Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,917 members, 7,799,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition (3826 Views)

"House Stands By Tambuwal On Defection!" - Victor Ogene (APC) / Jonathan Denies Initiating Single-term Plan / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by OAM4J: 4:08am On Sep 13, 2011
I have no regret proposing single term

President Goodluck Jonathan said on Monday that the criticisms that trailed his proposed six-year single term had not made him to regret his action. The President also described the United State Government cables released by whistleblower, WikiLeaks, as “beer parlour gossips”.

Jonathan, who spoke during a Presidential Media Chat, in Abuja added that he was a leader committed to the transformation of the country.

He said, “I have no regret over the single term proposal. It is to stabilise the polity. Tell me the country that will stabilise its economy without first stabilising its polity? Some analysts say it is corruption that is the country’s problem. But some (also) say from 1960 till date, we have not got any stable polity. I am not saying single tenure alone will bring about a stable polity. But (it is good) because of the circumstances we have in the country now, and in order to reduce tension.

“If you elect somebody today as a chairman of a council or a governor, he will do everything to make sure he wins re-election. Within the party, he will want to get a structure that will favour him. That is the first problem we normally have. For them to work with people at the party, this issue of second term should be jettisoned because politics is built on the structures of the party.”

He said transformation could be painful but any leader who wished his country well would not be weighed down by criticisms.

According to him, the proposal is aimed at stabilising the polity against the political unrest usually witnessed every four years.

While maintaining that four years were too short, the President urged his critics to wait for the bill which he said he had not even forwarded to the National Assembly.

“Even in that report, we said seven years. My thinking is that seven years for president, seven years for governor and six years for the national assembly. I think four years are too short; six years better. I have not submitted any bill to the National Assembly. Before people comment on it, they should see the bill. People are only feasting on rumours,” he said.

The President, who said he could not ignore WikiLeaks because his name had been mentioned, added that there was no iota of truth in what the whistleblower reported about him and his wife. He also implied that he did not believe the criticisms that one of his aides reportedly made against him in the cables.

“The issue of WikiLeaks is like beer parlour gossip. It claimed that my wife was arrested with $13.5m at Lagos airport. You cannot ignore it if your name is mentioned, but you can not say that because WikiLeaks says something you must castigate that person. I am thinking people have different kinds of WikiLeaks.”

President Jonathan who further said that the endless bloodletting in Jos, the Plateau State capital, was not in any way connected to religion, however, noted that he would not rule out the fact religion played a role in it.

While stressing that no human being, Christian or Muslim, had the power to kill the other, he added that the use of force would be counter-productive in ensuring peace in the state.

He said, “The problem in Jos is not between religious groups. But it (religion) is now playing a role. Religious difference is like a wind that spreads the fire. Nobody has the power to kill, either you are a Christian or a Muslim. Enforcing the law doesn’t bring peace in any place until the people themselves agree to have peace and that is what we want to achieve. We are meeting with the governor of the state and the Chief of Defence Staff on Tuesday.”

According to him, there will soon be an improvement in the power sector. However, he said he would not disclose the megawatts to be produced or the amount to be injected to revive the ailing sector.

Jonathan also said the Federal Government was deeply worried by the security problems dogging the country, but assured Nigerians that the problems would decrease.

“No doubt, the security challenges discourage investors from coming into the country to invest. I can assure Nigerians that the problems will continue to decrease. Both the police, SSS and the military are doing a lot of work and they are up to the task,” he said.

On the issue of a convocation of a Sovereign National Conference as being clamoured by some Nigerians, the President said he supported an avenue where Nigerians could discuss.

He said, “Yes, of course, I support that Nigerians must discuss. Nigerians have been discussing. I have asked the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to look into the requests of Nigerians. We are going to set up a committee.

“The areas that are still controversial, we will look at it. We will always encourage discussion because people should have the opportunity to talk. It is when people do not discuss that there is a problem.”

Speaking on the issue of corruption, he said his government would not stop indicted officials from being prosecuted.

“Nigerians have elected me for four years. They should watch what will happen in that direction,” he stated.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109132465228
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 13, 2011
Before nko?
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by noblegas2(m): 5:14am On Sep 13, 2011
Noted!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Richtalk: 5:57am On Sep 13, 2011
One quality of a great leader!!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by deluxecad(m): 6:16am On Sep 13, 2011
I support the single tenure proposition. I just want the president to be more forceful or emphatic, he has enormous power available to him as the Commander-in-Chief.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by mattfeuter(m): 6:35am On Sep 13, 2011
deluxecad:

I support the single tenure proposition. I just want the president to be more forceful or emphatic, he has enormous power available to him as the Commander-in-Chief.

