Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? (5941 Views)

How Do I Overcome Depression And Sadness? / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders / How To Deal And Overcome Depression Without Drugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by bingbagbo(m): 11:38am On Sep 07, 2011
Please help me!
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by MrCork17: 11:48am On Sep 07, 2011
Bro truss me I can help. What did you do/steal? wink
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Goldieluks: 11:49am On Sep 07, 2011
Go talk to a counsellor.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by MrCork17: 12:05pm On Sep 07, 2011
bin gbagbo. Best thing to do: Exercise. It usually helps. it takes your mind of alot of stresss. When u feel down and depressed, your heart beat becomes slow and blood circulation is reduced (truss me, I know). This makes u feel more depressed.

Solution: Look for any form of exercise: Jogging or Cadio  but stay away from weight lifting, it does not help. If you can joina Gym, u in safer hands! wink
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by bingbagbo(m): 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2011
Mr cork, when will u get serious? cant u emulate me for once?
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by MrCork17: 12:21pm On Sep 07, 2011
bin gbagbo:

Bro am being serious. Depression is very bad for teh health and can lead to high BP. Ask any doctor. When your depressed, blood circulation is reduced. You need to put your body in a positive state b4 u can fuction norma.  Bro if u dont like my advice, u can always visit your local native doctorl!  undecided
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by ebonyvibe(f): 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2011
You need to forgive your self and know that you are only human whatever is making you depressed has not just happened to you alone.

It happens to many people on a daily basis accept yourself for who you are surround yourself with good friends and family member who will not critisize you.

Talk it out of your system find someone (frien who will listen to you and talk it out as long as it takes talk it out). excersice to will help you. Mr cork for one you make sense

And give it time, time is a great healer and above all pray

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by MrCork17: 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2011
^^^^^ pastor! undecided
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Sijo01(f): 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2011
bin gbagbo:

am more surprise dan u ar.
wel, he has given a nice advice, work wit it & i belive u will get over d situation.
dont 4get u'v not told us wat d issue is oo.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Sijo01(f): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2011
Mr, Cork:

bin gbagbo. Best thing to do: Exercise. It usually helps. it takes your mind of alot of stresss. When u feel down and depressed, your heart beat becomes slow and blood circulation is reduced (truss me, I know). This makes u feel more depressed.

Solution: Look for any form of exercise: Jogging or Cadio  but stay away from weight lifting, it does not help. If you can joina Gym, u in safer hands! wink

cant belive u'r d one making dis comment wit so much sense.
keep it up, d sky is ur limit.
grin grin
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by dominique(f): 10:42pm On Sep 07, 2011
^^^ i'm almost convinced someone hacked into his account undecided.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by tEsLim(m): 2:49am On Sep 08, 2011
Smoke weed (marijuana) ,  mostly the skunk / hydro ,  you'll get appetite too and sleep well. Works for me its natural wink , yeah exercise and play video games too. Get busy wash your car, fix that old fan/bulb/printer/ move things around the house get busy. Go hang out with friends.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by SisiKill1: 3:10am On Sep 08, 2011
People overcome depression in various ways, one of which Mr. Co/ck has mentioned (color me shocked  shocked) and that is exercise. Exercising releases endorphins from your body, these endorphins interacts with the receptors in your brain which in turn triggers a positive feeling. . .Unfortunately, this is a short term solution.

For a long term solution. . .you may have to seek help from a counselor. They have tools to help you work through the issues that make you feel guilty and shame. Your knee jerk reaction is to say. . .hellz no! Why would I wanna talk to someone about my deep dark secrets so they can judge me but you gotta remember, these are trained professionals who know better than to judge you, besides. . I'm sure there's nothing they haven't heard.

If you're in school, I'd suggest you use the free counseling services you are entitled to.

In the meantime, watch this video to get you started (I like it because it's very informal)

[flash=420,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8QpaKYZHUM?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

Also try to answer the following questions in your mind and see what you come up with

Visualize objective answers to these Questions:
1. Who are you grateful for, that has contributed positively in your life?
2. What parts of the world are you glad you are NOT in?
3. What's great about being able to see? Walk? Being healthy? Having a regular place to sleep?
4. What's great about your life? (force this work- what could be)
5. What's great about you?
6. What's cool that you can do, and have done?
7. What was the time you felt most happy about you & your life? Recall & relive this experience in detail.

