Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101934 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bagoma(f): 11:05pm On Mar 22, 2006
i dont know about these boys from our league but i do remember a name or two in the eaglets then.
i remember peter anosike, played alongside kanu and oruma. lemmy isah as well (a very promising goalkeeper he was) but sadly they just disappeared.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 12:55am On Mar 30, 2006
I rember mike onyemachara
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 1:18pm On Mar 30, 2006
yeah i remember mike onyemachara too. the guy had an awesome long throw and was quite flamboyant with it too.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 4:23pm On Mar 30, 2006
@teeroy

Whats up man? where have you been since all these days? I hope all is well with you. wink

Akolawole:

I rember mike onyemachara

Mike Onyemachara played his part to an extent till he faded out in the 90s, at least he was with the 1989 U20 squad to Saudi.

Most of the guys we have mentioned on this thread were those who have flattered to deceive. Can U imagine one guy in jasper United then, Paul Kpoughol or whatever. he came out really hot in the 90s then he was even close to scoring twenty goals one season like that only for him to vanish into thin air. This was a guy that was on the scene before Olisadebe came to Jasper United then.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by slimgene(m): 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2006
Forgotten Players in Nigerian Soccer?
The list is endless,
I remember,

Monday Odiaka
Jero Shakpore
Andrew Uwe
Uwem Ekarika
Peter Ogaba
Nosa Osadolor
Adeolu Adekola
Moses Kpakor
Etim Esin
Segun Fetuga
Chris Ohenhen
Ayo Oguntuase
Kayode Keshinro
Augustine Igbinabaro
Moses Kpakor
Shobayo(i think he plays for Stationery Stores)
John Okon
Friday Elahor
Tarila Okorowanta and the list goes on and on.

P.S. I met Abiodun Baruwa in a barbershop somewhere in East London. He told me he now plays for a conference league team(Dagenham & Redbridge FC)
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 1:21pm On Apr 07, 2006
@ bolaoni

hey brother, i've been fine. it's just that i've been busy. I just resumed law school and u know how hectic the schedule can be. Thanx for remembering me and thanx for keeping this thread on.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 1:37pm On Apr 07, 2006
teeroy,

Glad you are back cheesy

How's law school? Which state U dey? Make U read well well o may be U go be my personal lawyer. Abi wetin U think? wink

Missed you sha. Hope we can keep this thread going on together!

WELCOME BACK!
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kamlesh171: 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2006
As a sports writer in South Africa i've been searcing for a thread like this one, as I am particularly interested to know what has become of Nigerians who featured in the SA league. I saw the name Teslim Fatusi in an earlier message. He tried out for a Malaysian club this past season, but was not signed. As for Raphael Chukwu, he is believed to be in SA. I do know that defender Muisi Ajao is still here in SA, but has not been a regular and is most times out of contract. Retired goalkeeper Williams Okpara is now goalkeeper coach at Orlando Pirates. Does anyone know of goalkeeper Prince Jasper Emaviwe, Wasiu Ipaye and Sonny Opara (2 players who came to SA with Ajao), midfielder Michael Ayeni, striker Benson Otiti and striker Anthony Ilodigwe? Last I heard of Ilodigwe was that he tried out in Vietnam about 2 years ago. Isn't the striker Kennedy Boboye still playing in Nigeria? Thanks for any updates.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2006
@kamlesh,

Thanks for awakening this post. I was thinking of doing that some times back but didn't have the time.

Well, in answer to your queries, I'm not sure all these players are still actively involved in the game.

Its being long since I heard any news about all these players.

Will try and do some research to find out where some of the guys are.

wink
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kamlesh171: 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2006
Striker Tony Ilodigwe made an impact in SA. On the opposite end a striker by the name of Sani Adamu flopped horribly about 2 seasons ago for AmaZulu. He played only a handful of matches and struggled with injury most of the time. He was here for such a short period that I doubt there are any photos of him. When he did play it was for a short period because injury caused him to be subbed. I only remember him because he was young and very tall and bulky. Anyone know him?
By the way, striker Christian Nwaokorie, who came to SA in the 90s, played the past season in Vietnam where he won promotion to the top division. If memory serves correctly, Nwaokorie was brought to play for Orlando Pirates by Shaibu Amodu. Can anyone confirm?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by teeroy(m): 3:51pm On Oct 09, 2006
Hey thanks guys for bringing this thread back. Kamlesh,how's the SA soccer scene and what is the gist behind parreira wanting to cap Onyekachi Okonkwo??
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2006
Baby Lawyer, how now? Na wa for you o. Na to just dey appear and disappear you dey now?

