Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! (2407 Views)

... / Why Do Men And Women In Diaspora Come To Naija To Marry / Nigerian Parents in the Diaspora you need to do more (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:49pm On Mar 01, 2006
How do you tell your your cousins back home, politely, that you not part of the "millionair boys club"?
I stresss the word politely,

Everytime i get a phone call or an email from one of my cousin bros you can be almost assured that they are asking for "dollars"
AS if i manufacture the money for Canada Mint or something?

Can someone please help me as to not offend any of them because it is really getting both annoying and old, The thing is I believe that me as a student if i start sending money to now they may become dependent on me, and that is a very bad thing for me and more for them.

Please does anyone have suggestions, comments? Anybody? Somebody?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Rhodalyn(f): 3:52pm On Mar 01, 2006
is always like that they always think ''as long as he's abroad he's got loadz of cash''
dont send them any money and more especially when you're a student
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:00pm On Mar 01, 2006
True True, but i dont know how to voice this message to them?
I will come off as looking like i dont want to help their situation, which for a minority is genuine. (Most of them are big mens son's so i don't get that one)

But yah how do i voice it out?
Just be blunt or what?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Rhodalyn(f): 4:20pm On Mar 01, 2006
when they ask you just dont give any definite answer and ignore it
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Onyibaby(f): 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2006
JosBoy you just have to tell them the truth about your situation i.e being a student.cos most of the time we don't let them know what is really going on here . So just be upfront about it nad hopefully they will understand.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by vichel(m): 8:39pm On Mar 01, 2006
Telling them the truth is the right thing to do, Having to go to school and have a job at the same time is no easy thing, it's very hard, and when u get ur pay check, it goes to ur school fees and other stuff. Let them understand that it's not all rosy
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Free(f): 8:43pm On Mar 01, 2006
its very funny how the ppl back home
think when you are abroad you got all money in the world
but really they dont know how it is-----so my advice to you is tell them how
it really is ,
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by LoverBwoy(m): 9:34pm On Mar 01, 2006
Rhodalyn:

is always like that they always think ''as long as he's abroad he's got loadz of cash''
don't send them any money and more especially when you're a student

wow how do u feel sayin that @ Rhodalyn ??

Josboy4lyf, I'll suggest u keep telling them all the things u need to buy, the rent u need to pay,the amount of taxes u've got to pay u should actually calculate it for them so it remains a lil left , u just need to keep explainin it to them and tell them they are puttin pressure on you to follow those credit card people which can lead to to jail!

The people u know personally who are more likely to need the more, i think u can help them once in a while but explain to them what it takes,

my friend always feel comfortable telling them "dont worry i will send u something" 4 a whole year without deliveryin lol if ur comfortable doing that then do
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by chinani(f): 12:39am On Mar 02, 2006
i also think you should tell them the truth. also, ask them what they need it for and politely say "that is not/can not be high on my priorities right now b/c of _____" or "a new ____! you're father should be pleased. have you asked him about the funds?". be explicit in your denial, b/c people HATE TO BE LED ON. it makes them feel/think that YOU ARE A LIAR and since you're not trying to be, you don't want any confusion.

if you come off as blunt, then write a letter to soften the blow. letters are always an indication that someone spent time thinking about you, etc. (i heart letters!!)

you said the men are the sons of "big men". hmmmm, sounds suspicious. if need be make a mental or actual list of people who REALLY NEED help. we all have SO MANY relatives and it's important to be selective. some people (seem to have) NO ONE who cares for them and others may just think you have deep pockets. in your case, maybe the only family member who really needs help is a person who never asks/complains (a woman, perhaps?).

whatever you do, remember -----> "blood is thicker than water"
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:51am On Mar 02, 2006
@ Chinani
I liked what you had to say, the ones actually need my help are those who do not ask. My cousins that are asking me most of them when i went to nigeria were in good financial sitiuations. I think i will have to just tell them the truth. Its hard but that is just how it has to be. I would have love to start some kind of funds for my less privaleged cousins but then who can i trust with such moneys in Nigeria. O my Nigeria cry cry cry
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by AbujaBoy(m): 3:13am On Mar 02, 2006
People will forever refuse to accept the simple things that we live with, I was born and raised in England now that I'm in Nigeria indefinitley I understand both you and the person begging for cash. You see with the economic laxity of Nigeria, people tend to believe that as long as they're in a country which is favourable, that you'd have some sort of income to _hand_ out, When people used to ask for cash from me (I'm 18 now, do the math) I used to say, I work part time, and I'm a student, I don't work for you, get a job and earn your own living. People that tend to beg, tend to come back and beg for more. Don't give anyone money unless you're really willing to. I'm not trying to be mean, but the message just wouldn't get across unless you let 'em know. -shrug-, Such is life.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by chinani(f): 4:17am On Mar 02, 2006
@ JosBoy

i feel you. even some relatives will "misapporiate funds" you set aside for others. embarassed maybe you can have an account in canada & whenever the appropriate relation asks you can wire some cash to them. i know, i know, it's A LOT OF WORK. and you have a life to live to.

