Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? (7748 Views)

Photos Of Aliko Dangote's $30M House In Abuja / Photos: Inside Africa's Richest Man Dangote's $30m Abuja Mansion / Court Extradites Chiedo Nzeocha To US Over $30m Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by ak47mann(m): 11:46am On Sep 14, 2011
‘mark, Bankole Got $30m Monthly Kickback From Nnpc’

Senate President David Mark and former Speaker of the House of Representatives Dimeji Bankole were monthly receiving $30 million each from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) during the late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua’s administration, a leaked confidential US diplomatic cable published by Wikileaks said.

The cable quoted Nigerian former Ambassador to the United Nations Maitama Sule as saying that Yar’Adua turned down approximately $60 million which had been offered to him by the NNPC as the President’s personal “share” of the nation’s monthly oil.

Sule, according to the cable, alleged that the NNPC, right from Obasanjo’s administration, allocated USD 1.00 per barrel of oil sold as a type of personal payment or “kickback” to the President.

“While Yar’Adua ordered his “share” to be deposited into the nation’s treasury, First Lady Tura’i Yar’adua pocketed her husband’s reported share, while Senate President David Mark and House Speaker Dimeji Bankole pocketed USD 0.50/barrel (e.g., $30 million)” the cable quoted Sule as revealing.

“In light of the possibility that Obasanjo could have stolen billions of dollars under this arrangement, Sule told PolOff that Yar’Adua told him that he may use this information, perhaps one day in the near future, to indict Obasanjo for corruption.

“The problem however, according to Sule, rested in the fact that Yar’Adua recognized that if he were to pursue Obasanjo, he may unwittingly subject his wife and close advisers to greater scrutiny, and risk his own political survival”, the cable added. When contacted by Daily Trust to comment on the allegation that he told the American intelligence cable in 2008 that former President Obasanjo had one dollar for every barrel of crude oil produced in Nigeria as kickback, Sule said he “could not remember having said so”.

He said he did not say so “since I know nothing about oil industry because I did not work there and have no business whatsoever with Nigeria’s oil sector”.

Sule, who now holds the traditional title of Danmasanin Kano, added that it is only those in government that could know government secret and how things are being run there.

Reacting to a leaked confidential US diplomatic cable published by Wikileaks, the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division of the NNPC, Dr Levi Ajuonuma told Daily Trust on phone that the allegation was nonsense and ridiculous.

“No Senate President or Speaker has ever received anything as kickback from the Corporation. It is just concocted and baseless”, he added.

Senate President David Mark yesterday denied reports credited to the Wikileaks that he and some other top government officials received the sum of $30m monthly as kickback from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) in 2007.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity Kola Ologbondiyan, Mark said he could not believe that Alhaji Maitama Sule, an elder statesman, would have made the statements ascribed to him by the United States of America (USA) former Ambassador, Robin Sanders, as contained in the Wikileaks.

He described the allegation as “malicious, spurious, wicked and mere fabrication of a mind that is fertile in mischief.

“I have no knowledge of any kickback or proceed from the NNPC neither did I, at any time, in concert with the late President Umaru Musa YarAdua; his wife, Turai and the former House of Representatives Speaker, Hon. Dimeji Sabur Bankole, engaged in corrupt practices or receive kickback of $30 million.”

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27734:mark-bankole-got-30m-monthly-kickback-from-nnpc&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Gbawe: 1:49pm On Sep 14, 2011
The same NNPC (the clearing house of corruption) GEJ has now handed our refineries to ? "Fresh air" indeed. I really don't know when Nigerians will understand that functional Nations are not built on 'goodluck' .
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by jamace(m): 2:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
Wow!! shocked shocked undecided undecided
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by dustydee: 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2011
Gbawe:

The same NNPC (the clearing house of corruption) GEJ has now handed our refineries to ? "Fresh air" indeed. I really don't know when Nigerians will understand that functional Nations are not built on 'goodluck' .
But hardwork.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by CyberG: 3:16pm On Sep 14, 2011
Maybe the $57 M with which Yaradua bought the election at the Supreme Court was taken from this $ 60 M? Otherwise, what will make Yaradua directly withdraw money from NNPC?
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Gbawe: 4:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
dustydee:

But hardwork.

