with you. I hope you will not be one of those who Jesus will shout "get away from me, I do not know you" too even as you are performing miracles on NL for his 'glory'?

Never mind! Let's just go back to the topic!
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 11:22am On Sep 03, 2011
Seyi, seyi, seyi [this is my yoruba coming out]. How many times, did i call you?

Mo ti so fun e.

Olorun a bere ese lowo elese o.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by TrueSeeker(m): 1:55pm On Sep 03, 2011
seyibrown:

David was a sinner. He repented of these particular sins you mention. He did not cover it up. It is written down for us to see AND NOT DO! That's the difference between the likes of David and your prophet. They acknowlegde and repent of their sin, and DO NOT INSTRUCT XTIANS COMMIT THE SAME SIN! God spoke through him. He loved God with all his heart but he was still but a mere man, a sinner man, just like I am a sinner woman!

Yes, ALL of the Bible is for our reference. Xtians know when to separate evil from good and choose good over evil! Xtians follow no man blindly but instead are led by the Spirit of God who influences theirr 'common' sense!

I quote David because I can rightly didvide truth! His words - inspired of God- are relevant in this situation.

What an excellent respond. lol. grin grin grin
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by thehomer: 4:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
LagosShia:

BARKA DA SALLAH!

"Bible (im)morality"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-739876.0.html

"Where Is Jesus"?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-739871.0.html

"Bible Verses Churches Conceal From Your Ears":
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-743341.0.html

"Killing Children Is Bible Miracle"!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-735998.0.html

"According To The Bible:if Your Wife Saves Your Life,you Cut Off Her Hand"!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=736626.msg8931460#msg8931460

"Jesus Never Told Anyone He Will Die For Them"!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-735489.0.html

"Bible Scholars Admit To Bible Text Discrepancies"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-734053.0.html

"the Christian God:blood And Human Sacrifice"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-651811.0.html

"original Sin"-linking It To An Imperfect God!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-551599.0.html

"False Prophecies Of The New Testament" (bible)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-550247.0.html

"The Quran Or The Bible,which Is God's Word"?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-729581.0.html

"The Christian Resurrection Myth"!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-739850.0.html

"Ill-fitting/hillarious Qualities Of God In The Bible"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-739934.0.html

"Violent Christians,"turn-the-cheek" Pretenders Burning London And Other Cities"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-732120.0.html

"Weekly Crusaders' Report-this Thread Would Be Updated Regularly"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-732741.0.html

"Norway Christian Terrorist Motive:"to Demand Crusade Against Spread Of Islam"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-719777.0.html

"German Priest Burns Himself To Death To Protest Spread Of Islam"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-551584.0.html

"Why Muslims Pray In Arabic"?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-574141.0.html

What is the problem? A section on Islam for Muslims with the moderators being Muslim is available so why have you decided to spam the religion section?
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by plappville(f): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2011
@Seyibrown: u ve just shown how a true Chritianity
Shoud behave, no war, if Jesus should shout u out for doing his work, no man should brag about it.
U ve given d best answer, God will refilled u with more wisdom to handle people with trace of voilant in their blood all because of Religion.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Chidiansel: 8:49am On Sep 07, 2011
Islam,is a violent religion dat believes in d power of violence(war,suicide bombing,bombing,arson,killing,jihad,sharia,fighting)and other forms of ignoble practices to solve their problens,because they dont believe dat thier allah can solve their problems when they rant in d name of prayer.Islam is an anathema and responsible for d present global disorder.They hav nothing to offer.Its a religion by force and coercion.If u ar born into it and u want to cönvert to xtianity,d true religion,ur family and other members wuld seek to kill u.Moslem in nigeria were convert by force thru a jihad led by othman dan fodio.Holy war indeed!Hav u read abt how muhamed got his so-message?Consider his antecedents,even how he married wit reckless abandon,marrying up to eleven wives,some thru usurpatiön and covetousness.D comforter Jesus was talking abt is holy spirit.Xtianity is a peaceful religion dat believes in d power of prayer to solve their problems.Any religion outside Christ is an aberration.Nobody comes to God except thru Christ,and dat is d indisputable truth.Islam was introduced thru d influence of d devil to cause distraction and prevent people frm following d real God.Allah is not d same wit d true God xtians worship.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 10:30pm On Sep 07, 2011
@plappville; « #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:14 PM »
[Quote]@Seyibrown: u ve just shown how a true Chritianity
Shoud behave, no war, if Jesus should shout u out for doing his work, no man should brag about it.
U ve given d best answer, God will refilled u with more wisdom to handle people with trace of voilant in their blood all because of Religion.[/Quote]I do wonder if Christians pay attention to Jesus at all. Jesus of the new testament said he came with sword and to divide people. He did tat by endorsing all of the old testament and warned no one must fail to endorse it, if he/she is a true follower, otherwise will be demoted to the lowest/least in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus demonstrated his position by the parable of the king who demanded that people should be slain before him. No wonder he asked his disciples to buy swords. We see that he was not a timid man from his youth; increasing in aggressiveness as he grew older, until he overturned the tables of the money changers, etc, even calling people vipers, and other filthy names.

You do not do the work of Jesus of new testament by being meek and shy, but hotheaded and brash. Turning the other cheek is the anti thesis of what Jesus stands for, but in your face never let them have a chance at the first cheek if you can, the second cheek is a no no, hence the preemptive strike is more like it. Who will forget how Jesus told the satanic Peter that he was the very house of satan, or telling God instead of his father or partner that he was not happy that he didn't help him by his 'my God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?'

