Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1236986 members, 1646794 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 April 2014 at 10:04 PM

Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races - Ethnic/Racial Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic/Racial Politics / Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races (8611 Views)

Why Do Ibos Hate And Envy Yorubas So Much? / We The Itsekiris Are Yorubas - Ishekiri People / Why Do Other Tribes Steal From Hausa-foulanis? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by aloy/emeka: 12:43pm On Sep 12, 2011
tpia@:

and yes, yorubas in general tend to be more tolerant than most other tribes barring hausa.

however, the regular pogroms have placed the north at a bit of a disadvantage in this area.

What else do you need to prove that one is hostile?. You placed Yoruba as no 1 in acceptance and Hausa no 2. If only wishes were horse. The same Hausa who massacred the Igbos in 1940s?. Who told you the pogroms are recent occurrences?. The same Hausa/Fulani who massacred Yorubas in the 19th century?.

You still need to elaborate on how you managed to arrive on who accepts others more without statistics or taking public opinion. Simply because you are Yoruba and you feel accepted by your people doesn't mean an Ijaw or Ibibio will feel the same about your people and vice versa. It will be easy for a Bini, Esan, Ibibio, Igbo, Fulani etc person to make similar claims or have you heard ebiras/Esans/Ijaws/Ibibios/Igbos killing people from other ethnic groups who live in their land?. How is a Yoruba person not fully accepted in Igboland or Ijawland?. I can't remember any of these groups who discriminate when renting their properties to others. So what makes them less acceptable/more evil than Yorubas?
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by ak47mann(m): 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2011
the only reason Yoruba looks like they are accommodating is because they don't have the same liver like an ordinary Hausa man if not by now Lagos will be like jos.
and secondly Hausa have tried their faith many times and find out that they don't have liver they too fear look at abacha and abiola case for example MKO if he was igbo Nigeria go don brake into pieces  since 1998.But mallams they are very clever when it come to dealing with igbo s after war  cool
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by pinkrex(m): 12:56pm On Sep 12, 2011
afam4eva:

It's because of people like tpia that Nigeria may remain a cesspit till eternity. Instead of us to discuss more important national issues, we're busy displaying the kind of ignorance that has gannered Nigeria a reputation worldwide.

When you say Yorubas are more accommodating than others. What exactly do you mean. Are you citing Lagos alone as an example? Are you saying that non-yorubas in Lagos are accomodated while Yorubas in other places are been killed and harassed. Can you give us an example of an experience you've had in other parts of the country. That's if you've ever left Yorubaland. I don't thin i've ever come across any news where Yorubas are been harassed in other parts of the country. Infact the reverse is the case. Take for instance, how many Yorubas work in oil installations in PH, Warri and other oil producing areas. If those people were not accomodating, don't you think all hell would have been let loose? Pls let's throw this myopic views to the trash can and discuss more sssues. This thread is embarrassing to say the least.

Have you really made sense undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by NRI PRIEST(m): 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2011
@sundayademol,u called igbos thieves and said they are robbing yarriba ppl in their own land.can u expantiate on that because the last time I chekd 99% of the thieves burned alive in lagos island during the mobs move to wipe lagos island off of criminals were of yarriba origin! Oops, how shocking! Plz,do ur homework very well b4 u start showing ur everlasting ignorance in public.
Like I said earlier, I knw these ppl very well and I understand their language too but I never let them knw that because thats how u get to see the dirt in them, they will get angry at u if u live in lagos and dont understand their language! Very insecure ppl!
And one more thing, The easiest way to lay a yarriba chic is to speak their language, very easy,u dont have to say anything else.so long u are igbo and understand yarriba they will dump the nicest yarriba for ya, pitiful!
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:21pm On Sep 12, 2011
YES I WOULD SAY YORUBAS ARE THE MOST ACCOMMODIATING group why ?

it is this same ingrate igbos that school from ibadan to osun and yet they hate yorubas so much. I have never ever seen a group like igbos before. where they hate those that accommodiate them

Igbos just hate yoruba because of ENVY

it is unbelievable my ibo brothers . totally Unbelievable

I have come to the conculsion that those Ibo people in the north and west hate the indigenes there but ALWAYS pretend to love us

Look at the hate they spew out because of this topic

bunch of ingrates.

I wonder why Ibo people can not go back to the eastern village since they know yorubas are not accommodiating

I mean why would you wan to live in an area that is not accommodiating I WONDER undecided
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

@sundayademol,u called igbos thieves and said they are robbing yarriba ppl in their own land.can u expantiate on that because the last time I chekd 99% of the thieves burned alive in lagos island during the mobs move to wipe lagos island off of criminals were of yarriba origin! Oops, how shocking! Plz,do your homework very well b4 u start showing your everlasting ignorance in public.
Like I said earlier, I knw these ppl very well and I understand their language too but I never let them knw that because thats how u get to see the dirt in them, they will get angry at u if u live in lagos and dont understand their language! Very insecure ppl!
And one more thing, The easiest way to lay a yarriba chic is to speak their language, very easy,u dont have to say anything else.so long u are igbo and understand yarriba they will dump the nicest yarriba for ya, pitiful!

