Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" (4358 Views)

Jonathan: Nigeria Owes Obasanjo Debt Of Gratitude / Nigeria Owes Obasanjo For His Foresight, Says Pdp / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by tundewoods(m): 6:48am On Sep 01, 2007
I read a piece on Philip Emeagwali that saddened my heart and i couldn't help but share it here. With all due respect Mr Philip Emeagwali is an exceptionally brilliant and gifted Nigerian and i certainly respect his for that. How ever i must humbley say that he may have gotten it wrong with regards to some issues regarding participating in Nigeria's development.

In an article i read on his website titled " Nigeria Owes Me "

One is left to wonder if Philip Emeagwali as a Nigerian in Diaspora knows the implication of his percieved attitude towards country of Birth,Nigeria and if life is all about Money,Recognition and Fame.

According to the article,which he claims that the federal government still owes him fees for the investigations he conducted into the country’s diminishing petroleum.Though he was silent on the amount involved, he said the[b] unpaid outstanding was the reason why he is not prepared to physically partake in any efforts at developing Nigeria[/b].

In an interview with Share Our World, a Celtel quarterly, he said he was not happy with Nigeria because he never got paid for his investigation into the diminishing Nigerian petroleum resources by the federal government.

Quoting Philip

"It is true that I left Nigeria 33 years ago and my last visit to Africa was 20 years ago. My 16 year-old son and wife of 25 years have never visited Africa. Despite my three decades absence, I have been residing at the edge of knowledge and pushing the envelope of technology thus contributing to humanity, Africa included.

"Nigeria rewards the oil companies that consume the technology thatI produced. The oil companies receive 40 percent of Nigeria’s oil revenue or about 200 billion dollars. The Petroleum Technology Development Fund [PTDF] receives billions. I receive no compensation from oil companies or PTDF. I was not paid for 15years of excruciating hard intellectual labour", Emeagwali said.

i truly feel his pain and accept that what the federal goverment did to him is totally wrong and un fair,however all the same that is not enough reason to totally snub Nigeria in terms of dedicating his wealth of IT experience to the nation at large.

I certainly believe that Philip Emeagwali's contribution and worth to America is all that matters to him now and wish he could someday stumble upon this piece or this thread on the forum and have a re-think towards his mindset.

Nigerian leaders and the goverment may not be worth it but certainly the nation as a whole are worth it.His visit to Nigeria believe it or now will certainly impact positively on IT lanscape of the country not to talk of him participation & contribution in Youth empowerment IT projects.

Certainly from his percieved attitude i can sense that he may be snobing Nigeria to get even with the then Federal Goverment,honestly in my own opinion has gotten it worng in that Light.He should beyond that and play his own part.

Details on Philip Emeagwali's Article " Nigeria Owes Me "  http://emeagwali.com/nigeria/business-day/the-end-of-oil.pdf

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Bigjay(m): 9:25am On Sep 01, 2007
@ tundewoods
I truly feel you,well said. wink
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by azorjiu(m): 10:05am On Sep 01, 2007
It's a shame Emeagwali is proud that his wife and kid never visited nigeria. The apathy he displays on his country of birth is worrisome. Quite un-nigerian of him. Damn! this guy says he visited africa (probably sudan, ethiopia or another african country) 20 years ago not 20 months ago!

He is an eminent scientist but should not let his achievements get into his head. He should come to nigeria/africa to teach some of this mathematics he talks about all the time. We acknowledge his guruism.

On a final note, a labourer is worthy of his wages. The nigerian government should pay him for the research he conducted on our diminishing resources (). He is entitled to his wages.

2 Likes

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Afam(m): 11:36am On Sep 01, 2007
He should also state the exact work he did for Nigeria and the amount involved and the amount that is still being owed to him.

The level of apathy he displays is high and with all due respect we don't need people with such mindset today.

As regards his achievements, he could end up becoming the next Dead Sea who refused to give out anything.

It will be interesting to know exactly what he was paid to do that he feels the oil companies are benefiting from.

Was he asked to quantify the oil resources or confirm that crude oil was dwindling even when it is common knowledge that oil is a wasting assest.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by batu: 12:48pm On Sep 01, 2007
I was not paid for 15years of excruciating hard intellectual labour", Emeagwali said.

Not suprised at the rather narrow minded responses. The reason why some countries are called 'developed countries' today is simply because of their government's long standing investments in intellectual development. If most people here will very likely support the NLC going on strike for wage increase, why all the talk about achievement getting into his head.
The most important question is whether it is true he worked for the Nigerian government, if so, then he should be paid, simple; and he has every right to say Nigeria owes him.