Indeed, my brother. Everything has to be predicated on merit and "hardwork". We are being unambitious and recidivist when we concede the future of our children , and generations unborn, into undoubtedly mediocre hands. Prayers or blind hope will not turn a mediocre politician , who could not make a mark as a Governor, into the President Nigeria really needs. We have seen this already with Yar Adua.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Pukkah: 4:20pm On Sep 14, 2011
Unfortunately, these stories are just hearsay and could be denied by anyone. Nonetheless, the accounts of NNPC should be thoroughly investigated and audited. It is not possible to dish out such sums every month without leaving a trail.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Gbawe: 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
Pukkah:

Unfortunately, these stories are just hearsay and could be denied by anyone. Nonetheless, the accounts of NNPC should be thoroughly investigated and audited. It is not possible to dish out such sums every month without leaving a trail.

I too doubt the amount touted . Nonetheless, and without any shadow of doubt, the NNPC is hideously corrupt. This is why most view it as the clearing house of corruption. One has to wonder , other than a desire to satisfy AGIP buddies like Otedola, why GEJ would direct the NNPC to turn around our refineries in 24 months !!! Who would ask a stark illiterate to teach their child applied physics for a very important must-pass examination?
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by jjjkkkooo: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2011
How will Sule now says he cant remember saying all that as if its a small issue?
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by 144(m): 11:04pm On Sep 14, 2011
this is serious
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Beaf: 11:18pm On Sep 14, 2011
Pukkah:

Unfortunately, these stories are just hearsay and could be denied by anyone.  Nonetheless, the accounts of NNPC should be thoroughly investigated and audited.  It is not possible to dish out such sums every month without leaving a trail.

It damn well is! cool

This is the way it went in the past;
[list]
[li]Shell drill's Bleep barrels of oil[/li]
[li]Nigeria id!ot official "asks" Shell, "how many barrels did you drill?"[/li]
[li]Shell replies yyy (and with a wink, "there's also a ship filling up on the high sea's, you could send some barrels too you know")[/li]
[li]Shell passes brown envelope under the table[/li]
[li]Nigerian official collects and calls his oil bunkering gangs to proceed with "business"[/li]
[li]Everybody is happy, while the masses groan in penury[/li]
[/list]

Perhaps, you will now understand why people are so ready to derail the current govt with boko haram and whatnot, the bitter fight against Deziani Allison Madueke etc; its because their cosy pipes for sucking the nations blood have been broken forever.
Today, every last barrel of oil is accounted for, accounting practises and security have been tremendously beefed up at all lifting stations. It will take years and concerted effort to clear the hoodlums out of powerful places in Nigeria. GEJ has his job cut out.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by mitofag: 11:23pm On Sep 14, 2011
“The problem however, according to Sule, rested in the fact that Yar’Adua recognized that if he were to pursue Obasanjo, he may unwittingly subject his wife and close advisers to greater scrutiny, and risk his own political survival”, the cable added. [size=18pt]When contacted by Daily Trust to comment on the allegation that he told the American intelligence cable in 2008 that former President Obasanjo had one dollar for every barrel of crude oil produced in Nigeria as kickback, Sule said he “could not remember having said so”.[/size]

Either this guy is a coward or he is phocking lying. Maybe he watches too much Nollywood and couldnt separate fact from fiction. Anyway, very hilarious cable.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by VoodooDoll(m): 11:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
I understand NNPC's accounts have never received a clean audit report and no one truly knows what the balance sheet looks like. Plenty of unreconciled accounts and black holes.

Only God can save us in Nigeria oh, As we've chosen to re-select PDP!
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Beaf: 11:40pm On Sep 14, 2011
VoodooDoll:

I understand NNPC's accounts have never received a clean audit report and no one truly knows what the balance sheet looks like. Plenty of unreconciled accounts and black holes.

