Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire (3399 Views)

Buhari Appoints Orelope-Adefulire SSA On Sdgs / Twitter Meter Analysis: PDP, 1.87% National Penetration And APC, 16.18%(PICS) / Tunji Bello To Succeed Adefulire As Lagos Deputy Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by ektbear: 9:21pm On Sep 09, 2011
| Print | E-mail
Friday, 09 September 2011
Lagos State deputy governor, Mrs Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, has disclosed that the literacy level in Lagos State has reached 87 per cent if compared on state by state basis, adding that the effort of the present administration in improving the standard of education is yielding the desired results.

Mrs Adefulire, who was speaking at an event marking the 2011 World Literacy Day celebration organised by the Lagos State government in partnership with the United Nations Children Education Fund (UNICEF) and Ecole de Desssin in Lagos, said in the past years, the Lagos State government had been introducing policies and programmes towards the development of the education sector to combat illiteracy, ignorance and poverty among its citizens.

She noted that the improvement recorded in the education sector was commendable and traceable to these initiatives, one of which was the EKO Project, which she said the government would continue to pursue for the benefits of the future leaders.

“Currently, we have about 87.8 per cent literacy level. That is not to say that we are satisfied. We are not relaxing at all as we are committed to achieving a 100 per cent literacy rate and as a key aspect of our 10-point agenda, we would continue to place education of our children as a priority which will include the implementation of the Child Rights Law that emphasises “right to education of every child,” Adefulire added.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/27983-literacy-level-in-lagos-now-87-adefulire
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by ektbear: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
Articles like this. . . bleh

What was the literacy rate 4 years or 8 years ago? What is the national/zonal average? Etc, etc.

Just throwing out the number by itself isn't that useful
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by jason123: 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2011
[size=14pt]Lagos to unveil new education policy soon – Fashola[/size]

Ikeja – `The Lagos State Government will soon unveil a new policy framework for the education sector, from nursery to tertiary levels, Gov. Babatunde Fashola, has said.

Fashola disclosed this while receiving the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company, Mr Chike Onyejekwe, in his office on Thursday in Ikeja.

He said that the new policy framework would address some of the challenges facing the education sector in the state with a view to repositioning it and making it more functional.

Fashola said that part of the unfolding policy was the ongoing transformational intervention at the Lagos State University (LASU).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the state government had recently banned satellite campuses and part-time studies at LASU.

The ban, according to the Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, Mr Fatai Olukoga, is to reposition the university and make it one of the best in the country.

Fashola said the government would do everything possible to make the state education system more functional and a model for other states.

“We are poised to reposition LASU to make it an enviable centre of academic excellence and human capital development.

“Our plans for LASU and indeed all the sectors of the education system, which are being discussed by the executive council, would be contained in a new policy on education that would be released in a matter of weeks,” `Fashola said.

The governor said the state welcomed partnership with corporate organisations and other well-meaning individuals in the area of educational development.

Earlier, Onyejekwe said Shell would continue to support educational development in the state, adding that the oil company planned to support infrastructural development at LASU. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/lagos-to-unveil-new-education-policy-soon-fashola/
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Afam4eva(m): 10:38pm On Sep 09, 2011
Haha, I laugh in Okun dialect. I think the FG should pass a law that sends liars to jail. If the literacy rate in lagos 89% like this guy wants us to believe, then it means Lagos is even ahead of the most literate state in America(Washington). Which way Nigeria. Enough of these preposterous lies.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Sep 09, 2011
OK!! So how do we verify this claim? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by 2mch(m): 10:52pm On Sep 09, 2011
Education has been free in Lagos for a while now. This is why a lot of people from all over the country moved to Lagos to get free education for their children. I dont doubt it because Nigerian's will not have this kind of opportunity and not use it. I even know a lot of Yoruba's in Cotonou that send their kids to stay with relatives as helps so that these children can get the free education in exchange.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Ikengawo: 12:39am On Sep 10, 2011
Haha, I laugh in Okun dialect. I think the FG should pass a law that sends liars to jail. If the literacy rate in lagos 89% like this guy wants us to believe, then it means Lagos is even ahead of the most literate state in America(Washington). Which way Nigeria. Enough of these preposterous lies.

you'd be the first to be arrested.

most us states are in the 95% and what's unbelieveable about lagos having higher literacy then an american state? the US isn't known for it's literacy
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by htajz: 1:33am On Sep 10, 2011
2mch:

Education has been free in Lagos for a while now. This is why a lot of people from all over the country moved to Lagos to get free education for their children. I dont doubt it because Nigerian's will not have this kind of opportunity and not use it. I even know a lot of Yoruba's in Cotonou that send their kids to stay with relatives as helps so that these children can get the free education in exchange.

this is my problem with you people and lies , what the bleep do you mean by nigerians send their children to lagos to skool .when will you people stop all these lies nawa ,the money you spend on expensive transports alone in lagos can get your child into a good private primary and sec school with free bus service in bayelsa. dont forget lagos ,abuja and ph have the most expensive schools in nigeria.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by 2mch(m): 1:36am On Sep 10, 2011
htajz:

this is my problem with you people and lies , what the bleep do you mean by nigerians send their children to lagos to skool .when will you people stop all these lies nawa

And when will you stop saying things you dont know? Ths is coming from someone hiding in the creeks. You people should stop saying things you dont know. I am in Lagos, you are not. So cockroach, run away. *swat!*
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by htajz: 1:42am On Sep 10, 2011
2mch:

And when will you stop saying things you dont know? Ths is coming from someone hiding in the creeks. You people should stop saying things you dont know. I am in Lagos, you are not. So cockroach, run away. *swat!*
you spill out lies yet our lagging behind the rest of the southern regions in education , keep deceiving yourself if that makes you feel good , bush cockroach.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by obowunmi(m): 1:54am On Sep 10, 2011
@ OP: Interesting article. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 10, 2011
htajz:

you spill out lies yet our lagging behind the rest of the southern regions in education , keep deceiving yourself if that makes you feel good , bush cockroach.
Hold up! You are trying to say the SW is behind in Education compared to other Southern Region You are a big LIAR if that's what you are saying. On the Contrary, the SW is the most educated region in all of Nigeria, not that it matters!
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Beaf: 1:57am On Sep 10, 2011
My mouth dropped when I saw 87%, because other stats from previous years put it at above 90%.
It might depend on the ministers definition of literacy, though.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by cold(m): 2:00am On Sep 10, 2011
Well while we are still on the issue of education,you might find this article interesting;

[b]
There are more than 18 million students in Nigerian schools at all levels. That is more than the total human population of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania and the school population of France, Britain and Spain.

The country adopted a 6-3-3-4 educational policy in 1982. The policy requires six years primary education, a two-tier (3-year junior, 3-year senior) secondary education and four years of University education. There are 31 universities in Nigeria today.

Apart from fully funding primary education all around the country, the government also runs secondary schools, and funds technical colleges, polytechnics and universities in all 30 states of Nigeria. In addition, there are hundreds of privately-owned schools duly approved by government for the benefit of those who prefer to send their children to private schools.

While literacy rate stands at about 50 per cent, one of the highest in Africa, the goal of Nigeria is to eradicate illiteracy in the shortest time possible.
[/b]

http://www.nigeriatoday.com/basic_facts_about_nigeria.htm
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Beaf: 2:01am On Sep 10, 2011
engineerd:

Hold up! You are trying to say the SW is behind in Education compared to other Southern Region You are a big LIAR if that's what you are saying. On the Contrary, the SW is the most educated region in all of Nigeria, not that it matters!

That is not true, bruv.
Lagos has the highest literacy levels in Nigeria, but the SW as a whole comes behind the SE and SS.

. . .Please someone provide the stats, I don't have the strength.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by cold(m): 2:04am On Sep 10, 2011
Beaf:

My mouth dropped when I saw 87%, because other stats from previous years put it at above 90%.
It might depend on the ministers definition of literacy, though.
True,I remember this thread very well; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-562641.0.html
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by cold(m): 2:20am On Sep 10, 2011
This was the literacy level by states data from NBS as at 2009/2010

Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Yeske2(m): 2:21am On Sep 10, 2011
Beaf:

That is not true, bruv.
Lagos has the highest literacy levels in Nigeria, but the SW as a whole comes behind the SE and SS.

. . .Please someone provide the stats, I don't have the strength.
You're right, i think i saw something like that on another thread some time ago
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by htajz: 2:31am On Sep 10, 2011
cold:

True,I remember this thread very well; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-562641.0.html

thank you very much you see how these people keep lying they lie soo much they forget their previous lies unless they are trying to tell us that lagos droped from92 to 89 then fashola should be seriously questioned, SW comes last in the whole souther nigeria when it comes to literacy level
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by duke4ever: 8:27am On Sep 10, 2011
[b][/b]Any person that opens his stinking mouth 2 utter that SW has the highest literacy level must be dwelling in F's.P,
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Princek12(m): 2:13pm On Sep 10, 2011
is the statistic based on anecdotal evidence or a scientific poll?
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by Builder: 2:28pm On Sep 10, 2011
Quite funny, just last week i read that half of those that took the WAEC exams fail, later i will hear/read from our useless politicians that just 1% of our police force are corrupt
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by emmatok(m): 11:27pm On Sep 10, 2011
htajz:

I see, you Niger Delta's are making noise because your brother is now in ASO ROCK.

And when did SS people start going to school.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by emmatok(m): 11:32pm On Sep 10, 2011
htajz:

thank you very much you see how these people keep lying they lie soo much they forget their previous lies unless they are trying to tell us that lagos droped from92 to 89 then fashola should be seriously questioned, SW comes last in the whole souther nigeria when it comes to literacy level

Lol, your hatred a particular tribe won't allow you reason logically.

So the SW is behind the North, SS and SE in education.

Yet some of these regions( North, SS and SE) cannot boast of 1 medical doctor per local government.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by aljharem3: 11:32pm On Sep 10, 2011
emmatok:

I see, you Niger Delta's are making noise because your brother is now in  ASO ROCK.

And when did SS people start going to school.

if u think he is N delta then u can believe anything

he is south east also Nchara etc another bigot on this forum
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by member479760: 7:33am On Sep 11, 2011
the guy is 110% right! what is different b/t the 2 in Africa generally. our literacy is the ability to speak english and most lagosians can do so now. however, the graduates you guys considered to be literate are being classified to be burden to the society by our FG.
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by juman(m): 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2011
Literacy
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by juman(m): 3:40pm On Sep 11, 2011
Table A1.2: ADULT LITERACY RATE IN ANY LANGUAGE BY GEO POLITICAL ZONE
LITERACY IN ANY LANGUAGE
Geo Political Zone
                          Male  Female Both Sexes
North Central     70.4 52.8 61.9
North East         73.1 51.4 62.8
North West        79.4 60.2 70.1
South East         81.6 69.3 75.1
South South       82.3 68.2 75.4
South West        83.7 72.1 77.9
NATIONAL         79.3 63.7 71.6

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/latestRelease/de4f17834ea0c57a9e1f440d029aebaa460863d0.pdf

National Literacy Survey, 2010
Re: Literacy Level In Lagos Now 87% -adefulire by juman(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Records 11% Airline Passenger Growth — FAAN / Why Do You Think Lagos Is Called Lasgidi? / Photo: Pres. Buhari In Meeting With Boko Haram Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.