Going to investigate Jesus of the old testament, as Yahweh will proof you wrong, completely. He made Adam and Eve sin, to the point they hid themselves away from Jesus. When they finally emerged Adam blamed EVe who he was supposed to be taking care of in the first place. How about Abel killing Cain and all the evils of the world? If we believe the Christians, Jesus is the one at the bottom of each one of them, including instigating Judas to betray him and then at the end of it all blame himself for forsaken himself. Guy, I skipped event between the beginning and the end, which I think you get the idea, already.

None of the aspects of Jesus in the Bible makes sense. if it does not argue against itself in the same testament, it does between testaments. Even as a prophet, he is a divergent from prophetic order, as he plays God and Man. As God he is different from God, Who is Unseen and singularly unique in all aspects.

I need to end here with the fact that the Bible cheapen God so much so that it records God offering repentance. Who did God repent to and do we expect the True God to repent like us, His creations?
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 07, 2011
You know absolutely zippo about the bible.

It's like a dead man trying to read an article on a notice board. Impossible , except by some miracle he comes to live.

Anybody dead in their sins can never understand the word of GOD, in fact the more conceited and foolish they become the more God resists them until their pride damns their souls.

"Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools, So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies." - Romans 1:21-24
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Chidiansel: 7:31pm On Sep 08, 2011
I see islam as a cult-demonic organization orchestrated by d devil thru d instrumentality of his agent-mohammed.So many of then dat repented and converted openned can worms abt how islam operate.All their so-called imam kno God or what He represents.They employ d services of juju and charms-which they believe is a gift frm their so-called allah.A god dat is incapacitated.A god dat supports violence.Where is mohammed 2day?In hell ofcourse.U People ar sheepishly following a man dat said emphatically dat he does not kno where he is going.U all kno dis fact.Dat is why u always say 'may peace upon him' wheneva u mention his name-knowing full well he is under torment in hell fire.How peace be upon a man dat turned d world upside.Look for a book titled 'who is dis allah'.I pity all of u. U shuld all repent and be all damned.Islam now confusingly operate on sundays to occupy muslims who now drift to churches in droves. Dis not a physical matter as u ignoramuses think.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2011
this is very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDbOCKdSIR8&feature=related

this is between a jew and christian.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 11:58pm On Sep 08, 2011
I am a muslim. So my view of the above video is from Islam. In Islam, we believe the earlier revelations. But we hold the view that each have been compromised, meaning corrupted and therefore not completely authentic. The Rabbi in his ignorance forgot that Jeremiah stated that the Rabbis/Scribes already by their pens corrupted the Torah, if what the jews stands on. For my evidence, the religion of Moses was not judaism, because his religion was not different from the religion of Joseph, of their father Israel [Jacob], his father Isaac, his father Abraham, then Noah, Enoch, and indeed Adam. For judaism to stand as a divine religion, Adam through Moses had to be proven to have this religion. But that will be impossible, since the worship of jews involves their rituals, and we know these were developed after exodus at the latest.

Further, there is no actual proof that God Almighty will not have other prophets and it will always be inclusive of the jews. Muhammad [as] was from the only son, if only for a time, of Abraham. The only son who was the son of the sign of the covenant, Ishmael. The jews got their prophesy wrong on Ishmael because he was not the wild ass as their book predicted. If i stop here, I have proven my point.
But i need to add two points here;

The lineage of Abraham were two; bigger branch Ishmael and smaller branch Isaac.We can see this by the number of offspring and the largeness of both religions. Muhammad was the last messenger, and final prophet and his official role included making the religion of Adam, through Abraham all the way to Muhammad, a universal religion. Submitting to God, fully and doing good and avoiding evil for His sake.

We know that Madina used to be called "Yathrib" and many have stated tat it was a city formed by jews. One should asked why it was formed, except that the jews knew that "that prophet" [check your new testaments, christians] was going to be raised in that city? The jews knew that Moses already predicted a process was going to come that will be like him from his/their brethren. The arabs are the only brethren the jews have, going back to their common father, Abraham.

I personally resent the 'gangster' characterization of the rabbi. It shows his venous hatred for truth. I want him to tell us who the prophet like Moses will be, f he is sincere.

Finally, in all the 10 years that Muhammad [as] lived in Madina, there were jewish scholars who converted to Islam [Sayiddina Abdullah AbdulSalaam was an example]. No jew said that he was not a prophet, because when they asked him about "Soul of man", they remarked that "we see that he was receiving revelation about it", before he told us what he was told. THe rabbi himself forgot that the first killing field based on religion was from the jewish leadership when they were still known as children of Israel.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 09, 2011
I am a muslim. So my view of the above video is from Islam. In Islam, we believe the earlier revelations. But we hold the view that each have been compromised, meaning corrupted and therefore not completely authentic.

So that means your ALLAH is not all-knowing , because he asked you muslims to refer to the books held by the Jews and Christians as original.

Did he not forsee that these books will be corrupted in the future  undecided

If he did not , then he is a great deceiver, after all the quran says ALLAH is a great deceiver , right   undecided

The rest of your article is a confused mass of mumbo jumbo, no need to comment.
Re: If I Convert To Christianity, My Family Will Disown Me by Sweetnecta: 2:12pm On Sep 09, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he plays in the sand box, just like his children.

Have a brain and dialogue with some sense. the woman who lives with you must have the skin of an elephant.

she has another son that she shares bed with. i empathize with her.

Obinrin ku iroju.

(1) (Reply)

Women!!!! The Down Fall Of Pastors / The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life / 5 Things You Should Know About How God Sees You, Pt 1 - Jack Kelley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.