Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:37 AM

Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games (4571 Views)

Nigeria Finishes Second Position At All African Games / Nigeria Vs Ghana : All African Games - (2 - 0) On 9th September 2015 / Hurray!! Nigeria Wins Three More Gold In Wrestling and weight lifting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by OAM4J: 1:55am On Sep 16, 2011
[size=13pt]Osayomi, Odumosu fetch Nigeria more gold[/size]

Taekwondo grabs one gold, one bronze

YESTERDAY at the Mozambique National Stadium in Zimpetu, Nigerian golden girl, Damola Osayomi, added another chapter to her comeback story when she won the women 200 metres race in 22.86 seconds.

The gold medal yesterday was the third time Osayomi would cause Nigeria’s national anthem to be played at the stadium in this competition, which is her first since returning from a six-month suspension for using banned substance at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in India. Osayomi had earlier won the 100 metres women and the 4x100 metres relay gold.

Speaking on her feat yesterday, Osayomi, who could not stop praising God for being with her in her trying times, said she was grateful to Nigerians for their support, “even when it seemed that the whole world was against me.”

She said: “I go to church and I pray to God to guide me in all I do and this is the reward. Even though this is not my personal best (my best is 22.74 seconds), I am happy that I have been able to defend my crown.”

Earlier in the 400 metres women hurdles, Ajoke Odumosu ran a time of 56.27 seconds to win gold ahead of South Africa’s Wender Tyrone. Nigeria’s other entry into the race, Lesley Njoku, however, ended eighth. An ecstatic Odumosu said after the race that she was “happy to win against the difficult condition,” adding that she would continue to train hard for the challenges ahead.

“I am happy to be getting back at my best because it is important that I remain fit at all times,” she said. “I am looking forward to the Olympics because I believe anything can happen there once I am fit. The conditions here were very difficult, so I was forced to do my best to win the race.”

To Njoku, finishing last was a big disappointment, but he was not too bothered because he knows he could do better for his country. He said: “This is my first competition since the All Nigeria Championship in Calabar, and I must thank the Nigerian federation for giving me this opportunity to serve my country.

“I am now going back to my school, Georgia Tech, to train and prepare for the Olympics because I know there is more I can do for Nigeria.”

Also yesterday, Team Nigeria’s taekwondo star, Jamilu Mohammed, defeated his Cote d’Ivoire opponent in the 58 kg class to add another gold to Nigeria’s kitty, while Joy Ekhiator won bronze medal in the -48 kg after losing to her Malian opponent in the semi-final of the event.

Meanwhile, the national basketball team, D’Tigers, yesterday defeated Egypt by 72 to 59 points to also make the semi-final of the event.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61224:osayomi-odumosu-fetch-nigeria-more-gold&catid=59:home&Itemid=620
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by chelseabmw(m): 7:55am On Sep 16, 2011
Am so happy for this development
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by Afam4eva(m): 8:01am On Sep 16, 2011
This does not sound like good news to me. We're still second to South Africa. Winning gold medals here and there does not change that fact. Remember, this is the all africa games and not the olympics.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 16, 2011
afam4eva:

This does not sound like good news to me. We're still second to South Africa. Winning gold medals here and there does not change that fact. Remember, this is the all africa games and not the olympics.

A True cynic if there ever was one - it is feel good news and it is a fact even if it is just the All African Games and not the Olympics tongue
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by babyboy3(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2011

Yeah but they are events S.A are more likely to win a medal even at the Olympics those events Nigeria would be lucky to reach the qualifying time at the heat level, events like Canoeing, Gymnast, Rowing, Sailing, Swimming, Shooting, Cycling etc,
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by igbogolo: 9:11am On Sep 16, 2011
OAM4J:

[size=13pt]Osayomi, Odumosu fetch Nigeria more gold[/size]

Taekwondo grabs one gold, one bronze

YESTERDAY at the Mozambique National Stadium in Zimpetu, Nigerian golden girl, Damola Osayomi, added another chapter to her comeback story when she won the women 200 metres race in 22.86 seconds.

The gold medal yesterday was the third time Osayomi would cause Nigeria’s national anthem to be played at the stadium in this competition, which is her first since returning from a six-month suspension for using banned substance at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in India. Osayomi had earlier won the 100 metres women and the 4x100 metres relay gold.

