Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,207 members, 7,807,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? (9257 Views)

When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? / Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 12:05pm On Sep 13, 2011
I am just wondering, when did your dad stopped giving you money?

As for me, my dad washed his hands off my financial predicaments the moment i graduated from university.

Given the situation in the Nigerian economy, is it fair for your parents (especially the ones that are having) to completely abandon you to your financial challenges and even pressure you to move from their house and get a life cry

The day i moved for my NYSC, i moved out of my parents life. Thank GOD i pay my bills today but it is not always the case for some people. Life is hard in Nigeria especially if you've lived both in Nigeria and any other developed country. I was lucky to get my life going at a tender age, but i still feel that parents of nowadays should support their children more. School is not just enough.

Anyway, whats your take? tell us your story grin (was your dad a skunk? hehehe grin lipsrsealed)
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by jayron(m): 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2011
I know this kind of question people would not like to reply, cos their conscience will continue to judge them (some still rely on their parents)

In my own case, when my father first stopped giving me money in year 2001, it was like the end had come.
He woke me up at mid night and said "he wanted me to become man of my own". He wanted me to learn how to source for money and plan for it even though had not gotten it. These were his words then.

It was hard, i mean very very hard to start. When i collected my first salary, i give it to him to pray for me n he shd take any amount he wanted, he laughed n said no. He wanted me to start new life with it (how much was it then N6,000 oh what a poor boy)

His words made me what i am today, i used that money to convert our story to a room for myself, i bought foam, rug, tv n panasonic radio pots n stove n other things.

From there i managed my money, time n life.

To God be the glory, it works fine for me to day (u know what i mean)
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Outstrip(f): 1:27pm On Sep 13, 2011
My parents never gave me money
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2011
jayron:

I know this kind of question people would not like to reply, cos their conscience will continue to judge them (some still rely on their parents)

In my own case, when my father first stopped giving me money in year 2001, it was like the end had come.
He woke me up at mid night and said "he wanted me to become man of my own". He wanted me to learn how to source for money and plan for it even though had not gotten it. These were his words then.

It was hard, i mean very very hard to start. When i collected my first salary, i give it to him to pray for me n he shd take any amount he wanted, he laughed n said no. He wanted me to start new life with it (how much was it then N6,000 oh what a poor boy)

His words made me what i am today, i used that money to convert our story to a room for myself, i bought foam, rug, tv n panasonic radio pots n stove n other things.

From there i managed my money, time n life.

To God be the glory, it works fine for me to day (u know what i mean)

nice one. i guess you were already out of school before this happened.

Outstrip:

My parents never gave me money

shocked shocked
Nobody will believe that. cool There must be a time you depended on your parents for coins.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by obowunmi(m): 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2011
I started managing my father's business at age 15 --- stopped receiving money directly since then BUT monetary gifts come in once in a while. Which I don't use personally but pay it forward to other people.

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 3:27pm On Sep 13, 2011
obowunmi:

I started managing my father's business at age 15 --- stopped receiving money directly since then BUT monetary gifts come in once in a while. Which I don't use personally but pay it forward to other people.

shocked shocked shocked do you really mean 'managing" or "getting involved"??

anyway, you're a lucky chap. My dad never got us involved in his "precious" business talkless of managing. It's so sad now because non of us appears to be interested in his manufacturing business anymore.
Good for you, your dad is family-oriented.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Outstrip(f): 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2011
27naira:

nice one. i guess you were already out of school before this happened.

shocked shocked
Nobody will believe that. cool There must be a time you depended on your parents for coins.

They don't have to believe. My parents did not believe in giving kids money. I was 16 when I got my first job. The way my parents saw it was anything I needed they already got it for me. My parents never handed me money. When I got in college my dad actually bought me a laptop and it felt strange to me. I felt it ashould be my responsibility.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 3:44pm On Sep 13, 2011
Outstrip:

They don't have to believe. My parents did not believe in giving kids money. I was 16 when I got my first job. The way my parents saw it was anything I needed they already got it for me. My parents never handed me money. When I got in college my dad actually bought me a laptop and it felt strange to me. I felt it ashould be my responsibility.

Wow!

Thats cool but don't get me wrong, i aint contending what you said. In essence, you started making your own money from age 16 right?

Thats just about the age for a freshman in college. Now, when you where in high school, didnt you ever get tips and stipends for hair pins, taxi fares, chocolate and "being a good girl with good grades"? when you said you never got money from your parents, you're blowing it out of proportion.

Anyway, kudos to your independent spirit, I like girls like you. wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by ronkebp(f): 3:51pm On Sep 13, 2011
@ Poster, when i got married, my dad stopped giving me money, cry,
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 4:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
ronkebp:

@ Poster, when i got married, my dad stopped giving me money, cry,

shocked shocked

Daddy's girl.

