Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser (2822 Views)

Rivers Rerun: Governor Wike Says INEC Was Not Prepared / They Want To Frame Me For Bombing Oil Facilities’, Tompolo Cries Out / Woman Recounts How B’haram Prepares Girls For Bombing Missions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Beaf: 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigerian security not prepared for bombing, says security adviser[/size]

Abuja (WorldStage Newsonline)-- Nigeria's National Security Adviser (NSA), General Andrew Azazi (rtd) admitted on Tuesday that the nation's security was not prepared for the recent bomb attacks in the north and capital city of Abuja.

Speaking at the end of a six hour emergency National Council of State meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, he said the challenge was relatively new to the country and by extension to the security agencies and so the security agencies were not prepared for it.

Warning that the bombing incident might be part of the country for sometime to come, he said the country must resolve to solve the problem.

He revealed that security agencies would be re-jigged, but might not necessarily lead to change of guards in the agencies, but most essentially, change of tactics and improvement of personnel.

He assured that security agencies were working on a national strategy so as to be able to tackle the security challenge.

National Council of State consists of the President, Vice President, former heads of state, governors of the 36 states, former Chief Justice of Nigeria, the serving CJN, Attorney General of the Federation and the NSA.

The former heads of state at the meeting were Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, Gen Yakubu Gowon and Gen. Abdusallam Abubakar.

Azazi who briefed State House Correspondents at the end of the emergency Council meeting , also confirmed that all the people behind the bombing of the Suleja office of the Independent National Electoral Commission had been arrested.

"This morning I was asked to brief the council on security issues across the country. We reviewed what we believe was the true situation. There are security issues all over, problems in the Niger Delta, crisis in Jos, kidnapping in parts of the country, but I think the focus was on what was considered topical at this point. Explosives everywhere especially Police headquarters, UN building and although there are claims as to who was responsible. The important thing is that we as a nation should realize that we are facing challenges that are relatively new to us,” he said.

[b]"The problem is that we were not as a nation prepared this new level of terrorism, buildings we have, the public facilities we have, we were not prepared for that, so when these things happen there is a lot of devastation.

"All over the world especially after 9/11 and the July bombings in London, public facilities have been improved to say, restricted access but we have not had that.

"To solve crime, sometimes you need a national identity database, we are trying to put that together. We are talking of putting up a strategy on protection of critical national infrastructure, what do we do, what guidelines do we give to the nation on what to do about them. We are talking of public enlightenment, is it possible to enlighten the Nigerian public to make them more aware of the challenges?

" The security challenges are here to stay, but we don't think they will go away over night, the more the public is aware of their responsibilities the better they could serve the security services. If we are more aware you could pass the information but the security services themselves must also improve.

" If you have not had a problem it is difficult to find solution over night, even our attitude towards the public, performance of our routine duties and is not just one security service, could be the police, the SSS, the armed forces. We are discussing seriously how we want to meet the aspirations of the Nigerian public and to assure you that at some point, it is always very difficult when you face this terrorists activities but at least we want to make sure that the security services provide enough information from which you can produce intelligence and to be more proactive and once you are more proactive, you can do a lot to stem the tide.

"Today as we see, a lot of work is being done by security services but when investigations are not complete, it may not be the proper thing to do to start to expose the level of investigations to the media.[/b]

"But from time to time, we have tried to engage with the media either from the services themselves or myself, nor necessarily publicly this way, but I have talked to the media persons at different levels, I have engaged the nation on security on radio talk shows to give the public certain level of confidence.

"It has happened in different part of the world, but today it is happening in Nigeria. And we must resolve as a nation to solve this problems.

"But we don't want to make the nation feel so unsafe. These problems of religious sect and all that could have started maybe over 15 years ago and there have escalated up to this point.

"A lot of issues were resolved but security is continuous, you don't take all the measures one day, but the need is to create awareness even in the states, that even at their level they have to take measures to improve public safety all around the country.

[size=14pt]"We recognize the need to re-jig the security architecture, what are the steps to be put in place to make sure that the security services are more effective.

"We agree on the use of technology and you don't acquire those things overnight. Issues like registration of sim card are properly effected, we talked about border control, how to help the immigration to make sure that there is proper border control. We talk of security in maritime environment. Those issues were addressed.

"But the critical thing is to keep everybody abreast that there are challenges and everybody must stand up to face the challenges together as a nation," he said.

On the Suleja INEC bombing Azazi said, " I can tell you categorically that the Suleja bombing at the INEC office, everybody who was involve had been arrested. By the time you see them been prosecuted you will see that there is no deliberate attempt by the government not to prosecute those behind the insecurity in the country, everybody is concerned.

"I can assure you that we have made arrests and we will let you know in due time."[/size]

He said the Jos crisis also came up for discussion at the emergency meeting. He said, "we spoke about the Jos crisis and the President has said that at the next security council I should bring him all the facts available so that we can make a decision on what to do."