Only God can save us in Nigeria oh,  As we've chosen to re-select PDP!

Lol!

ACN's Ikuforiji surely didn't need PDP's help to steal a whopping N7billion from a single state, did he?
CPC's Hassan Lawal is in court for embezzling a tectonic plate moving N75.5billion!

Lets try not to make corruption into a partisan issue, or it will defeat us. Its the mentally lazy step to take in our fight to move forward.
It is a whole class of politicians that cut across (and indeed hop across) party affiliations that is the problem. We need to uproot every last one of the phuckers on a case by case basis so the country can remain stable; some we can uproot roughly, others we will need to employ caution for religious and ethnic reasons. Whichever way it goes, we must remain steadfast and committed, its the sad nature of our country that we are in this mess.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by VoodooDoll(m): 11:42pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^^^

Totally agree, All the parties are totally corrupt, just in case you thought I was an ACN/CPC supporter.

"The Beautiful ones are not yet born"
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by ASANIGBO20(m): 11:50pm On Sep 14, 2011
WHAT

ARE

THEY

DOING

WITH

THIS

MONEY?
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by babaowo: 11:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
how this politicians they enjoy all this bar sef? Haba too much bar go let person turn to were ooo.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by vaLasce(m): 12:21am On Sep 15, 2011
NaWa O!
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 15, 2011
They are thievish leaders! Their posterity will not go unpunished! Stupid Morons!
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by rolchi(m): 1:28am On Sep 15, 2011
Wikileaks grin grin grin

Very soon, it will become irrelevant, it is really a beer parlour gossip!
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Nobody: 1:41am On Sep 15, 2011
hahahahahah, Nigerians, keep smiling while your government loots your country to shams, HAHAHAHAHAHAH, Docile Nigerians.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by aloyemeka1: 1:51am On Sep 15, 2011
If Bankole made $30M/month during his tenure, he would have bought Audi motor corp by now. Big lie. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by seanet02: 2:54am On Sep 15, 2011
No wonder Bankole have 1 billion dollars in his domiciliary account.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Ilekokonit: 3:41am On Sep 15, 2011
The Amounts Stated are completely possible

Flashback to 2004 and I was having lunch at KFC in Central London and 2 Naija Chaps (unknown to me) enter the KFC restaurant, order their food and sit at a table near me.

They start gisting about their Uni days in Naija and it transpires that they both went to Uniben. Mr A asks Mr B what he is now into and Mr B replies that he comes to London 3 times a year to make some money as a Security guard and then disappears back to Naija until the coins run out.

At some point, I ask for permission to join their converstion as a fellow Nigerian.

Mr B then asks Mr A what he is into and Mr A says he works at Chevron in America at which point I ask him how he got the job and he says his Dad (a director at NNPC) pulled some strings from Naija to get him the Chevron job in America.

In our conversation, it turns out that Mr A (a young chap - late twenties as at 2004) was in London for a year to study for his PHD in a Petroleum related field (at one of the Top 5 UK Universities) on a study leave fully sponsored by Chevron America.

Additionally he had a house of his own in the states and also in the UK and the UK house was purchased outright (with no mortgage) for £250, 000 as at 2004.

He also told us that he had 2 houses of his own in Lekki Phase 1  (one of the most expensive places in Lagos).

At this point Mr B (his classmate) was visibly overawed.

I then managed to steer the conversation towards the corruption in Nigeria and Mr A replies that we should just forget about tackling corruption in Nigeria because the whole systemin Nigeria is corrupt and the corruption is supported by the so called expatriates.

He gives the example of his Dad (a director at NNPC) who was offered a bribe of 1.5 Million dollars by some Shell or Chevron expatriate in Nigeria in order for his Dad to bend some rules to the expatriates favour.

He did not tell us whether his Dad took the 1.5 Million dollar bribe or not but your guess is as good as mine (seeing that Mr A got his Chevron USA job by his Dad pulling strings from Nigeria !!)

