Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45517 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coolestboy(m): 5:22pm On Sep 07, 2011
When i gained my admission into an institution some years back, my parent warned me not 2 return home with nothing less than 2(1). But gone are those days when graduates will be honoured n glorified without considering thier honours. A friend of mine was humiliated some days back with his 2(2) paper, when a minister who wanted to help him in securing a job lambasted him that he has just wasted 4 good years. Then i thought to myself that Wole soyinka is a living witness to this issue of graduands honour. Are second class lower still relevant and recognised in this Naija?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 6:30pm On Sep 07, 2011
Well, everybody is still relevant to the society. It's not by class of degree, my broda.
I am a 2:2 grad. I can relate to how your friend felt. When I finished NYSC, I went to one of my dad's friends for some assistance, and he told me 'It's like you didn't go to school at all.' I felt crushed, but I didn't let it kill my resolve. Comments like that can be devastating to the psyche.

I took it all in, applied for my Msc, which was rather inconvenient at the time, and started the long and painful journey towards career definition.

It has been a long and torturous journey, but all in all, I thank the Almighty. When I look back, some of the IT companies that I was struggling to get a position with back then, which were considered 'big companies' back then, I am now personal friends with the CEOs and owners of those companies today.

For people like your friend, they should just suck it in, and start to make up in additional qualifications and experience. The sooner you get out of the initial funk, the better for you. As per work, you have to take whatever you can get to start with. Don't spend time envying those who are called for Mobil and Chevron tests. For most of them (the 2:1 and 1st class grads I mean), that's about as close to the oil job as they are gonna get. You should get cracking, so you can move past of them while they are still writing tests here, there, and everywhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Mcleo007(m): 6:58pm On Sep 07, 2011
@op, yes they are. Each one to his own right.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by dayokanu(m): 2:32am On Sep 08, 2011
Good one Ajanlekoko

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 3:59am On Sep 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well, everybody is still relevant to the society. It's not by class of degree, my broda.
I am a 2:2 grad. I can relate to how your friend felt. When I finished NYSC, I went to one of my dad's friends for some assistance, and he told me 'It's like you didn't go to school at all.' I felt crushed, but I didn't let it kill my resolve. Comments like that can be devastating to the psyche.

I took it all in, applied for my Msc, which was rather inconvenient at the time, and started the long and painful journey towards career definition.

It has been a long and torturous journey, but all in all, I thank the Almighty. When I look back, some of the IT companies that I was struggling to get a position with back then, which were considered 'big companies' back then, I am now personal friends with the CEOs and owners of those companies today.

For people like your friend, they should just suck it in, and start to make up in additional qualifications and experience. The sooner you get out of the initial funk, the better for you. As per work, you have to take whatever you can get to start with. Don't spend time envying those who are called for Mobil and Chevron tests. For most of them (the 2:1 and 1st class grads I mean), that's about as close to the oil job as they are gonna get. You should get cracking, so you can move past of them while they are still writing tests here, there, and everywhere.

I have nothing but respect for you Ajanlekoko. You tha best!

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by beejaei: 4:57am On Sep 08, 2011
Ajanlekoko, it makes sense now why you always show inferiority complex in matters relating to foreign graduates. You have your insecurities to deal with. Well, you have done well for yourself by coming thus far, but your self-doubt and need to re-assert yourself pervades most of your posts.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 6:40am On Sep 08, 2011
beejaei:

Ajanlekoko, it makes sense now why you always show inferiority complex in matters relating to foreign graduates. You have your insecurities to deal with. Well, you have done well for yourself by coming thus far, but your self-doubt and need to re-assert yourself pervades most of your posts.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You must be a foreign grad then grin
Well, if I was insecure about anything, I wouldn't put my personal story out here for public consumption, would I?
Those demons I have faced long long ago, and those issues are somewhat past me. If you had said this maybe six, seven years ago, that could have been something for me to think about. These days i am just being frank.