You forgot, of the Armed forces
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by slimyem: 7:20am On Sep 13, 2011
same old, same old.we await new,
Btw,Kay johnson or whatever,u have become a nuisance on this forum and i bet u nobody even bothers to read the trash you post on these threads anymore.u are BORING.go find a life
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by kulutempa: 7:22am On Sep 13, 2011
Rather shallow justification for the single term.  So if a politician completes his  6 year term, what is to stop the candidates who are jockeying to replace him,  to engage in pre election violence and "heat up the polity"?  Does that not mean that the cycle of  political unrest and instability would merely be shifted from every 4  years to 6 years? If incumbents will do everything to make sure they win re-election, as he claims,  how come Akala did not win in Oyo state?   This man needs to undertake a refresher course in logic and critical thinking.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by ziccoit: 7:28am On Sep 13, 2011
I wished he would want to re-contest in 2015. That would have been good and PDP, the Nigeria nightmare would have been pushed into its grave and Nigerians would have been freed for once.

Who is coming in 2015 is not the problem but which party and people will sponsor the guy. God help Nigeria from PDP.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by OmoTier1(m): 7:57am On Sep 13, 2011
oh, what an accidental President! Reasons given to butress his propsals are so vague and unconvincing!

One question I kept asking myself while watching the interview yesterday was simply this:IS THIS HOW LOW LEADERSHIP IN NIGERIA CAN GET OR SHOULD WE EXPECT IT TO DESCEND MUCH LOWER?

90% answers GEJ gave throughtout the interview did not reflect of someone who is the C-in-C,it was more like a beer palour talk for goodness sake! No specifics, no action plan/date, was always we will, are looking into, ontop of the situation,blah blah,  I expected to hear comments that send reassuring hope and resurrecting believe into the average Nigerian!

Still, I pray GEJ succeed!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by jpphilips(m): 8:02am On Sep 13, 2011
As the story goes:
Action!!
President promises single term of 4yrs and gets elected.
He proposes single term of 7yrs, 2 terms equals 8yrs but he wants only single term lol
Who is fooling who?
And cut!!!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by reindeer: 8:03am On Sep 13, 2011
Dont waste your breath @omo tier1
While you were waiting for intelligent answers, his apologists were eagerly swallowing the idiocy he was vomiting.
People really get the government they deserve.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 8:06am On Sep 13, 2011
Kay johnson or john daughter or whatsoever you called yourself.this is not advertising section for God sake.am bored with all this rubbish you are pasting on every thread.you are just a nuisance here.pls stop all this and go to advertising section.
@topic.
They should not include governor into the six years single term and they should not start now,cause enduring under some of this governors who dont care of about the workers but are only concern about their pocket and the house of assembly whose job is only to say I SUPPORT,will not really be ok and will be an xtra time of looting for them.and that will be an xtra time in hell for people under them too.thou i strongly agree with the president reason for this.the four years is too short but let's consider the side effect also,this can only be possible where we have people contesting because of their service to this nation and not where most of the politicians are after their pot bellies.
NIGERIA GREAT PEOPLE,GREAT NATION,BAD LEADERS.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 13, 2011
No be only six yes na 10yrs u for ask. Do achieve something first and stop saying story. Always saying he's ontop of every situation. Nothing is being done about corruption. Bad leader.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Demdem(m): 8:34am On Sep 13, 2011
OAM4J:

President Goodluck Jonathan said on Monday that the criticisms that trailed his proposed six-year single term had not made him to regret his action.

Mr President, i thought u said you didnt initiate it in the first instance undecided undecided

While maintaining that four years were too short, the President urged his critics to wait for the bill which he said he had not even forwarded to the National Assembly.

With due Respect Mr President, can u kindly shhhhaaarrrap. FOUR years is more than enough to get us kicking big time and by the way u will definately be using more than four yrs  by the end of your tenure in 2015. This statement of urs is irresponsible. Now, useless governors are saying the same.

President Jonathan who further said that the endless bloodletting in Jos, the Plateau State capital, was not in any way connected to religion, however, noted that he would not rule out the fact religion played a role in it.