Tribalism by igbos in nollywood IN LAGOS A YORUBALAND

Rukayat Akinsanya, also known as Rukky Sanda, is gradually being ranked among the most promising acts in Nollywood. Rukky, who started acting in 2004, has accused practitioners in the industry of tribalism.

Though she is a native of Ikorodu in Lagos State, her versatility has earned her more recognition in the English movie industry than the Yoruba sector.

The Banking and Finance graduate of the Lagos State University, disclosed that she initially had a pleasant experience in the industry until when she suddenly realised that tribalism actually exists.

She said: “When I had my first audition, I got a role instantly. That was with Sunny Mac-Don, but what I have realised recently when I came fully into acting is that there is an issue of tribalism.

But I think this is uncalled for because I have been given roles several times and later rejected simply because I'm of the Yoruba stock. I think that is really wrong. People don't have to be rejected because of their tribes. This has really affected me,” she lamented.

NollywoodReel gathered that the humble and friendly Rukky has featured in over 14 movies since she joined the motion picture industry in 2004.

Some of the movies in which she has featured include Angel and The Beast, My Precious Son, Strength Of Love, Legal War, Desperate Girls, Weeping Tiger and Heaven's Gate.

http://www.modernghana.com/movie/1545/3/there-is-tribalism-in-nollywood-says-rukky-sanda.html

ARE THIS NOT IGBOS WHO CLAIM TO BE ACCOMMODIATIING
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:26pm On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

@sundayademol,u called igbos thieves and said they are robbing yarriba ppl in their own land.can u expantiate on that because the last time I chekd 99% of the thieves burned alive in lagos island during the mobs move to wipe lagos island off of  criminals were of yarriba origin! Oops, how shocking! Plz,do your homework very well b4 u start showing your everlasting ignorance in public.
Like I said earlier, I knw these ppl very well and I understand their language too  but I never let them knw that because thats how u get to see the dirt in them, they will get angry at u if u live in lagos and dont understand their language! Very insecure ppl!
And one more thing,  The easiest way to lay a yarriba chic is to speak their language, very easy,u dont have to say anything else.so long u are igbo and understand yarriba they will dump the nicest yarriba for ya, pitiful!

mumu here is another ibo tribalist that hate yoruba people IN LAGOS A YORUBA LAND UNBLEIEVABLE

tribalism part 2

Tribalism in Nollywood: Producers Asked Me To Adopt Igbo Name

By Nigerian Compass

She is 'big' and beautiful with a reputation that sets her apart from the other actresses. ENIOLA BADMUS made her entry into the movie world eleven years ago with the movie 'Brutal Times' and ever since, she has had countless movies both in English and Yoruba to her credit. She is a recognised face, having been involved in some television jingles and promotions. Undermining her size ENIOLA is one actress that goes with confidence on and off set. She speaks with Spice on her career, the movie industry, her private life and lots more. Enjoy:

How is life and how is the acting career treating you?
We thank God, acting is going on well.

How long have you been acting?
I have been acting since 1997 and that is about eleven years now. I actually started with an English film. I have been acting right from my university days at the University of Ibadan.

Which was your first movie?
Brutal times.

Why did you abandon English home video for Yoruba?.
actually, I didn't abandon English home video completely, I still do TV series in English. I have about two of such soaps running on some television channels now. Though, there was a time I almost left but I didn't abandon the genre completely. I noticed that there was a lot of tribalism there. About two or three producers actually approached me to consider adopting an Igbo name which I rejected. I told them I would not sell my birth right. More so, my parents won't be happy with me.

I'm from a very good home. So I told them that if they couldn't accept me for what I am, I would rather go to where I'll be accepted better and that was why I crossed over to the Yoruba sector. But now, I still do TV series. But there's a project in the pipeline now that has to do with the English sector. They've been calling me back now.

When you compare the Yoruba and the English movie scene, which would you say is the most lucrative?
Let me say in the English sector, the fee is high and lucrative, but the Yoruba sector too is not doing badly at all. I must confess, the Yoruba sector made me as an actress. But in terms of money, Yoruba genre is far behind and that is basically because they help each other, sometimes without a fee being attached. Yoruba people believe in helping each other and they promote each other's work with little or no fee attached.

Is it true that you often go physical with people?.
Let me tell you something. I'm Eniola Badmus .Nobody can be like me. I might try to be someone else on set but actually I'm still myself. Again, I don't engage myself in any mess. Anything that has to do with rubbish I don't engage in it. I do my own thing my own way. All the same, I'm very careful about what I do. First thing, I remember is my background. I know the kind of family I have, especially my father. I can't do anything that would drag the name of my family in the mud.

