Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:47 AM

Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games (5070 Views)

Nigeria Finishes Second Position At All African Games / Okagbare Wins Gold In Shanghai / Ese Brume Wins Gold In Women's Long Jump For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by OAM4J: 3:35am On Sep 13, 2011
Osayomi is Africa’s Queen

Nigeria’s women sprinters swept the stakes yesterday at the All African Games here in Maputo.

But the surprise was that Blessing Okagbare was beaten to the gold by rival Damola Osayomi who clocked 10.90 seconds, a time that equaled Gloria Alozie’s national record set in 1999.

AFRICA's QUEEN OF THE TRACK ••• Nigeria's sprinter, Damola Osayomi celebrates her gold in Maputo.

Okagbare who was in the final of the World Championships in Daegu, Korea was favoured to win the race, but she posted 11.07 seconds, while All Africa Games debutant Gloria Asumnu summed up the medal equation when she took bronze with 11.26.

The out come of the women race, met the expectations of Nigerian athletics officials who banked on the girls to perform due to their exploits earlier in the season. Osayomi during the build up to the Games ran 10.99 seconds, while Okagbare ran 11.03.Osayomi also won gold at the 2007 Games in Algeria.

However, Ogho-Oghene Egwero and Obinna Metu were not brave in the men 100m final. Egypt’s Amir Ibrahim took the gold with 10.20 seconds, while Egwero placed second with 10.28 seconds. Metu with all his potentials struggled to a third place finish with 10.29 seconds.

After the race, Egwero looked up at the giant screen as the race was being replayed, he shook his head in regret and looked at the Egyptian speechless.

“There is nothing to say,” was his answer, when approached for his reaction. “There is nothing to say,” he muttered in a muffled tone.

His compatriot Metu was no less surprised at the way the race ended. “I am disappointed. It was not good enough. I thought I could end up better.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/osayomi-is-africas-queen/
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by goldng: 3:55am On Sep 13, 2011
Kudos to Team Nigeria,
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by CyberG: 4:16am On Sep 13, 2011
Kudos to team Nigeria all the way!
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by mitofag: 4:52am On Sep 13, 2011
Kudos to the indefatigable spirit of Oodua.

Long live Oodua
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by airmark(m): 5:23am On Sep 13, 2011
Bravo, this is what i am talking about - GOLD. Not one okagbare is 5th in the final like one clown opened thread few weeks ago. So happy for the EKITI state born NIGERIAN speed star - Damola Osayomi. This is another confirmation of Usain Bolt Yam-consumption-speed secret. smiley
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Princek12(m): 5:49am On Sep 13, 2011
see all these useless sprinters. they only know how to shine in Africa but always place last on the world stage.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by itiswell1(m): 6:24am On Sep 13, 2011
Congrat dearie
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Abayomin70(m): 6:53am On Sep 13, 2011
Princek12:

see all these useless sprinters. they only know how to shine in Africa but always place last on the world stage.
guy is unfair oooo y are yarning like that if u cant praise her den is not a most to post a comment.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by hollandis(f): 7:34am On Sep 13, 2011
OAM4J:

Osayomi is Africa’s Queen

a.

However, Ogho-Oghene Egwero and Obinna Metu were not brave in the men 100m final. Egypt’s Amir Ibrahim took the gold with 10.20 seconds, while Egwero placed second with 10.28 seconds. Metu with all his potentials struggled to a third place finish with 10.29 seconds.

After the race, Egwero looked up at the giant screen as the race was being replayed, he shook his head in regret and looked at the Egyptian speechless.

“There is nothing to say,” was his answer, when approached for his reaction. “There is nothing to say,” he muttered in a muffled tone.

His compatriot Metu was no less surprised at the way the race ended. “I am disappointed. It was not good enough. I thought I could end up better.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/osayomi-is-africas-queen/

10 point what?Honestly these men shouldnt be allowed to represent Nigeria or Africa.The last final held in london was held under 10 points and one assholee claiming gold in above 10 points bullshittttt
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by nasoeb: 7:55am On Sep 13, 2011
@Princek12

why your life be like this?

is that all you could say to someone who did your country proud.

such a shame
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by chuckdee4(m): 9:26am On Sep 13, 2011
Princek12:

Can you compare the kind of support these athletes get compared to their American/Jamaican counterparts?

These guys are trying, if some money and support was pumped into athletics don't you think we would be right up there with the Jamaicans and Americans.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Basics007: 10:34am On Sep 13, 2011
Congrats girls. Thank God Damola survived the trauma of her ban.
Princek12:

what exactly is your problem?
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by sinaoye(m): 11:20am On Sep 13, 2011
This is shaping up to be the worst games Nigeria. In yrs past, its always a clean sweep for nigeria in Table Tennis. But Egypt snatched some gold from us. and remember the times when The sprints both male and female were ours, now other countries a making an inroad into our area of dominance while we are not making any inroad into their's e.g swimming. We need to sit up and arrest this decline by reviving school sports and ensuring athletes for ghames are picked on merit. And its a shame that the winner of men's 100m ran 10+, i can africa hope to compete at the olympic if we are not running sub 10 secs.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by cgift(m): 12:40pm On Sep 13, 2011
Men - 10.2 secs
Women - 10.9 secs

