Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Court /registry Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court /registry Marriage (14439 Views)

Groom Abandons New Bride At Benin Registry, Takes To His Heels On Sighting Wife / Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? / Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court /registry Marriage by praisefav: 11:13am On Sep 16, 2011
Please i need enlightment on the topic; is there different between court marriage and registry marriage? and what are the process for both?

thank u.
Re: Court /registry Marriage by Iranoladun(f): 12:19pm On Sep 16, 2011
Both mean the same thing. For the process contact the maarriage registry in a local government close to you every local govt has one
Re: Court /registry Marriage by Ben13: 2:40pm On Sep 16, 2011
They are same.
Re: Court /registry Marriage by N101: 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2011
They are one and the same.  Court marriage is what they do in the US as far as I'm aware, cos we don't get married in court in Nigeria (correct me if I'm wrong someone?).  Most places usually have a registry department for this, but the court thing has spilled over into common usage.

The process is:

Go to your local LGA offices and apply to get married. You'll need passport photos and copies of your birth certificates.

Decide when you want to get married (of course this should be decided and agreed beforehand).   Some councils have certain days they will conduct weddings e.g. Thursday and Saturday.

You will be given a list of things that you have to provide in order for your marriage to take place.  This list is crucial, don't mess with it or your day is finished.  Our list included:

2 Ballpoint pens
2 boxes of biscuits (a specific brand was given)
2 bottles of non-alcoholic wine
1 packet of Tom Toms
1 packet of Toffee sweetie something

I'm sure there was other stuff but those are the ones I remembered. As far as they're concerned if you're getting married you can afford to provide these things, in addition to dashing them something so you can book the date you want.

If your LGA Registry are so inclined they will included a "counselling" session, which is basically a form filling exercise that both you and your fiance must attend. Mess up the forms, you pay approx. N2000 for a new one.  The above list must also be presented on the day of the "counselling".  In our case, they then give you a poster of "husband's obligations, wife's obligations" and take a photo of each couple biting a religious book. Don't ask, we never did it.  You'll have to pay for these two on the "counselling" day of course, even if you have paid for them beforehand.  And if they don't have enough of anything, don't pay for it cos you will never see it.

The wedding date, depending on how many of you are getting married on the day, is on a "first come first served" basis. Some registries may be organised to book you into a particular time slot but you know how it is with people of colour and time.   So if 5 couples are getting married, whoever arrives first, having completed their paperwork and produced their list items, will be cleared to get married.  The rest just need to wait around until their turn comes.

That is basically it.

2 Likes

Re: Court /registry Marriage by 2mch(m): 3:31pm On Sep 16, 2011
Court is sanctioned by laws, church is blessed by God. But with church wedding you will still have to sign registry documents to make it legally binding. Church just has the religious angle to it, which to some is more important that they start their lives with God.
Re: Court /registry Marriage by Tgirl4real(f): 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2011
N101,

your so detailed. You tried still remembering this stuff. Although, I didn't any of those stuff probably because I mine was at the federal registry.
Re: Court /registry Marriage by brenderlov: 11:43pm On Sep 16, 2011
Hello i am Brenda i contact you to be your friend please contact me on my email (brendamoyo32@yahoo.in) i will tell you a detail about myself and send my pictures to you, hoping to hear from you thanks
Re: Court /registry Marriage by N101: 1:49am On Sep 17, 2011
@ Tgirl4real,

Maybe I remember because of the wahala they gave us just so we would dash them something to book the date.  Plus I found the "counselling" hilarious.  Weddings are a money spinner for the LGs - if you're getting married  you must have money, correct?  And they must have a share sad  I spoke to a friend about it, she laughed and said they had to do the same in a different LGA when they got married  about 8 years ago.
Re: Court /registry Marriage by praisefav: 12:36pm On Sep 19, 2011
I really appreciate your contributions.

Thank u all and God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Which Infant Formula Is Suitable For Weight Gain In Babies Under 12 Months / As A Woman I Have Decided I'm Never Getting Married Or Having Kids / Take Care Of Your Babies the right way.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.