Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War (16582 Views)

U.S Declassified Memo Accuses Murtala Muhammad Of Genocide / Murtala Muhammad's Face And Name Should Be Removed From Naira And Airport / Video: Nigerian Soldiers Killing Civilians In Jos-viewer Discretion Is Advised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Justcash(m): 3:37pm On Sep 17, 2011
By Comrade Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

Murtala Muhammed represents one of the greatest tragedies that has befallen Nigeria. An unintelligent, ill disciplined, uncharismatic, unprincipled and nondescript failed soldier, it is indeed a measure of the extent to which the nation has been unlucky to have been saddled with such despicable characters that ultimately shaped Nigeria’s destruction. As fate would have it, the Jan. 1966 coup unleashed a chain of circumstances that threw up characters like Murtala Muhammed who ordinarily would have remained an isolated and unknown officer for the duration of his career.
In the aftermath of the Major Kaduna Nzeogwu led coup, Murtala Muhammed and other Northern officers organised a secessionist coup (Araba) and pogrom that targeted and consumed the lives of over 50,000 innocent Eastern civilians in the first barbarity of such a scale to be seen in Africa. Artisans, traders, civil servants, children were all hacked to death. Women were violated and killed, pregnant women were first violated, then had their stomach cut open, the unborn children plucked out and stabbed to death. It was an SinParty of bloodbath that rivalled Hitler’s death camps in Nazi Germany. Murtala Muhammed personally participated in this bloodletting preparatory to seceding from Nigeria. The flag of the Northern republic was already flying and Yakubu Gowon had also preparatory to Northern secession given his now famous “no basis for Nigerian unity” speech.

However, before the smouldering flames and dust could settle, the face of crass opportunism by Murtala Muhammed, Yakubu Gowon and other Northern officers emerged. On persuasion by the British, desirous of a willing stooge to aid their exploitation of Nigeria’s resources, the officers who had premised their coup and pogrom on secession did a volte-face and changed from secession to “one Nigeria.” It is ironical that after displaying such barbarity and blood lust targeted at ordinary civilians who had no hand in a coup organised by the military-political class, the same officers that orchestrated and participated in such pogrom of genocidal proportions changed course and proved their lack of principles and opportunism by insisting on Nigeria.
But the damage had already been done. The mass killing of civilians had established a fault line and a sense of insecurity that made co-habitation in the same nation impossible. Yakubu Gowon had failed as head of state to protect the lives and property of citizens in repeated attacks, paving the way for the civil-war, but this was only to give the blood hungry likes of Murtala Muhammed a further opportunity to satisfy their lust for blood.

As the civil-war commenced, Murtala Muhammed entered the war in the Midwest campaign where he robbed the Central Bank in Benin, and began his litany of war crimes. Federal forces under his command unleashed a massacre of Igbos in Benin city and environs, however Asaba became the legendary centre were Murtala Muhammed set a record of war crimes. In a rain of blood, tens of thousands of innocent youths, some of them just 6 years old were lined up on the streets of Asaba and executed in cold blood on the direct orders of Murtala Muhammed. The Asaba massacre was the first of its kind in Africa and remains one of the bloodiest to date in the history of the African continent. As a further testimony to the bloodlust and depravity demonstrated by Murtala Muhammed and his forces, few kilometres away in Onitsha, another barbaric massacre was unleashed in the Apostolic Church where over 300 civilians, devout Christians including women and children who had stayed back and continued in their prayers after the fall of Onitsha were brutally murdered in cold blood.

But beyond his crude barbarity which he repeatedly manifested in the violation of women and cold blooded massacre of defenceless civilians, he was an ill disciplined, failed soldier who In spite of the immense amounts of men and ammunition at his disposal suffered crushing defeats in most of his military campaigns against barely armed Biafran soldiers. His military campaign to take Onitsha, where he acted against orders from military headquarters ended in a humiliating defeat, and his 96 vehicle column of heavily armed troops who were ambushed and totally wiped out at Abagana are some of the worst defeats suffered by the Nigerian army in the civil war. His string of tactical failures led to his exit from the war theatre.

No doubt, one of the greatest murderers, war criminals, and opportunists in Nigeria‘s chequered history, his entire war career is littered with war crimes committed in different theatres of war.

