Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,969 members, 7,803,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? (1364 Views)

Top 10 Car Engines / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines / Export/import Used Car Engines To West Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by Joy2Dwise: 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2011
My brother is thinking of swapping his 2006 2.4 ltr Kia Optima engine with either 2.4 ltr 04 Camry engine or 1.8ltr 04 Corola Engine.
He is tired of frequent visit to mechanic due to unending engine problems. His mechanic adviced him on this because kia engine is very expensive here and Toyota engine seems to be more durable than the kias and huyndai.

His mechanic also informed him that a minor construction would be carried out to adjust the engine sitting and electrical work and Toyota ECU would be installed, and once this is done, that would the end of his mechanical woes.

I have heard of engine swapping with caburator injected engines but not with newer cars. Has anyone in the house tried this? Please share your experience and also what to watch out for in such project.
Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by EuroMeko(m): 7:18pm On Sep 11, 2011
This is one of my specialities as a hobby but only in the USA where I have access to support and resources.

In my humble opinion, you should sell the car and buy something else. Engine swaps, even though they are cool but they never work out as easily as anticipated. Issues such as chassis interference, plumbing of exhaust, etc are tough issues.

I typically fit V8 engines into smaller cars. It's a sure fire way to get immense horsepower, say Mazda Miata with a stock 115 hp engine, you replace that engine with a Ford V8 making about 550 hp.
Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by Joy2Dwise: 8:08am On Sep 12, 2011
EuroMeko:

This is one of my specialities as a hobby but only in the USA where I have access to support and resources.

In my humble opinion, you should sell the car and buy something else. Engine swaps, even though they are cool but they never work out as easily as anticipated. Issues such as chassis interference, plumbing of exhaust, etc are tough issues.

I typically fit V8 engines into smaller cars. It's a sure fire way to get immense horsepower, say Mazda Miata with a stock 115 hp engine, you replace that engine with a Ford V8 making about 550 hp.

Thanks for your candid response. This is very helpful.
Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by Nicols(m): 12:41pm On Sep 12, 2011
Interesting topic.
Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by EuroMeko(m): 5:58pm On Sep 12, 2011
Here are some examples:

Here is one of my trucks. A basic Mazda truck with a puny little engine originally but I shoehorned a Ford V8 engine making almost 400 horsepower into it. Here are some pictures before new painting.

Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by Joy2Dwise: 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2011
I guess the gas milage of that mazda doubled after the engine conversion. cool cool
Re: ADAPTING CAR ENGINES: Ever Tried This? What's Your Experience So Far? by EuroMeko(m): 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2011
Joy2Dwise:

I guess the gas milage of that mazda doubled after the engine conversion. cool cool

For sure but also did the smiles and the heartbreak caused to many unsuspecting Dodge Viper, Corvette owners.

(1) (Reply)

Bringing Cars From Lagos 2 Abuja: BLACK UNIFORMED OFFICERS Disturbance / Do Vulcanizers Outside Naija Use Akpu(fufu)? / Opel Omega Radio Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.