Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia (3167 Views)

Enugu State University Sacks 153 Lecturers / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Nigeria University Lecturers' Salaries: How Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 8:01pm On Sep 11, 2011
Hello guys,

I have seen every career field have a section but none for those in the accademia. I hope there r pple in the lecturing biz here.

Let me start by myself

I am a lecturer in one of the FUTs in 9ja just joined this yr

I used to work for a bank one of the top foriegn banks in 9ja,

ok lets hear from u guys
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by BIGERBOY1: 9:43pm On Sep 16, 2011
Thats a profession i love
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by aduhube: 8:00am On Sep 18, 2011
@poster, how can u help me secure the same job. I have Msc now running a Phd. Write me agbochriss@yahoo.com
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by BIGERBOY1: 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2011
@aduhube Guy i dey think of phd too o, any idea were i go get, getable scholarship?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by aduhube: 9:23am On Sep 20, 2011
Google the PhD of your area of interest. Prepare a good reserach proposal, post and wait for the reply. Simple! I hope this information helps.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by jlegemah: 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2011
Please do any one in d house have an idea 4 lecturing job vacancy in any institution.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2011
i love dis profession wit my everytin! I graduated 2009, just tru nysc and wants to put in for masters in d same uni i graduated frm particularly d same dept cos my uncle who is a prof is currently d dean of d faculty. Pls advice me on steps to take in actualisin my dream in dis profession. Thanx.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by BIGERBOY1: 3:49pm On Sep 26, 2011
First step finish ur masters and if possible get a PhD, and u should be hot cake,
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 26, 2011
BIGER BOY:

First step finish your masters and if possible get a PhD, and u should be hot cake,
bros i appreciate ur reply, but was tinkin of gettin d lecturin job after masters, b4 i proceed for PhD, how realistic can dis be pls?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by aduhube: 11:06am On Sep 29, 2011
The NUC minimun requirement is a Ph. D. Go get it dear, and the sky will be your limit.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 2:55pm On Sep 29, 2011
Guy ai be lektura an I no get PhD, so u can get it without phd,

Although u will be given seven years probation period to acquire one, I think that's more than enough time,

bTw I create dis porum por lekturas not wannabe lekturas, where r d koret lektoras?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by DisGuy: 8:25pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mai-suya:

Hello guys,

I have seen every career field have a section but none for those in the accademia. I hope there r pple in the lecturing biz here.

Let me start by myself

ok lets hear from u guys

Way to go, so do you lecture in a subject like Business/accounting etc etc
Atleast someone with real life experience

So Mai Suya, what are students like
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by DisGuy: 8:28pm On Sep 29, 2011
Boyloaf:

i love dis profession wit my everytin! I graduated 2009, just tru nysc and wants to put in for masters in d same uni i graduated frm particularly d same dept cos my uncle who is a prof is currently d dean of d faculty. Pls advice me on steps to take in actualisin my dream in dis profession. Thanx.

Why dont you want to try another university?

You want your uncle to influence your results and employment or
the school is really highly rated?

and if your uncle is a dean of the faculty, that should be the first point of information for a career, right ?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 9:28pm On Sep 29, 2011
As much as lecturing looks easy to d outsiders, wallahi ba wasa (e no easy). Developing course works, marking essays and exams, and the hardest one is research, u have to publish papers in renowned journals if u want to progress in this area, If u no sabi ur head fit fall off
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by DisGuy: 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mai Suya, Do you sell notes/hand outs to students?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 11:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
^^^
no, but I sell suya in the ebenings,
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mai-suya:

Hello guys,

Let me start by myself

ok lets hear from u guys

Where do you teach, I want to apply for Uni there grin
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by DisGuy: 11:05pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mai-suya:

^^^
no, but I sell suya in the ebenings,

why did you start this thread, if you are not going to answer questions relating to your profession?

you are not the only Hausa here, leave the joke for another thread
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 11:09pm On Sep 29, 2011
See me see wahala, So u did not see NO in the whole sentence it's only the suya part saw

Btw I said I want to share experience with other lecturers not to answer question from journalists,
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mai-suya:

Hello guys,

Let me start by myself

ok lets hear from u guys

Which one? I lectured briefly at FUT Yola way back in 2005. Department of Urban and Regional Planning. Very interesting experience especially with handling much older students.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by semid4lyfe(m): 11:19pm On Sep 29, 2011
Kai. . .na lecturer dey post like this?

Naijeriya jagajaga true true cry
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 11:22pm On Sep 29, 2011
@david yes quite interesting experience so far am in the department of entrepreneurship and business technology,
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 11:25pm On Sep 29, 2011
@ semid Its a choice to use my suya personality, so don't judge a book by it's cover. Chao.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by FEMARY(m): 11:59pm On Sep 29, 2011
How much do lecturers earn in nigeria universities(public/private).
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by jackpot(f): 6:18am On Sep 30, 2011
jlegemah:

Please do any one in d house have an idea 4 lecturing job vacancy in any institution.
Federal College of Education, Kontagora Niger State. www.fcekg.com

Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti.

Hope this helps.
FEMARY:

How much do lecturers earn in nigeria universities(public/private).
be specific. Which cadre?
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by jackpot(f): 6:26am On Sep 30, 2011
Mai-suya:

See me see wahala, So u did not see NO in the whole sentence it's only the suya part saw

Btw I said I want to share experience with other lecturers
not to answer question from journalists,
I'm in Mathematics. We're resuming very soon. Courses already assigned and I'm making notes now. cool
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Obinoscopy(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2011
Why do our academic system encourage cramming?

I observe that its only those who're expert at cramming that come out with top grades (the only exceptions are students form Engineering and Physical Sciences). After 5 years they tend to forget all what they've been taught in School.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 7:10pm On Oct 01, 2011
Because the students are so lazy and only care about easy grade and quick money
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Obinoscopy(m): 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2011
Thats not a good explanation. Even if students are lazy, its the responsibility of the teacher, who is the academic parent of that student, to instill discipline in the student and to discourage lassitude.Thats not a good explanation. Even if students are lazy, its the responsibility of the teacher, who is the academic parent of that student, to instill discipline in the student and to discourage lassitude.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 2:35pm On Oct 02, 2011
The teacher can only do so much the society does the bulk. In a society where hard work is not rewarded, and compensation is based on who u r and not what u can do. The teacher can only do litle, I stayed abroad for a while where hard work pays and people work to earn a living and to get a work u need to know, and if u want to know u must learn and if want to learn u need to work hard in school,

Here the reverse is totally the case so u see, the students are lazy not because they want to be, but because it doesn't pay in our society to be hardworking,
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by AjanleKoko: 4:02pm On Oct 02, 2011
Obinoscopy:

Thats not a good explanation. Even if students are lazy, its the responsibility of the teacher, who is the academic parent of that student, to instill discipline in the student and to discourage lassitude.Thats not a good explanation. Even if students are lazy, its the responsibility of the teacher, who is the academic parent of that student, to instill discipline in the student and to discourage lassitude.

Cramming is part of education, actually.
In fact, it's doubtful that you can get through many science programs without cramming at all.
Nigeria's education problem is not caused by cramming.
Re: Forum For Lecturers And Others In The Academia by Maisuya1: 6:33pm On Oct 02, 2011
Yes cramming is part of education but its only good when u understand what u cram

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Your Career Or Supervisor Holding Your Thesis Hostage? We Can Help You! / Be A Seafarer In 6 Months / Beware Of Chevron/texaco Jointcash Electro Raffle Promo Text (scam) .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.