Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:06 AM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101594 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 12:15pm On Mar 01, 2006
Once upon a time there was a certain Olumide Harris at 3SC, there was so much hype about him. He went to the AYC hocted in Nigeria in 1995 and flopped. Every now and then, there comes this player that dteals all the attention in the media but after a few fleeting appearances, dissappears into the vehicle of historical oblivion.
trhis thread is aimed at reminding us of some of these forgotten guys, Keneth Ziegbo,Sambo Choji,Mutairu Momodu,James Obiora,manga Mohammed, the list goes on.
If you know more palyers that have dissapeared, you can add.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 2:29pm On Mar 01, 2006
i forgot to add Wasiu Taiwo, scored on his debut for Eagles against USA at the Gold Cup in '95.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 11:15am On Mar 02, 2006
Wasiu lives in Holland.

@Teeroy
Do you want to us to list where they are now or just mention their names?

Wole Odegbami

Peter Nieketien

Osaro Obabaifo

Nosa Osadolor

#I will use up the whole page o#
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by nightrider: 3:35pm On Mar 02, 2006
there was this guy who used to play for AC milan's junior team , but i can't remeber his full name
it had mohammed in it, i think

kennedy boboye , raphael chukwu, etc
truly this guys just disappeared
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 11:36am On Mar 03, 2006
nightrider:

there was this boy who used to play for AC milan's junior team , but i can't remeber his full name
it had mohammed in it, i think

kennedy boboye , raphael chukwu, etc
truly this boys just disappeared

i think the guy u are referring to is Aliyu Mohammed, wonder where he is now
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by nightrider: 12:17pm On Mar 03, 2006
Yeah Aliyu mohammed. thanks, he was so good. i think it shows you need something a little more than talent to make it in football.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2006
i think from milan, he moved to serie c. y remember. and where on earth are mobi oparaku,abiodun obafemi and teslim fatusi. abeg someone tell me.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 2:13pm On Mar 03, 2006
@Teeroy

They were not forgotten but they are "hidden players of yester-years"
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by nightrider: 2:31pm On Mar 03, 2006
akola please describe what you mean by hidden
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 4:05pm On Mar 03, 2006
@NightRider

They were not forgorteen probably they are hidden from our reach.

Only yesterday i rememember Youthful Wole Odegbami taking-on a more experienced Yisa Sofoluwe in FA cup final in 1983/84.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by demmy(m): 4:55pm On Mar 03, 2006
Yisa Sofoluwe. woah. just yesterday I was reading something about him.

Bright Omokaro
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Edward Ansah (ghanian)
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 11:31am On Mar 04, 2006
Akolawole:

@Teeroy

They were not forgotten but they are "hidden players of yester-years"
i decided on the word "forgotten" to highlight their condition now. Of course,i didn't mean for the word to be intepreted 100% literarily. the word was a kind of euphemism for exactly what u meant. how many football fans get to read about these guys everyday these days eh?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2006
where is Edith Agoye,Ajibade Babalade,Abiodun Baruwa,Patrick Ovie and all the other guys in that Shooting Stars squad that lost to Zamalek in 1995?//

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2006
How can anyone forget all the "youthful players" paraded by Stationery Stores back in 1992/3?

Hakeem Ogunlade, Tokunbo Gbadamosi, Abdul Sule, Eddy Okoyomo, Leye Akinde and the rest.

i rememeber also Monday Agbontaen, Edema Fuludu of JBerger, Eddy Dombraye, Edward Anyamkyegh, Ndubuisi Opara both of Jasper United, Longinus Duru also of JB then. Wilson Oboh nko?

Kanu's mates in Japan: Blessing Anyawun, Charles Okonedo and others.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Infact it was as if teeroy stole this topic from me. I was going through 1997 edition of Complete Football's Top 20 and saw lot of names and was wondering, where all the players are now. sad So many talents!

When I get home tonite I will get the copy of the mag then type a whole lot of names that were in the news then.

Remember Precious Monye? Francis "The Cat" Anike, GK of Jasper United back then. What of the guys in Udorji United back then? So many wasted talents! angry

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 12:57pm On Mar 08, 2006
nice of you to bring all those names back.It makes me nostalgic.I think Eddy Dombraye is still playing somewhere in the lower leagues of Europe.I remember the period before Ecuador 95 when Edward Anyamkyegh was being tipped as the next Amokachi. I am waiting for the other names you have to submit. I knew this was going to get interesting.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 1:21pm On Mar 08, 2006
GABRIEL OKOLOSI!

He was touted to become the next Yekini, fizzled out when he went to Europe.

Where is Ahmed "Yaro Yaro" Garba now? Ganiyu Shittu was supposed to be prominent now, but he is no where to be heard/seen. Shade Akinrolabu was a shining star in Nigerdock then but where is he? His brother, Gbemi, is having a nice time now, but I pray he lasts sha.

Let me just get home and I will list some more. The memories of the good ol' days of the Naija league is just coming back now.

Thanks Teeroy for starting this wink
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 1:43pm On Mar 08, 2006
thanx 4 bringing up Gabriel Okolosi.the guy really made waves in the Ivorien league back then. remember Keneddy Boboye? yaro Yaro was one skilfull fellow,he was really quick on the ball then. that reminds me,Edema Fuludu is currently in Benin City.he is an understudy coach.he was one of the few homebased players who used to feature in the Eagles squad back then around 92-94 alongside Finidi George(before he went pro),Abdul Sule and Taofeek Malik.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 2:12pm On Mar 08, 2006
Taofik Malik

Yeah you made me remember this guy! he was then @ 3SC! That reminds me of Gbenga Okunowo. Was it injury or old age that wasted that guy? He was moving really fast by getting in Barca, but couldn't just stay in there! Oh my!