They might say I fight a lot because sometimes, I can be violent but all the same, I try to put my emotions under control because I feel some people are looking up to me in the society. I don't do nonsense. I don't do rubbish. I hold my father in a very high esteem hence. I will never mess up my family's name. I don't pick quarrels with people. I play with people a lot. Only those who don't know me well conclude that I'm arrogant.

So, what could easily annoy you?
When you take me for granted. Some people would want to play on one's intelligence and that could easily make one angry. For me to fight with somebody means that person must have over-reached him or her self. Ordinarily, I play a lot. I live for others to live.

How many movies have you featured in since?
I've lost count. I can't just count them. But the only thing that makes me happy is when I look through my C.V, I feel happy knowing that I have done adverts for Celtel (now Zain) and Central Bank of Nigeria.

Which of these adverts made you smile to bank?
The Celtel advert because it includes the TV commercial, print,billboards and souvenirs while the pay was well over a million bucks.

Considering your size, you are a wonderful actress. What is the confidence that keeps you going?
It is God that makes such achievement come true, not just by my abilities alone.

Which part of the country are you from?
I am an Ijebu girl with an Egba mother.

You are also easily identified for your jewelries and make-ups. Is that your signature?
May be, may be not. But I am a very colorful person and I like colorful things. In the whole of the make-up, my favourite is the eye shadow; I really take my time to wear it. You know I am big but I am not fat, so I try to make my face as attractive as I can and I play with colours, especially the bright ones.

In most of your movies, you have played several roles ranging from the campus hard babe to LovePeddler. Who is the real Eniola Badmus?
Eniola Badmus is just a simple person that is as regular as everyone else. You know, as an actress, you should be able to play any role you are given well, but unfortunately, some people think that we are what they see in movies, butit is not so, I amjust like any other girl.

What is your view on intimate harassment in Nollywood. Is it real?
Yes it is real in Nollywood.

Have you ever been sexually harassed?
Yes I have been sexually harassed but that was when I just started out, when I was still new in the industry.

So what did you do?
I prayed about it and somehow, I overcame it.

How do you handle advances from male fans, especially the very stubborn ones?
The truth of the matter is that they must come but it will now be left to the person to decide whether she wants it or not. For me, I appreciate them and make them understand my stand and I also draw the line between work and pleasure.

So who is that special man in your life right now?
Oh! That person is a wonderful person and caring too. Really, I want to get married and settle down but I am still single and ready to mingle.

You are not searching,  ?
Obviously when I say I am ready to mingle, it means I am still searching.

Who is your kind of man?
When I see a man that is good looking, tall and dark in complexion.

At what age did you have your first date?
When I was 23"

How romantic are you?
I know I am very romantic. Very, very.

What is your choice when it comes to underwear?
What do you mean underwear?

I mean the pants, brassier and negligees, so what is your choice colour for such?

It may surprise you to know that I wear only one of the three you just mentioned.

So which one is that?

I don't want to say, I leave the guess to you but I wear only one of them.

Have you had any embarrassing moment for playing a particular role in a movie?

I get a whole lot of that every other day. When we go to shoot, our audience sometimes will not allow you to move. Some will demand for money from you just because they watch and buy your movies, forgetting that we are also humans like they are with blood running through us too.

What is your favourite food?
My favourite food is an Ijebu native food called Ikokore.

What is one good thing that you can say acting has done to you as a person?

It has done a whole lot to me. I am a person who loves to travel and meet people and this career has taken me far and wide, it has made me go places and I have been privileged to meet with all sorts of people.

Nigerian Compass
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by chimanu2000(m): 1:27pm On Sep 12, 2011
I weep for Nigeria, if the majority of the views represented here are from the so called youth and future leaders. I come from the Delta area and have had the priviledge of living and being all over the country. All the people are accomodating only the small minded illiterates usually influenced by the rich political elite are unaccomodating and distrustful. I know lots of Yorubas who have lived all their lives up North and prefer it there, easterners whose first languages are yoruba and hausa and hausa who can't relate to northern cultures. Unless we remember what our great anscestors knew wjen they freely engaged in trade with each others, we will keep blaming our failures on tribal sentiments
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by Rastamann: 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2011
Says who?. Have you been rejected by Hausa Fulani or Ijaw or Igbo before?. How did you come to this conclusion?. The same Yoruba that discriminates against non Yorubas in renting their properties?. Is that your idea of welcoming or did OODUA send you on cheap PR campaign?.

Correct talk only be say the Hausa Fulani get some comma inside.
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2011
Yoruba protected ibo people in lagos during the war another yibbo tribalist in nollywood. bunch of ingrates

What has been happening to you? Actually I have been out of the scene for some time. I have been trying repackage and rebrand myself.