Are you thru with law school?

Where did U hear Pairera want to cap Onyekachi? kiss
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kitaun(m): 7:53am On Oct 18, 2006
Did you guys hear that Manga Mohammed died in an auto crash recently? So sad
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 19, 2006
kitaun:

Did you guys hear that Manga Muhammad died in an auto crash recently? So sad

Manga Mohammed is alive and well!

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2006/sept/17/sports-17-09-2006-002.htm
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kitaun(m): 12:58am On Oct 19, 2006
U sure? It was reported few weeks ago that he died in an autocrash, i hope he is alive really
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by 9ja4eva: 10:01am On Mar 06, 2007
Taribo West
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by randa(m): 7:38pm On Mar 06, 2007
hey i am really impressed thank God there are guys that do have an eye for the league , to answer ur questions, aliyu madaka mohammed is at zulte waregem in the belgian league, so is blessing anyanwu of the japan 1993 fame, he is at gent in belgium, ah i loved that 1995 set at shooting stars
heard motairu momodu is having trials at kaduna united !
pls can u locate samson ozogula, clifford chukwuma, kenneth chukwu, mba agbai, clliford cassidy, chijioke muononye?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by 9ja4eva: 2:08am On Mar 07, 2007
Ben Iroha
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 2:21am On Mar 07, 2007
Ben Iroha was not forgotten. He's the coach of the U17 Nigerian team at present. Played at USA94 and retired thereafter.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by debosky(m): 2:37am On Mar 07, 2007
mobi oparaku - member of the atl 96 squad but no news afterwards
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kitaun(m): 2:41am On Mar 07, 2007
Randa, majority of those guys u mentioned didnt make d grade u know? Mutairu Momodu on trials at Kaduna United? Lmao . .what a shame
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 07, 2007
having trials at Kaduna United grin grin grin grin
How bad can that get?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kitaun(m): 2:45am On Mar 07, 2007
And d guy must be close to 40
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 2:50am On Mar 07, 2007
where is Reuben Agbola?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by tafari(m): 2:51am On Mar 07, 2007
These are the ones i can remember:

1 Dimeji Lawal
2 Phillip Osondu
3 Chris Ohenhen.
4 Mutiu Adepoju
5 John Benson ( Leventis united)
6 Sani abacha ( 3sc)
7 Duke Udi
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by 9ja4eva: 7:18am On Mar 07, 2007
Our own goal hero the late Sam Okwaraji
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bolaoni(m): 11:13am On Mar 07, 2007
@tafari,

do you know that John Benson is no mate to all the people
you listed. I am sure he has even retired before those people
saw the light of the day.

I remembered his exploit with Up Sooting at the CAF Cup in those
days with the likes of Aji Baba, Duke Udi, Malik, Ogaga et al

Gone are those beautiful days men! cry cry

Naija football league is now a muppet show. Dunno when the
old glory days will return. The people we have at the helms of affairs
are all mouth no action. They run their own league on the pages of
Papers, will nothing to show on the field of play.

Na wa o. cry cry cry cry

Mobi Oparaku having trials at KU? hmm. What happened to all the trials
he had in Obodo Oyinbo. Well, he is bringing back his foreign investement
home. I am sure the Govt. of Baba Iyabo will be happy to have him play in
the league coz he is investing his "talent" in his father land grin grin grin
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by tafari(m): 1:09pm On Mar 07, 2007
Sam Pam
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by kitaun(m): 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2007
Bolaoni, its Mutairu Momodu not Mobi Oparaku
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by tafari(m): 1:55pm On Mar 07, 2007
just remembered

Lemmy Issa
Bright Omokaro
Edema Fuludu
Haruna Ilerika
Ugodiga
victor ikpeba
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by 9ja4eva: 4:35am On Mar 09, 2007
Yeah Victor Ikpeba
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 5:24am On Mar 09, 2007
Ikpeba went on a steady decline after his wife's death, feel sorry for him because he was really talented.

What happened to Femi Opabunmi ?. . .He's supposed to be just 22 now, never grew in his game after the T&T U-17 championships. I guess this is the price we have to pay for people faking ages for their own selfish games and to the detriment of the country's game, we need to stop people from doing this if we want to grow and match the Europeans in footsie.

What about James Obiorah?. . .He was scoring goals in the Russian league as recently as '02.

I heard Samson Siasia is coaching in the U.S. or something now, I know one Liberian guy that told me he met him a while back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return / Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.