Honestly Mr President, just admit you are clueless about what to do about this issue. You have no solution. It has dragged for so long? Save us all these rhetorics and resign ok.

According to him, there will soon be an improvement in the power sector. However, he said he would not disclose the megawatts to be produced or the amount to be injected to revive the ailing sector.

We av been hearing this for ages now. You wont disclose because u honestly dont know. You are definately not in charge. why cant you just admit to Nigerians or better still refer us to Okonjo (your prime minister). i know she will be in better position to tell us

Jonathan also said the Federal Government was deeply worried by the security problems dogging the country, but assured Nigerians that the problems would decrease.

Na today.

On the issue of a convocation of a Sovereign National Conference as being clamoured by some Nigerians, the President said he supported an avenue where Nigerians could discuss.

He said, “Yes, of course, I support that Nigerians must discuss. Nigerians have been discussing. I have asked the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to look into the requests of Nigerians. We are going to set up a committee.

SNC is what we need. lets discuss the foundation of this country. if we want to be together not. NASS cant give us that. Your PDP cohorts in the NASS has never had the interest of the people so u are wrong that we have been talking. The bulk of the discussions there are for themselves. This shouldnt be too dificult for a PHD holder like u. i know u will nevr converge an SNC becos u dont have such BALLS

Speaking on the issue of corruption, he said his government would not stop indicted officials from being prosecuted.

but when notin is done to indict them nko? Get an external auditor inside NNPC and The ffl ministries (petroleum, power, works and housing, presidency etc) then u will understand that Nigerians have re-defined the defination of corruption. to be honest, u are simply not sincere about corruption. Just like your days in Bayelsa, likewise u have imported into the federal level.

“Nigerians have elected me for four years. They should watch what will happen in that direction,” he stated.

We've started counting since May 2010 when to us your Presidency strarted. so far, its been Failure Galore. You can still redeem ursef though.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109132465228
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by kulutempa: 9:21am On Sep 13, 2011
The key questions Mr President should answer for all Nigerians who voted for him is this:

1. How can an elected steward of the people, fail to give an account of his stewardship?
2. What do you call democracy without re-election?

Over to you Mr President.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by friedrice1: 9:30am On Sep 13, 2011
I pity Nigerians, Deceived again with rehearsed questions and Answers in less than 30 minutes
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 13, 2011
This six-year single tenure thingy is really getting on my nerves. For the love of God, is this what we need now? Shouldn't this President forget about such ephemeral issues for now and focus on the task of governance? Shouldn't he convoke a Sovereign National Conference where this issue, among others, will be discussed?

In my opinion, not only should we not have a fixed single tenure for executives, we shouldn't even be using the Presidential system. Had we been using the parliamentary system, we would have told our parliament  to pass a vote of no confidence on his government a long time ago. *hiss*
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by twinstaiye(m): 9:44am On Sep 13, 2011
Didnt they say Nigeria is difficult to rule? Here is a man who had been there even before he was elected, he is saying from his little experience, single term is better and that the moment a politician is swear in to an office, all in his mind is the second term, the urge to do what he is elected for is not the priority, and all he will do is to do his work with the second term at the back of his mind. He was elected to work, and to me, since we are not the same, we should not expect him to do everybody bids. Meanwhile, he appears to become the President of this country when Nigeria was in the middle of internet literacy, so this criticisms should be understandable.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by kulutempa: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2011
twinstaiye:

Didnt they say Nigeria is difficult to rule?  Here is a man who had been there even before he was elected, he is saying from his little experience, single term is better and that the moment a politician is swear in to an office, all in his mind is the second term, the urge to do what he is elected for is not the priority, and all he will do is to do his work with the second term at the back of his mind.  He was elected to work, and to me, since we are not the same, we should not expect him to do everybody bids.  Meanwhile, he appears to become the President of this country when Nigeria was in the middle of internet literacy, so this criticisms should be understandable.

Really?   If a politician delivers on his promises to the electorate, he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected.  His deeds would speak for him.  That is the difference between Fashola who was re-elected, and Akala, who wasn't, despite devoting all of his waking hours to bagging a second term.    Only unserious politicians and leaders would come up with such claptrap.  If GEJ dramatically transforms Nigeria during his tenure, I would personally campaign for his re-election.   The single term tenure is an excuse for lazy and good for nothing politicians to remain in power.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by queensmith: 10:06am On Sep 13, 2011
erm everything about this article is soo wrong 'i weep'
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by JaaizTech: 10:08am On Sep 13, 2011
twinstaiye:

Didnt they say Nigeria is difficult to rule?  Here is a man who had been there even before he was elected, he is saying from his little experience, single term is better and that the moment a politician is swear in to an office, all in his mind is the second term, the urge to do what he is elected for is not the priority, and all he will do is to do his work with the second term at the back of his mind.  He was elected to work, and to me, since we are not the same, we should not expect him to do everybody bids.  Meanwhile, he appears to become the President of this country when Nigeria was in the middle of internet literacy, so this criticisms should be understandable.