What exactly do you mean by rebranding yourself?

I mean I am trying to do new things, to learn new technology, in order to move on to the next level?

You seem to be having a very tight schedule, lecturing and directing films and maybe doing a bit of scriptwriting, these days. How do you cope with the pressure?

I do not see it as pressure. It is part of my training. To be in this business you have to be up and doing every minute because the moment you relax a lot of things may pass you by. You have to keep in touch with what is happening in the industry, the current technology, and the new things coming into the market. You have to think about how to do good productions. Right now I lecture at PEFTI. That is part of my personal re- branding effort. I am trying to train a new generation of professionals who really understand what television and film production is all about. Also I have been busy directing television series and soaps and movies.

What television series are you working on at present?

At present, I direct some of the TV drama series produced by Wale Adenuga Productions, such as Soul Sisters, Papa Ajasco, and some episodes of This Life.

Do you also direct Nollywood home video films?

Yes, I have handled some Nollywood films.

What movies have you directed lately?

Just about some months back, I did a yoruba movie titled, Nkan Oni Mi.

How does it feel competing with younger colleagues?

There is no competition. The sky is big enough for everybody. That is why we are training a new set of people. We still have a lot to do and so I do not see it as a competition. This business is about quality; the quality of what Nollywood can produce, not about competition.

People have been talking about reshap Nollywood. How exactly do you think this should be accomplished?

They can only achieve this by insisting on professionallism. It is as simple as that. Let us stop churning out half- baked movies and stamp out mediocrity in Nollywood and things will get better. We should allow trained professionals to do the job. That is the way I feel about it.

What are the differences and similarities between the period when you started directing movies and now?

So far, there has been a lot of improvement in technology. Equipment used for production are better and more sophisticated than ever. But then, the movie industry has witnessed a massive influx of mediocres and people lacking professional knowledge of how to make movies. Many of them are simply not doing the right thing. This is because some people just come on location and after playing the role of a production assistant once, they want to direct and produce a home video film. Some of us who were trained for this job feel bad when we see such people ruining everything.

Is it compulsory that an individual must be formally tutored in movie making? How about those who are naturally gifted for the job?

Yes, in a way. It is either you go to school or you learn the ropes under somebody that is a professional. It shouln‘t be just because you were part of a production once and all of a sudden, you want to direct a movie. Once I was on location somewhere and there was this fellow who called himself a movie director, but knew next to nothing about what to do. The artistes on the set of the film in progress were telling him what to do. All he did was sit in a corner and shout commands to the cameraman. That was not what we were taught in school. I agree that talent is necessary for this kind of job. But then, it is either you go to school or you learn the ropes from somebody else.

What do you expect a real director to do right?

A good director must be able to communicate. He must be a psychologist, a creative person, and a father to all because he is totally in control. As a director, you must be knowledgeable in what you are doing and you must have good understanding of the script. You must be able to communicate with the cast and the crew. You must be able to actualize what the producer has in mind.

Don‘t you see enough of this quality in Nollywood movie directors?

No. I do not see enough of it.

Nollywood is currently rated as the second largest movie industry in the world. Do you think it deserves this ranking?

I do not know why Nollywood is rated as the second largest in the world. I would like to know on what basis. Is it in terms of quality or quantity? Yes Nollywood is respected outside the country, but is it for the quality of the films produced or the quantity? I don‘t deny the fact that some productions are good enough to earn Nollywood some respect outisde this country. In fact, I am impressed by Amazing Grace and Figurine, which was produced by Tunde Kelani. Those are examples of well-produced movies that will earn Nollywood some respect anywhere in the world. But what use is it when a small boy or girl can predict how a film will end by simply watching the beginning? In such a film there is usually no suspense, no intrigue, and no excitement. That is the way I see it.

What do you think about the quality of acting in the Nollywood?

There is a lot of improvement, but we still have a long way to go. Emphasis should be on proper casting and getting the right people to do the right thing, not casting people in a movie because they know one or two people at the top. I should not cast the wrong person for the right role just because I want to shoot a low-budget film. Also the fact that I am in charge of a film production does not mean that could use my brother to achieve this in order to cut corners. Those are some of the things affecting our production.

What do you think should be done and who should do it?

Those of us that are professionals have to get our acts together. In the first place, members of the various associations and guilds should stop fighting amongst themselves. Let us stand as one solid organisation and stop creating factions. By the time we get our acts together we would be able to control the industry.

The movie producers also complained about not having enough funds to make high quality films?

Maybe it is because they have not got the right stories yet. If you have the right story people would come out to sponsor it. Apart from that, there is a problem with marketing because many of the supposed sponsors complain of spending so much on production without making profits. So they are scared of putting more money into movie production. I have had the experience of spending so much money on a film and getting nothing out of it.

