Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45507 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 1:33am On Sep 09, 2011
debosky:

Uni of Ouagadougou grad like me sef na foreign grad? cheesy

Even the name sef make me fear o (((( shocked shocked shocked))))
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Not exactly the same situation bro.
Self-pity and inferiority complex are human emotions that we all can't deny. The fellows who are opening threads are doing so because of the rejection and psychological stress they're going through. And i have to empathize because, well, I have been there before, to some extent. So I could not help but comment, just to encourage someone out there.

Reminds me of the constant stream of articles on huffingtonpost.com where american students with mostly useless majors and poor gpa's (despite the mounting student loans) constantly whine about how they cant get jobs because of the economy, Obama, republicans, predatory lenders . . . e.t.c.
Too many people largely concerned with partying, ridiculing those who spent too much time studying . . . then they come out with 2-2s and open up threads like this to console themselves.

It is true that sometimes paper qualifications are not a reflection of intellectual ability but THEY ARE a reflection of your general attitude to hard work, ambition and drive! Unfortunately for most, a lot of companies rely very heavily on paper qualifications . . . i have little sympathy for those who forgot that the road to success isnt paved with lackadaisical attitudes to studying.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:49am On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Probably took you years to prove yourself. However for your first job, and for anyones first job a 2:2 will be a hindrance. However most Nigerian employers will be more lenient than I am. I have no sympathy for lazy people or people who cannot get their acts together. What you are paid now is irrelevant, you probably lost a lot of income for getting s/h/itty grades. Do a quick ROI on your life earnings and the amount of time you put in school and you would find out that whatever you earned- your mates with first class earned more.

Not really. See your wild assertions sha. That's why I always say a lot of NLders are students undecided

Five years after I started work, I was already earning something like 62.5 times what I earned in my first job. Yes, I used a calculator to arrive at this, it's not a wild assertion, it's not a boast. And i was a designated manager by grade, managing my own department. And I was under 30 too.

Sounds unbelievable? Well, Elumelu was managing a branch at 26, and was a bank CEO at 35. He's not a first class or 2:1 grad. Consider that Fola Adeola, a polytechnic grad, was a bank CEO at 35 as well.

Does it mean these men were geniuses? Of course not. But they grew their careers in Nigeria, with very little competition. Same as me.  How did that happen?

In the 90s, when I left school, most of the first class chaps  left the country for postgrads abroad. Hardly any ever came back, in fact I don't know of any from my own set that did. In fact I can say by year 2000, nobody I knew that had a first was left in Nigeria. Even the ones that got opportunities in oil and gas, the 'elite club' of employment in Nigeria, they eventually left for one postgrad or the other. Some others left at the start of the dot com boom, for the US.

Are you guys saying that everybody in a class will graduate with the same grade? I'd be surprised if that is what some of you chaps are saying. Truth is, some people will graduate in the middle of the class. You mean to tell me everybody in the US who is a Fortune 100 CEO graduated at the top of their class? That's just laughable. Most probably did not. A number even dropped out of Ivy League programs? Where do we place those ones?

Oh, one more thing. The first class and 2:1 people that left? A lot of them are doing excellently well abroad; lots of my old classmates are CEOs of their own startups, university professors, as well as veepees and whatnot, in one top position or the other. But a few fortunate people like me were able to take advantage of the openings at home. As they say, to each his own.

And you see, that's just the same weird assumption everybody seems to make. Believe you me, everything in life is all about demand and supply. The only reason why this is a major discussion today is very simple: The jobs market has imploded all over the world. Graduates are suddenly not worth as much as they were some years ago. Not just in Nigeria. Now everybody that goes abroad is looking to be back in Nigeria immediately after school. A decade ago, we would not even be having this discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 1:50am On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

I once has the misfortune of interacting with a 2:2 engineering graduate from Nigeria. I was horrendously scarred. I grew dumber every minute I talked to the guy. Guy was an engineer and did not know how to use an excel sheet and was unwilling to learn anything. I have countless stories but I think it would suffice to say 2:2=M/O/R/ON

You just proved me right. You've lost touch. First of all, you need to differentiate the student/man/woman/individual from the system. The Nigerian educational system is phocked up. But the Nigerian brain is still, to a great extent, something you can rely on, all other things considered. Making your decision based on one chance encounter is not only anti-intellectual, it is very depressing and something I never expected from some one your caliber, assuming you are not being sarcastic.