David Ogaga! That tall 3SC guy. remember their CAF cup win?

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 2:36pm On Mar 08, 2006
i think Gbenga Okunowo got swept away by the dutch revolution that reigned at barca that period.held that right back position at barca 4 quita a while then.

that 3SC squad the was full of talents sha. they used to play really entertaining football that overwhelmed their opponents. Of course, i remember David Ogaga.and there was also baba himself,Ajibade Babalade. I remember that thunderous freekick he scored against Zamalek in the 1st leg ofv that Champions Cup finals they lost.

Do u remember Ochuko Otos?He was at Concord FC then.really skillful midfielder.he played in that U23 team that were held by Kenya to a draw at the National Stadium before the pros came nad redeemed us at the "Battle of Mombassa".

2 Likes

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2006
@BolaOni

You remind me of those Ibada breed guys.

Gbenga Okunnowo(From Exide days) and Egbon Edith Agoye, Both are my brother's playmate.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 10:17am On Mar 09, 2006
i am trying to remember the name of Baruwa's deputy at 3SC then. someone hola it please.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 6:28pm On Mar 09, 2006
teeroy:

i am trying to remember the name of Baruwa's deputy at 3SC then. someone hola it please.

ADEMOLA BANKOLE

Think he plays in Wales or so.

teeroy:

Do u remember Ochuko Otos?He was at Concord FC then.really skillful midfielder.he played in that U23 team that were held by Kenya to a draw at the National Stadium before the pros came nad redeemed us at the "Battle of Mombassa".

Ochuko Otovbi I remeber him well. Trying to remember some of those Concord players.

I remember Sunday Ilevbare of Super Stores who later moved to Suting. I think there is one Daniel Njoku, can't remember so much about him. Please can we all remember the players of Nothern extract?

Yeah! Barnabas Inienger! Played while Baba Yekini was still in the news but fizzled out early. John Zaki, Bobolayefa Edon all Amuneke's mate in Cairo 1991. I think there is also Kabiru Baleria or so, Lawrence Enyi was playing for Elkanemi then.

@Tee

I wasn't able to look thru the Complete Football because of yesterday's matches. I will get those names ready tomorrow.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 4:22pm On Mar 10, 2006
Keep 'em coming bro
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 4:56pm On Mar 10, 2006
Teeroy,

Ifinally got the names I have been looking for, but mi guy they are plenty ooo.

I discovered close to 60 guys that were setting the local league on fire in the 90s.

Let me share some and we all discuss d memories we have of these players:

Patrick Pascal, Akin Ademofe (Eagle Cement) Bosun Ayeni, Ikemefuna Ozuah (Jasper), Bayo Akintola (Nigerdock), Francis Kumbur(Plateau), Clement Osahon(Rangers), Emmanual Ebiede, Gideon Imagudu(Concord), Sunny Nwachukwu(ACB),Ibe Johnson(Inwuanyawun), Arthur Madueme, Muisi Ajao,James Eneagwuna 68, Kingsley Obiekwu

Let me just stop here for today. I know your memory will be coming alive of the good old days smiley Idon't think the league of today has so many talents like it was in the 90s.

I don't want to start the analysis on these players, I'mleaving the floor open to you guys who have any memory about any of them.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 2:20am On Mar 11, 2006
@BolaOni & Teeroy

You have done great job here. Keep the flag flying!

But remeber most of our Sports people here are Post-westerhof football fans o.

#Ademola bankole was Nigeria's reserve goalkeeper in 2004 Unity cup in London.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 8:42pm On Mar 11, 2006
@Kola

Yes, I know, most of the players mentioned are also post Westerhof players.

Most of them played during the 95-97 season.

Its so good bringing back the memories. I remember how excited I was then listening to league results.

A day without listening to FRCN News, Sunday morning, is an incomplete one.

Gone are those days! sad
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ekitikete(m): 3:31am On Mar 19, 2006
What about Adegoke Adelabu of Shooting Stars of Ibadan; Andrew Uwe of Flying Eagles fame and later the Super Eagles; not to forget my look alike colleague at First Bank, Monday Onyechi who played for both the First Bank Club and the Flying Eagles in the 80's.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by nightrider: 11:38am On Mar 20, 2006
well maybe all these players mentioned weren't so good. They were good by Nigerian standards but foreign standards they couldn't match. Thats why they faded into oblivion. This might be a bitter pill to swallow but it's the truth.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by passy: 4:28pm On Mar 21, 2006
nightrider,
               it's true what they said but someone plz should not forget eto'o when making his next list of forgotten, hidden or lost nigerian footballers. as his uncle recently discovered that he is from nij a. plz no angry it's only a reminder so we can add to our list of forgotten players wink
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2006
@Passy

I beg, dont bring Etoo into this.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by passy: 5:17pm On Mar 21, 2006
kola kola
why not? he must be brought in wink
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 6:26pm On Mar 21, 2006
Etoo is not a Nigerian! 4get that crap angry His father was intervied sometimes back and he said: "WE ARE NOT FROM NIGERIA!"

wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ana Maria Markovic Tagged "World's Sexiest Footballer" Responds To Tag / Is Chidozie Awaziem The Most Handsome Super Eagles Player? / FIFA World Cup 2018 Draw On December 1st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.