2 Likes

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Dsage1: 6:53am On Sep 08, 2011
@op,wat ar u talking abt, cos ova 50% of stdnts graduated wit 2:2 every year?D point's dat demand ar greater dan supply in d labour market&dat's an excuse gave by employer to reduce number of applicant.Rmemba,some 2:1 holder cant even defend it,som bribe lecturer to get ders e.t.c.some stdnt get 2:2 not because dey ar not brilliant but because of educational system we operated here.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Thatdave(m): 6:56am On Sep 08, 2011
beejaei:

mumu
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 7:00am On Sep 08, 2011
D sage:

@op,wat ar u talking abt, cos ova 50% of stdnts graduated wit 2:2 every year?D point's dat demand ar greater dan supply in d labour market&dat's an excuse gave by employer to reduce number of applicant.Rmemba,some 2:1 holder cant even defend it,som bribe lecturer to get ders e.t.c.some stdnt get 2:2 not because dey ar not brilliant but because of educational system we operated here.

Much as I'd rather you didn't do the abbreviations/text-speak, I tend to agree with some of it.
If everybody graduated with 2:1, then we need to look at the schools again. The labour market should not necessarily be driven by class of degree; why would you want to stick a first class grad behind a counter as a bank teller, or in a call center? Usually employers use class of degree to reduce the playing field.

Though I think your bribe assertion is a generalization. Some also bribe to graduate with the 2:2.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by itiswell1(m): 7:17am On Sep 08, 2011
Yes they are.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by playahP(m): 7:35am On Sep 08, 2011
I graduated with a 2/2 and people said hurtful things especially my dad,
well i swallowed and worked hard in my music as a producer,

well now i wouldnt say im a millionaire but atleast i earn a steady income and i pally with the biggest boiz in the game, my mates that made 2/1 call me and ask me to hook them up and issh, na now they know sey they wan be musician.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by lonamy: 8:01am On Sep 08, 2011
@ajanlekoko, I really appreciate your comment about this topic. You display high level of maturity in your writting and against the attack from "beejaei" you reall you impressed me with your replay.

I appreciate you so much. Please, share more of yoru experience with the public. It is a way of helping someone become somebody in the future.

Thank you.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by proffmanue(m): 8:04am On Sep 08, 2011
I had a GP of 3.40 and I needed 3.5 to be a 2.1 grad. I graduated with 2.2, but I know that is not my true grad. what ever u graduate with is not the terminal definition of wat u will become in future. u alone define ur fate,
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Oluti(m): 8:14am On Sep 08, 2011
abujazz why are you always derailing all serious posts with your borehole business? Are you the only one with his own private business in Nairaland? Please, post your advert in the relevant section and stop disturbing serious minded people with your advert.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by mrjingles(m): 8:53am On Sep 08, 2011
2.2 is not the end of life my people, its your attitude that defines how far you will go. I have a 2.2 but I can say thank God I have not done badly. First degree doesn't define your life (life is NOT that simple) its just one step in a very long journey called life.

Employers are slowly realizing that good grades does not necessarily equal good performance on the job. A recruiter told me recently that "we employ attitude and train for skills and competence" He works with a large multinational organisation. So keep your heads up and get down to business. Grades MAY get you through the door but attitude and competence keeps you in the job. If am to employ, I would take a 2.2 with track record than a 2.1 or 1st class with no record, even with the popular "foreign degree"
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by FindOut(m): 8:54am On Sep 08, 2011
Very good post from Ajanlekoko. Frank advice i give my undergraduate friends is this: When you are in school, try your very best to graduate with a 2:1. If however, you end up graduating with a 2:2, or third class, then its not the end of the world. Try to make ur seeming 'disadvantage' work to your advantage. Open your minds & conduct research as regards obtaining a Masters degree, or registering for proffesional courses. & if you decide to go the business way, its all good, as long as you are totally honest with what you do. Some people graduate with a 2:1 & go home to sleep, living under the illusion that they won't have difficulties obtaining jobs after NYSC. Big Lie. Many 2:1 graduates are roamin the streets of Lagos, still jobless, while their 2:2 counterparts are busy developing themselves, or in some cases, have even found jobs.