How do you identify a good script?

When you see a good script, you would know it. It must have a good story line, suspense, intrigue, and the plot must be convincing. I do not know how to put it, but when you see a good script you would know it. You cannot predict what will happen next and there is that urge to want to know more about the story.

In terms of good stories, would you give Nollywood a pass mark?

I would rate Nollywood average in terms of good stories. After we shot and released Battle of Musanga, which I directed, everybody wanted to do epic movies from then on. But Battle of Musanga is a movie that revolves around the introduction of Christianity into a community in Igbo land. The story is told in different plots. That is what I call a good story. Suddenly everybody started doing epic movies up to the point that people started picking stories out of Battle of Musanga itself and started writing topics out of the movie. If anybody comes out with a successful love story today for the next one month everyone else would be writing about love. If it is about robbery, everybody would be writing about robbery. That is not how it should be. People should be creative and come out with different stories. Look at Things fall Apart, for example; it was made into a movie and became a huge success. We still have stories like that and nearly all of them are classics written by the likes of Ola Rotimi, Femi Osofisan, and Wole Soyinka. These authors have written stories that we can adapt into movies. Instead of just concerntrating on scripts, we still have writers that are still around and good enough to write stories for the screen.

These works that you have mentioned are literary. Do you think literary works are easily adaptable to films?

The Americans do it in Hollywood and it is done everywhere in the world. Don‘t forget that Things fall Apart was a literary story and it was converted into a screenplay and a movie. It can be done. It is done everywhere.

How come marketers, instead of producers or directors, decide what happens during movie productions?

The simple answer to that is the insincerity of the producers. When they hold meetings of their guild and mutually agree on a line of action, instead of sticking to the general decision, most of them go out and do a different thing. There was a time when producers got together and said they did not like the way the marketers were treating them. So they tried to create an outlet for the marketing and distribution of their films. In the end, some of the producers went back to doing business with the marketers.

Are you saying that in spite of its success, Nollywood is not really organised?

It is not organised. Let us be frank with each other. You can see what is happening now, with people fighting everywhere. It is not organised. Anybody can kill me for that if they like.

At what point in your life did you decide to live by directing movies?

I have always been in love with movies, even as a youth. I was born and bred on Lagos Island. When I was growing up, we had mobile cinemas. Men came in vans and set up the screens and they showed films to the people. In those days, we went out to watch those films. We watched cowboy films, Indian films, and all those action films then. After seeing these movies, during the week we would leave school and go out to draw cowboys on the posters. That was when I got interested in the title, Art director. I never knew the meaning then and I always told myself that one day I would become an art director. After drawing all the cowboys on the posters, we used to do this caricature thing: we would set up a box, light a candle behind it, and then cut out cardboards in human forms and show them to our friends. Back then we were small. I got the idea from my uncle who lived in America. He told us some things about the caricature stuff. Later we learnt that the Chinese also had something like that. It has always been in my interest to be invloved in show business.

When did you actualise this dream?

When I got to the University of Ibadan where I studied Theatre Arts and majored in directing for stage. During the compulsory National youth service I worked with the Nigeria Television Authority. I did some shots for NTA, Kano. When I returned to Lagos I started working with NTA Network on production. From there, I moved on to NTA Television College, Jos. I am now specialised in television production and technology. Besides, I have attended seminars and workshop abroad. I got really excited when I was nominated to be part of the United Nations-sponsored workshop on Sesamie Street.

What was your experience at the workshop?

They wanted us to start something like Sesamie Street in Nigeria. It was an exciting experience and an opportunity to see new technology, new things, and interact with producers, directors and writers from other countries. For me, it was a good exposure.

As a graduate of Theatre Arts, you could have opted for a career in stage drama. What led to your interest in the movies?

To be frank with you, I can still do stage production because I still do it for my church and my club. But, like I said before, I have always been interested in television and film.

What attracted you to television and film?

Creativity. There are things you can do with a camera and an editing machine that you cannot do on stage. It is about creativity.

Which is the first movie that you directed?

The first movie I directed as an associate director was ‘Rattle snake‘. Also I went to Enugu to direct ‘The Unpardonable‘. It was the first full-length movie that I ever directed. It was an Igbo film. Can you believe that I could not speak Igbo language and I was directing an Igbo film. It was quite interesting and after that one, I have directed many other movies.

If the truth must be told, there is division in Nollywood and that is where part of the problem lies. There is this tribal thing, It is just now that some producers are trying to integrate some Yorubas actors into the English speaking movies and vic versa.

What do you think is the cause of this problem?

The[b] Nigerian factor and all the tribal nonsense. I have worked with the Igbo and I had no problem with them. Also I worked with the Yoruba. It is one of the things that Nigerian politics has foisted on our social life.[/b]

What was it like when you were growing up?

