Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (34085 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / What's The Meaning Of ''Emi Nado'' & From Which Language? / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by FXKing2012(m): 7:26am On Mar 19, 2013
tpia@:

i get your point, but you are referring to context, or a word's contextual meaning, as opposed to the factual one.

tpia@ is a scammer
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by eliznkiru: 9:43am On Mar 20, 2013
Udo in igbo
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Sike(m): 9:45am On Mar 20, 2013
Peace is PEACE. Chikena!!
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by adexsimply(m): 9:46am On Mar 20, 2013
i could remember anytime my dad prays "OLUWA, je ki ALAFIA re ki o joba ni orile ede yi"=LORD LET YOUR PEACE REIGN IN THIS COUNTRY..PEACE-ALAFIA
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by iykak47: 9:47am On Mar 20, 2013
Anyi na akpo ya Udo.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by rezzy: 10:12am On Mar 20, 2013
In Isoko language- Udhadhe means peace *rest of mind*
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by 9jii(m): 10:15am On Mar 20, 2013
Hausa - zaman lafia or
lafia - which sometimes means Health.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by deejayzee: 10:17am On Mar 20, 2013
u can call it idera or irorun
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Vincent41(m): 10:19am On Mar 20, 2013
MariaP: Hello All,

What is the name 'peace' called in the different Nigerian languages?

Yoruba
Igbo
Hausa
Efik
Edo
Itsekiri
e.t.c.

in hausa peace is called==>Boko Haram......lozzzzzz...F****k all muslim

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Tropilo(m): 10:20am On Mar 20, 2013
Hausa/Arab: Jihad means peace.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by odume10: 10:23am On Mar 20, 2013
pls don't derail d thread with stuff lik d confusion in Yoruba meaning and boko haram...

Wofai=peace
in Ugep language of cross river state.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by mmmustapha(m): 10:25am On Mar 20, 2013
Vincent 4:

in hausa peace is called==>Boko Haram......lozzzzzz...F****k all muslim
4uck all xtians
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by 30card(m): 10:27am On Mar 20, 2013
rezzy: In Isoko language- Udhadhe means peace *rest of mind*
UDHEDHE
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by mmmustapha(m): 10:28am On Mar 20, 2013
Tropilo: Hausa/Arab: Jihad means peace.
son of a bitch, illegitimate son
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Dawdy(m): 10:29am On Mar 20, 2013
Alaafia is yoruba word for peace, it was borowed in arabic language Al-aafiyah ‎العافية
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Lois20(f): 10:45am On Mar 20, 2013
It'll be beta if we try 2 learn other languages instead of arguing what it means in just one language.

Bem - Tiv language of Benue state
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Lois20(f): 10:49am On Mar 20, 2013
4uck all xtians

this is not near nice, i believe d thread was meant 2 foster peace and not 4 us 2 display our extremism......
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Lois20(f): 10:51am On Mar 20, 2013
[son of a bitch, illegitimate son]

Now i get it dat u re violent....
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Tolexander: 10:57am On Mar 20, 2013
After seeing the meaning from all dialects in nigeria. I think i can now give a general definition.

Peace is defined as a situation whereby the hausas sheath their daggers, burying their bombs, The igbos thinking about things that can contribute to the developement of the nation rather than what happened 43years ago. And the yorubas stopping their loud mouth.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tjfulloption(m): 10:57am On Mar 20, 2013
kwanciar hankali~ hausa
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by kcreal(f): 11:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Udo in Igbo.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by theripper: 11:07am On Mar 20, 2013
Jihad in Hausa/ Arab

I might b wrong o.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2013
Islam - Arab
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:15am On Mar 20, 2013
adexsimply: i could remember anytime my dad prays "OLUWA, je ki ALAFIA re ki o joba ni orile ede yi"=LORD LET YOUR PEACE REIGN IN THIS COUNTRY..PEACE-ALAFIA

Is he a politician? Just asking though shocked

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by kennyfao(m): 11:15am On Mar 20, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

lol.

blessing = ibukun
honor = ayesi

peace = ire.
shoo! Learn to keep quiet if u don't knw what to say. Peace is nva Ire in yoruba. Its called ALAFIA. Ire means. Blessing
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by felifeli: 11:19am On Mar 20, 2013
MariaP: Hello All,

What is the name 'peace' called in the different Nigerian languages?

Yoruba
Igbo
Hausa
Efik
Edo
Itsekiri
e.t.c.

Peace in Nigeria ? I dey laugh. grin grin
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 20, 2013
Peace = IFOKONBALE
Ire = goodness
Alafia = sound Health

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by adubam(m): 11:25am On Mar 20, 2013
Ufuoma - Urhobo in Delta State
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Psylas(m): 11:25am On Mar 20, 2013
In arabic it means ISLAM!
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 20, 2013
Peace = Salama (Hausa)
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by umarwada(m): 11:40am On Mar 20, 2013
salama[color=#990000][/color]
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Richlife: 11:41am On Mar 20, 2013
Peace mean "Ufuoma" in Urhobo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Others Participate At Berlin Humboldt Forum Arts Exhibition In Ger / Annoying Nigerian Sayings / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.