The final straw for me was when Mr A told us that Nigerias oil is divided into 3 and only a third is reported to Opec.

Mr A said the remainder goes to Obasanjo and the Army Generals and he then finalised by telling us that $9 million dollars enters Obasanjo's private bank Account on a daily basis from oil revenue.

Eventually, we departed the restaurant and Mr A & B went their own way while I reluctantly went back to my employers premises to complete the days work.

While I did not have any proof that as at 2004 $9 million dollars was entering Obasanjo's private bank Account on a daily basis from oil revenue, I also did not have any reason to doubt Mr A's sincereity even though that was the first and last time I set my eyes on him.

There was no reason for him to rope his own Dad into the fray if there was no iota of truth in his statements.

As I reached my office desk, my thoughts then turned to my children and I started thinking that Obasanjo has marginalised our Parents, Iyabo Obasanjo has practically marginalised us,

Mr A on completing his PHD in a Petroleum related field coupled with his stint at Chevron USA (courtesy of his Dad's long leg that extends from NNPC to USA) will come back to Nigeria and get a job at NNPC that an ordinary but dilligent Nigerian can not get.

I then start praying that instead of me to see Iyabo Obasanjo or Mr A's kids oppress my own kids, I will rather let them continue living in London where they at least have more chances even if I decide to relocate to Nigeria alone (which I did b/wn 2006 and 2008 although it did not work out as all my 5 cooks and other staff at my Restaurant in Ikeja were thieves).

Coming back to the Mr A story.

On getting back to my office desk, I could not concentrate anymore on my database work and I started racking my brain as to a way out of that perpetual feeling of being oppressed financially by the likes of Obj in Nigeria (and even though I was not living in Naija at the time, my heart had already left London).

After 7 extra hours of unfruitful staring at my computer screen, I decided in desperation to stake £1,000 on the National lottery that night in the hope that if I won, then no Obasanjo kid or NNPC Director's kid can opress me any longer.

Suffice it to say that I did not win the National Lottery and only got £800 back (making a loss of £200).

That was to be the second time Naija's lootocrats have pushed me to my limits of financial endurance, the first time bein a year earlier in 2003 when on a visit to Naija, I saw a house advertised on the notice board of Ikoyi club for £2 million pounds at Old Ikoyi and was told by someone that a purchase would snap it up in Nigeria for £2 million CASH.

On getting back to London, my brain started working and I realised that even the Prime Minister of Britain (at the time Tony Blair) does not have £2 million cash and had to combine his salary with that of his wife before they qualified for a mortgage (loan) to buy their Central London private house.

There was even a time a newspaper poked fun at Tony Blair's Shoes saying that he could not afford to buy a replacement for the shoes as he had bitten off more than he could afford in the hefty morrtgage repayments.

And don't forget that Tony Blairs wife was a QC (Queens Counsel - a Top Barrister) and yet her salary combined with that of her Prime Minister could barely afford their montly mortgage repayments let alone buy a £2 million house with cash in Old Ikoyi  which "some people" in Nigeria could afford easily.

So on getting back to London, disturbed by the numerous stories of immense wealth controlled by a few people in Nigeria, I switched to "he who dares wins" mode and for the first time I staked £1,000 on the National Lottery (without my wife's knowledge) but onlyabout  £800 came back to me i.e I lost roughly £200 just like the second time I described above after meeting Mr A from Chevron USA.

And that was the end of my lottery career. Now I only play maybe £1 or so every 6 months.

So to those who think $30 million dollars to Bankole and David Mark monthly from NNPC is beer parlour gossip, I beg to differ as my account above of hearing similar stories in 2004 from Mr A whose father was a Director in NNPC further solidifies the fact in my mind that Nigerian leaders are corrupt beyond redemption.

But it never seems to pain me that some people seem to have 2 heads in our Nigeria and they are feeding fat to the tune of billions at our expense.

And it is supposed to be our commonwealth.