In July 1975, he seized power in a coup but was shot dead in a military putsch in February 1976, at last a victim of the bullets he had used to kill so many. In the end he left behind a legacy of barbarities, war crimes, bank robbery, destruction of the federal civil service and failure as a soldier. An avowed secessionist who became an opportunist apostle of one Nigeria, not because he genuinely believed in Nigeria, but for reasons of opportunism. The emergence of his likes as leaders, remains the greatest reason why Nigeria has failed.

Murtala Muhammed’s hands are soiled with so much blood, and even though by his death he escaped justice in the physical, he is sure getting his punishment in the spiritual realm. His entire generation of descendants shall also continue to pay one way or the other for the sins of their father.

Source: http://asaba.com/?p=352
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Rgp92: 3:57pm On Sep 17, 2011
Murtala Muhamad have been dead for 35 years now. Please lets forget this and move on undecided
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Justcash(m): 4:21pm On Sep 17, 2011
Rgp92:

Murtala Muhamad have been dead for 35 years now. Please lets forget this and move on undecided
How do you move forward when you are in deep denial of the past anomalies that are prominent players in your inability to make progress? The real reason why Nigeria is not making progress is that our history is full of hatred, denials and deception. Until we tell ourselves the truth, we can never ever move forward.
It is easy for you to say "Please let's forget" just because it did not happen in your hometown. Maybe, if your grandmother was raped and your grandfather was killed, you will know how it really feels.

4 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by nduchucks: 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2011
Another ignorant revisionist. *Yawn*
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Justcash(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2011
GOWON’S APOLOGY TO THE IGBOS LACKS SINCERITY

since he retuned from exile in Britain (after he was pardoned by former President Shehu Shagari for his alleged role in the overthrow of General Murtala Mohammed), retired Gen. Yakubu Gowon has undoubtedly tried to make amends and to also be fruitful in the daily life of Nigerian governance. He has made apologies to the Igbos and others, has organized the "Nigeria Prays" movement and in late 2002, with former President Shehu Shagari, intervened in the impeachment deadlock between Obasanjo and the Federal legislature. However, it is important that as Gowon makes up for his civil war shortcomings and excesses, he avoids one important thing: trying to change the undisputed and documented facts of the war, and that brings me to the speech and apology made by Gowon to the Igbos in Asaba on or about December 09, 2002, covered by reporter Austin Ogwuda, titled "Gowon faults setting up of Oputa panel" and reproduced in Nigeriaworld.com.

In that speech, and in the course of his apology, Gowon tried to change the facts of history by claiming that he was unaware of Gen. Murtala Mohammed’s genocidal instincts and the actual genocidal campaigns he carried out west of the Niger, between Asaba and Agbor. That denial of knowledge, in the face of abundant and contrary facts, undercut Gowon’s apology and denied it of sincerity and genuineness. In that Gowon’s speech at the Asaba Township Stadium, Asaba, Gen. Gowon said in part:

"It came to me as a shock when I came to know about the unfortunate happenings that happened to the sons and daughters of this state especially of this (Asaba) domain. I felt very touched and honestly I referred to it (killings) and ask for forgiveness being the one who was in charge that time. Certainly, it is not something that I would have approved of in whatsoever. I was made ignorant of it, I think until it appeared in the papers. A young man wrote a book at that time… It just happened seven hours ago when I was visiting the state for our nation prayers, I took the opportunity of being with his Royal Majesty (Asagba of Asaba) to make this public apology on behalf of myself and government of Nigeria at that time and to ask for forgiveness as we have to look at the future. I feel very touched when we acme this time to hear his majesty refer to it again."
The problem with what otherwise would have been an excellent apology is that part of it where Gowon was implying that: one, he did not know about the genocidal campaigns at that time, two, that he did not know until it appeared in papers and a book and three, if he has known at the time he would certainly have done something to stop it. But unfortunately for General Gowon, with all due respect, the facts are not on his side.

