Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! (2961 Views)

Laptop Sellers Come In. (I Need Laptop) / Intent To Purchase A 14 Inch Laptop(sellers Submit Your Bid) / Laptop Sellers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by texazzpete(m): 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2007
All Laptop Sellers Here, Please Read!

I've noticed most of the laptop vendors here supply laptops with a focus only on the CPU speed and the Hard Disk drive specs. I'd like to say that many people nowadays are looking for laptops with decent GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit) or Graphics Card as it's more commonly known.

More and more people want to game on their laptops, and with the advent of cheap USB gamepads loads of my pals are really getting into PC games like Pro Evo Soccer. To run these games a decent dedicated GPU is required.

Apart from gaming, only laptops with decent GPUs can run Windows Vista with all the bells and whistles enabled. Even Video editing and 3d animation software need good graphics cards to run well.

It isnt too hard to find a laptop with a decent gfx card onboard. the two biggest players are Nvidia (makers of the Geforce brand) and ATI/AMD. Most laptops equipped with a dedicated GFX card have the logos on the laptop (Geforce or ATI)

All i'm asking is y'all need to state what kind of gfx (or lack thereof!) is in your machines so it completes the specs.

Thanks for reading this far. . .
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by mazia(m): 3:02pm On Aug 29, 2007
Good point Texazzpete, anybody who has that as a major factor for buying a laptop will inquire about it. The average user does not. that would explain its omission in the spec description.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by brume2020: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2007
Texazzpete,

I see what you mean. Those cards add a little extra cost to the laptops (perhaps $50 on the average I think) - which really isnt a problem. The customers who require it will certainly pay for it, And if running Vista could be a problem with less capable graphics, I would be looking to purchase laptops with more powerful GPU cards by default - going forward.

I'll check my posts and update if necessary to make the graphic capabilities more descriptive.

thanks,

brume
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by WebMonk(m): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2007
its about time people started taking GPU capabilities of systems/laptops seriously. I've been a craze man for GPUs over time and will freely post my 2cents:

Things to look out for in a GPU

- Brand (Very Important)
The brand almost says it all, because the 2 top producers of graphics cards are listed below:

NVIDIA: www.nvidia.com/
ATI: http://ati.amd.com/

Anything other these two on your system/laptop is a ripoff in quality and support (I've used both over 3 years)

- Specs:
VRAM (Video Ram) - Seperate from the CPU Ram, this usually comes in DDR3 format. The more RAM, the better. Look for nothing less than 128MB Dedicated

The rest mostly depend on the Brand you're looking for. I'll add more as soon as i have the time

WARNING! NEVER BUY A LAPTOP WITH AN "SIS" GRAPHICS CARD! NEVER EVER!
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by Maleeq(m): 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2007
The fact is that most(all I feel) laptops come with GPUs sufficient enough for everyday user's need. Unless you are serious gamer, I dont see the need in spending extra for GPU power you'd probably never utilize above 20% of its might!

Truth again is that most people spend a fortune on laptops with all the "bells and whistle" when all they do on it is word processing and a little media playing!

1 Like

Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by sojioguns(m): 6:23pm On Aug 29, 2007
Any buyer that has a specific use for his laptop will probably request for such cards. I for one will never buy a laptop with Intel graphics because I do video editing and animation. If you are an Avid editor, stay away from ATI cards, go with Nvidia. But otherwise ATI is good enough.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by toladop(m): 8:43pm On Aug 29, 2007
how do I know the GPU of my laptop.What is the minimum acceptable standard.I need more information about this thing u people are talking about.Is GPU for only laptop.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by apmis: 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2007
The truth is this, the more a buyer is aware, the better choice he can make. Alot of folks just buy something not minding if it meets what they intend it for. I believe that the onus is on the vendors to begin to educate their buyers so that the buyers can buy right. It was out of this that I wrote the free ebook " How to buy a laptop at a very good price" request at apmis28@gmail.com. it is free!
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by bimbliss(f): 9:49pm On Aug 29, 2007
thanks for the intelligent post.
it came to me at the right time
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by apmis: 11:11pm On Aug 29, 2007
bimbliss: what is/are your current needs. Why are you buying a system
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by texazzpete(m): 7:20am On Aug 30, 2007
Maleeq:

The fact is that most(all I feel) laptops come with GPUs sufficient enough for everyday user's need. Unless you are serious gamer, I don't see the need in spending extra for GPU power you'd probably never utilize above 20% of its might!

Truth again is that most people spend a fortune on laptops with all the "bells and whistle" when all they do on it is word processing and a little media playing!

That's where you're wrong. try playing Unreal Tournament 2004 ( a 2004 game) on an intel GMA powered laptop (the vast majority of 1yr + old laptops out there) and you'll see the horrors of slowdown.