For starters, your n= 1, which means that it is not representative of the quality of Nigerian engineering graduates. Period. And making any sort of generalization is tantamount to acting out your preconceived notions about Nigerian engineering graduates borne out of your fears and insecurities. Perhaps, you were denied admission to a Nigerian university. An experience that has now scarred you, making you to look for faults no matter how small in people that supposedly took your spots and in the process hurt your feelings badly. Which means, you my friend arent different from Ajanlekoko. Only that the circumstances are different.

Secondly, the system is stacked against certain people. Success as a student in Nigeria depends mostly on how well you are able to cram. if you are not good at cramming, you are phocked. That is the truth. meaning, in a system like ours, you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you judged people by their cGPA alone. Nigerian certificates  rarely reflects, within the Nigerian context, the capability of the individual holding it.

Thirdly, graduating from college alone is a testament and in a way some recommendation from the school that you have met the minimum requirement needed to excel in your field, and trying to separate people on the basis of the cGPA is merely an exercise in futility because , psychologically soothing as it may seem, everyone, and especially new recruits irrespective of cGPA still needs to operate within a laid down set of rules. The point is that in a world as standardized as ours, people rarely use what they learnt in school. Your first class guy isnt going to be making waves immediately, and the third class dude isnt probably as incompetent to not be able to do the  job.  If he wasnt competent enough, he would not have graduated in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:57am On Sep 09, 2011
woetooam4j:

Secondly, the system is stacked against certain people. Success as a student in Nigeria depends mostly on how well you are able to cram. if you are not good at cramming, you are phocked. That is the truth. meaning, in a system like ours, you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you judged people by their cGPA alone. Nigerian certificates  rarely reflects, within the Nigerian context, the capability of the individual holding it.

While that may be true for some, it is not a universal truth. What you're trying to imply is that 100% of those with high gpa's are simply crammers? False.

woetooam4j:

Thirdly, graduating from college alone is a testament and in a way some recommendation from the school that you have met the minimum requirement needed to excel in your field, and trying to separate people on the basis of the cGPA is merely an exercise in futility because , psychologically soothing as it may seem, everyone, and especially new recruits irrespective of cGPA still needs to operate within a laid down set of rules. The point is that in a world as standardized as ours, people rarely use what they learnt in school. Your first class guy isnt going to be making waves immediately, and the third class dude isnt probably as incompetent to not be able to do the  job.  If he wasnt, he would not have graduated in the first place.

True. Part of going to school is learning how to think, innovate and proffer solutions to problems. The GPA is a fair means of judging those who have potential.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 2:43am On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

[size=28pt]
I once has the misfortune
[/size] of interacting with a 2:2 engineering graduate from Nigeria. I was horrendously scarred. I grew dumber every minute I talked to the guy. Guy was an engineer and did not know how to use an excel sheet and was unwilling to learn anything. I have countless stories but I think it would suffice to say 2:2=M/O/R/ON

Probably took you years to prove yourself. However for your first job, and for anyones first job a 2:2 will be a hindrance. However most Nigerian employers will be more lenient than I am. I have no sympathy for lazy people or people who cannot get their acts together. What you are paid now is irrelevant, you probably lost a lot of income for getting s/h/itty grades. Do a quick ROI on your life earnings and the amount of time you put in school and you would find out that whatever you earned- your mates with first class earned more.

I am a pretty nice guy- lemme rephrase- if i ran a family business and wanted to give my lazy relative, a massive fuckup who got a 2:2 a job, I would have no qualms doing so

However, if I am running a proper business, and I want things done and dont want my business to get properly screwed by a lazy dimwit who could not hustle a 2:1, then I would only hire people with such degrees at the janitorial level.

I am talking about the first job- of course when you have proven yourself things are a bit different. An employer only has your university degree to evaluate you when you are first trying to get a job in nigeria

Talking about foreign grads. . . . lipsrsealed shocked
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 2:46am On Sep 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I think that was an oversight shocked
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 09, 2011
By the way, wasn't there a thread about 80% FIRST class Nigerian grads failing some sort of test?

An engineering bud told me that Nigerian schools do not go deeply into their subjects. He said that he laughs whenever he compares the  class he's taking now (at a US uni) to the same class he took in Nigeria.

Second class ni o, First class ni o. . . . really, kini difference ni Naija? Even the third class can party along.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by SEFAGO(m): 3:16am On Sep 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I am using a Mac not my usual PC and the S is very close to the D (ASDF) and I type pretty fast. In short its a typo.

By the way, wasn't there a thread about 80% FIRST class Nigerian grads failing some sort of test?