Whether his wife and son has even been to Nigeria is his own problem, I don't think Nigeria misses them; but he is a professional, and if you engage a professional because of his professional skills, then he should be compensated. I don't remember him saying he was a member of the "Salvation Army" or the "Volunteer Service Organisation" who  works for free, he is a professional; if he was engaged then he should be paid. And he has every right to complain.e
Unfortunately for those who said they don't need such peoples like him; not suprised because it takes a professional to understand the importance of professionalism and not individualism. The major bulk of the net GNP of UK for example is not from manufacturing or oil but from highly skilled areas such as finance, international investments, medical and computronics etc in an increasingly global economy.
The guy might have his personal idiosyncratic issues, but let's think outside the box; he and others like him are the kind of people we need to mentor young, up and coming lecturers, students, professionals in Nigeria for high level skill transfer which will help the nation in the long run. Not loquacious traders!

4 Likes

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Iman3(m): 12:50pm On Sep 01, 2007
Don't mind the imposter.What did he actually do for Nigeria and when did he do it? Nigeria owes me too for the investigation I did into our diminishing foreign debt  grin  

He could bring legal action if he actually did something which requires remuneration.

As regards his achievements, he could end up becoming the next Dead Sea who refused to give out anything.

What actually were his achievements?
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Afam(m): 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2007
@batu,

Appearing to be a professional is not the same thing as being a professional so you can continue to make senseless comments and chase people around while imagining you are making sense.

As they say, it's your world.

1 Like

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by nigeria1: 1:10pm On Sep 01, 2007
Leave this man ?  come How many Nigerian professional abroad   would come back to Nigeria,  not less than 5%,  Most do not want to come,  come and do what,  ? Do you know anybody who would leave a comfortable life and jump into an uncomfortable life. If Nigeria get it art right. Nigeria professional  would come back home,  If Nigeria fail to remain the same. They have no other option but remain over here.  Soup that sweet na money kill it,  abi,  you should not forget that most nigerian abroad have dual citizenship,  their children only know this place as their country and not nigeria. If i am coming home. It most be for a reason. Not just because i just want to come home, that reason is because i am coming to change nigeria for the better.

2 Likes

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Sijien(m): 1:11pm On Sep 01, 2007
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by batu: 1:21pm On Sep 01, 2007
Afam:

@batu,

Appearing to be a professional is not the same thing as being a professional so you can continue to make senseless comments and chase people around while imagining you are making sense.

grin grin
chase who around? you? definitely a case of grandiose delusion. grin Well, it's true 'appearing to be is not the same as being': but I am very sure Philip Emegwali is more relevant to Nigeria than you my dear friend, and I think we need him but you think otherwise because he asked for what's due to him. Your thinking is reverse patriotism, if the guy is well compensated for his work, dont you see that is a motivation for him to do more?
I see from your blog that you sell and/or consult on inverters or generators; that shows you are skilled in that area; if you are engaged by the energy ministry as a Consultant, say in rural electrification, how would you feel if you are not adequately compesated? you'll say it's okay because 'I am a Nigerian.'
Let's look beyond the 'individual' involved and look at what we as a nation stand to benefit from the guy. I know the guy has his own haters, but for him to  be engaged by Fortune 500 tech. companies and US Army in electronics is not cheap or fake. Those guys will use you if they see practical skills even if you dont have a single certificate.
A bricklayer is not the same as a construction engineer at a simplistic level; the former can be sacked and replaced immediately but the later cannot.

2 Likes

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by nigeria1: 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2007
look the technology I work with is broadband related, but Nigeria do not have broadband system, except if i am coming to teach software development. no broadband in nigeria at the moment, but some skill may be transferable like the software for banks, and others over the years,
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by denex: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2007
If the man Emeagwali is owed, he should be paid. I wonder how anybody will be called to investigate Nigeria's diminishing petroleum reserves.

It is like hiring someone to investigate the diminishing nature of the liquid content of a bottle of Coca-Cola while it is being consumed.

But if they hired him to do that, them they should pay him for doing it. However, this should not be seen as an incentive for him to come back to Nigeria. It should be done by the Federal Government because that is the honorable thing to do.

Nobody needs Emeagwali in Nigeria right now. When he was inventing stuff, he went to give his intentions to companies in the USA for free so now that he doesn't have anything more to give, I wonder what we need him for. Nigeria doesn't have unconditional love. She needs those that can contribute to come and benefit from arising opportunities.

The only thing Emeagwali is good for right now is lecturing in a University or being on the Board of Directors of billion Naira corporations. There are more than excess people to do that over here. In fact, if we recall, there is a high unemployment percentage in Nigeria.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by mellow(m): 9:05am On Sep 02, 2007
To whom much is expected, much is given.[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by azorjiu(m): 9:20am On Sep 02, 2007
Thanks to emeagwali. Nigeria now knows that "sucking" its oil will lead to depletion cheesy.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Pain(m): 3:36pm On Sep 02, 2007
Emeagwali The Fraud Is Back In The News?

What Da Heck!!!

The Guy Is A Fraud. I'm Surprised That People Still Listen To Him!!!!

1 Like

Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by NuhuRibadu: 5:41pm On Sep 02, 2007
Pain:

Emeagwali The Fraud Is Back In The News?

What Da Heck!!!

The Guy Is A Fraud. I'm Surprised That People Still Listen To Him!!!!