Not only for serious gamers, a dedicated GPU massively improves video editing and encoding times.

Many more people do more than 'a little video editing and word processing' nowadays. Even computer illiterates get in on the hype. take a look at the guys in the 'PLay Playstation 2 on your PC' thread asking plaintively why their laptops/desktops can't run the emulators.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by Maleeq(m): 8:54am On Aug 30, 2007
texazzpete:

That's where you're wrong. try playing Unreal Tournament 2004 ( a 2004 game) [/b]on an intel GMA powered laptop (the vast majority of 1yr + old laptops out there) and you'll see the horrors of slowdown.

[b]Not only for serious gamers
, a dedicated GPU massively improves video editing and encoding times.

Many more people do more than 'a little video editing and word processing' nowadays. Even computer illiterates get in on the hype. take a look at the guys in the [b]'PLay Playstation 2 on your PC' [/b]thread asking plaintively why their laptops/desktops can't run the emulators.

You are only substantiating my point further: Gamers mostly are those that need the extra GPU power!
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:50am On Aug 31, 2007
AGP slot video cards are not the best anymore,
make sure you get a pci Express Video, I stress Express
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by oybv101: 9:22am On Aug 31, 2007
i've got a question-if you are buying a video card for a desktop, what slot will it go into. a friend is a bout to buy a card, and i want to be sure the card will be compatible with his hardware( am not that much on motherboard hardware)
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by sidnazious(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2007
ya your graphics card is very important.

intel graphics cards no matter the size are not very suitable for most games and applications, also they cannot compare with the same grade of ATI,Nvidia e.t.c graphics card.

so if getting a laptop or desktop check the GPU. my laptop has an intel 64Mb card and am not enjoying it at al, i plan to upgrade cos am agamer and in playing tight games like PRO6 i have to reduce enough details before i can enjoy it.

safe and make the right choice
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by zoraro(m): 9:07pm On Sep 01, 2007
@ oyb v1.01

There are three types of sockets for video cards, these are
1. PCI
2. AGP
3. PCI-express

They are totally not compatible with each other. so make sure of your friend's motherboard type b/4 buying one.

All motherboards have PCI slots, some (newer ones) may also have an AGP slot or (newest ones) a PCI-express slot, but not both at the same time.

To know how they look like just do a google search.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by Sasuke(m): 4:37pm On Sep 05, 2007
Yes, the GPU is very important. not only will it improve your systems graphic rendering power, it will also free up you system RAM because integrated graphics "borrow" part of the system RAM and that causes slowdown. so if you have 512 MB or RAM and you are using integrated graphics, the GPU soldered on your Board will be using part of your system RAM (64 or 128) so your effective system RAM is reduced.
But really,if you are a really serious hardcore gamer, you have no bussiness with gaming on your laptop. the physical constrictions on a laptop simply prevents it. no manufacturer can give maximum GPU power to a laptop without causing an explosion(heat). Laptop gaming is for people who play games released 3-6 years ago or people wh play FIFA or WE in short, casual gamers
I tried playing oblivion on my friends laptop once. (AMD turion 64 1.8GHz 2GB ram GeForce 6 series) I was disgusted at the framerates. even after tuning everthing down to low

I have a GeForce8800 GTX 768MB card coming soon. does anyone on this forum have that card or at least the 320 / 640 MB GTS version?

And Yes AVOID SIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by ogahsam1(m): 11:16am On Apr 07, 2012
Pls I bought a sys tem wit d intension of playin good games but found dt it has 64mb which is incapale, so isn't it possible 2 do sometin about it.my email is:samuelogah52@yahoo.com. Thanks verrrrrry mmmuch.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by beevalley: 11:49am On Apr 07, 2012
Nice post.

Always had that as the first on ma preference list of criteria wen buying a laptop.

In my opinion, neva buy a lappy with less than 1GB VRAM if you focus is gaming.

Good share.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by ogahsam1(m): 3:26pm On Apr 07, 2012
Pls could there b any solution 2 my 64mb VRAM?
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by BeforeNko: 4:11pm On Apr 07, 2012
If you are using a dedicated video card you can POSSIBLY replace with a upgraded card containing more Video RAM or VRAM.
Re: Laptop Sellers: The GPU Also Matters! by ChimPaul: 7:31am On Jun 12, 2022
Colourful

(1) (Reply)

FOR SALE - UK Used Nokia X6, Blackberry bold 2, Samsung Spica and Tmobile G1 / Super Machine! Super Computer!! Graphics Machine!!! Up To 32GB Ram / Lenovo Thinkpad,slim Corei5 @75k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.