An engineering bud told me that Nigerian schools do not go deeply into their subjects. He said that he laughs whenever he compares the class he's taking now (at a US uni) to the same class he took in Nigeria.

Second class ni o, First class ni o. . . . really, kini difference ni Naija? Even the third class can party along.

The difference is that the first class graduates might be bad but they are relatively better than the second class lower grads.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:31am On Sep 09, 2011
No. kill them
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 3:34am On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

I am using a Mac not my usual PC and the S is very close to the D (ASDF) and I type pretty fast. In short its a typo.

Even me with 10 Ipads and 55 HP tablets, I dont have that problem.

BTW, my Mac, actually my Macs have well spaced buttons grin grin grin grin

And not to talk of my PCs, from Dell to Sony to Toshiba, I have them all!

PS: [size=5pt]SEFAGO is on the thread, it is brag about what you dont have time[/size] grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 3:39am On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Yea, that thing is annoying, isnt it. You're excused.

But ehrrm, macs have wider spaced keys than other PCs, but still, I'll excuse your mistake tongue

The difference is that the first class graduates might be bad but they are relatively better than the second class lower grads.

In a global level, is there really a significant difference between First class and Second class Nigerian grads?

In Nigeria, the difference might be relatively better, but in a progressive academic institution (i.e effective research, updated technologies, government funds, grants etc), how sig. is the difference?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 09, 2011
Hae always been relevant. Ajanlekoko and Oyb, perhaps the most valuable career 'consultants' and two of the smartest contributors to NL career section,  are 2.2 grads. That says a lot, but then, not everyone is as smart as these guys, so try get a higher grade to give you some starting advantage. Oyb, for example, is my senior colleague(though an Engineer and me an Accouuntant) and his smartness in real world is easily visiblee from first physical meeting.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coolestboy(m): 6:41am On Sep 09, 2011
Thanks to everbody, esp ajanlekoko. I did advised him to start with his 2nd degree, but he has always been complainin about his financial standard. Infact, he's doesnt know wat exactly to do, d jobs are nt coming, there is no capital to start up a biz, neither is there money to futher his study. He has this feeling of dejection and rejection. I had to pick up the job search myself, but i'm yet to find one.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coolestboy(m): 6:45am On Sep 09, 2011
If anybody has a clue about any vacancy, i am fully interested. Thanks
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by nautysense(m): 7:22am On Sep 09, 2011
u guys sound as if 2'2 is nat ok, 2'2-is guud, 2'1-better, 1st class-best, am a 2'2 grad. Am proud of it, by d wae i was born on d 22nd *laffs* d@s by d wae. ur grades ar determined by so many factors, som students sort dere wae tu 2'1, 2'2 nd 1st class honous, nor b evrybody wae gain admission dae graduate oh! Some dae die, carry HIV, drop out, etc guys am proud of ma 2'2, labour mkt no worri me again o, or i go employ u masef.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by nautysense(m): 7:43am On Sep 09, 2011
u guys sound as if 2'2 is nat ok, 2'2-is guud, 2'1-better, 1st class-best, am a 2'2 grad. Am proud of it, by d wae i was born on d 22nd *laffs* d@s by d wae. ur grades ar determined by so many factors, som students sort dere wae tu 2'1, 2'2 nd 1st class honous, nor b evrybody wae gain admission dae graduate oh! Some dae die, carry HIV, drop out, etc guys am proud of ma 2'2, labour mkt no worri me again o, or i go employ u masef.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 09, 2011
If there's anything I've learnt in my not so long career, it's that if I start a company and want to hire, I won't place a lot of emphasis on their paper grade. I used to believe in the hype of class of degree until I started working; there's more to what you can offer than your class of degree
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:18am On Sep 09, 2011
naijababe:

If there's anything I've learnt in my not so long career, it's that if I start a company and want to hire, I won't place a lot of emphasis on their paper grade. I used to believe in the hype of class of degree until I started working;  there's more to what you can offer than your class of degree

grin grin grin
You no go follow the Sefago Hiring Methodology?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

grin grin grin

Not unless it's just a passing fancy or a hobby. Mehn!!! the things I've seen from supposed top grads from top schools, na to just keep quiet abeg lipsrsealed
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coolestboy(m): 10:52am On Sep 09, 2011
naijababe:

If there's anything I've learnt in my not so long career, it's that if I start a company and want to hire, I won't place a lot of emphasis on their paper grade. I used to believe in the hype of class of degree until I started working; there's more to what you can offer than your class of degree

Most of these recruiting firms dont look @ that instead, u see them saying for first class and second class upper, i hope they will gear up and realise that most of these 2-2 graduates are far better than some 1st class holder.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:23am On Sep 09, 2011
coolestboy:

Most of these recruiting firms dont look @ that instead, u see them saying for first class and second class upper, i hope they will gear up and realise that most of these 2-2 graduates are far better than some 1st class holder.