One of the most contradictory facts to demonstrate the inaccuracy of Gowon’s assertion comes from Gowon’s own wartime Federal Information Commissioner and foremost Nigerian war propagandist during the civil war, Chief Anthony Enahoro. In the first few months of 1998, one Jumoke Ogunkeyede, head of the "United Committee to Save Nigeria" organized a kind of reconciliation meeting between Chief Anthony Enahoro and some Igbos in New Jersey, USA. In that meeting, and in answer to one of the questions posed to Chief Enahoro about his anti-Biafran role during the civil war, Chief Enahoro, who thankfully, is alive and well today, said in part:

[b]"Do you really know anything about what happened during that war? I was the one that stopped late Gen. Murtala Mohammed from further massacre of innocent children and mothers. At a point when Britain refused to sell further arms to Nigeria because they had ample evidence from the Red Cross of the federal forces killing innocent civilians, I confronted Gowon with the fact and that the only way I can get Britain through my contact with their High Commissioner to resume a supply of weapon to Nigeria was that Murtala had to leave that war sector. Either Murtala leaves or I will have to leave his cabinet. Gowon told me that he is willing to call a meeting and on the condition I will be the one to confront Murtala. If there was anybody that Gowon feared so much it was Murtala Mohammed. At the meeting of the Federal Executive Council, I confronted Mohammed with elaborate evidence complete with photographs. He was livid. He could not refute them so he resorted to calling me all sorts of names prompting me to observe before the council that if he was a fine officer as he claims to be, he should not be acting the way he was acting. Needless to say that I was instrumental to his withdrawal from that sector and subsequent appointment as a minister". (See "The Nigerian and Africa" magazine, March 1998, page 10)[/b]

From this uncoerced and uninduced testimony of Chief Enahoro, who incidentally is still alive today, one can make the following observations:

That Murtala’s genocidal campaign against the Midwestern Igbos was well known and documented by the Red Cross
That the genocide imperiled Nigerian’s ability to secure arms supply from Britain.
That in attempt to maintain British arms supply to Nigeria, Chief Enahoro confronted Gowon with this reality widely documented by the Red Cross.
That Gowon was reluctant to confront Murtala with the allegation and indeed would not confront Murtala with it unless Enahoro would do it by himself, which he did, and
That it took a threat from Enahoro to Gowon "to leave his cabinet", for Gowon to eventually address the issue and remove Murtala and commander of the 2nd infantry Division.
I must say that Enahoro’s sincerity in his testimony is commendable. Enahoro admitted that his quest to stop Murtala’s murderous campaign among the Midwestern Igbos was to save the British arms supply to Nigeria and not out of sympathy or concern for the lives of those Igbos for whatever they were worth (at least not on the record). I think that Gowon should emulate this Enahoro’s sincerity and not come 34 years later to claim that he didn’t know something he abundantly knew.

Nor is Enahoro’s testimony in isolation as facts contrary to Gowon’s claim of oblivion of events in the Midwest at the time. The New York Times, on its April 5, 1968 issue, carried the following story "in relation to Murtala’s genocidal campaign in the Midwest"

Monsignor Rochcau, one of the two papal delegates representing Pope Paul VI in Nigeria, reports in Le Monde, a Paris newspaper, today that "between Benin and Asaba only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men".

It is common knowledge that Nigerian diplomats during the war read every major newspaper in search of "Biafran propaganda" to neutralize. I don’t know how Gowon could claim he did not know of a genocidal activity that was widely reported by the Red Cross and prominent foreign newspapers. Furthermore, it is a fact of history that the three Division Commanders that Gowon unleashed on Biafra were ruthless human beings with proven genocidal propensities: Col. Mohammed Shuwa- commander of the First Infantry Division, Col. Murtala Mohammed, commander of the 2nd Division and Col. Benjamin Adekunle, Commander of the third Marine Division. Murtala’s genocidal instincts and campaign have already been discussed above.

The military campaign of 1st Division commander, Col. Mohammed Shuwa (and Col. Theophilus Danjuma, his deputy Commander) was no less ruthless than that of Col Mohammed, even though it was less universally known. In military campaigns, it is usually assumed that more senior military officers are more restrained from unnecessary violence and that they also tend to act to restrain the lower ranks from unnecessary indiscipline and wantonness in their campaign. But regrettably, this was quite the opposite with Col. Mohammed Shuwa and his top officers that invaded Biafra from the north in July 1967. On the contrary, Col Shuwa actually mandated his troops to exercise the utmost violence on the Biafrans.