On the other issues discussed at the meeting, Benue State Governor, Gaberial Suswam who joined the NSA alongside Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State and Governor Liyel Imoke of Cross River State, said the emergency council of state meeting also discussed the award of national honour, the appointment of the chairman and commissioners for the National Population Commission (NPC), and the reconstitution of the prerogative of mercy by Mr. President.

Story by Victor Iluyemi (info@worldstagegroup.com)

http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstage/index.php?&id=3571&active=news
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Nobody: 2:40am On Sep 07, 2011
grin
This so called bastard starting from gej down to BEAF have never being prepared to give securty to their citizen
but are always ready to secure their-selves so they can loot, with mopos carry ghana must go bag full of money in those trucks
Gej is always ready to carry is mama for inside aso rock so she can be secure, but cant save the ppl inside the UN BUILDING
GEJ is always ready to secure the rich- e.g mikel obi fathers was set free after some days, but the masses being kidnap still lives in fear!
karmarudeen is a biitch, it never forgets nor does it forgive
it will come back to bite all of you one by one! and you guys will NaughtyWoman just like karma!
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Kobojunkie: 2:47am On Sep 07, 2011
How many times have our security forces been RE-JIGGED in the last 6 months alone? It almost sounds like that is about the ONLY strategy our government knows to attempt, each time another bomb goes off. For pete's sake, no be the same dem RE-JIG in March/April/May and now again
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Beaf: 2:52am On Sep 07, 2011
Donlittle:

grin
This so called bastard starting from gej down to BEAF have never being prepared to give securty to their citizen
but are always ready to secure their-selves so they can loot, with mopos carry ghana must go bag full of money in those trucks
Gej is always ready to carry is mama for inside aso rock so she can be secure, but cant save the ppl inside the UN BUILDING
GEJ is always ready to secure the rich- e.g mikel obi fathers was set free after some days, but the masses being kidnap still lives in fear!
karmarudeen is a biitch, it never forgets nor does it forgive
it will come back to bite all of you one by one! and you guys will NaughtyWoman just like karma!

I guess this is due to the harmful effects of "herb" inhalation. grin
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Nobody: 2:54am On Sep 07, 2011
Beaf:

I guess this is due to the harmful effects of "herb" inhalation. grin
yeah the same herb bob marley inhaled,smoked that made him speak the truth against the govt, he was right wasnt he?
like i said, karma is a bitcch, and it shall gun you down!
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Fornorth(m): 3:05am On Sep 07, 2011
They are not prepared becouse when they are busy stealing our country money its has never crossed thier mind that,one day those who they force to become almajirai will one day have the ability to use the like of explosive bomb to scarter your lexury and levish life style,and now its gettin late. in my suggetion the only way for my naija to get peace is to let those hopeless,homeless,illitrate and poor hungry pepeole have a good education,food.shelter and jobs equal to your sons. if you say no i think there is no any other way to overcome this terrable situation we are in this country, coz once there is porverty,illitracy,hunger,political favour,and the like of those big stomach thives as our leaders, you have better forget the word PEACE. But i dont know if some body has a better solution. Wich i realy doubt it!.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Beaf: 3:06am On Sep 07, 2011
Donlittle:

yeah the same herb bob marley inhaled,smoked that made him speak the truth against the govt, he was right wasnt he?
like i said, karma is a bitcch, and it shall gun you down!

Bob Marley made an effort to change the face of Jamaica and the Black World. Don't desecrate his name.

You on the other hand are like a weed that sprouts up to wreck good things out of the bitterness of losing, a pollutant whose mouth opens to reveal the stench of his arse. Compare yourself instead, to your fellow losers, boko haram.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Beaf: 3:13am On Sep 07, 2011
Fornorth:

They are not prepared becouse when they are busy stealing our country money its has never crossed thier mind that,one day those who they force to become almajirai will one day have the ability to use the like of explosive bomb to scarter your lexury and levish life style,and now its gettin late. in my suggetion the only way for my naija to get peace is to let those hopeless,homeless,illitrate and poor hungry pepeole have a good education,food.shelter and jobs equal to your sons. if you say no i think there is no any other way to overcome this terrable situation we are in this country, coz once there is porverty,illitracy,hunger,political favour,and the like of those big stomach thives as our leaders, you have better forget the word PEACE. But i dont know if some body has a better solution. Wich i realy doubt it!.[color=#990000][/color]

This is silly. First you justify boko harams evil bombing of innocent men, women and children; then you tell lies that insinuate they are fighting because they are poor.
Dude, firstly, the innocent men, women and children boko haram is killing are not even govt officials; secondly boko haram has never once mentioned poverty as the reason for their murderous ways, rather they insist that they wish to Islamise the whole of Nigeria. They also claim to be part of al qaeda.

