Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,815 members, 7,806,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan (6324 Views)

CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change / Nigeria’s Gas Reserves To Last 79 Years – DPR / FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by prettyG: 3:44pm On Sep 05, 2011
LAGOS, Sept 5 (Reuters) - Nigeria's central bank plans to diversify its $33 billion in foreign exchange reserves away from the dollar by switching a tenth of the stockpile into yuan, underlining the momentum behind China's drive to internationalise its currency.

"We are looking at anything to start with from 5 to 10 percent of our reserves," central bank governor Lamido Sanusi said on Monday.

The central bank had already said that it was considering reducing its reliance on the dollar, which economists say accounts for the bulk of its $32.96 billion in reserves . The bank does not publish the currency composition of its assets.

But Sanusi, speaking to CNBC news by telephone from China, said Africa's second-largest economy was not abandoning the dollar and euro. "They are going to remain an important part of our holdings," he said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5E7K51OB20110905

The CBN will diversify up to 10 per cent of Nigeria’s foreign reserves into the Yuan.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2011
GOOD move. This is what they call proactivity. Nigerians don't know much of this!!
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by chrisvicch: 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
Hope it is a right move
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Rgp92: 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2011
chrisvicch:

What is the name of Japan currency? I am a little bit confuse here.

Japan= yen.

Good move, but Nigeria is looking for trouble  lipsrsealed
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by miky(m): 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^ why dont u goggle it, its  called yen
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Olarajee(m): 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2011
BEAUTIFUL. Yes, we just have to be proactive. We cant shy away from the fact that the US dollar isnt as strong as its use to be, and having all our Reserve in their currency is a very BIG risk.
And japanese currency is YEN not Yuan - China's.
Soon enof, China will even overtake the US as the world TOP economy and even the new Super power. Change is the only constant thing, Right? Good move CBN.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by JUO(m): 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2011
i like this, America own too much sef. imagine buying 1$ for N169
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by fuqua: 4:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
I am more comfortable with GHANA CEDIS! grin
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by 76Naira(m): 4:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
Long overdue!!!
Some big corporations moved part of their cash early to Gold, now its too high.
Good move CBN.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:33pm On Sep 05, 2011
I somehow doubt we can fathom the real reasons why CBN take this approach save for near guesses without real technical details. but hey, it is a free world smiley

All posting in Favor please be more elaborate why this is a Good Move? anyone please
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by dipo1: 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
China - An economy in the right direction
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by dipo1: 4:38pm On Sep 05, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

I somehow doubt we can fathom the real reasons why CBN take this approach save for near guesses without real technical details. but hey, it is a free world smiley

All posting in Favor please be more elaborate why this is a Good Move? anyone please

Though I stand to be corrected, I think its just about saving money in strong currency. The same reason you wouldn't want to hold on to so much dollars if you foresee a drop in its value or buying another currency with a potential of being relatively stronger than the currency you have at hand
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by wise(m): 4:44pm On Sep 05, 2011
That is a good move by the CBN and it won't surprised me when China finally emerged as the Super Power or Number one Economy because i have been anticipating this for long in line with what was written *YEARS AGO* .

This is the beginning of total freedom.

@fuqua, why not Zimbabwe Dollar?   grin shocked cool
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by wise(m): 4:47pm On Sep 05, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Hmmmm, as much i don't want to think there is a real reason besides the present value and credit rating of the US, maybe there is more to it than meet the eye.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by saintneo(m): 4:48pm On Sep 05, 2011
prepare for invasion people . . . Saddam did it, he was ousted. Qaddafi did it, same thing happened.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by maclatunji: 4:49pm On Sep 05, 2011
It is a recognition of the emergence of China as the new dominant economic power. United States is terribly indebted to China. Why on earth should we continue to hold on to their currency blindly?
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:01pm On Sep 05, 2011
this is what i have been waiting for
American monopoly is getting out of hand angry angry
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by hajifaty: 5:02pm On Sep 05, 2011
A nice move by the CBN.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by kabukabu(m): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2011
saintneo:

prepare for invasion people . . . Saddam did it, he was ousted. Qaddafi did it, same thing happened.

Smh, some thoughts are better left to dwell in the dungeons of the mind.Saddam/Qaddaffi, Nigeria, Really grin

You are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. grin
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by kosoro: 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2011
This is another form of ISLAMIC BANKING!!!
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by blank(f): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2011
So Sanusi get small sense?
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by ibelab(m): 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2011
why chinese yuan
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 05, 2011
Sanusi should be praised for this. We should insulate ourselves from the fall of a currency being printed like tissue paper to the detriment of other economies.

The only thing I disagree with is the %. We should make it 30%
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good move, How can anyone keep funds in a country that is chronic debtor. Its not also wise to import from USA due to strength of their currency. Its China all the way bro. I love USA but I prefer doing business with chinko.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Yeske2(m): 5:29pm On Sep 05, 2011
May be a good idea but i thought the naira was sort of pegged to the dollar or is it because there is a propensity for the yuan to rise and the dollar dropping in value in future, can someone expantiate further?
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by xterra2(m): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good move
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by BIGERBOY1: 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2011
The US thrived on their financial service sector at the expense of the real sector. china on the other hand makes everything real from baby clothes to warships.

evenn china is diversifying its over a trillion dollar reserve away from d dollar. So why shouldnt Nigeria
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2011
I am sorry but can the economists in the house explain how this is a good move? The same China that is battling inflation like crazy?! The only currency that anyone worth their salt is putting their confidence in now is precious metals and our govt decides to stockpile more worthless paper? I no sabi for this people again, abeg
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by BIGERBOY1: 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^
we r diversifying not moving. they r completely different terms

BTW we r just shifting just 10% of our reserves from the largest economy to the second largest economy
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by saintneo(m): 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2011
kabukabu:

Smh, some thoughts are better left to dwell in the dungeons of the mind.Saddam/Qaddaffi, Nigeria, Really grin

You are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. grin
just as your username implies - your thoughts have no direction; you just an animal amongst the herd. why the hell will someone come up with a CT instead of countering it, you just embark upon insults?

For your information, Saddam attempted to change Iraq's oil sales from the dollar to the euro prior to his exit, this was to affect the dollar thus a tool for change of  the price of oil at will especially among the OPEC. Qaddaffi was planning to implement a gold denominated currency which will be used for the trading of oil and other mineral deposits in Africa; this will as well keep the price of oil within the control of OPEC. The independence of small nations can never be entertained by the US, there must be a way to manipulate . . . invasion - physically, economically, electronically, etc.
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by blesdman(m): 6:21pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good move!!!
Re: CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan by Rhino5dm: 6:22pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good moves. Kodus to the FG.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Signs You Will Never Succeed As A Blogger / Brent Crude Drops To $77.78pb As Us-china Trade War Escalates / Bonny Light Crude Oil Sellers' Manadate .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.