It was fun. In those days, we never knew who was Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa. We played together on Lagos Island and ate together. You may not believe it, but during the war some of our parents were hiding the Igbo to save them from danger. You hardly knew they were Igbo because there was no discrimination. Politicians are ones that have brought this tribal issue on us

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?datex=02/06/2010&theartic=Art201002061385825
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by NRI PRIEST(m): 1:37pm On Sep 12, 2011
and for u,Tunby;have u ever lived in the eastern nigeria? I doubt it. I put it on my life that no tribe in nigeria will ever be as loving,accomodating and defending to outsiders more than the igbo tribe! Do not say what u dont knw.igbo will show more comfort and tolerance to outsiders more than their fellow igbos, thats why some ppl say igbos dont love themselves, in my hometown in umuoji we have ppl frm benin,uhrobo,yorubas and idomas and u need to just go ask these ppl how they feel living with the igbo, but a dullard like u who never left ur little overglorified paradise called lagos will never knw but u are very fast at making comparisons, u are very unwise!
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:40pm On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

and for u,Tunby;have u ever lived in the eastern nigeria? I doubt it. I put it on my life that no tribe in nigeria will ever be as loving,accomodating and defending to outsiders more than the igbo tribe! Do not say what u dont knw.igbo will show more comfort and tolerance to outsiders more than their fellow igbos, thats why some ppl say igbos dont love themselves, in my hometown in umuoji we have ppl frm benin,uhrobo,yorubas and idomas and u need to just go ask these ppl how they feel living with the igbo, but a dullard like u who never left your little overglorified paradise called lagos will never knw but u are very fast at making comparisons, u are very unwise!

BIG LIE

infact i don't want to be replying to ur rubbish

defend the link i posted if igbos are anywhere close to accommodiating pls answer
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2011
i am waiting Nri priest to tell me if igbo are anywhere close to accommodiating

pls tell me
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by Taitesssy(m): 1:53pm On Sep 12, 2011
I must say that all the tribes in Nigeria do accommodate each other but the truth is that our so called leaders in a bid to practice their divide and rule to their advantage tends to create a dichotomy among us so that we can in our sub conscientiousness believe that we are  each others enemy, believe me we all have a common enemy that is our leaders.
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

and for u,Tunby;have u ever lived in the eastern nigeria? I doubt it. I put it on my life that no tribe in nigeria will ever be as loving,accomodating and defending to outsiders more than the igbo tribe! Do not say what u dont knw.igbo will show more comfort and tolerance to outsiders more than their fellow igbos, thats why some ppl say igbos dont love themselves, in my hometown in umuoji we have ppl frm benin,uhrobo,yorubas and idomas and u need to just go ask these ppl how they feel living with the igbo, but a dullard like u who never left your little overglorified paradise called lagos will never knw but u are very fast at making comparisons, u are very unwise!

maybe you should read this

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-707870.0.html

to me if igbos are even accommodiating to South-south people not to even talk of hausa or yoruba
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 1:57pm On Sep 12, 2011
Taitesssy:

I must say that all the tribes in Nigeria do accommodate each other but the truth is that our so called leaders in a bid to practice their divide and rule to their advantage tends to create a dichotomy among us so that we can in our sub conscientiousness believe that we are  each others enemy, believe me we all have a common enemy that is our leaders.    

Yes we know this and we are very much aware of this divide and rule tactic our leaders have employed but the reality is that yorubas are very accommodiating and igbos are the least accommodiating

Heck i am not even yoruba
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 2:00pm On Sep 12, 2011
globacom is yoruba man company adenuga but look at his ambassadors

1. Chioma Chukwuka Akpotha (Igbo)
2. Basketmouth (Igbo)
3. Ego Ogbaro of Lagbaja (Edo)
4. Ali Nuhu (Hausa)
5. Rita Dominic (Igbo)
6. Desmond Elliot (Yoruba)
7. Monalisha Chinda (Rivers)
8. Mike Ezuruonye (Igbo)
9. Sammie Okposo (Urhobo)
10. Ini Edo (Calabar)
11. Nono Diobi (Igbo)
12. Ramsey Nouah (Yoruba?)
13. Kate Henshaw-Nuttal (Calabar)
14. Funke Akindele (Yoruba)
15. Uche Jombo (Igbo)
16. Jim Iyke (Igbo?)
17. Yakubu Mohammed (Hausa)
18. Stereoman Ekwe (Edo)
19. Pasuma (Yoruba)
20. PSquare (Igbo?)
21. Casey Edema (edo)

How many yorubas do u see there

but can the same be said of diamond bank nigeria. where about 90% of the employees are igbos even in states like borno, osun, kwara, kogi etc where there is little or no igbo population there compare to others
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by ndigbo: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2011
Why are we like the proverbial chicken that left the knife that killed it went ahead to bend it's neck for the Pot! I don't care which tribe is accomodating or not, all i know is that we Nigerians have a common ENEMY, which are our LEADERS! We shouldn't spend our time fighting which other and our collective billions are being  transfered into some private foreign account on minutes basis.
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 2:03pm On Sep 12, 2011
ndigbo:

Why are we like the proverbial chicken that left the knife that killed it went ahead to bend it's neck for the Pot! I don't care which tribe is accomodating or not, all i know is that we Nigerians have a common ENEMY, which are our LEADERS! We shouldn't spend our time fighting which other and our collective billions are being  transfered into some private foreign account on minutes basis.

oooo hhooo

maybe you should tell ur brother Nri priest that is posting crap because even I have a personal experence of igbo tribalism but i don't let that bring me down.

there are some nice igbo people there but when u see ingrates like Nri priest. it just annoys Me
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by alj_harem: 2:07pm On Sep 12, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

@sundayademol,u called igbos thieves and said they are robbing yarriba ppl in their own land.can u expantiate on that because the last time I chekd 99% of the thieves burned alive in lagos island during the mobs move to wipe lagos island off of criminals were of yarriba origin! Oops, how shocking! Plz,do your homework very well b4 u start showing your everlasting ignorance in public.

you one big ideeiot, maybe you would explain this of igbos forcing there language on people

they forced there language on us

Before we knew it, Biafran troops were in Benin City and en-route to Lagos. The Republic of Benin was created and it subsequently became the shortest Republic that ever was. Before we knew it, all our Igbo friends and neighbors started saying “Kedu” to us. When you turn around to look at him in surprise, he would say, “Ah, unah, you never begin learn? Na wa. I’m sorry oh.” The big question was: Learn what? Do you mean Igbo is becoming the lingua-franca in “Benin Republic?” Biafran troops were in control and from all practical purposes, the people were being intimidated, etc. Basically, Benin Republic was functionally a colony of Biafra.

http://www.republicreport.com/why-biafra-did-not-survive-written-by-alen-ighedosa/
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by ndigbo: 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2011
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by pinkrex(m): 2:23pm On Sep 12, 2011
ndigbo:

So we should only discuss on every thread about our money being looted??
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by mafolayomi(f): 2:25pm On Sep 12, 2011
smiley Tpia am surprise you started a thread like this. knowing fully well what d result will be. ko daaa o
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by cantell(m): 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2011
alj_harem:

1.   Chioma Chukwuka Akpotha (Igbo)
2.   Basketmouth (Igbo)
3.   Ego Ogbaro of Lagbaja (Edo)
4.   Ali Nuhu (Hausa)
5.   Rita Dominic (Igbo)
6.   Desmond Elliot (Yoruba)
7.   Monalisha Chinda (Rivers)
8.   Mike Ezuruonye (Igbo)
9.   Sammie Okposo (Urhobo)
10.   Ini Edo (Calabar)
11.   Nono Diobi (Igbo)
12.   Ramsey Nouah (Yoruba?)
13.   Kate Henshaw-Nuttal (Calabar)
14.   Funke Akindele (Yoruba)
15.   Uche Jombo (Igbo)
16.   Jim Iyke (Igbo?)
17.   Yakubu Mohammed (Hausa)
18.   Stereoman Ekwe (Edo)
19.   Pasuma (Yoruba)
20.   PSquare (Igbo?)
21.   Casey Edema (edo)

but can  the same be said of diamond bank nigeria. where about 90% of the employees are igbos even in states like borno, osun, kwara, kogi etc where there is little or no igbo population there compare to others
For your info, Adenuga is a true businessman just like any other Igbo businessman.
He's there to make his money and thats all that matters to him.
If yorubas were to be the top producers/marketers in nollywood(english) igbos would be begging for "waka-pass" roles in movies.
So mister, you can copy all the interviews and whinings from half-baked yoruba actresses, it still won't change anything.
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by mafolayomi(f): 2:33pm On Sep 12, 2011
smiley Tpia am surprise you started a thread like this. knowing fully well what d result will be. ko daaa o
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by pinkrex(m): 2:50pm On Sep 12, 2011
alj_harem:

1.   Chioma Chukwuka Akpotha (Igbo)
2.   Basketmouth (Igbo)
3.   Ego Ogbaro of Lagbaja (Edo)
4.   Ali Nuhu (Hausa)
5.   Rita Dominic (Igbo)
6.   Desmond Elliot (Yoruba)
7.   Monalisha Chinda (Rivers)
8.   Mike Ezuruonye (Igbo)
9.   Sammie Okposo (Urhobo)
10.   Ini Edo (Calabar)
11.   Nono Diobi (Igbo)
12.   Ramsey Nouah (Yoruba?)
13.   Kate Henshaw-Nuttal (Calabar)
14.   Funke Akindele (Yoruba)
15.   Uche Jombo (Igbo)
16.   Jim Iyke (Igbo?)
17.   Yakubu Mohammed (Hausa)
18.   Stereoman Ekwe (Edo)
19.   Pasuma (Yoruba)
20.   PSquare (Igbo?)
21.   Casey Edema (edo)

but can  the same be said of diamond bank nigeria. where about 90% of the employees are igbos even in states like borno, osun, kwara, kogi etc where there is little or no igbo population there compare to others