God help the 150 million downtrodden masses.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Ilekokonit: 3:42am On Sep 15, 2011
The state of our Nation is enough to give you Insomnia
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Gbawe: 4:07am On Sep 15, 2011
Beaf:

Perhaps, you will now understand why people are so ready to derail the current govt with boko haram and whatnot, the bitter fight against Deziani Allison Madueke etc; its because their cosy pipes for sucking the nations blood have been broken forever.
Today, every last barrel of oil is accounted for, accounting practises and security have been tremendously beefed up at all lifting stations. It will take years and concerted effort to clear the hoodlums out of powerful places in Nigeria. GEJ has his job cut out.

When will you stop this silly attempt to portray GEJ and his team as virtuous saints here to right all the wrongs? From everything we can see, you obviously are blind to, they are only the latest corrupt lot in power. Get this , and get it right: GEJ and his appointees are doing things exactly as has always being done in the past , i.e very shadily, so save Nairaland your continous and patronising diatribe about everyone fighting GEJ's Government because it wants to end "business as usual". GEJ's Government is "business as usual".

Allison-Madueke is the same person that shed Crocodile tears at the state of Nigerian roads only for her to realise no impact after swearing that the road will be repaired !!! She is corrupt, arbitrary and lawless. Pretty much like everyone in GEJ's Government but we trust you to play Ostrich while patronisingly attempting to make saints of sinners.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5721486-146/story.csp

Oil minister, her jeweller and their sweetheart deal

By Musikilu Mojeed

June 26, 2011 01:26PM

On April 7, 2010, a day after her appointment as minister for petroleum resources, Diezani Allison-Madueke flew to Beverley Hills in Los Angeles to revel in a lavish party and fashion show put together by Christopher Aire, a United States-based Nigerian celebrity jewellry designer and merchant, whom she met during her 15-month tenure as minister for solid minerals and steel development.

By the time the bejewelled Mrs Alison-Madueke returned home a few days later to assume duties as Nigeria's first female oil minister, she had achieved three clear objectives from the trip - she had unlimited fun, acquired some of Aire's exotic gold and gemstones, and handed Mr Aire an invitation to become one of Nigeria's biggest crude oil lifters.

It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

[b]At the time, the 47-year-old Mr Aire had nothing whatever to do with the oil business. His company, Solid 21 Incorporated, dealt strictly in jewellery and timepieces. Those close to him said Mr Aire was content with his jewellery business and had no plan to venture into Nigeria's murky oil waters. But all that changed after his meeting with Mrs Alison-Madueke that fateful April 7.

As the minister was flying home, Mr Aire also kick-started the process of registering brand new companies with which he planned to lift Nigerian crude. On July 9, 2010, the jeweller incorporated Siseno Oil Nigeria Limited, with him and one Patience Iluobe (believed to be his relative) as directors, to carry out the business of petroleum products sales and distribution.

Twelve days later (July 21, 2010), Mr Aire, through his agents, headed again to the Corporate Affairs Commission, where he incorporated another firm, Caligeria Oil Limited, also for the purpose of conducting petroleum products sales and distribution.

This time, one of his US-based companies, Osiri Holdings, Ms Iluobe, and one Otaigbe Onyekwere Agba, were named as directors. Mr Aire also proceeded to incorporate a US version of Caligeria with himself, his bodyguard, Joseph Agbi, and Jivani Davoodian, a Californian lawyer, as directors.

Favourite crude oil lifter

Mr Aire passed the papers of his newly minted companies, which have neither fixed addresses nor personnel, to the Crude Oil Marketing Division of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. Shortly afterwards - a month after the companies were born - Mrs Alison-Madueke discretionally approved the award of crude oil lifting contracts to the two firms, in violation of NNPC guidelines for lifting of Nigerian crude.