Keep fooling yourself.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coolestboy(m): 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
woetooam4j:

Keep fooling yourself.

what's the meaning of that?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
coolestboy:

what's the meaning of that?

I am shocked you graduated with a 2-2.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
Jarus:

Hae always been relevant. Ajanlekoko and Oyb, perhaps the most valuable career 'consultants' and two of the smartest contributors to NL career section,  are 2.2 grads. That says a lot, but then, not everyone is as smart as these guys, so try get a higher grade to give you some starting advantage. Oyb, for example, is my senior colleague(though an Engineer and me an Accouuntant) and his smartness in real world is easily visiblee from first physical meeting.

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed smiley

thank God sefago no be oga for our company o. i for dey reception in kings guard uniform - 'sir let me see your computer' , or na to dey distribute bday cake cheesy
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
oyb:

thank God sefago no be oga for our company o. i for dey reception in kings guard uniform - 'sir let me see your computer' , or na to dey distribute bday cake cheesy

grin grin grin grin

Haaa, oga!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 5:14pm On Sep 09, 2011
Jarus sucking up to Oyb on the WWW, really Pathetic

Only Wikileak can tell us what Jarus really thinks of Oyb.

Life! I hate suck ups!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by SEFAGO(m): 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

grin grin grin

As I said 2:2 usually means you did nothing in school. the overwhelming majority of Nigerian graduates end up with a 2:2 you are not even bloody average you are below average. If I am running a top level firm why will I hedge my bets on a below average student?

You even has to add a masters to your degree to brush up your knowledge- a first class degree would not need to do that, most first class degree holders are much better than 2:2 grads with masters degrees.

oyb:

Yes, I said if I was running a company. Anything I touch is gonna be high-level anyways. However theoretically, if I was running a laundromat or a cyber cafe I would have no problems hiring 2:2 grads in "executive" positions. But if I am trying to start a competitive firm, I will not hire such class A fuckups except for menial jobs.

Its all a matter of managerial perspective.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
coolestboy:

Some 2-2 are better than first class not most
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 6:53pm On Sep 09, 2011
We are over stretching this issue without arriving at any convincing conclusion. We seem to base our judgement on individual biases and disposition.

The fact is, a good 2.2 grad if given the right condition and training can still perform and function at the level of the 1st class and 2.1 grads.

If i own a company, I wouldn't hesitate to employ any 2.2 grad who can prove himself. performance in a job goes beyond one's class of degree. The degree only goes to prove that you are trainable and disciplined.

Graduating with a 1st class or 2.1 does not suggest you have the right attitude to do the job well. Attitude means a lot at the workplace, unfortunately, these are neither taught nor learned in the Nigerian universities.

However, concluding that 2.2s are better than 1st class or 2.1 is rather myopic. A few evidence of where 2.2 grads have demostrated high levels of performance is not adequate to conclude that they are better.

For the records, experience has shown that majority of the 1st class and 2.1 grads perform up to expectation, albeit minor variations.

I would therefore say that, whatever grade one graduated with is not the end of the road. Continuous improvement and development is necessary in order to remain competitive and relevant.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 09, 2011
dayokanu:

Some 2-2 are better than first class not most

consoling yourselves aye? grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 8:05pm On Sep 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

As I said 2:2 usually means you did nothing in school. the overwhelming majority of Nigerian graduates end up with a 2:2 you are not even bloody average you are below average. If I am running a top level firm why will I hedge my bets on a below average student?

You even has to add a masters to your degree to brush up your knowledge- a first class degree would not need to do that, most first class degree holders are much better than 2:2 grads with masters degrees.

Yes, I said if I was running a  company. Anything I touch is gonna be high-level anyways. However theoretically, if I was running a laundromat or a cyber cafe I would have no problems hiring 2:2 grads in "executive" positions. But if I am trying to start a competitive firm, I will not hire such class A fuckups except for menial jobs.

Its all a matter of managerial perspective.

Managerial perspective indeed.
You sound more like a student with each post. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) / Funny Pics Of How Some Management Treat Their Employees / Engineers: Improving Engineering (today's Government) with job opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.