Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Recipe For "agoyin Stew" - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe For "agoyin Stew" (10383 Views)

Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / Ewa Agoyin And Agege Bread: The Fading Delicacy Of Lagosians / Ewa Agoyin Lovers (how To prepare It) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by idiat(f): 10:13am On Aug 29, 2007
does anyone have the recipe for agoyin stew? ,please let us have it.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by dominique(f): 4:30pm On Aug 30, 2007
first, you heat palmoil with choped onions till it bleaches ( not recommended for asthmatics), then add ground dry pepper and allow it fry for a while, add some water and viola! its ready.
its not as easy as it seems. i tried it once and didnt get the right result. it got badly burnt but that i'm sure i'll get it next time i try.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 31, 2007
dominique:

first, you heat palmoil with choped onions till it bleaches ( not recommended for asthmatics), then add ground dry pepper and allow it fry for a while, add some water and viola! its ready.
its not as easy as it seems. i tried it once and didnt get the right result. it got badly burnt but that i'm sure i'll get it next time i try.

Nice one there and Kudos. I hope to try this out soon, But i think there's a special kind of ground dry pepper that they use for the stew and not our local one  ,  Most sellers of this ewa agoyin are not Nigerians but from Cotonou, i guess the pepper is from there too.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Gamba(f): 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2007
hmmm, i love agoyin beans and the stew though its bin a while dat i tried it.
@ olowo tee, u sure got it because dats exactly how i make mine.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2007
hello Gamba, your name sounds as though your from Gambia/Cotonou undecided grin

I'll try and get the name of the pepper from a nearby source this weekend cheesy wink cheesy Or there any Cotonou fellow in the House
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Gamba(f): 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2007
Coto- what? angry i'm from naija home sweet home grin
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2007
Coto nothing!! wink! Proud to be a Nigeria 2, i was only wondering o,
Nigeria- Home sweet Home i feel you!

But as far as ewa agoyin is concern we need the help of a cotonou ese lipsrsealed in the house.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 04, 2007
I was able to get this name: "ata ijosi" sounds yoruba though grin.This you can get from any of the markets preferrably "Mile 2" market in Lagos. Or better still, i learnt that you can use pepper seeds, you request for this also in the market from the hausas that sell pepper. thereafter you soak for some hours and blend before the dry frying.

I hope this helps.

As soon as i get any other inform, i'll let you know.

All the Best. www.gkcfoundation..com
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by aishaah(f): 8:00pm On Sep 09, 2009
@olowo tee,u r right,the dry peepper seed can also be used and the result is fantanstic,dnt forget enough palm oil and onions,bon appetite.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Fhemmmy: 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2009
i will love to know how they make their beans and the stew all together.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by misslnq: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2009
I just learnt this myself. SO I'm going to give you what I was told. I hope this helps.
Step 1- Cook the bean until it is very very very soft.
For the Agoyin part,
You will need, Red bell pappers, Lot of Onions and Maggi or any seasons you want
Step2- chop 1 whole miduim size onionred
Step 3- Blend the red bell peepers and onions together (not too smooth, just enough for stew)
Step 4- On the pot, pour the palm oil and lt let if fry for a while, then add the chopped onins.
Step5- Let the chopped onins almost burn, then add step 3 to it
Step 6- Add your seasons to taste and cook until it is done.
I hope this helps.
Re: Recipe For "agoyin Stew" by Hadrotes: 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2010
I make agoyin stew regularly, I hope dis is not cmn late.

Ingredient.
1.Dry red bell pepper (Tatashe gbigbe)
2.Pepper seed
3.Dry chilli Pepper ( Shombo/Ata gbigbe)
4.Onions
5.Palm Oil
6.Maggi cubes

soak 1,2,3, but more of the seed till soft (it cud be overnite)
Add enough Onions And grind it smooth, tell whoever is grinding it not to put much water.
Boil the mixture till dry
Put enough palm in a pot and warm not bleach, pour sliced onions make it fry a bit, then add the dry boiled pepper, use the back of spoon to spread and stir occasionally. Add ur maggi & salt to taste. keep stiring till it's dry and brown
Note: dont wait till it's dark brown b4 u turn off gas/stove, else it will turn black & bitter wen it's cold.

Beans
preferably use honey beans & boil in pressure pot, wen its very soft, add little salt to taste and use turning stick to turn & mix well

Enjoy

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Is Nigeria's National Drink? / Drink Coconut Juice On An Empty Stomach, Early In The Morning / This Is How To Prepare Chapman Drink

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.