And lastly, a friend told me this: Even if you have a 2:2, do not let that deter you from applying for a job that states 2:1 as the minimum requirement. The worst that could happen is you won't be contacted. But in some cases, 2:2 graduates have been called for interviews & have sometyms gotten jobs that were advertised as strictly for 2:1 or first class. Whatever grade you graduate with, make sure you are able to defend it.

Miracles do happen & don't let anyone ever make you feel inferior coz of any seeming disadvantage.

I graduated with a painful 3.48, Microbiology, LASU and I'm due to go for NYSC in November God willing. And I'm confident that God has wonderful plans for me, which is why I wouldnt rest on my oars as I paddle my way to success.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Knight1(m): 9:03am On Sep 08, 2011
FIrstly
SOyinka didn't get his 'pass' because of academic competence; He did for poor attitude and behaviour.
Secondly
2;2 is not a death sentence, think there is a similar thread like this, lot of the 2.2 guys have got very good jobs, so dont be dismayed at all.
As a matter of fact, in todays university, it's mostly people with abilty to cram that have the best results, cos lecturers want exactly what they gave you and if you don't do it, yawa
so cheer up
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:15am On Sep 08, 2011
Knight1:

FIrstly
SOyinka didn't get his 'pass' because of academic competence; He did for poor attitude and behaviour.

Agreed. Like many of us, he probably spent more time socializing than on his books.
The dude did form a 'confraternity', after all. When I was in school, I made the conscious choice to 'rock' more and study less. Of course this has consequences, regardless of where you study, Nigeria or outside. And when I look back, I probably would do it all again.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by akinnux(m): 10:20am On Sep 08, 2011
Even though employers of labour would prefer First class or 2-1 candidate, the fact remains that 2-2 is an average score which means the candidate is good ceteris paribus. However, the best thing to do is to pursue a postgraduate programme. I work in a University and it may interest you to know that many of the lecturers in Nigerian Universities graduated with 2-2.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by DaBeaver(m): 10:24am On Sep 08, 2011
(First Post on NL)

Ajanlekoko, U rightly hit the nail on the head, GBAM! I am a good example of a 2:2 graduate that 2:1's look up to and wish to be like. I graduated in 2008 with a 2:2, not because I wasn't a good student (as a matter of fact, some colleagues and lecturers were shocked on graduation day to know that I made a mere 2:2), but because my grades got toyed with (fact!) and I didn't take it up with those behind it on time. Well, to cut the long story short, I believed in myself (and still do) and told myself that I can only be limited by my grades IF I ever decide to be. Well, needless to say, God has been extremely faithful to me; I served in an oil servicing coy and got retained there after service (mind U, the coy hardly retained corps members, but God helping me, I proved my worth). After a year of being there, I got a better offer from another coy within the sector and advanced, AND, just within a year of being here, I'm waiting for my appointment letter from a bigger establishment that I have long dreamt of working with!

My point here is simple; Regardless of Ur class of degree, (in the words of Socrates) KNOW THYSELF! Believe in yourself! Invest in yourself! Develop yourself! Know where you are and where you are going! It is said that the world has a way of making way for the man who knows where he is going.
Of course, needless to say, KNOW THY GOD!

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by joanana(f): 10:31am On Sep 08, 2011
@ poster 2.2 or 2.1 or First Class,  the important thing is the ability to defend your result. i came out with a 2.2 and i have a good job. i have worked in three different companies within three years. Don't wait til u get a job in a bank or in an oil company . any one u get start from somewhere, u will never know, u may get your dream job contact from the there.  Always Believe and have Faith in God. With God all things are possible.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chire(m): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2011
Yes Second Class lower graduates are still very relevant in the society. Don't be discouraged by your grade.

Ten years ago, i gradated with a 3rd class first degree. Except my family, Almost every person wrote me off.

Today, i have a PhD degree, and i lecture in the university i obtained my BSc from. (The very same department).

