Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help (1654 Views)

Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) / A Beginner Wants To Start With Python Programming.pls Advice / Python Programming! Pls Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by qtx(m): 12:18am On Sep 04, 2011
Am into I.T networking, hardware , servers especially windows etc, now i want to go into programming( starting with c# n asp.net).
My question is can i study with interactive software and end up becoming good or i need to enroll in a training school like firstlog to run d training?
Also if u have any advise generally of what i need to do to learn faster and stabilize on time kindly help me, cos the highest i give my self for this career part to start attempting projects on my own is 3months.
Is this possible?
Your advise will be highly appreciated.
One Luv
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by farouqzaib: 7:27am On Sep 04, 2011
@OP, Well 3 months is kinda short but possible if u can afford to code all through a day. Starting with microsoft technologies, *rolls eyes*. Dunno about that. Tried VB in another life, hated it, made things too easy. IMHO, starting out with microsoft tech is really bad for programmers. Start with the original, the alpha male, the first blood, the mother of 'em all, C. Yeah, start with C language. You'll learn a ton of stuffs about programming in general, especially when u have to deal with pointers and memory leakage. And besides, I gather u r under a tight schedule but please take time to understand the underlying principles of programming and software engineering, that way you wouldn't end up being another ploglammer. G'luck mate.
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by csharpjava(m): 8:51am On Sep 04, 2011
[size=13pt]My advice for you will be to learn PHP and C#, PHP will allow you to understand programming better as C# has too many drag and drop. Then use this knowledge to design websites.

The mistake a lot of people make is that they think to become a professional programmer they just need to learn coding. The truth is that in programming you are the Architect, Builder and Craftsman, Unlike in building where you have an Architect, Builder and Craftsman working independently. To become a professional programmer you need to know Analysis and Design Methodologies, like Agile, Extreme Programming, Scrum, Waterfall, SSADM etc, Usability Methodologies, like UCSD, Interactive Design etc, Project Management. Then Coding, Testing, Deployment and Support. These can only be achieved by going to University to study Software Engineering or if you study Computer science or any other computer related discipline you will need work experience to become a professional programmer.[/size]
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by tundebabzy: 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2011
@qtx:
a programming language is just a way of giving instructions to a computer. Its not knowing the language that makes you a good programmer but you being smart yourself. If you know all the syntax of php and all the inbuilt functions by memory, it won't help you if you dont already know in your head how to solve a problem at hand. Different programming languages have their strengths and weaknesses so you can go ahead and learn your C#.

As regards your question, I can tell you one thing:
Study with interactive software of go to firstlog but "You cannot learn to swim by reading books."
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by okeyxyz(m): 4:50pm On Sep 04, 2011
csharpjava:
To become a professional programmer you need to know Analysis and Design Methodologies, like Agile, Extreme Programming, Scrum, Waterfall, SSADM etc, Usability Methodologies, like UCSD, Interactive Design etc, Project Management. Then Coding, Testing, Deployment and Support. These can only be achieved by going to University to study Software Engineering or if you study Computer science or any other computer related discipline you will need work experience to become a professional programmer.

u are talking about project management.
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by csharpjava(m): 8:41pm On Sep 04, 2011
okeyxyz:

u are talking about project management .

[size=13pt]Yes project management, a professional programmer is expected to have this knowledge as well. Project Management is included when you study software engineering.[/size]
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by qtx(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2011
Thanks alot to all of u who have responded so far to my post, am really learning alot here. Just keep ur responses pumping in cos i know i will definitely learn more and decide finally on what to do. thanks alot guys
Re: I Want To Start A Career In Programming Pls Help by talk2hb1(m): 7:44pm On Sep 05, 2011
Programming ^^^^

(1) (Reply)

Grails... The Search Is Over / What Can I Do With Command Prompt? / Web Assets And Huawei Launches Nigeria’s First National Crime Reporti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.