Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors (5788 Views)

Yabatech 2014/2015 Merit List Is Out Now / Empowerment By Merit Partner Dealcity Ltd To Train And Employ 1,500 Youth / The Unity Schools Brouhaha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by aspabay(m): 10:26pm On Sep 14, 2011
Just listening to the minister of state lamenting the rule of admission into Nigerian unity schools. It is pitiable that a developing country as Nigeria will admit 30% students to its unity school base on merit and the other 70% base on other factors such as federal character, educationally less developed state, bla bla bla.
I really weep for Nigeria.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by wellmax(m): 9:19am On Sep 15, 2011
I also saw the news.
Littlle winder our education is the way it is.

Excerpts:
Under the current arrangement, 30 per cent of available slots will be given to pupils on merit; another 30per cent will be distributed based on state quota while 30 per cent will be distributed based on environment while the remaining 10 per cent will be distributed based on what the ministry called “exigency.”

www.google.com/search?q=cache:http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109153133182
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by mondob2k(m): 3:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
This federal character, quota system and zoning are tools to promote mediocrity. these system hurl out thru the window! Let's not sacrifice excellence on altar of quota system, I pray my lil bro makes.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by mitofag: 3:47pm On Sep 16, 2011
I am not surprised. Most of the students in Unity Schools are dimwits like Sagamite Fagamite Fagamoron
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by agitator: 3:51pm On Sep 16, 2011
mitofag:

I am not surprised. Most of the students in Unity Schools are dimwits like Sagamite Fagamite Fagamoron

death grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by member479760: 8:26pm On Sep 16, 2011
What a shame, the FG after 50 years of independent, over 40 billions of oil reserves etc cannot provides free high school education to all and we are talking of developing. is this the way we are going to achieve it?

Thanks to LAGOS STATE government that gave a lot of us free education indiscriminately otherwise person like me will not be here today.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by mitofag: 8:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
nakedall:

What a shame, the FG after 50 years of independent, over 40 billions of oil reserves etc cannot provides free high school education to all and we are talking of developing. is this the way we are going to achieve it?

Thanks to LAGOS STATE government that gave a lot of us free education indiscriminately otherwise person like me will not be here today.

It is very unfortunate that the LSG gave you free education. The money spent on you would have been better utilized wiping off sh[b]i[/b]t. It is my feeling that If you had been made to pay for it, through hard labor, prostitution or any other demeaning venture, you'd probably have stayed in class to learn basic English grammar, punctuation, and capitalization rules. You are a disgrace!
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by 2dmax(m): 9:56pm On Sep 16, 2011
no wonder all my classmates are not heard of!
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 17, 2011
2dmax:

no wonder all my classmates are not heard of!

And are you heard of?. Hypocrite !
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by mitofag: 12:57am On Sep 17, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

And are you heard of?. Hypocrite !

Whats your problem?

leave the young chap alone
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by EvilBrain1(m): 1:18am On Sep 17, 2011
I went to a federal school and I remember meeting some hausa setmates who couldn't even spell their own names. And this was in JS3, mind you. They must have had big-man uncles or something to get admission.

If Nigeria is to have any hope of developing technologically, the quota and "long leg" systems have to go. Northerners are not inherently st.upid. If they want to go to school, they should read their books like everybody else. Unfortunately, this type of nonsense will never stop because corrupt civil servants will always need a back door to smuggle their olodo children into better schools than they deserve.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by Nobody: 1:36am On Sep 17, 2011
mitofag:

Whats your problem?

leave the young chap alone

And whats your own concern? Was I directing the comment to you? PUMA!
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by dabrake(m): 5:10am On Sep 17, 2011
mitofag:

uncoordinated dunce lyk u.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:18am On Sep 17, 2011
I went to a Federal Government College, too.

Some Hausas and indigenes of the area needed interpreters!
No Kidding! (no offence to the Hausas, but that was what happened)

I don't mind to share this, though: I scored 328/400 in Common Entrance,
did well too in the Interview, but still couldn't get admitted on National Merit!

I got in by State Quota.

So, what right have I to fault this Admission formula, except to wonder
why I didn't get in on merit?

I still wonder.
Re: Unity Schools Admission: 30% Merit, 70% Other Factors by aspabay(m): 12:20am On Sep 18, 2011
^^^^
Read the link provided carefully and you'll understand why as a southerner, even with high score your chances into unity schools are lower.
I was a victim too, did common entrance in late 80's in Kaduna, all of the brilliant chaps were none hausas and despite their high scores they were denied admission while the other guys with lower scores were admitted because of state of origin.
Nigeria, which way forward?

(1) (Reply)

Chat With Whatsapp Web Using Opera For Computers - Whatsapp Online / Guys And Girls Go Wild At A Dance Hall Party / AM Not Dead,am Very Much Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.