Speaking on her feat yesterday, Osayomi, who could not stop praising God for being with her in her trying times, said she was grateful to Nigerians for their support, “even when it seemed that the whole world was against me.”

She said: “I go to church and I pray to God to guide me in all I do and this is the reward. Even though this is not my personal best (my best is 22.74 seconds), I am happy that I have been able to defend my crown.”

Earlier in the 400 metres women hurdles, Ajoke Odumosu ran a time of 56.27 seconds to win gold ahead of South Africa’s Wender Tyrone. Nigeria’s other entry into the race, Lesley Njoku, however, ended eighth. An ecstatic Odumosu said after the race that she was “happy to win against the difficult condition,” adding that she would continue to train hard for the challenges ahead.

“I am happy to be getting back at my best because it is important that I remain fit at all times,” she said. “I am looking forward to the Olympics because I believe anything can happen there once I am fit. The conditions here were very difficult, so I was forced to do my best to win the race.”

To Njoku, finishing last was a big disappointment, but he was not too bothered because he knows he could do better for his country. He said: “This is my first competition since the All Nigeria Championship in Calabar, and I must thank the Nigerian federation for giving me this opportunity to serve my country.

“I am now going back to my school, Georgia Tech, to train and prepare for the Olympics because I know there is more I can do for Nigeria.”

Also yesterday, Team Nigeria’s taekwondo star, Jamilu Mohammed, defeated his Cote d’Ivoire opponent in the 58 kg class to add another gold to Nigeria’s kitty, while Joy Ekhiator won bronze medal in the -48 kg after losing to her Malian opponent in the semi-final of the event.

Meanwhile, the national basketball team, D’Tigers, yesterday defeated Egypt by 72 to 59 points to also make the semi-final of the event.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61224:osayomi-odumosu-fetch-nigeria-more-gold&catid=59:home&Itemid=620

NONSENSE! did you follow the just conclued games at daegu? Osayomi and co all came last. we are celebrating 53.06secs in the 400m when the likes of montsho( 49.76) and sanya richards are there with 48.78 secs. even in the 4x100, the girls came second to last and also came last in the 400m at daegu, south korea. for more see the following links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYczFx8t5kQ
for this 4x400, there was almost 200m gap between USA and Nigeria. Shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqX94ZE6ns
Osayomi gets us second to last.

IMHO, there is nothing to celebrate. They need to get back to training FAST!
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by COMPAQ(m): 9:21am On Sep 16, 2011
I hope the babe hasn't laced herself up again. Perhaps the testing procedures are not very stringent. I find it odd that she couldn't do better than blessing in Daegu and all of a sudden she's so much better than her in Maputo, to the extent of clocking 10.90!! Where was the 10.90 in Deagu? She barely made 11.30 there.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 16, 2011
As much as I want to celebrate these victories, I believe strongly that we are far below our potential as a nation. We should also be winning gold medals in other events, especially swimming. Don't forget that we have the largest contingent at the Games.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by folem: 10:03am On Sep 16, 2011
Latest Athletics Medals Standings

Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by mallorca(m): 10:08am On Sep 16, 2011
Go Team Nigeria
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by bigfat01: 11:41am On Sep 16, 2011
getting better for sport
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by room702(m): 12:30pm On Sep 16, 2011
UP Nigeria!
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by MMM2(m): 1:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
good
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by visionsen(m): 1:33pm On Sep 16, 2011
Where did Afam get his news that South Africa is above us or is my eyes deceiving me as per the medal table.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Sep 16, 2011
The above medal table is fake. South Africa has close to 60 gold medals while the giant of africa ant of africa , Nigeria is crawling with 18 gold.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by Basics007: 3:37pm On Sep 16, 2011
I'm so happy for Damola after the hell she went thru followin the ban she received. More power to ur legs girl. Some people are callin are a local champion here,well you can only beat who is placed in front of you.
The medals table posted up is only for athletics
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by splitnaija(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
Good news.
Re: Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games by igbo2011(m): 10:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
Nigeria needs to put more money into track and field, soccer, and baksetball. Nollywood and music are on the rise. Now it is time for the sports industry to rise. We need a great national basketball league and also many more leagues for little kids to develop. This will create jobs and help the economy.

(1) (Reply)

Rare Photo Of N'golo Kante Fighting A War In 1874 / Germany(0) Vs Italy(2): World Cup 2006 Semi-finals / Peter Rufai Out Of Hospital, NFF Wishes Him Quick Recovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.