Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding (30165 Views)

An Open Letter To Parents On The Future Of Their Children, on Tech and Coding / What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! / Differences Between High & Low Level Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2011
So in essence, the difference between programming and coding is like communicating and speaking.
wink

Very *******less argument IMO

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 13, 2011
program is a complied code that can be run
code is the text you write to produce the program

Programming is the act of writing the codes that make up the program
coding is same as programming

the difference is the noun version of both, i.e code and program
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by milanseedorf(m): 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2011
programming is the act of using codes to solve a problem. so the are two sides of the same coin
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by GoodMuyis(m): 4:32pm On Oct 14, 2011
The Question very easy to answer but technical in approach

Programming is :
cycober:

i am not sure, but the first thing that comes to mind is, programming is the process of developing the whole system i.e methodology, paradigm, and system architecture.

While Coding is:
The Procedures/instruction writing; to develop your (Friendly or Unfriendly) User Interface.

In my Opinion using both interchangeably is wrong because Programming covers
*Design stage
*Coding
*Testing/Implementation/ Redesign( if needed)
*tongue make your $$$$$ wink

Therefore Coding is still subset of Programming [size=15pt]IMOO[/size]
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 14, 2011
Programming does not cover design stage, that's a process of software engineering or development.

You have object oriented programming, object oriented design et al

Programming and coding can be used interchangeably, this argument no dey end?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by GoodMuyis(m): 5:32pm On Oct 15, 2011
musKeeto:

Programming does not cover design stage, that's a process of software engineering or development.
You have object oriented programming, object oriented design et al
Programming and coding can be used interchangeably,  this argument no dey end?

Pls If you said the above, Wikipedia said the below in contrast to what you said in Bold

"en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming":

Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding) is the process of designing, writing, testing, debugging, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. This source code is written in one or more programming languages. The purpose of programming is to create a program that performs specific operations or exhibits a certain desired behavior. The process of writing source code often requires expertise in many different subjects, including knowledge of the application domain, specialized algorithms and formal logic.

Now from what Wikipedia said it can be said that writing and maintaining the source code Means Coding where Programming is is more complex that coding ie designing, writing, testing, debugging, and maintaining
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 3:47am On Oct 16, 2011
And your wikipedia
Software development (also known as application development, software design, designing software, software application development, enterprise application development, or platform development[1]) is the development of a software product. The term "software development" may be used to refer to the activity of computer programming, which is the process of writing and maintaining the source code, but in a broader sense of the term it includes all that is involved between the conception of the desired software through to the final manifestation of the software, ideally in a planned and structured process.[2] Therefore, software development may include research, new development, prototyping, modification, reuse, re-engineering, maintenance, or any other activities that result in software products.[3]

Software Engineering (SE) is the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software, and the study of these approaches; that is, the application of engineering to software.[1] It is the application of Engineering to software because it integrates significant mathematics, computer science and practices whose origins are in Engineering.[2] It is also defined as a systematic approach to the analysis, design, assessment, implementation, test, maintenance and reengineering of software, that is, the application of engineering to software.[3] The term software engineering first appeared in the 1968 NATO Software Engineering Conference, and was meant to provoke thought regarding the perceived "software crisis" at the time.[4][5]
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by ekubear1: 9:35am On Oct 16, 2011
No difference? Don't they mean the same thing?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by GoodMuyis(m): 1:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
musKeeto:

And your wikipedia
Software development (also known as application development, software design, designing software, software application development, enterprise application development, or platform development[1]) is the development of a software product. The term "software development" may be used to refer to the activity of computer programming, ,

So @Muskeeto what is that saying about the Differences Between Programming And Coding
And try to lay emphasis on the Relevant text when you are doing Copy/Paste like Bold Italic etc

although you said about Software development/Engineering is correct, but this statement below in not correct due ti the inclusion of "does not":

musKeeto:

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by olerone: 9:22pm On Oct 17, 2011
Programming (if it is a standard software) will most likely including coding.
Coding-is a block or blocks of programming statements meant to solve a task
coding can be written in procedures most times

Programming if it is a simple software might not include any line of statement,i:e any code

Programming is the science of predifining an action(s) meant to solve computer,phone etc related problems.

Programming literally means to determine before hand what will take place once some actions happens/some conditions are met.

i hope this helped
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by NET1(m): 7:14pm On Oct 22, 2011
technically, is there any difference? I'm just wondering.

.NET
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Bossman(m): 9:31pm On Oct 22, 2011
As I already mentioned, in other programming/development forums, this can never be a topic of discussion. And if at all it comes up, it will be considered a mute point to even discuss it. Since it is known, at least on this end, that they are basically the same thing.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by xpmode(m): 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2011
Wrong! to say Programing and coding id the Same
They are not the same thing, if you say they, its just as if you are saying Car and Wheels are the same despite the fact that Car is been driven on Wheels. without wheels other cars Part are useless though, the some goes to Programming, because its been driven by Coding.