Sadly, the Presidency is yet to understand the concept behind party democracy. In the real sense we don't vote for individuals, we vote for the party, because an individual alone, can't be saddled with the responsibility to lead his country, it has to be a group of people (party), with common goals and agenda but of course with a leader and a figure accepted by the people (i.e Mr. President). Mr. President also needs to realise that his party has ruled this country for 12 years and with another 4 years in the bag, yet we are still struggling to find our feet; so what guarantees that a 6-year tenure with no need to care for accountability will be of any good

6-year single tenure is not the answer, but a strong party system and ideological party system is the answer, Lagos has made some comparable progress, because when Fashola took over, He continued from where Tinubu stopped, their ideas were similar, that is what having the same party in government brings; but in the case of PDP, political posts are individualised, like now GEJ's policy on agriculture is remarkably a big shift from his predecessors (don't get me wrong I agree with him 100% on this); Yar'adua's policy were very different from Obasanjo's. Infact Yar'adua's tenure was just unwinding the turns Obasanjo had made. So Mr. President, assuming you have your way and Mr. A gets a 6 year term and drives us in the direction of privatisation, and Mr. B from the same party gets another 6 year term drives us in the opposite direction because He is of another opinion, we would never grow.

We need to focus on building a strong ideological party base, and the best way to achieve that sir, is to ensure that 2015 elections is free and fairer than 2011, that way people can start to gain more confidence in the system, politicians would focus less on money politics but ideological politics; because they can't buy all the people, but can win the people more easily with better ideas; parties will now be formed based on ideology and not based individual interests.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by JaaizTech: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2011
kulutempa:

Really?   If a politician delivers on his promises to the electorate, he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected.  His deeds would speak for him.  That is the difference between Fashola who was re-elected, and Akala, who wasn't, despite devoting all of his waking hours to bagging a second term.    Only unserious politicians and leaders would come up with such claptrap.  If GEJ dramatically transforms Nigeria during his tenure, I would personally campaign for his re-election.   The single term tenure is an excuse for lazy and good for nothing politicians to remain in power.
KPOM. You have said it all
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:28am On Sep 13, 2011
you are the best GEJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by otokx(m): 10:48am On Sep 13, 2011
Another diversionary talk
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by splitnaija(m): 11:12am On Sep 13, 2011
Sorry, no time to read GEJ's rhetorics anymore because I hear another bomb is about going off in my neighbourhood. I'm running for cover now!!! Good luck Naija.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by Johnsinia(m): 12:41pm On Sep 13, 2011
splitnaija:

Sorry, no time to read GEJ's rhetorics anymore because I hear another bomb is about going off in my neighbourhood. I'm running for cover now!!! Good luck Naija.
abeg run o,life no get duplicate but how are u sure sef that were u are running to is nt the target.
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by omo9ja1(m): 12:41pm On Sep 13, 2011
hmmm another story again

why did the president did not speedily recover the masses why tenure preposition first , i smell selfishless here
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by PointB: 1:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
OAM4J:

President Goodluck Jonathan said on Monday that the criticisms that trailed his proposed six-year single term had not made him to regret his action. The President also described the United State Government cables released by whistleblower, WikiLeaks, as “beer parlour gossips”.

Well said Mr. President. Indeed it's only drunks (at beer palours) that will believe someone can stuff $13.5 million in a woman bank even though the highest denomination of dollars in normal circulation is $100.  I laugh in wikileaks.

Jonathan, who spoke during a Presidential Media Chat, in Abuja added that he was a leader committed to the transformation of the country.
Such commitment is evident in the caliber of people co-opted as key minister. I will lose faith if the start leaving.