She also disregarded the fact that the "briefcase company" had no track record and lacked the ability to perform. According to a stringent guideline released by the NNPC in early 2010, companies which wish to lift Nigerian crude must prove that they are bona fide end users and that they are established and globally recognised large volume traders with evidence of their global network, their activities, and volumes of crude oil handled in the last three years.
[/b]
Such companies must also provide evidence that they are registered Nigerian companies with operations in Nigeria's oil and gas industry, and must have a minimum annual turnover of at least $100 million and net worth of not less than $40 million.

Applicants are also required to show commitment to the development of the Nigerian economy by investing in any number of opportunities that abound either in the oil industry or gas sector. Besides, successful companies are expected to post a $1 million performance bond through a first class Nigerian bank in addition to the regular crude oil contract provisions.

In the same guideline, the corporation promises transparency, fairness and equity in the contract award processes. "The NNPC further wishes to emphasise that there is absolutely nothing like ‘Presidential', ‘Task Force', ‘Ministerial', ‘Diplomatic' or any other form of special or privileged allocation, which can be peddled by hawkers or anyone," the guideline states.

Mrs Alison-Maduekwe approved this guideline, which was posted on the NNPC's website on June 24, 2010, over a month after she became minister. But by allocating crude oil to Mr Aire's companies without regard for these rules, the then minister, insiders say, demonstrated a penchant for violating laws, including regulations she helped put in place.

Those who should know at the NNPC say Siseno and Caligeria did not meet any of these requirements. In fact, NEXT was able to determine that the companies do not have fixed addresses or personnel in Nigeria. Caligeria has Plot G19, House 34, Dan Alhaji Road, Barnawa, Kaduna, as its registered address. Siseno, on the other hand, listed Dollar Shop at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja as its operational address.

But visits to those addresses showed that these companies never operated out of those locations. Plot G19, House 34, in Kaduna is an unpainted residential bungalow, and residents and neighbours said no company known as Caligeria has ever operated in the building. "Just because their owner knows the minister and hosted her well at his glamorous event in California, the companies are today two of the biggest lifters of Nigeria's crude oil," said a source at the petroleum ministry.

We have learnt that, between them, Mr Aire's two companies lift 60,000 barrels of crude per day, the highest for any established industry player and twice as much as well-known companies such as Addax, Vermont, Oando, Unicorp and others who are allocated 30,000 barrels per day. The government, through the NNPC, subcontracts crude marketing by allocating crude lifting contracts of 30,000 barrel per day; but some traders like Glencore, Travigura, Vitol and Sahara get as much as 60,000 barrels per day.

Nobody got more than the minister's jeweller friend

As usual, Mrs Alison-Madueke declined to state her own side of the story to our reporters. She called off an interview appointment scheduled with our editors for June 13. She also did not return calls and text messages seeking her comments for this story.

Mr Aire did not respond to our enquiries either. When our reporter called his California office, a spokesperson who identified herself as Adriana, requested that questions should be e-mailed directly to her. She did not respond to the email as at the time this newspaper went to print. But the spokesperson of the NNPC, Levi Ajuonoma, rose in stout defence of his organisation, saying the organisation did nothing wrong. "The process for crude oil lifting license is so cumbersome. If you don't meet the requirements, you cannot be approved to lift crude," Mr Ajuonoma said. He confirmed that Caligeria, which he claimed had been around for a long time, got a one-year lifting contract that had since expired. He denied that Siseno was awarded contract to lift crude, saying "there is no such company on my list." But information at our disposal shows otherwise.

Caligeria's registration documents, obtained officially from the Corporate Affairs Commission, indicate that the company was incorporated less than a year ago and has a subsisting contract with the NNPC. High level sources also confirmed to us that Siseno, also less than a year old, is on the list of our country's crude oil traders. With the arbitrary allocations to his no-address companies, Mr Aire and his associates earn about $11 million a year in profit for doing virtually nothing. Crude lifters make about 50 cents a barrel per day, which cumulatively comes to about $30,000 per day in profit for the jeweller-turned-oil magnate.