I hope your "oga" is meeting up. By the way, when did you start earning your own money?
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by ronkebp(f): 5:26pm On Sep 13, 2011
27naira:

shocked shocked

Daddy's girl.

I hope your "oga" is meeting up. By the way, when did you start earning your own money?

oh yes, i earn my own money, oga is trying his best but i do not personally depend on him, i started working immediately after my service, and am still working. no play at all!!! wink wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 5:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
ronkebp:

oh yes, i earn my own money, oga is trying his best but i do not personally depend on him, i started working immediately after my service, and am still working. no play at all!!! wink wink

May you live long! cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 5:31pm On Sep 13, 2011
It seems our men are still on daddy's stipend. cry

The ladies are taking the lead.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Outstrip(f): 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2011
27naira:

Wow!

Thats cool but don't get me wrong, i aint contending what you said. In essence, you started making your own money from age 16 right?

Thats just about the age for a freshman in college. Now, when you where in high school, didnt you ever get tips and stipends for hair pins, taxi fares, chocolate and "being a good girl with good grades"? when you said you never got money from your parents, you're blowing it out of proportion.

Anyway, kudos to your independent spirit, I like girls like you. wink

Nope. Did not get anything for birthdays, christmas, good grades. I was just expected to get good grades. i remember I got a book once for coming top 10. A freaking book LOL. When I look back though I realize that it just made me not ever want what everybody had. If I did nothave it and everybody else did it never even occured to me.  We are 5 kids  and it was the last two that actually got spoiled a little. When they misbehave we remnd my parents that they caused it. We just did not get things like that and it never occured to me that it was strange or different. We were not allowed to use public transport and chocolate for that matter was practically band in our home. If an uncle or aunty bought any fr us my mother would line us up before we even swalloed the last piece so she can brush our teeth. You could not even enjoy the chocolate. Bottom line is I think sometimes you do not miss what you never had so I never felt like I was deprived
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2011
Outstrip:

Nope. Did not get anything for birthdays, christmas, good grades. I was just expected to get good grades. i remember I got a book once for coming top 10. A freaking book LOL. When I look back though I realize that it just made me not ever want what everybody had. If I did nothave it and everybody else did it never even occured to me.  We are 5 kids  and it was the last two that actually got spoiled a little. When they misbehave we remnd my parents that they caused it. We just did not get things like that and it never occured to me that it was strange or different. We were not allowed to use public transport and chocolate for that matter was practically band in our home. If an uncle or aunty bought any fr us my mother would line us up before we even swalloed the last piece so she can brush our teeth. You could not even enjoy the chocolate. Bottom line is I think sometimes you do not miss what you never had so I never felt like I was deprived

I can't agree less. wink whenever you see your mum, give her a hug for me cheesy
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by blank(f): 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2011
My daddy gave me money until i started working. Even then, he used to give me one or two things. Even when i just got married, he gave my husband and i a sizeable amount of money as "settlement" and still paid for my masters and living expenses there. I like that and want to do same for my daughters. But boys, no way. U start hustling as soon as u fininsh NYSC. angry

I was am a daddy's girl. Can't apologize to anyone.

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 13, 2011
Hmmm! My Daddy still gives me money cry cry
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2011
blank:

My daddy gave me money until i started working. Even then, he used to give me one or two things. Even when i just got married, he gave my husband and i a sizeable amount of money as "settlement" and still paid for my masters and living expenses there. I like that and want to do same for my daughters. But boys, no way. U start hustling as soon as u fininsh NYSC.  angry

I was am a daddy's girl. Can't apologize to anyone.

shocked shocked shocked shocked you dad "settled" you and your husband?? WOW!
you husband must be a very lucky chap. BUT i think you were alittle over-pampered  wink

I think the woman-folk need alittle more protection from parents than the male-folks. So, it will be right for you to do same to your daughters.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 6:53pm On Sep 13, 2011
Strides:

Hmmm! My Daddy still gives me money cry cry

hehe grin

Is not a bad thing. I bet you're still in school or don't have a job yet, so its understandable.

I bet your boyfriend doesnt have to dodge your calls grin
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Outstrip(f): 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2011
27naira:

hehe grin

Is not a bad thing. I bet you're still in school or don't have a job yet, so its understandable.