What are we talking about here. We have lost it already especially in the men's segment. and i do hope we find it back. sad there is no need for the men even competing outside Africa cos they will always come last. and with more support, i think the women would start outpacing the men and then we will only need women in Athletics. undecided

Nigeria is really reversing.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by olapluto(m): 12:42pm On Sep 13, 2011
So Damola finally beat Blessing! Brilliant stuff. Now Blessing can have some respect and allow Damola anchor the final legs of the relay races. For now, Damola is the fastest Nigerian woman. Blessing struggles to dip below 11 seconds and Damola has done that 3 times this season!
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by olapluto(m): 12:48pm On Sep 13, 2011
As for the men, I dont think anyone who cannot run sub-10 should represent Nigeria. We have our best sprinters now going to Qatar and other countries because our administrators have their own boys. Metu and Egwero are not 100m runners. They are best fit in 400m. But they will not listen.
If a Nigerian was running 9.85 just few years ago, is it development that the ones who now represent us cannot even run 10.10? its a big shame and I think the athletics body should not present any male sprinters till we allow the real sprinters take the stage.
Moreso, football is doing the damage. Ahmed Musa would have been an easy 10 seconds runner if only he chose athletics.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Princek12(m): 12:58pm On Sep 13, 2011
nasoeb:

@Princek12

why your life be like this?

is that all you could say to someone who did your country proud.

such a shame

chuckdee4:

Can you compare the kind of support these athletes get compared to their American/Jamaican counterparts?

These guys are trying, if some money and support was pumped into athletics don't you think we would be right up there with the Jamaicans and Americans.

I think money and support is not the primary reason why our athletes don't do well. I think our athletes now have a lazy and settling-for-less mentality. You don't need that much money to train for track; determination and discipline is key. Many of those Kenyan and Ethiopian runners don't have the same resources our athletes have, yet they still manage to bag a few golds here and there. Jamaica does not have the same resources we have, but they have the fire in them.

Abayomin70:

guy is unfair oooo y are yarning like that if u cant praise her den is not a most to post a comment.

I know that I should be a little bit congratulatory for the sprinter's gold medal win, but I am still reeling from the disappointing performance of our Nigerian athletes at the recently concluded World Championships at Daegu, Korea. Our best performance in the track and field was a fifth place finish in the women's 100m race, which was very disappointing. Our successes on the African stage but failures on the world stage has become the norm, and I am just a frustrated a Nigerian track and field fan who wants to the see the same successes on the world stage.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by bashydemy(m): 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2011
Congrats
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by olawalebabs(m): 1:56pm On Sep 13, 2011
congrat nigeria, how many golds do we have now and who is topping the medals table
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Ifemyke: 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2011
Well done dear. Its been Nigeria all the way since last weekend. The clubs did well with the exception of Kaduna united.
The only minus is this news on Drogba. pls read more on http://mylatestfootballnews..com/
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by lagcity(m): 5:04pm On Sep 13, 2011
great job! our athletes need more support in Nigeria instead of all these chop money chop money.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2011
We should ban male track and field in Nigeria

The world is getting faster, Nigeria is getting slower

20yrs ago The fastest men in the World , Carl lewis, Linford Christie, Leroy Burrell, Dennis Mitchel were doing 9.91

While Nigeris fastest Olapade Adenekan and Davidson Ezinwa were doing 10.00 comfortably

Nowadays the world has stepped up with Usain Bolt doing 9.5, 9.6 while the fastest Nigerians are now doing 10.30?
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by DisGuy: 6:46pm On Sep 13, 2011
Kudos to her

Shame on the team overall, South Africa Kenya etc are well ahead of Nigeria on the medal table!!

SA has 103 medals 49 Gold

Nigeria has only 19, 3 gold

shame!!
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by DisGuy: 6:59pm On Sep 13, 2011
I think money and support is not the primary reason why our athletes don't do well. I think our athletes now have a lazy and settling-for-less mentality. You don't need that much money to train for track; determination and discipline is key. Many of those Kenyan and Ethiopian runners don't have the same resources our athletes have, yet they still manage to bag a few golds here and there. Jamaica does not have the same resources we have, but they have the fire in them.

Not only that they have they have a ready made excuse -maladministration and lack of funds, silly excuses in most cases if you ask me, the better they are the money sponsorship money comes in individually! if they dont do well they wont get sponsors; simples!
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by dustydee: 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2011
Congrats.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by neyo2k7: 11:31pm On Sep 13, 2011
congrat,
u made us proud
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by Ybutterfly: 2:19pm On Sep 14, 2011
I'm so happy for her
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by olawalebabs(m): 3:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
as at Tuesday evening, nigeria has carted 9 of the 10 golds medal on offer.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by DisGuy: 7:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
hmm as at today South Africa has 131 medals, 57 Gold
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by olawalebabs(m): 11:05am On Sep 15, 2011
What about Nigeria?
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Gold In All African Games by DisGuy: 7:33pm On Sep 15, 2011
as at today Nigeria has 58 Medals, 16 Gold

SA 133 medals 58 Gold

(1) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala Regrets Trophy Loss Despite Personal Awards (pictures) / Photo: Sami Khedira and his girlfriend Lena Johanna / Sunshine Stars FC Fans Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.