A New York Times war correspondent who visited Shuwa and Danjuma’s command headquarters in Makurdi in the last week of October 1967 found a directive dated September 16, 1967, issued as a general order (G.O.) hanging on the bulletin board. It has been issued by Col Shuwa to his troops:

"You are therefore required to push ahead ruthlessly to vanquish the rebels in your way. You will tell this to all your men because rebels have no honor and no respect for the dignity of mankind. You are bound to have heavier casualties than hitherto but you cannot win a war without heavy casualties" (See New York Times, Tuesday, October 24, 1967, p 20, Column 3)

Notice that Shuwa’s command for ruthlessness against the Biafrans (who have no honor) did not distinguish between civilians and uniformed men. And his troops carried out his instructions beyond the call of duty. As a 12-year old boy in January 1966 when the Balewa government was overthrown, there are many things I believed in Biafra, which with additional reading after the war, I have to come to discard as Biafran propaganda. But I still believe that the officers and men of the 1st division under Cols Shuwa and Danjuma were the most violent known to man (at least to me). One needed to be in Enugu in the later part of 1967 to see gouged-out eyes, amputated limbs, fractured skulls and horror stories of Nsukka refugees pouring into Enugu and environs, to appreciate the violent propensity of Shuwa, Danjuma and their men, in furtherance of Shuwa;s ruthlessness order. At my age then, I may not have known the intricate details of the cause of the war, but I certainly was old enough to recognize brutality, savagery, mayhem and wantonness when I saw one especially as practiced by Nigerian troops. Can Gowon say he didn’t know about Col Shuwa’s ruthlessness order and the atrocities that followed it, when New York Times covered it and the whole world knew? He has no way to explain it. If he knew and did nothing, of course, that’s not good for him. If he, on the other hand, as Supreme Commander, did not know that his troops carried out such atrocities and were capable of doing so, it doesn’t speak well of him either.

Now, here comes Africa’s famous Black Scorpion, Col. Benjamin Adekunle, whose genocidal instincts against Biafrans were well documented by reporters that covered the war. Addressing war correspondents at his Divisional Headquarters in the compound of Saint Michael’s Anglican Church and School in Elelewa on May 17, 1968, Col Adekunle told them with visible delight that he has besieged thousands of Biafrans inside the city of Port Harcourt "with no escape route except to jump in the water". (See New York Times, May 20, 1968, page 1, col 7). In another interview with reporters on July 14, 1968, he termed all relief plans for Biafra as "Misguided humanitarian rubbish".

In an interview with the Economist, a British magazine, reproduced in New York Times, Col Adekunle, in answer to a question about Biafran relief, proclaimed further. "I want to see no red cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no U.N. delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo having even one thing to eat before their capitulation." (See Sunday New York Times Sept. 8, 1968, Sec. IV, p29). On another occasion, Col. Adekunle told the interviewer that in Biafra, "we shoot at everything that moves", and in response to another reporter’s question about how he would treat Biafrans when he gets into the "heartland of the Igbos", he replied "Then we shoot at everything, even things that don’t move." (id)

When these utterances are put together: "… no escape route except to jump in the water", "Misguided humanitarian rubbish", "I want to prevent even one Ibo having even one thing to eat…", "Then we shoot at everything, even things that don’t move." especially coming in quick succession from a Division Commander, it is no surprise that the ordinary ranks of the 3rd Division were beset with indiscipline, wantonness and violence towards Biafrans, as abundantly documented by war correspondents, missionaries and relief workers. Is Gowon implying that he did not know these well documented genocidal utterances from one of his most flamboyant and outspoken commanders during the war? To claim that will be nothing short of drawing a wool over the eyes of the Igbos, and deny his apology of sincerity and genuineness. Again, Gowon, with all due respect, might think that a smart way to escape responsibility is to feign ignorance of atrocities meted out by his troops. But indeed, rather, its smirks of naivety and aloofness for a Supreme Commander to claim ignorance of atrocities of his troops which were well documented by reporters and widely known to journalists, foreign diplomats and relief workers at that time.