my mother sometimes says "what would this life be if everything was easy?". but, if your heart is in the right place, that's a GREAT start.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Rhodalyn(f): 1:02pm On Mar 02, 2006
LoverBwoy:

wow how do u feel sayin that @ Rhodalyn ??

how do i feel saying what? that? there's nothing to feel saying that is there?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by wormedup(m): 1:25pm On Mar 02, 2006
all u have to do is be true to urself. if u can spare a dollar in a week, do it. keep it somewhere it'll definitely get to something. afterall, u still go clubbing, have a drink and surprisingly the dough shows up for all that grin cheesy . just kidding.
just be true to urself, that's all.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by kimba(m): 10:45am On Mar 03, 2006
Ive never had any problem telling people I do not have what I know I do not have, neither have I had any problem telling people I cannot afford to spare what I know I need.

So just tell them, "O Boy, things no dey easy here o, abeg, just bear with me"
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Hunter(m): 12:37pm On Mar 03, 2006
Just explain to them about buying power, and what your money gets you in canada.

eg.
A meal in Canada might cost $10
In nigeria it might cost a fifth of that (or less)

That way you seem a little less rude, than flat out saying no.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Akolawole(m): 3:58pm On Mar 03, 2006
They will never understand and most of them are not doing badly at all.

Change your contacts( E-mail addy, phone number et la).

No matter what you do, they will never appreciate
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by chinani(f): 11:04pm On Mar 03, 2006
Akolawole:

They will never understand and most of them are not doing badly at all.

Change your contacts( E-mail addy, phone number et la).

No matter what you do, they will never appreciate

WOW! you've had some bad experiences. sorry. that hasnt been my experience though. some ppl will always respond to reason.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by oasis: 9:30pm On Mar 08, 2006
The one I get most often is to visit home. This coming from the same people who want you to sponsor their kids in school, and send them regular stipend.

I agree with comments already made that someone abroad is viewed as a goldmine, and of course, goldmines bring out the gold diggers.

I always tell them I have many people on my assistance roaster, and that my financial resources are finite. You console them by promising to keep them in mind. We all know that's not what they want to hear, but if you're not bold with them, you'd find yourself working your butt off for them to enjoy. I know of a case where somebody I was sponsoring in the University, was able to afford 2 GSM lines. The rules of the game changed after that revelation.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Coretalk(m): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2010
As mentioned by some above, reason with them. Tell them the truth about your condition
Also, never ever give someone exactly how much they demanded. (i have learnt the hard way).

if they ask for 10.00, give them 6.00. explain to them that it is hard and that's what you can afford.

Believe that person is less likely to run back to you again
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Ikedonn(m): 12:27pm On Oct 26, 2010
@ poster
In my own case,i put my old phone no in my old phone and put the new sim card i bought in my new phone.So my old line and old phone is always switched off.I am the one that calls them if i have anything to discuss with them.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by English1(f): 6:52pm On Oct 30, 2010
Next time they ring, say 'I'm so glad you called. It's so hard being a student here, I can't find my rent money, can you send me some money please?'

Keep doing that and they'll stop asking grin
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by room702(m): 4:28pm On Oct 31, 2010
@ poster

i understand where you are coming from because i was in thesame situation. in my case i try to expalin to them nicely but they did not understand. i had to be harsh to them and say no! for them to ease off a bit.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Abuja1(m): 5:17am On Oct 15, 2012
room702: @ poster

i understand where you are coming from because i was in thesame situation. in my case i try to expalin to them nicely but they did not understand. i had to be harsh to them and say no! for them to ease off a bit.

remember when you start to slave yourself for them and later stop they will forget the onece you did before so be wise like the serpent but gentle like the dove.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by tonym1(m): 12:24pm On Oct 26, 2012
IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT PEOPLE THINK YOU GROW MONEY WHEN YOU LIVE ABROAD, AS SOMEONE RIGHTLY SAID IGNORE THEM
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by tpia5: 1:59am On Oct 27, 2012
Also refuse your booty calls' requests for blackberry and brazilian extensions plz.

Tell them to look for cheaper phones and cheaper ways of fixing hair.

Nigeria is supposed to be a third world country- why does everyone have all these expensive items when the majority are supposed to be poor.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora: Please Im Not Rich! by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 27, 2012
if they ae grown men they can go get their own jobs

(1) (Reply)

Breast Feeding In The Presence Of Strangers, Is It Appropriate? / Physicians And Married In The House, Is MouthAction Really Healthy And Adviseable? / Is It Right To Impregnant A Lady Before Marrying Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.