Typically, what these ‘briefcase companies' do is team up with influential officials such as Mrs Alison-Madueke, lobby for contracts independently, and then sell their allocations to more established traders. Mr Aire's companies also benefitted from Mrs Alison-Madueke's discretional award of contracts for the lifting of products from the Oso condensate (an extra light Nigerian hydrocarbon) and the Escravos liquefied petroleum gas terminal. Our sources said Caligeria lifts 45,000 metric tonnes of condensate, while Siseno gets 30,000 metric tonnes of LPG from Escravos. Industry insiders said profit from this also runs into several millions of dollars.

Some industry operators described the obvious in calling Mr Aire's a "sweetheart deal". "We just can't understand why briefcase companies without any track record became Diezani's most favourite companies to lift crude oil," said one highly placed source in the petroleum ministry, who did not want to be named for fear of reprisal. "This is the highest level of arbitrariness and corruption I have ever seen, and this woman must be made to answer questions," the source said.

Allison-Madueke's bazaar

Arbitrary awards of crude lifting contracts to obscure companies is indicative of the corruption in the oil industry, which allegedly skyrocketed during the tenure of Mrs Allison-Madueke to a degree last seen during the Sani Abacha administration. Insiders said that during her tenure, awards of contracts were characterised by bribery of top politicians, cronyism in allocation and indirect ownership in some of the lifters, and payment of huge bribes to high level facilitators within the petroleum ministry and the NNPC.

But this has not stopped Mrs Allison-Madueke, who has alienated the entire industry as well as her cabinet colleagues and senior aides to the president, from lobbying furiously for reappointment. Sources say Mrs Allison-Madueke, who is close to the president, is also opposed by Patience Jonathan, the president's wife.

Despite what appears to be overwhelming opposition, however, insiders still rate Mrs Allison-Madueke's chances high, as the president finalises his list of cabinet ministers for transmission to the Senate this week. Our investigation revealed that apart from Caligeria and Siseno, the former minister also trampled on due process in awarding crude lifting contracts to other companies such as Sullom Voe, Spog, Tempo and Tacomo. Insiders also accuse her of discretionary awards of Escravos liquefied petroleum gas contracts to Addax Energy, Avidor Oil and Gas Limited (believed to have connection to Vitol), Taleveras Business, Accoldis Limited (with connection to Spog), Elan Oil (believed to be another version of Traffigura) Tempo Energy Limited, and Blissfield Enterprises. Yet, the bazaar did not end there.

Mrs Alison-Madueke, our sources further revealed, proceeded to discretionally approve the awards of Oso condensate contracts to Algasco (also linked to Vitol), Optima Energy Services, Theydon Petro SA, Ocean Bed (with connection to Sahara Energy), Mangrove Energy, Havistar Petroleum (linked to Taleveras), Hyson, Ascon limited, Nipco Plc, Vitacan Services Limited, AMG Petro Energy, Energy Resources Management, Ultimate Gas Limited, Tempo Energy, Caligeria Oil Limited, Mez Technical Limited, Messrs Affiliate Global Exchange Limited, and Mezcor SA. Most of these companies have little or no investment in Nigeria, as required by the NNPC guideline for crude oil lifting.

A stench of corruption

The former powerful minister worked through a group of very small, even shadowy, companies that always seem to get the best contracts from the NNPC in the upstream and downstream sectors and on occasion in the services industry.

The tangled web of questionable deals includes last-minute assignment of production rights in five large oil blocks to Septa Energy and the obscure Atlantic Drilling Concept Limited without a public tender. The practices also include the secretive award of kerosene allocations, crude oil allocations, fuel oil allocations, LPG and condensate exports, automotive gas oil and naphtha. Oil traders, according to insiders, regularly pay substantial kickbacks into the offshore accounts of top oil sector executives. Insiders say the Isle of Man has been a favourite jurisdiction for such offshore accounts.

The funds are paid directly into the accounts from outside Nigeria and thus the funds never enter Nigeria and cannot be tracked internally. The funds are often then laundered through real estate purchases. A source familiar with the arrangement said London remains the dominant location where funds are laundered in this fashion.