He said, “I have no regret over the single term proposal. It is to stabilise the polity. Tell me the country that will stabilise its economy without first stabilising its polity? Some analysts say it is corruption that is the country’s problem. But some (also) say from 1960 till date, we have not got any stable polity. I am not saying single tenure alone will bring about a stable polity. But (it is good) because of the circumstances we have in the country now, and in order to reduce tension. “If you elect somebody today as a chairman of a council or a governor, he will do everything to make sure he wins re-election. Within the party, he will want to get a structure that will favour him. That is the first problem we normally have. For them to work with people at the party, this issue of second term should be jettisoned because politics is built on the structures of the party.”

He said transformation could be painful but any leader who wished his country well would not be weighed down by criticisms.

According to him, the proposal is aimed at stabilising the polity against the political unrest usually witnessed every four years.

“Even in that report, we said seven years. My thinking is that seven years for president, seven years for governor and six years for the national assembly. I think four years are too short; six years better. I have not submitted any bill to the National Assembly. Before people comment on it, they should see the bill. People are only feasting on rumours,” he said.

Even though we have not tried it before, we are willing to try new things and ways of reducing politically induced instability. Let's go there!

The President, who said he could not ignore WikiLeaks because his name had been mentioned, added that there was no iota of truth in what the whistleblower reported about him and his wife. He also implied that he did not believe the criticisms that one of his aides reportedly made against him in the cables.

“The issue of WikiLeaks is like beer parlour gossip. It claimed that my wife was arrested with $13.5m at Lagos airport. You cannot ignore it if your name is mentioned, but you can not say that because WikiLeaks says something you must castigate that person. I am thinking people have different kinds of WikiLeaks.”
The thing with Wikileaks is that some of the revelations are true and some are false. I personally dont believe that someone can stuff $13.5 million in a handbag. So wikileaks is off the track here.

While stressing that no human being, Christian or Muslim, had the power to kill the other, he added that the use of force would be counter-productive in ensuring peace in the state.

He said, “The problem in Jos is not between religious groups. But it (religion) is now playing a role. Religious difference is like a wind that spreads the fire. Nobody has the power to kill, either you are a Christian or a Muslim. Enforcing the law doesn’t bring peace in any place until the people themselves agree to have peace and that is what we want to achieve. We are meeting with the governor of the state and the Chief of Defence Staff on Tuesday.”

Mr. President, the once peaceful land of Jos has become an albatross and a slaughter land. We need action. Maybe the shoot at sight order will bring some sanity.

Well Mr. President we understand that investors complain of low tariff   and consumers  are protesting high tariff without any meaningful improvement hence the slow response to the privatization drive. We accept the fact that government may have to fund new power stations while waiting for private investors to come with systematic increase in tariff to optimum price that will satisfy both consumer and supplier.  Not easy to balance.

“No doubt, the security challenges discourage investors from coming into the country to invest. I can assure Nigerians that the problems will continue to decrease. Both the police, SSS and the military are doing a lot of work and they are up to the task,” he said.

Nuff said on this open sore. Unfortunately, those who dont like your government will continue to create distraction for u. Containment should be the strategy now, as elimination is a long term project since Al Qaeda has joined the fray!

“The areas that are still controversial, we will look at it. We will always encourage discussion because people should have the opportunity to talk. It is when people do not discuss that there is a problem.”

The sooner we talk the better. MEND has demonstrated it ability to handle explosive to maximum effect, OPC dane guns can easily be upgraded to AK47 or even AK2011, MASSOB might be peaceful, but don't forget Igbo boys can import nuclear bombs if they want (or manufacture one should they wish). I dont think the Middle belt are with the North or with anyone for that matter. So please lets talk quick before the big guns start blazing. Boko haram (North) does not have monopoly of violence.

lol, you dont have to tell us to watch you. You are the most watched president ever since your lucky days as Bayelsa Deputy Governor.   grin grin grin grin grin grin[quote][/quote]
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by mattfeuter(m): 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2011
Transformation!!!
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by mustspin: 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2011
Even in that report, we said seven years. My thinking is that seven years for president, seven years for governor and six years for the national assembly. I think four years are too short; six years better. I have not submitted any bill to the National Assembly. Before people comment on it, they should see the bill. People are only feasting on rumours,” he said.

shocked shocked shocked shocked. why not 42yrs so that te transformation can be complete and you break gadafi's record
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition by rocean: 6:23pm On Sep 13, 2011
Re: GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition

(1) (2) (Reply)

Freedom Of Information Act Is Not Applicable In Lagos –lagos State Govt. / Live Election Result From Some States / Funny Pictures Of Father Christmas...............laugh It Out..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.