Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,419 members, 7,781,223 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:52 AM

Interested In Shawarma - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Interested In Shawarma (10130 Views)

Chicken Shawarma Or Beef Shawarma? / Shawarma @ It's Best / How To Make Beef Shawarma At Home (nigerian Style) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interested In Shawarma by bouboubee(f): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2011
I luv shawarma so much,dat i rily want 2 knw wat it takes 2 make it.pleeaasssee
Re: Interested In Shawarma by sasimalia(f): 6:00pm On Sep 06, 2011
Its very easy and there is soooo many different versions of it which you make according to your mood and what you have on hand.

I do mine with chicken (boneless skinless) most of the time. The secret to that particularly delicious taste of shawarma is the tahini sauce which is basically a little sauce white in color made with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Obviously you can make your own. The way you season your chicken is also very important.

- You need flatbread or pita bread. You can also make your own at home, all you need is flour, a little bit of water, a little bit of oil, a frying and thats it. (look for recipe for indian or kenyan chiapati). Tastewise you cant tell the difference.
- I cut my chicken in little pieces, fry it and once the chicken is cooked add onions maggi, black pepper a little bit of garlic and nutmeg.
- Here is the recipe for the tahini sauce. You just need about 1 or 2 tablespoon of the sauce to add to your shawarma.

Tahini sauce is made from tahini - a sesame seed paste. Tahini sauce is thinner and used in pita sandwiches, shawarmas, marinades, and dips. Tahini sauce is very easy to make. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for about two weeks.
Ingredients:

1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)

Preparation:
In a food processor or mortar and pestle, combine garlic and tahini. Add kosher salt.

Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.

Mix in parsely

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Shawarma

On my flat bread or chapati, I lay my salad, cucumber, tomato, my chicken and my tahini sauce. I fold my bread over the filing and roll it on itself and then put it on my foreman grill for 2 or 3 minutes. You can also put in aluminium foil and put in your preheated oven for 5 minutes.

Of course you can replace the chicken with seasoned lamb bits. I have eaten different versions that had corn and/or avocado in addition to the above. The turkish or lebanese/syrian eatery I get them from once in a while puts them in pocket pita bread and adds chopped parsley.

You can make any versions you want with whatever you have really, some ingredients depending on your location are harder/easier to find. I'm a big proponent of making as much as I can from scratch. Hope it helps.

Will post a pic if I get to making it one of these days. In the meantime enjoy these.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interested In Shawarma by sasimalia(f): 6:03pm On Sep 06, 2011
Here

Re: Interested In Shawarma by butina: 6:48pm On Mar 13, 2013
Pls can I get ur number? Need to discuss better on shawarma
Re: Interested In Shawarma by Queendo(f): 7:31pm On Mar 31, 2013
Am interested also. Pls send ur no. My email is queendoone@yahoo.com
Re: Interested In Shawarma by donsola(m): 3:39pm On Apr 01, 2013
Please I need to setup a sharwarma spot in my hotel an I need someone to teach... Donsoladipupo@gmail.com
Re: Interested In Shawarma by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 15, 2013
please how do i get your contact email or phone no.,mine is cheksbry@gmail.com
Re: Interested In Shawarma by hrdesk32: 1:35am On Jan 02, 2014
Pls I also wanna learn aw to make shawarma. Pls contact me on damsen2519@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Where To Get Fresh Seafood In Lagos / Is It Wrong For My Wife To Compliment My Cooking? / P. Square Popcorn Not From P.square

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.