Note - The questions are from www.realamongus.com, the website for the guy in the video. There are many more worksheets like that if you are interested.

PS - It wouldn't hurt to read the comments on the video, even if it's just see that you are not alone.

Good Luck!!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 08, 2011
If u are married, have more sexy time with your lady! try different strokes apart from b reas t-strokes, i recommend back strokes, always the best stroke!
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 08, 2011
Depression is the worst state of mind ever. I know why you are here, you probably tried talking to someone close but in truth that never works, even where the individuals you approach appear to be much more happy and content, this just drives you deeper and deeper since the only thing they can offer is a dont worry advice.

The truth is you need to worry. Thats why you are currently depressed. What you really want is a break from the pain, the same pain you can be sure you may get over but never forget.

No drugs, alchohol, work or any other form of mind-dumbing distractions can help, you probably just end up hurting yourself and people around you.

There isn't any help out there only time can heal.

Was depressed once, not taking care of myself,  not sleeping for days at a stretch, not eating, working long, drinking way too much but never ever getting sloshed, having a beard cos I forgot what a mirror was, then my health came crashing. It helped because the fever kept me from thinking of her, so I decided not to seek medical treatment until a very close friend came over and insisted I take some drugs at least.

Am not there yet. Its been 15mths sice it all started. These days I think of her like every other 10mins as against every other secound.

Time.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by tEsLim(m): 3:30am On Sep 08, 2011
@Tobi_dad you lost someone or what?
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by woetooam4j: 3:53am On Sep 08, 2011
Go see a Shrink, get some SSRI and look for a p/-r/-o-s/titute to phock

Thats all you need!
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by jspac(m): 6:06am On Sep 08, 2011
Nairaland version of "The Doctors"
Here is your solution www.lifesucksbigtime.com
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Docosward(m): 6:12am On Sep 08, 2011
@bin gbagbo, what you are asking for is very easy;

1, Confess your sins if there is any to God

2, Give your life to Jesus Christ

3, If you offend anyone go and meet that people and talk off the matter.

4, Forget about the past and move forward with your life because life is too short to waste it on past event, what has happen has happen just look the future with hope because the best is yet to come for you.

5, you can walk in any christembassy Church and tell them you want to get this month Rhasody of Reality i know that book will help you have more faith in yourself and your future.

Cheers dear, you have Overcome.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Docosward(m): 6:15am On Sep 08, 2011
@bin gbagbo, sorry i forgot to add this to what i already told you, what you are going through now is purely is spiritual.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by DoubleN(m): 7:59am On Sep 08, 2011
The Bible! wink
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by Sijo01(f): 9:07am On Sep 08, 2011
dominique:

^^^ i'm almost convinced someone hacked into his account undecided.

grin grin grin
Com'on babe, let's commend d dude a little, mayb he's tired of his past life & has decided 2turn a new live.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by FindOut(m): 9:11am On Sep 08, 2011
Take some time out to spend a few hours at any General Hospital, preferably a fairly busy one. Dont book an appointment to see any doctor. Just try to go round the wards & clinics for maybe just an hour or two. When you see people suffering, relatives helpless, dead bodies brought out from the ward, accident victims brought in, then you'll realise you have a whole lot to thank God for. Coz some of the sick & dead people are more educated than you are, may even be younger than you are, may be more handsome, but it has pleased God to spare your life & keep you in good health.
Then go home and ponder on these words of wisdom:
1) Health is Wealth
2) When there is life, there is hope.

Think about them, relate it with what you've seen at the hospital, think about the many good things that could still happen in your life within an even shorter time frame than you think, and SMILE.

That should help your depression to an extent. And once the mind is strong, every oda thin seems easy.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by bingbagbo(m): 11:02am On Sep 08, 2011
Thankx 2 everybody, im grateful
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by SwiftSMS(f): 1:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
Bin Gbagbo

You are not alone. We all have done things we are ashamed of, and we live in the tension of what we were and what we would like to become (Well at least I have). I've lost a job due to misconduct, I've gotten entangled with some nasty personalities that really hurt my reputation and self esteem.Didn't know they were nasty at the time

In my opinion one of the ways to overcome is to start over in a new town or place, where people hardly know you (that is easier said than done) because of the enormous cost involved in moving, getting a new job etc etc. BUT a fresh start some where new lessens the reminders of your mistake that cause the feelings

In a new town or place: You hardly get to see people who will remind you of things you wish to forget (some people really know how to rub it in and I tend to resent them for it), you don't have to avoid certain places because you are afraid of running into people who know what you've done and you truly can start over on a clean slate.