I bet your boyfriend doesnt have to dodge your calls grin

That statement kind of turned me off. Maybe it is this giving money that makes girls think it is okay to ask boyfriends for money. I see it specifically with Nigerian girls. None of my American friends do it and when it happened those girls would have every intention of paying back LOL.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by r231(m): 6:59pm On Sep 13, 2011
Left Nigeria after secondary school and that was the last time they gave me money

Started working in Burger king at the age 17 to support myself

obviously i got grant and student loan for UNI that time
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 7:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
Outstrip:

That statement kind of turned me off. Maybe it is this giving money that makes girls think it is okay to ask boyfriends for money. I see it specifically with Nigerian girls. None of my American friends do it and when it happened those girls would have every intention of paying back LOL.

It is obvious that exposure brings alot of changes, in contest, you feel totally responsible for yourself which is a good thing. It's sad that our sisters back home don't share the same belief. The "boyfriends" have to pick the bills otherwise, "what are they there for?"

I seriously dig your comment. Kudos
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
r231:

Left Nigeria after secondary school and that was the last time they gave me money

Started working in Burger king at the age 17 to support myself

obviously i got grant and student loan for UNI that time
Bros grin

Thats the case of many brothers out there. I never had to work making pancakes but i was lucky to get a graduate research assistanceship.
you're the man wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
27naira link=topic=758635.msg9139862#msg9139862 date=1315936388]
hehe  grin

I bet your boyfriend doesnt have to dodge your calls  grin
[quote][/quote]pls y ar u bringing the issue of bf now! I thought the topic is on a father angry embarassed
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 9:54pm On Sep 13, 2011
pls y ar u bringing the issue of bf now! I thought the topic is on a father angry embarassed

embarassed No vex! na side comment. just kidding.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2011
^Its ok, bt pls lets stick to the topic smiley cheers!
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by YoruIgbo(m): 3:09am On Sep 14, 2011
What a question? When did your dad stopped giving you money? grin grin Why not ask 'is your father rich or poor?' Once in a while I get freebies from my Dad each time deliver a good piece of work even though I don't work for him, My father inlaw too in fact I dey chop money from both of them if need be

2 Likes

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 3:49am On Sep 14, 2011
My mom still does. . . . undecided
Even tho I have enough of my own from schooling. She believes its the best way to keep me, me of all ppl, from sticking with a guy because of money angry Funny sha because it works tongue

I wonder when she's going to close our joint acct, maybe after  I have my first baby?  undecided
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 5:29am On Sep 14, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

What a question? When did your dad stopped giving you money? grin grin Why not ask 'is your father rich or poor?' Once in a while I get freebies from my Dad each time deliver a good piece of work even though I don't work for him, My father inlaw too in fact I dey chop money from both of them if need be

hmm. You mean you're now gaining from both ends? ( dad and dad-inlaw).
Lucky you! smiley Apparently, daddy's support is still very strong in your life. Nice one though

Ileke-IdI:

My mom still does. . . . undecided
Even tho I have enough of my own from schooling. She believes its the best way to keep me, me of all ppl, from sticking with a guy because of money angry Funny sha because it works tongue

I wonder when she's going to close our joint acct, maybe after  I have my first baby?  undecided

I asked about dad, because mum hardly stops especially with the ladies wink
I think her motive is right. Are you working? If not, enjoy the support while it lasts, she's doing the right thing.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by buzcenter: 6:02am On Sep 14, 2011
when i start giving other money , that is when i stop collecting from my parent,the day you stop collecting money from your parent you become Real man

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 14, 2011
My dad still gives me money for fuel anytime i go and visit him.
I have a decent job, a husband and kids but he does it out of love, i guess.

As for me i would give my kids money until they can get a decent job.
Heck, i might even support them still if the job is not a high paying one.

3 Likes

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Syenite(m): 7:15am On Sep 14, 2011
My parents washed their hands off me financialy when I left the house for NYSC.

Then the Federal allowee was N6,500 and the state Govt paid N5,500. I was running two coaching classes: one was paying me N2,000/month and the other N4,000/month.My total monthly take home then was N18,000. I was a bigger boy among my fellow corpers then cos N18,000 in year 2004 was still good money.

I left NYSC with about N80,000 in my account. That was the money I lived on while searching for job: browsing, buying of tuesday Guardian, attending aptitude tests and interviews, printing of CVs and photocopying my credentials, making phone calls to people I believed could connect me with jobs etc.

I spent the last Kobo from it just a day before I resumed my first Job. This made my elder brother to support me with transport fare for the 1st month I worked before collecting salary.This was a contract job and then lasted only 1month.I was paid -off with N20,000 with several uncertainties in my mind about my lively-hood for the next weeks and months.

The next day after being paid-off by the bank i got an interview call by an oil servicing firm.I got the Job and resumed exactly 1month after I left the Bank. That was when I started supporting my parents till date.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bombshell As Fertility Study In Nigeria Shows Male Infertility Rates Higher / LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS / Her Husband Wants Her Back Home!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.