On a personal note, I did not know the magnitude of the Midwestern massacre of the Igbos by Murtala’ forces until after additional reading after the end of the war. My limited knowledge came from an Asaba family with whom we shared space in a refugee camp in Uzuakoli. It will be recalled that after Murtala Mohammed’s two abysmally abortive attempts to take Onitsha from Asaba, he went up North and crossed the River Niger somewhere around Idah and then descended towards Ontisha on the Eastern bank. His "death and destruction" machine passed through my hometown in the first week of January 1968 on its way to Onitsha. Because of the unbelievable injuries visible on the refugees from Nsukka, their horror stories and the sheer rumble of Mohammed’s artillery and other hardware, everyone fled for their lives. The few people that attempted to remain were forever very sorry.

As my hometown evacuated, my mother’s uncle took us (my parents and my siblings) to Aba where we squatted in his house. Subsequently, Port Harcourt was evacuated and not too long after, artillery explosion became audible in Aba. In the course of time, all of a sudden, one evening, artillery explosions south of Aba became ground shaking in Aba. That same evening, the artillery frequency gradually increased from about one every minute to every 30 seconds to every few second to couplet, triplet and quadruplet instantaneous explosions. Luckily for us, my father, a carpenter with the Nigerian Railways, stationed at Umoba (2 or 3 train stations North of Aba) was visiting us on that day. By 2am, everybody was awake with multiple back to back unrelenting artillery bombardment. Right then, my mother’s uncle, my grandmother and my father said we must start packing immediately to leave Aba in the morning for Umoba where my father was stationed.

We arrived Umoba the next day but within 48 hours, artillery was shaking Umoba as it was in Aba two days before. My father went to the railway station at Umoba and was told that Umoba was on "evacuation standby" and that he should report for work at Umuahia for further instructions. In the midst of fear, terror and uncertainly, my father simply put all of us in a train headed north towards Umuahia with no real destination. My father didn’t want us to stay in Umuahia because of unrelenting air raid of civilians but he wasn’t sure where to keep us. In any case, that decision was made easy for him when the train grounded at Uzoakoli (2 or 3 train stations, north of Umuahia). The railway station master told my father that one of the refugee camps still had space and was still accepting people. My father, who wanted us to be in a private residence but couldn’t afford it, took us to the Anglican Primary School refugee camp near the railway station and we were registered and given space.

The refugee camp was really crowded with four families sharing each small classroom, each family to each of the four corners of the classroom. So two days after we arrived, one of the families in our classroom space moved away and an Asaba woman with three children took the spot. Her oldest daughter, 11-years old Adannia (daughter of her father) immediately struck a friendship with my 11-year old immediate younger sister and our two families became close. My father was finally posted to Umuahia.

But strangely enough, Mama Ada, as we called Adannia’s mother, would cry all night and never sleep, at least for the first few weeks. In the morning, my mother would be all over her asking why she cried all night and would never sleep, and she would say nothing. Then later, I and my younger sister pressed Adannia, her daughter, and she told us that Nigerian soldiers killed her father and her oldest brother in Asaba and forced them to watch their execution. Then we told my mother what Adannia told us, and my mother confronted Mama Ada with the story and only then did she open up. The she showed my mother her right shoulder which was a little out of joint and told my mother it was inflicted on her by the same soldiers. And my mother said, how? She said she insisted to the Nigerian troops that since she and her kids were forced to watch the execution of her crying and begging husband and son, that she must give them burials before continuing with her flight out of Asaba. It was during the struggle for the bodies of her husband and son, that they hit her on the right shoulder with the but of the gun. When she fell, they threw the bodies of her husband and son into the back of their land rover and drove away. And my mother said, "if they were heartless enough to kill your husband and son in your presence, you should not even engage them for their bodies. They could have killed you too.". And she said, "I did not know what I was doing"

I hope that Mama Ada and her children survived the war, because my family left Uzuakoli in the course of time because of relentless air raid on civilians. And up till that time, she still had not recovered from her very traumatic experience. I can only hope that after escaping the sword of Mohammed in Asaba, she did not succumb to Gowon’s unrelenting air raid of Uzuakoli. I had thought that Mama Adannia’s story and experience was an isolated incident in Asaba until I did some reading after the war and realized the scope and magnitude of General Murtala Mohammed’s genocidal campaign in Asaba.