I wonder oooo, i know know whether he still wan dupe nigeria. The guy thrives on propaganda, mis-informing people, arrogating the power he never had to himself, claiming credits for what he never did.
He should go and die in hell, bloody opportunist
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Afam(m): 6:46pm On Sep 02, 2007
The funny thing is that more and more people are more inclined to believe whatever he says or claims rather than taking time to substantiate such claims.

How someone will be contracted to investigate Nigeria's dwindling oil reserves beats my imagination.

We have reservoir engineers to do such calculations and I thought the foreign venture partners were the operators and not NNpc that just sit down to share or loot money.

Can anyone point to a school where Philips got his PhD from or do people now award themselves PhDs?

http://chippla..com/2005/12/is-philip-emeagwali-fake.html seems to have some interesting issues with claims made by this man.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Tats(m): 11:54pm On Sep 02, 2007
Afam:

The funny thing is that more and more people are more inclined to believe whatever he says or claims rather than taking time to substantiate such claims.

How someone will be contracted to investigate Nigeria's dwindling oil reserves beats my imagination.

We have reservoir engineers to do such calculations and I thought the foreign venture partners were the operators and not NNpc that just sit down to share or loot money.

Can anyone point to a school where Philips got his PhD from or do people now award themselves PhDs?

http://chippla..com/2005/12/is-philip-emeagwali-fake.html seems to have some interesting issues with claims made by this man.

I was wondering too. I know that reservoir engineers in the various joint venture companies calculate the volume of oil in their oil fields/reservoirs and these figures from the various oil companies are aggregated to give the country's oil reserves. With the volume of oil reserves and the rate of oil recovery from the reservoirs, the lifespan of the reserves can be estimated. So what services exactly did he render to the country in this area? Did he go round to all the oil companies and sit down with the engineers/geologists to vet their calculations/assumptions before coming up with the total amount of oil reserves that Nigeria has? I really need to know!

Lets not play the tribal or any other cards here. I do not see the comments of posters as being judgemental. We are all presumed to be educated in this forum and need to rely on our individual professionalism and/or judgement to come up with near conclusions or conclusions on issues we encounter. Otherwise, what do we have the brains for?
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Sagewood: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2012
Emeagwali is a BIG fraud!
If anyone cares, take time to study his profile and background.
What you will find will definitely surprise you.
His claims are so outlandish. The guy is delusional at best.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by bushwailo: 10:58pm On Nov 24, 2012
^^^^^^^
Big fraud, I wonder who still takes this guy seriously
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by chino24: 3:06am On Nov 25, 2012
Emeagwali is the best thing that happened to Africa and Nigeria in particular..
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Horus(m): 3:17am On Nov 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-OQmjYIuAU

Philip Emeagwali IOD Interview
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by kettykin: 8:11am On Nov 25, 2012
Are people still talking about this man,

@ posters please has any African / Nigerian dead or alive won the Gordon Bell price in super computing particularly the yoruba scholars in britain and usa
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by ACM10: 9:55am On Nov 25, 2012
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by mikolo80: 9:16pm On Oct 15, 2016
azorjiu:
It's a shame Emeagwali is proud that his wife and kid never visited nigeria. The apathy he displays on his country of birth is worrisome. Quite un-nigerian of him. Damn! this guy says he visited africa (probably sudan, ethiopia or another african country) 20 years ago not 20 months ago!

He is an eminent scientist but should not let his achievements get into his head. He should come to nigeria/africa to teach some of this mathematics he talks about all the time. We acknowledge his guruism.

On a final note, a labourer is worthy of his wages. The nigerian government should pay him for the research he conducted on our diminishing resources (). He is entitled to his wages.
was he not paid by his masters the oil companies. All this brain still de produce this kind mumu talk. True true no be by school
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Uniben4sure: 9:50pm On Oct 15, 2016
Emeagwali my man!

My role model.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Uniben4sure: 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2016
Emeagwali my man!

My role model.

Respect Sir!
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Uniben4sure: 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2016
Emeagwali my man!

My role model.

Respect Sir!
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by Caseless: 9:58pm On Oct 15, 2016
And he didn't table his 'complaint' to IB when he was there as president.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by ArodewilliamsT: 10:22pm On Oct 15, 2016
Any Easterner patriotic to the fraudulent lugardian contraption that is fuelled by the blood of millions of his kind killed everyday to keep oil flowing from the south to gworo-chewers in funtua is an animal that deserves to hung upside down and shot.
Re: Where Philip Emeagwali Got It Wrong "Nigeria Owes Me" by LoveDecay(m): 10:50pm On Oct 15, 2016
Philip is an American not a Nigerian.

Does he still have a Nigerian passport... WTF

(1) (Reply)

Leader Of Adamawa Vigilante Group That Help Rescue Mubi Arrested / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News!!! INEC May Not Accept Buhari's Affidavit Declaration. / Meet The Five Nigeria Ex-Presidents Who Died While In Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.