How many of your Yoruba brothers have attained the heights of the above listed undecided undecided undecided undecided

Please be objective and not subjective because you want to convince everyone with your opinion!
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by Hambolaj01(m): 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2011
Because we are the best in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by pinkrex(m): 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2011
Hambolaj01:

Because we are the best in Nigeria
[/quote

Are you really sure?
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by htajz: 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2011
yorubas are very wicked ,the only difference btween them and the hausa is that the hausa have the liver to go kill u while the Hausa do but yorubas will fraustrate your life and if you cant speak yorubas sorry for you. if not for other ethnic groups that live and own properties in lagos there by able to rent them all non yorubas will be sleeping under the bridge or would have been chased out. look at the movie industry , nollywood have produced stars from all ethnic group even though they have more igbo(thats understandable since it an igbo thing) but yoruba wood have nver ever produced one single non yoruba star, very wicked people. before you  start talkin about lagos remember its nigerias commercial capital and former capital so the yorubas have no say in lagos cus most establishmanets there are federal government owned so they usually apply quota system to employ if not God help us. if u jam opc,lastma or even get lost in lagos etc and your not a yoruba man  embarassed embarassed embarassed(R.I.P)
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by Hambolaj01(m): 3:08pm On Sep 12, 2011
cantell:

For your info, Adenuga is a true businessman just like any other Igbo businessman.
He's there to make his money and thats all that matters to him.
If yorubas were to be the top producers/marketers in nollywood(english) igbos would be begging for "waka-pass" roles in movies.
So mister, you can copy all the interviews and whinings from half-baked yoruba actresses, it still won't change anything.

alj_harem link=topic=756675[quote author=alj_harem:

1.   Chioma Chukwuka Akpotha (Igbo)
2.   Basketmouth (Igbo)
4.   Ali Nuhu (Hausa)
5.   Rita Dominic (Igbo)
10.   Ini Edo (Calabar)
11.   Nono Diobi (Igbo)
15.   Uche Jombo (Igbo)
16.   Jim Iyke (Igbo?)
19.   Pasuma (Yoruba)
20.   PSquare (Igbo?)
21.   Casey Edema (edo)

but can  the same be said of diamond bank nigeria. where about 90% of the employees are igbos even in states like borno, osun, kwara, kogi etc where there is little or no igbo population there compare to others
2.   Basketmouth (Igbo)
4.   Ali Nuhu (Hausa)
5.   Rita Dominic (Igbo)
10.   Ini Edo (Calabar)
11.   Nono Diobi (Igbo)
15.   Uche Jombo (Igbo)
16.   Jim Iyke (Igbo?)
19.   Pasuma (Yoruba)
20.   PSquare (Igbo?)
21.   Casey Edema (edo)

[quote][/quote]

Mike is doing his business and that is where you displayed your true colour. Anyway, for your information, Kate and Jim Iyke have been dropped for Kunle Afolayan and Odunlade Adekola.
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by pinkrex(m): 3:10pm On Sep 12, 2011
htajz:

yorubas are very wicked ,the only difference btween them and the hausa is that the hausa have the liver to go kill u while the Hausa do but yorubas will fraustrate your life and if you cant speak yorubas sorry for you. if not for other ethnic groups that live and own properties in lagos there by able to rent them all non yorubas will be sleeping under the bridge or would have been chased out. look at the movie industry , nollywood have produced stars from all ethnic group even though they have more igbo(thats understandable since it an igbo thing) but yoruba wood have nver ever produced one single non yoruba star, very wicked people. before you  start talkin about lagos remember its nigerias commercial capital and former capital so the yorubas have no say in lagos cus most establishmanets there are federal government owned so they usually apply quota system to employ if not God help us. if u jam opc,lastma or even get lost in lagos etc and your not a yoruba man  embarassed embarassed embarassed(R.I.P)

Must you post cause everyone is posting? undecided

Besides how is the Nollywood an Igbo thing?
Re: Why Are Yorubas So Accomodating Of Other Tribes And Races by klear(f): 3:17pm On Sep 12, 2011
I loathe posts like dis cause it breeds nothing bt hatred, tribalism & anger. I knew from d on set dat it will degenerate into dis self bashings!

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abuja Carnival Pictures. Please Don't Open At Work / Naija Who Is Who In Mathematics. Why Are The Igbos Leading In Academics ! / Somali's Are The Most Amazing And Unique Race Of All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.