As for the terrible situation in this country, your fellow aboki caused it over several decades. There are now 10 million plus almajiri's, thanks to your aboki brothers.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by AfroBlue(m): 3:26am On Sep 07, 2011
No black or brown country is prepared for the tricks of the warmongers and military industrial complex.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Fornorth(m): 4:03am On Sep 07, 2011
Beaf:

This is silly. First you justify boko harams evil bombing of innocent men, women and children; then you tell lies that insinuate they are fighting because they are poor.
Dude, firstly, the innocent men, women and children boko haram is killing are not even govt officials; secondly boko haram has never once mentioned poverty as the reason for their murderous ways, rather they insist that they wish to Islamise the whole of Nigeria. They also claim to be part of al qaeda.

As for the terrible situation in this country, your fellow aboki caused it over several decades. There are now 10 million plus almajiri's, thanks to your aboki brothers.
its realy now that i know you have a mouth, but wait a minute now clothe your mouth use your brian,first,i doubt if a rich man would give away his life,his family for just 10 million.i strongly bleave if those socide bombers are enjoy ing good life like getting even 50 tousand a month they will not give their life away this way leving there family. Secondly you said BH boms children and women those who are not even govt workers (i am not sopporting any type of criminal act against who ever its)but in the news its. 1, police headqurters 2, abuja 3, un building then army barack and they say they are targeting cops and govt oficial, then about 10 million almajiri i see u are happy a bout it hmm those numbers you mention, if its true o my friend you had better start pray, how meny army and police we have in the whole naija?, compair them with that number i will not tell you the rest, worst now they have bombs,i dey fear for your life my brother nnyamiriargeting cops and govt oficial, then about 10 million almajiri i see u are happy a bout it hmm those numbers you mention, if its true o my friend you had better start pray, how meny army and police we have in the whole naija?, compair them with that number i will not tell you the rest, worst now they have bombs,i dey fear for your life my brother nnyamiri
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Beaf: 4:11am On Sep 07, 2011
^
Stop smoking wiwi and get coherent. cheesy

Dude, all you are talking is sentimental stuff with no logical basis. Boko haram will be defeated that is one thing you can be sure of, they might bomb a few more places, but they will be vanquished.

I see you mentioned that rich people won't throw their lives away for 10 million? True, but poor people don't give each other 10 million to waste themselves and murder other poor people like themselves either, do they? It takes a rich man to find the 10 million. The very same "Muslim brother" rich man that caused them to be almajiri's in the first place. No?
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Nobody: 4:31am On Sep 07, 2011
Beaf:

^
Stop smoking wiwi and get coherent. cheesy

Dude, all you are talking is sentimental stuff with no logical basis. Boko haram will be defeated that is one thing you can be sure of, they might bomb a few more places, but they will be vanquished.

I see you mentioned that rich people won't throw their lives away for 10 million? True, but poor people don't give each other 10 million to waste themselves and murder other poor people like themselves either, do they? It takes a rich man to find the 10 million. The very same "Muslim brother" rich man that caused them to be almajiri's in the first place. No?
so you mean more souls will go all because gej want to finish his tenure? shocked shocked shocked
and you are right behind it? kai naija we don suffer
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Nobody: 6:18am On Sep 07, 2011
how can they be prepared for bombing when it is the rainy season?

is it not rain that stopped them during the abuja bomb blast

all the years of mend bombing pipelines,, atlas cove, the warri conference, people's houses, abuja, and nigerian security was not prepared

why should now be any different? because now they are finally and irrevocably in the international spotlight and exposed to all as incompetent?
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by daomi(m): 8:13am On Sep 07, 2011
So wat are dey prepared for? Looting?
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by lawalak: 8:39am On Sep 07, 2011
angry angrydo not be sentimental about this issue of BOKO HARAM,i am Muslim and to the best of my knowledge,this people are not fighting for religion.lets think logically,if truly they are fighting just to islamise Nigeria,how come we heard again that each suicide bomber takes 10 million naira to execute the evil act.so my brothers, this issue is basically political and i dont think anybody can really come out to prophesied their mission except those perpetrators called boko haram reveal it to Nigerians. angry angry
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by sheriffman(m): 9:03am On Sep 07, 2011
The truth is that they will never be prepared.Not now not forever.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Greenslim: 10:19am On Sep 07, 2011
But always ready to exploit Nigerians on the road.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by ochizo(m): 12:48pm On Sep 07, 2011
They were not prepared for bombing but where prepared for looting and stealing the country's money.

I laff grin I laff big laff  grin grin grin

mchewwwwwwwwwww
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by Kobojunkie: 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2011
give jonathan 6 more years , they will be prepared by then, for sure! grin
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by TheEngr: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2011
Okay but the Nigerian citizens were prepared abi? My friend do your job and stop looking for where to put the blame.
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by executinal(m): 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2011
No news here, i am out
Re: Nigerian Security Was Not Prepared For Bombing, Says Security Adviser by thuao(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2011
Imagine the NSA no dey shame. Of what use are u if we are not prepared, make dem cancel the office or change the man. E be like say GEJ self slow & too soft. All along no action na just talk & promise.

(1) (Reply)

The Worst case of Child Abuse in the UK. / 1960: A Curse Or A Blessing / Youths Destroy Jonathan's Posters In Kebbi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.