Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? (992 Views)

172 Nigerians Deported From Libya / Charles, A Christian From Nigeria Beaten, Abducted By Armed Gangs In Libya / Across the sahara on foot to Europe via Libya ( Paperback ) ISBN # 9781478329206 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? by 27naira(m): 6:41pm On Sep 07, 2011
The current arms proliferation in Libya has given a lot of Institutions cause for worry. In the current conflict, arms storage depots have been left unsecured, arms and weapons such as “man-portable air defense systems” (MANPADS) have been looted, and the Libyan countryside is “littered with abandoned munitions, unexploded ordnance and land mines.
The fall of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has touched off a race to secure his arsenal of portable, terror-ready weapons such as shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles, and part of the solution may be for the United States and its allies to go out and buy them. There is evidence that a few Soviet-made SA-7 antiaircraft missiles from Gadhafi's arsenal have reached the black market in Mali, where al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb is active, said two U.S. government officials not authorized to speak on the record.
Now, the question is, given the fact that weapons and arms black market is very active in Niger which shares a porous border with Nigeria, what is security implication of this dreadful situation? What is our Government doing to secure our borders?
I think this should be a source of worry for every Nigerians and the states that share border with Niger.
Re: Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? by 27naira(m): 6:58pm On Sep 07, 2011
Moderator Abeg move this to politics. Sorry
Re: Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? by Vicjustice: 7:08pm On Sep 07, 2011
27naira:

Moderator Abeg move this to politics. Sorry
   I disagree with you, this is not just about politics, but about cross-border travel and other countries,
Re: Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? by Vicjustice: 7:09pm On Sep 07, 2011
27naira:

The current arms proliferation in Libya has given a lot of Institutions cause for worry. In the current conflict,  arms storage depots have been left unsecured, arms and weapons such as “man-portable air defense systems” (MANPADS) have been looted, and the Libyan countryside is “littered with abandoned munitions, unexploded ordnance and land mines.
The fall of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has touched off a race to secure his arsenal of portable, terror-ready weapons such as shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles, and part of the solution may be for the United States and its allies to go out and buy them. There is evidence that a few Soviet-made SA-7 antiaircraft missiles from Gadhafi's arsenal have reached the black market in Mali, where al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb is active, said two U.S. government officials not authorized to speak on the record.
Now, the question is, given the fact that weapons and arms black market is very active in Niger which shares a porous border with Nigeria, what is security implication of this dreadful situation? What is our Government doing to secure our borders?
I think this should be a source of worry for every Nigerians and the states that share border with Niger.

Man, i honestly share your views. This also make me wonder how safe commercial aircrafts are when flying over Libya? These people are wicked enough to shoot down airplanes filled with innocent passengers who happen to be on-board a plane from a hated country.
Re: Arms Proliferation In Libya, A Risk To Nigeria? by 27naira(m): 8:07pm On Sep 07, 2011
Its a very critical issue, given the fact that Nigerien were accused of fighting as mercineries in Lybia. Definitely, Ghadaffi must have allowed access to his arsenals to these elements. Now, envisage a situation where these elements run these weapons in black markets across Nigeria-Niger border. It is common sense, to assume that the Boko haram elements might want to create a weapon supply channel via Niger.
Honestly, Nigeria have to strengthen border control.

(1) (Reply)

I Have Submitted My Trv Applicatin Since. / Help. Ooo / Requirement For Settlement Visa Uk...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.