The fact that you have a low first degree grade today does not mean you can't be a person of importance tomorrow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by cindylee: 10:44am On Sep 08, 2011
DaBeaver:

My point here is simple; Regardless of your class of degree, (in the words of Socrates) KNOW THYSELF! Believe in yourself! Invest in yourself! Develop yourself! Know where you are and where you are going! It is said that the world has a way of making way for the man who knows where he is going.
Of course, needless to say, KNOW THY GOD!

I love this part of your post. Most people who come out with 2:2 end up encouraging other people that na God or look at Wole Soyinka or Bill Gates and the rest. Whether na first class or second class, know thyself and keep on developing thyself. As simple as that.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by desertboom(m): 10:50am On Sep 08, 2011
Oh. . . I'll be graduating next year in the department of Industrial Physics and my C.G.P.A stands at 3.0 now which is 2:2 category. After much calculations I realise that the only remedy for me to graduate with 2:1 is to make 5.0 C.G.P.A next session meaning; I have to make 'A' in all my courses and 'A' in my final project next session to graduate with a C.G.P.A of 3.5. Can I make a G.P of 5.0 next session? Please, I'll try my best but if It's impossible, I'll just have to manage my 2:2 at the end of the day and paddle my way to success. This thread just open my eyes to see how things is operated in the outside world.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by fredust(m): 11:00am On Sep 08, 2011
I Know of someone who graduated with a third class and has work in 3 big different companies, today he works as an head of dept
in one of them. please dont limit urself, try and develop urself and seek advice from pple who will not tell u anytin negative.
God will surely see u thro, only believe nd put ur trust in him. there is notin like class of degree in the sight of God.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by kpolli(m): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2011
If ppl with pass are making it and being employed. . . a 2'2 is still very much a good degree
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by gbigbega: 11:33am On Sep 08, 2011
2:1 is not a sign of brilliance or prospect for riches. Most of the very wealthy and CEO in Nigeria are not First class or 2:1 candidate. Many of the people with 2:1 cannot even defend their result or perform well in exams and interview. the recent NNPC exam shows this. The GMD of NNPC said most of the 2:1 candidate failed the exam. I can confirm this because 8 people in my office did the exam and 3 of them failed. the 3 people had 2:1.

What you need to succced is hard work,God on your side, and a strong desire to succeed and face any challenges that faces you. Those who had all this 3 going for them almost never fail.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by kpolli(m): 11:48am On Sep 08, 2011
gbigbega:

2:1 is not a sign of brilliance or prospect for riches. Most of the very wealthy and CEO in Nigeria are not First class or 2:1 candidate. Many of the people with 2:1 cannot even defend their result or perform well in exams and interview. the recent NNPC exam shows this. The GMD of NNPC said most of the 2:1 candidate failed the exam. I can confirm this because 8 people in my office did the exam and 3 of them failed. the 3 people had 2:1.

What you need to succced is hard work,God on your side, and a strong desire to succeed and face any challenges that faces you. Those who had all this 3 going for them almost never fail.

Spot on. . . . Best answer
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by kadman(m): 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2011
AjaleKoKo hit the nail on the head.

I finished with a 2.2 which is partly my fault - I wasted my first year playing and partying, so even in my second, third, and fourth years - when I was scoring 3.8- 4.0 GPA it was not enough to make up. Being that my degree is in Financial Services I knew launching my carrer with a 2.2 would be hard, so I did my masters immediately. I finished with a distinction and now life is good grin

If you're still in Uni try your best to finish with a 2.1 because even if you're depending on an Msc degree - getting into a highly ranked foreign school itself is hard with a 2.2. I was just really lucky I had extra things like GMAT e.t.c to get into a good school. You might also want to think of spending an extra year too boost your GPA (talk to your guidance counsellor).

But after all is said, once you get your first job - it's no longer based on degree, but on your abilities, inter-personal skills e.t.c
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by maipeople(m): 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

The only responsible comment that will make me to visit Nairaland again. How I wish people on Nairaland will emulate the good response of his gentleman.
My ONLY brother on Nairaland keep it UP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) / Funny Pics Of How Some Management Treat Their Employees / Hassana and Huseina Edili Ogaji: Meet Nigeria’s First Female Twin Pilots (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.