Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? (5515 Views)

Lesson On Child Training And Character Development / Discipline Or Wickedness : Child Training / When Does A Woman Conceive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Pennywise(m): 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2011
Child Training Or Child Abuse

I got the long end of the stick regularly as a child growing up. Today I can say I am thankful to my mother I didnt go astray. In today's world my mum would probably be doing time. Exactly when does child training become child abuse?
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by ifyalways(f): 9:06pm On Sep 06, 2011
Some kids needs just a frown,others a threat while some needs spanking to get it right.To a large extent,what works for a child depends on what method of correction the parents started off with say from the child's second birthday.

Just spanking without explaining what precisely the child did not do right,spanking to cause bodyily harm and spanking to cause emotional truma is a big NO-NO.

IMO,spanking should be the last resort.Talking,explaining and punishment should all be exhausted before one spanks.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by MissyB3(f): 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2011
What is abuse? Misuse . . . . misapplication.
Unless taken to extremity, no harm is done.

The rod, when used appropriately, does not kill anyone. If anything, it has shaped many into better beings and set them on the right track. I approve its application when there's need for it.
Spare the rod and/or every other disciplinary measure, and the child rots.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by woetooam4j: 3:03am On Sep 07, 2011
@Topic; After the child dies!

Up untill the moment the child is about to die, yeah, it is still child training.

You can quote me on that.

1 Like

Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by God2man(m): 3:59am On Sep 07, 2011
When rod of correction becomes the rod of revenge or attack, then it becomes an abuse. You use the rod after much explanation and warning. When you use one hand as rod of correction then you use the hand to draw him closer with love. God bless you. God2man.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Oba234: 5:02am On Sep 07, 2011
I don't believe in spanking. It never works. A child that is going to turn wayward will turn wayward regardless of how many spanking he or she receives, but with love and discipline from the parents, it can be avoided. There are ways to discipline children without spanking. I have heard stories of the way Nigerian parents discipline their children and I honestly think most of it them are plain children abuse. Putting pepper in a girls vagina, beating the day lights out of a child till the child went unconscious. Uisng a cable to beat a child. Abeg your child is not an animal.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by dayokanu(m): 5:17am On Sep 07, 2011
Missy ★ B:

What is abuse? Misuse . . . . misapplication.
Unless taken to extremity, no harm is done.

The rod, when used appropriately, does not kill anyone. If anything, it has shaped many into better beings and set them on the right track. I approve its application when there's need for it.
Spare the rod and/or every other disciplinary measures, and the child rots.

Seems you like rod a lot. Wa gba kondo
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Outstrip(f): 6:44am On Sep 07, 2011
When you slap your child around just to make yourself feel better but say you are not sparing the rod then you are an abuser. No different from a wife beater
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by nassiwa: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2011
when a parent starts making decisions for his/her child instead of just advising the child on what is good, right or wrong.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by nsodo: 7:03am On Sep 07, 2011
Child Ingraining Becomes child abuse when it inflicts pain on the child and deprives the child of his/her rights no matter how good that training is it becomes child abuse.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by showstopa: 9:00am On Sep 07, 2011
@oba234, those things u describe there are definitely not spanking.Go and check the definition.
And yes Children need to be spanked, all yu saying stuff about talking etc bla bla bla thats crap.
Spanking should be done appropriately and with love. 1 or 2 spanks to the buttocks after correcting the child is appropriate(spanking is with had ooooooo).Children are foolish and would always be at a particular age,it is ur responsibility to set them on the straight and narrow.

For those of you that live in Ajegunle or one serious slum, no vex spanking will never work grin
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by MissyB3(f): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2011
dayokanu:

Seems you like rod a lot. Wa gba kondo
Definitely not yours. grin
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by queenesthr(f): 10:42am On Sep 07, 2011
Take a look at the pictures below and decide whether it is child training or child abuse.

The difference between training and abuse is very very clear

Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by queenesthr(f): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2011
Child abuse or child training?

Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:26am On Sep 07, 2011
It pains me to see people associating disciplining a child with child abuse, Thats so far of it.

When a child is spanked, grounded or given coporal punishment that might seem extreme, I do not think it is fair to misconstrue that as child abuse. My mum never flogged me with a cane, she said I had grown resistant to it, so she opted for 30mm coated electric wires. She would tie me to the table and flog the bejesus outta me. If someone where watching from the outside, its tantamount to child abuse, but was it like she did it everytime for no reason? NO!! I knew that the consequences for certain actions was always gonna be the cane. So if you see me being flogged mercilessly, i more than likely brought it on myself. Thats TRAINING A CHILD not child abuse.

Child abuse is when a child is being sexually molested by a parent, not being catered for, is always beaten up for no reason by either a lunatic parent with a short fuse or an alcohlic parent, when a child is exposed to dangers/environments not suitable for a child, when the parents neglect a child, when the basics like food, shelter and school cannot be provided for a child, when a child has to work to support the family, e.t.c,

Please flogging no be abuse o!! Na training, Na when flogging don turn fight na there abuse start,
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by antonion(m): 11:30am On Sep 07, 2011
NO NO NO GUYS WHAT HAPPEND TO THE SPIRIT OF HUMANITY , THIS IS TOTALLY AN ABUSE , KIDS HAVE RIGHTS THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE ANY OTHE EDLER PERSON ,
THIS IS NOT TRAINING BUT SIMPLY ABUSE
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:38am On Sep 07, 2011
Last time I checked, children have the right to free basic education, shikina,

THey also have the right to remain silent and obedient to their parents.
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 11:57am On Sep 07, 2011
antonion:

NO NO NO GUYS WHAT HAPPEND TO THE SPIRIT OF HUMANITY , THIS IS TOTALLY AN ABUSE , KIDS HAVE RIGHTS THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE ANY OTHE EDLER PERSON ,
THIS IS NOT TRAINING BUT SIMPLY ABUSE

That is what destroyed the western society, They spared excessively undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by DaDoctor: 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2011
CHILD TRAINING VS CHILD ABUSE.