BUT what happens when you can't move and start afresh somewhere else? You are going to have to fight your demons (shame, guilt etc) really hard in that old place where you still live and where you probably made your mistakes. Those demons can be effectively fought with the help of God but there are days when even I feel overwhelmed.

Today is one of those days, I just saw a former colleague where I lost my job and it brought back the memories of everything I did wrong while working at that organization the shame I felt at just seeing her was ooooooooo!

Counselling may help but where can you find good, certified and professional counsellors here in Nigeria? I would like to know if anyone has useful information.
The mistakes I've made, my feelings of guilt and shame may not be a bad thing because with them I am reminded to do things differently and live right.

The healing process will take a while but in the meantime fight and win the battle over depression, shame and guilt which ever way you can but please not with alcohol or drugs.

I hope this helps I registered as a new NL member just to participate on your thread and share my views.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by alexola20(m): 2:35pm On Sep 08, 2011
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by chikkim: 3:00pm On Sep 08, 2011
Counselling may help but where can you find good, certified and professional counsellors here in Nigeria? I would like to know if anyone has useful information.
[color=#000099][/color]

Will be glad if someone can provide useful information regarding that. Have a friend in similar situation just dat his is dat of inferiority complex. He met a psychologist who is more interested in his pocket than providing him with help that he needs. Any guide to a good genuine counselling will be appreciated.
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by deols(f): 3:09pm On Sep 08, 2011
check this out, u might find it helpful

[url]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-735029.0.html
[/url]
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by ibelab(m): 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2011
Back then; i never believe in Depression, use to argue with friends  about depress people ,after witnessing an incident,where a girl throw herself on a train  and die, wat happened, we asked? she was depress and took suicide as the solution ,they answered,   i do still remember saying, how can one be so depress, to de extent of killing himself. last year  it hit me like a thunder bolt,   that i hv to quit my job in dec,  cos it  got me into this mess . it became too demanding after the recession that i couldn,t sleep at night, i keep on thinking, y& x & w&z  & wat coming next day etc( if your familiar with cnc machines u do know what i,m talking about). within months  it,z turn worst, i lost concentration, i found it hard to fall  asleep,relaxing became a problem and i started keeping to myslf,  that was when i made up my mind to quit or end up like one,    jan got myslf another job, this time on the field no more sitting down all day on net, stressing your brains without exercise,  it,z funny how it can hit so fast,                                                                 @ pos,  hit the gym,  it,z the ans,  just  take it cool with your slf,  gd luck,
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by indoorlove(m): 6:09pm On Sep 08, 2011
2 years. back, i lost my job as a result of statement i made out of fustration to my boss. He was so rude, and never appreciate. I stayed at home 4 almost 8 months condeming and scolding myself. The little money i hv was lost to bad business i venture to, i was distabilised, i couldn't eat, sleep or think straight. Sometimes i ask God why me, why didn't i hold on and persevere to my boss nasty approach towards me. I finally broke this yolk when i lay my hand on a book titled " tough time never last but tough pple do" by robert sculler. In this book i learned that nothing great can ever be achieve until one realise and discover that, there is smting inside him that is superior to circumstances. @poster, if u look to much backward, u may soon be heading that way, forgive urself and move on, life is too short to think backward. Best of luck!!!
Re: What Are The Tips To Overcome Depression, Guilt,n Shame? by God2man(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2011
It is a spiritual problem, when your heart is wounded. You need to go back to your creator and amend your ways. When david sinned he became depressed, in the bible, he cried to God in psalm 51 "create a new heart within me O Lord and renew right spirit within me, cast me not away from your presence O God, take not the holy spirit from me, return unto me the Joy of my salvation and renew the right spirit within me" it is only Jesus that can restore back what is missing in your life. Keep away from those who influenced you negatively, associate with people who can influenced you positively. Have HOPE, it is the greatest healing force in the universe, this is confirmed by the renowned psychiatrists all over the world. There is still hope. NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,GIVE UP. What makes you or breaks you is inside of you. Change your attitude to life. God bless you. God2man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For July 13 2021 In Nigeria / Shocking Photos: Disease Causes Toddler’s Head To Swell Up Like A Balloon / Bed Bug Treatments In Nigeria, Bedbug Fumigation Services In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.