It is said that since Farida Waziri became the chairperson of the EFCC, the Metropolitan Police had enjoyed zero local co-operation in pursuing such matters. In fact, the source added, when the Met briefs the EFCC on such cases with a view to getting its assistance, elements in the commission promptly informs the target - for a fee of course. Under Mrs Allison-Madueke, all sorts of gaps have been exploited. As at April this year, 600,000 metric tonnes of diesel had been imported, with importers shaken down at a rate of N10 per litre.

We have no evidence that these bribes directly involved the former minister. NEXT had also uncovered an elaborate bribery scam at the Petroleum Product Pricing and Regulatory Agency (PPPRA), where oil marketers were compelled to pay bribes in US dollars in exchange for obtaining authorisation to import gasoline.

Our investigation at the time showed that oil marketers were instructed by PPPRA to call a mobile telephone number and pay a bribe of $8 per metric tonne of petroleum allocated to them, such that a firm with a 100,000 metric tonnes allocation would be required to pay a bribe of $800,000 in cash. We were also able to establish in subsequent investigations that Mrs Alison-Maduekwe appeared to have violated Nigeria's procurement law by quietly signing away operatorship rights in five lucrative oil blocks to two barely established companies.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Beaf: 4:18am On Sep 15, 2011
^
Lol! The discredited crap from anti-reformists to fight a govt bent on sweeping them out of circulation.
Dude, try harder. Reform is here to stay and all the former thieves have lost power and access to our commonwealth forever.

Please post your next link from Sahara Reporters to complete the circle of shame. embarassed
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Akainzo(m): 6:58am On Sep 15, 2011
Beaf:

^
Lol! The discredited crap from anti-reformists to fight a govt bent on sweeping them out of circulation.
Dude, try harder. Reform is here to stay and all the former thieves have lost power and access to our commonwealth forever.

Please post your next link from Sahara Reporters to complete the circle of shame. embarassed

For my education and not particularly about this thread, I would love to know some policy changes that have been instituted since GEJ took over. I'd like to be able to let people know that things are not business as usual. So please help me out.
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by itiswell1(m): 7:18am On Sep 15, 2011
ASANIGBO20:

WHAT

ARE

THEY

DOING

WITH

THIS

MONEY?

Wetin den dey do with money?
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by ideylaff: 8:44am On Sep 15, 2011
It damn well is!

This is the way it went in the past;

•Shell drill's Bleep barrels of oil
•Nigeria id!ot official "asks" Shell, "how many barrels did you drill?"
•Shell replies yyy (and with a wink, "there's also a ship filling up on the high sea's, you could send some barrels too you know"wink
•Shell passes brown envelope under the table
•Nigerian official collects and calls his oil bunkering gangs to proceed with "business"
•Everybody is happy, while the masses groan in penury

Deziani Allison Madueke is worse than all of them put together, na small small boys wey dey wire the woman + original boyfriend GEJ dey chop all the money now,  NNPC and the Pet Ministry stinks like no other parastatal,  why do u think people like Otedola in a space of 4 years became a Billionaire and many more like that,  Now Otedola and Deziani are doing power show 4 each other,  one dey ball Oga, one na oga good friend. ITS AN OPEN SECRET IN ABUJA, @ beaf we are not dumbos, GEJ is as corrupt as the lot,  tongue

Thanks @ Gbawe,  we all know Deziani aint no saint,

we know people with no base office and within a month of oil allocation are swimming in Dollars, so this allegation is easily possible, just look at it in a cut per barrel of oil and then you will understand
Now Deziani is rich she now wants to try and do face face to close up the loop hole she chopped from why wont there be resistance to that, anyway she is only playing to the gallery and doing lip service for the cameras.that i know
Re: Mark And Bankole Got $30m Monthly From NNPC? by Ibomade1: 10:06am On Sep 15, 2011
The amount of money seem to be too huge but this is 9ja.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando / Nigeria Wants Tighter Security At Accra Embassy / Government Officials’ Estacodes, Others Gulp $3.9 Billion In One Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.