THE FIRST BECOMES THE LAST WHEN U REPLACE THE 'TRAINING' WITH THE 'ABUSE'
cool cool
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by antonion(m): 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2011
pinkrex:

That is what destroyed the western society, They spared excessively undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

you are 100% correct western society is being destroyed slowly
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pemimi(f): 12:09pm On Sep 07, 2011
I believe in spanking although i don't have a child,  Am speaking based on personal experiences i've had with my parents. For a child as curious and stubborn as i was?,  The CANE is required. Have you noticed that after you spank you lil kid( usually frm 2) he/she still comes back to you to cry. A sensible child will sit and think of what he/she has done, although that may not stop them from doing it again but when he/she grows he/she will understand why,  I still thank my Mum for spanking me cause it kept me on track. I believe a large percentage of wayward adults 2day are as a result of their parents inability to discipline them when they were kids,some times its also as a result of their parents extreme and brutal means of disciplineparents inability to discipline them when they were kids,some times its also as a result of their parents extreme and brutal means of discipline
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 12:12pm On Sep 07, 2011
pemimi:

I believe in spanking although i don't have a child, Am speaking based on personal experiences i've had with my parents. For a child as curious and stubborn as i was?, The CANE is required. Have you noticed that after you spank you lil kid( usually frm 2) he/she still comes back to you to cry. A sensible child will sit and think of what he/she has done, although that may not stop them from doing it again but when he/she grows he/she will understand why, I still thank my Mum for spanking me cause it keep me on track. I believe a large percentage of wayward adults 2day are as a result of their parents inability to discipline them when they were kids,some times its also as a result of their parents extreme and brutal means of disciplineir parents inability to discipline them when they were kids,some times its also as a result of their parents extreme and brutal means of discipline

You are so contradicting your self here, where do you stand huh?!
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pemimi(f): 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2011
I stand for spanking but there should be a limit, Haven't u heard of parents putting pepper into their children's ass or using wire, Thatssss extreme and i don't consider that as child training but an act of wickedness
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2011
pemimi:

I stand for spanking but there should be a limit, Haven't u heard of parents putting pepper into their children's Bottom or using wire, Thatssss extreme and i don't consider that as child training but an act of wickedness

Im not encouraging that either, but havn't yu heard of children offering their parents success for witchcraft cry cry cry?
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pemimi(f): 12:26pm On Sep 07, 2011
I dnt get you can u plz explain further
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2011
pemimi:

I dnt get you can u plz explain further

Some children are Devils that no Education or self development can help you manage them.

I know of a child whom is accused of 'witchcraft' because he predict misfortunes for his parents when he is asked of something and not given. It really happens after all. He told his father that he's going to die on his 42nd birthday in other to add his more years to his own age. Tell me how to treat such children angry angry
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pemimi(f): 12:37pm On Sep 07, 2011
Mountain of fire straight away, Lol!!!! To be serious the parents should be asked where they got dat child cos ppl do funny thgs to get children, They go see sum set of ppl and even drink stuff. When they produce children that are demons, they lament and act as if it wasn't their fault in the 1st place
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 12:42pm On Sep 07, 2011
pemimi:

Mountain of fire straight away, Lol!!!! To be serious the parents should be asked where they got dat child cos ppl do funny thgs to get children, They go see sum set of ppl and even drink stuff. When they produce children that are demons, they lament and act as if it wasn't their fault in the 1st place

Maybe ul help me ask them how they got the child o, BTW if you see such a child been hammered what will you say?
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by Outstrip(f): 12:49pm On Sep 07, 2011
pinkrex:

Some children are Devils that no Education or self development can help you manage them.

I know of a child whom is accused of 'witchcraft' because he predict misfortunes for his parents when he is asked of something and not given. It really happens after all. He told his father that he's going to die on his 42nd birthday in other to add his more years to his own age. Tell me how to treat such children angry angry

This is child abuse. When you accuse a baby of witchcraft then you are abuser
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pemimi(f): 12:50pm On Sep 07, 2011
Dat 1 is jamb question, i dnt think i can answer that
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by pinkrex(m): 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2011
Outstrip:

This is child abuse. When you accuse a baby of witchcraft then you are abuser

What is 'abuse'?
Re: When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? by armyofone(m): 2:04pm On Sep 07, 2011
i have heard of parent putting pepper in their kids eyes/private, that's outright abuse.

pepper mom was in the news recently, charge $10,000 and 1 year in jail. i'm sure she will never get those kids again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help On Best Baby Hair Lotion. / A Nigerian Lady Warning Her Future Mother In-law / Temptations Today With A Stupid Neighbour That Later Turned Profitable.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.