Coding is Just the Wheels that Drove Programming Work, Imagine after Designing your program well you still have to brain storm when Coding, both are under programming!
Let the smart-guys get what the difference is

GoodMuyis:

Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding) is the process of designing, writing, testing, debugging, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. This source code is written in one or more programming languages. The purpose of programming is to create a program that performs specific operations or exhibits a certain desired behavior. The process of writing source code often requires expertise in many different subjects, including knowledge of the application domain, specialized algorithms and formal logic.

Am sure this Wiki Guy is making Sense here
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 12:21am On Oct 29, 2011
Code - coding ati Program - Programming.

Egba mi o! Na how them take be the same thing?

Na break i go brrreak person head for here o.

Haba, you guys wonn scattter my head ni?

Abi all of una dey maaadtt NI grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by pinnochio(m): 11:57am On Oct 21, 2013
Programming is a subset of coding..... EOD

wink
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by LoveDecay(m): 6:28am On Oct 24, 2013
Like the man said in IT - its used interchangeably.

You can say code in HTML, but you can't programme in HTML

It's mere geek speak !
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by pumpindkay(m): 9:59pm On Oct 27, 2013
Programming != coding;
program is a set{.,.,.,} of instructions{code, code, code,} given to a computer to perform a specific task.
Program == Universal set;
code == element of the Uni set
Now which of these is correct.
In an examination u are told to design an application to compute cgpa.
1. Write a program to calculate cgpa?
2. Write a code to calculate cgpa.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by bebbers: 8:39am On Aug 02, 2014
I wrote a couple of articles about the difference between computer programming and coding, as below:

http://yearofcodes.tumblr.com/what-is-coding
http://yearofcodes.tumblr.com/what-is-programming

Regards,

Shaun.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by quadrangle: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2014
Programming is the process of planning a sequence of steps for a computer to follow. While coding is the writing of those sequence of steps in a programming language. The two concepts are different from each other and it is wrong to use the two interchangeably.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by asalimpo(m): 11:36am On Aug 03, 2014
No need to sweat it.
I coded it in (java,php,c++,python etc)
I programmed it in (java,php,python,c++ etc)
can u code java?
He's competg @ topcoder..

It's an interchangeable them?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by youngprogrammer(m): 6:37am On Sep 08, 2015
hmmm some good ideas i like it,who want to learn programing and cctv'should concact me, am a real time programmer!!!!#
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Olumyco(m): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
A simple approach
Do u say u code in HTML or CSS or XAML or XML of FXML or u program.
U program in programming lang.
while u can say u code a ui with HTML
Codes make up both programming lang and UI lang. But programming always go with functionality while UI lang goes with structure
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by thewebcraft(m): 10:24am On Sep 09, 2015
I hate it when developers argue about stupid, meaningful topics like this when we can talk about something serious...
"What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding"
mtcheeeeww....
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by lekky11: 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2015
HELLO GUYS AFTER CAREFULLY REVIWING YOUR QUESTION VISIT SAMWORLD.NET
IT IS A WEBSITE WITH THE AIM TO ENCOURAGE AND DEVELOP PPROGRAMMING SKILLS IN AFRICA
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by FincoApps(m): 9:41pm On Sep 09, 2015
Did you mean stupid, meaningless and useless ? That's what I think you meant and yea I agree with you
thewebcraft:
I hate it when developers argue about stupid, meaningful topics like this when we can talk about something serious... mtcheeeeww....
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by FincoApps(m): 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2015
He's not talking about a program which is just like a noun here. He said programmING which is an action. I wonder why you and others are talking about Programs aka Software

lojik:
You can write a line of code but you cant write a line of program.
You may have to code for weeks and compile before you come up with a program.

In a program, there are several lines of sql codes and vb.net codes.

I can write a code here:

xyz = document.getElementById('abc').innerHTML;

but i cant write a program here.
I can develop a program by writing several lines of codes. The end user sees and uses the program but cannot see the codes.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 09, 2015
Programming is the use of codes or syntax's from various different programing languages to solve problems
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by FincoApps(m): 9:48pm On Sep 09, 2015
dhtml18, how can I contact you ? Sent you an unanswered mail since
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by youngfellow: 11:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
all these are long storys. In laymans language, programming is the name while coding is the game.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nmeri17: 10:32pm On Nov 19, 2015
dhtml1:
hoi!! grin
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 20, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Want To Start A Mobile Social Network Like 2go / How To Make Circular Imageview And Rounded Corner Imageview In Android / 24 Year Old Nigerian Builds A Functional And Intelligent Robot In Sri Lanka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.