In conclusion, I must say that I commend Gowon for bringing himself to grabble with an apology to the Igbos because, to be fair to him, apology is not a word commonly found in the dictionary of African leaders. However, having summoned the courage in the first place, he should do so without attempting to change the facts, a phenomenon that will have the opposite effect of depriving his apology of sincerity and genuineness. The facts are not broken, and they don’t need to be fixed. Also, it must be stressed that this writer has nothing personal against General Murtala Mohammed. I, like most Nigerians, admire his short-lived attempt in 1976 to reform Nigeria, albeit with ruthlessness, and I am glad for him that his name graces the busiest airport in the country. But his military excesses and overreaching are also part of his history and are needed for a balanced analysis of his legacy, especially when it is recalled that the same Murtala Mohammed and his friend, Theophilus Danjuma, oversaw the killing of over 300 Igbo army officers and men in less than 72 hours from July 29 to August 1, 1966.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by sandee575(f): 4:41pm On Sep 17, 2011
War is War. Anything can happen during wartime. Check your history.
War crimes is purely an academic definition. Dont declare secession
if you dont want war. The oil is for Nigeria not just Biafra alone.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by tubolancer(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2011
This is a very sad story,the igbo family had really suffered a lot,God curse Muhammed for what he did to the igbo race,very soon we shall change the name of the airport they name after him. Reading these story about the massacres of the igbo made me shed tears and feel terrible pain.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by T8ksy(m): 5:52pm On Sep 17, 2011
@ Op,

war is never an old women's tea party hence people then adviced Ojukwu to seek a peaceful resolution to

whatever grieviances the igbos have against the north. However, Ojukwu refused saying the only confrontation he

will have with the north is on the battlefield. Only to then ran off in the middle of the night (after the loss of over a

million nigerians) in search of PEACE!!! The same peace he vehemently refused 30 months earlier.

What a jack****!!!

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by alex14(m): 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2011
Ndigbo should never forget all the past atrocities committed against them in the past. Igbo should also bear in mind that the devilish non-Igbos will always try to shout them down as we(Igbo) try to tell our story. The main strategy for the Igbo nation is not to seek for understanding or forgiveness from the perpetrators of those evil acts against them,,,rather the aim now is to get even. The evil doers must never be allowed to go unpurnished, so as to send a clear message to their future descendants!

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Dede1(m): 6:19pm On Sep 17, 2011
Justcash:

GOWON’S APOLOGY TO THE IGBOS LACKS SINCERITY

since he retuned from exile in Britain (after he was pardoned by former President Shehu Shagari for his alleged role in the overthrow of General Murtala Mohammed), retired Gen. Yakubu Gowon has undoubtedly tried to make amends and to also be fruitful in the daily life of Nigerian governance. He has made apologies to the Igbos and others, has organized the "Nigeria Prays" movement and in late 2002, with former President Shehu Shagari, intervened in the impeachment deadlock between Obasanjo and the Federal legislature. However, it is important that as Gowon makes up for his civil war shortcomings and excesses, he avoids one important thing: trying to change the undisputed and documented facts of the war, and that brings me to the speech and apology made by Gowon to the Igbos in Asaba on or about December 09, 2002, covered by reporter Austin Ogwuda, titled "Gowon faults setting up of Oputa panel" and reproduced in Nigeriaworld.com.

In that speech, and in the course of his apology, Gowon tried to change the facts of history by claiming that he was unaware of Gen. Murtala Mohammed’s genocidal instincts and the actual genocidal campaigns he carried out west of the Niger, between Asaba and Agbor. That denial of knowledge, in the face of abundant and contrary facts, undercut Gowon’s apology and denied it of sincerity and genuineness. In that Gowon’s speech at the Asaba Township Stadium, Asaba, Gen. Gowon said in part:

"It came to me as a shock when I came to know about the unfortunate happenings that happened to the sons and daughters of this state especially of this (Asaba) domain. I felt very touched and honestly I referred to it (killings) and ask for forgiveness being the one who was in charge that time. Certainly, it is not something that I would have approved of in whatsoever. I was made ignorant of it, I think until it appeared in the papers. A young man wrote a book at that time… It just happened seven hours ago when I was visiting the state for our nation prayers, I took the opportunity of being with his Royal Majesty (Asagba of Asaba) to make this public apology on behalf of myself and government of Nigeria at that time and to ask for forgiveness as we have to look at the future. I feel very touched when we acme this time to hear his majesty refer to it again."
The problem with what otherwise would have been an excellent apology is that part of it where Gowon was implying that: one, he did not know about the genocidal campaigns at that time, two, that he did not know until it appeared in papers and a book and three, if he has known at the time he would certainly have done something to stop it. But unfortunately for General Gowon, with all due respect, the facts are not on his side.

One of the most contradictory facts to demonstrate the inaccuracy of Gowon’s assertion comes from Gowon’s own wartime Federal Information Commissioner and foremost Nigerian war propagandist during the civil war, Chief Anthony Enahoro. In the first few months of 1998, one Jumoke Ogunkeyede, head of the "United Committee to Save Nigeria" organized a kind of reconciliation meeting between Chief Anthony Enahoro and some Igbos in New Jersey, USA. In that meeting, and in answer to one of the questions posed to Chief Enahoro about his anti-Biafran role during the civil war, Chief Enahoro, who thankfully, is alive and well today, said in part:

[b]"Do you really know anything about what happened during that war? I was the one that stopped late Gen. Murtala Mohammed from further massacre of innocent children and mothers. At a point when Britain refused to sell further arms to Nigeria because they had ample evidence from the Red Cross of the federal forces killing innocent civilians, I confronted Gowon with the fact and that the only way I can get Britain through my contact with their High Commissioner to resume a supply of weapon to Nigeria was that Murtala had to leave that war sector. Either Murtala leaves or I will have to leave his cabinet. Gowon told me that he is willing to call a meeting and on the condition I will be the one to confront Murtala. If there was anybody that Gowon feared so much it was Murtala Mohammed. At the meeting of the Federal Executive Council, I confronted Mohammed with elaborate evidence complete with photographs. He was livid. He could not refute them so he resorted to calling me all sorts of names prompting me to observe before the council that if he was a fine officer as he claims to be, he should not be acting the way he was acting. Needless to say that I was instrumental to his withdrawal from that sector and subsequent appointment as a minister". (See "The Nigerian and Africa" magazine, March 1998, page 10)[/b]

From this uncoerced and uninduced testimony of Chief Enahoro, who incidentally is still alive today, one can make the following observations:

That Murtala’s genocidal campaign against the Midwestern Igbos was well known and documented by the Red Cross
That the genocide imperiled Nigerian’s ability to secure arms supply from Britain.
That in attempt to maintain British arms supply to Nigeria, Chief Enahoro confronted Gowon with this reality widely documented by the Red Cross.
That Gowon was reluctant to confront Murtala with the allegation and indeed would not confront Murtala with it unless Enahoro would do it by himself, which he did, and
That it took a threat from Enahoro to Gowon "to leave his cabinet", for Gowon to eventually address the issue and remove Murtala and commander of the 2nd infantry Division.
I must say that Enahoro’s sincerity in his testimony is commendable. Enahoro admitted that his quest to stop Murtala’s murderous campaign among the Midwestern Igbos was to save the British arms supply to Nigeria and not out of sympathy or concern for the lives of those Igbos for whatever they were worth (at least not on the record). I think that Gowon should emulate this Enahoro’s sincerity and not come 34 years later to claim that he didn’t know something he abundantly knew.

Nor is Enahoro’s testimony in isolation as facts contrary to Gowon’s claim of oblivion of events in the Midwest at the time. The New York Times, on its April 5, 1968 issue, carried the following story "in relation to Murtala’s genocidal campaign in the Midwest"

Monsignor Rochcau, one of the two papal delegates representing Pope Paul VI in Nigeria, reports in Le Monde, a Paris newspaper, today that "between Benin and Asaba only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men".

It is common knowledge that Nigerian diplomats during the war read every major newspaper in search of "Biafran propaganda" to neutralize. I don’t know how Gowon could claim he did not know of a genocidal activity that was widely reported by the Red Cross and prominent foreign newspapers. Furthermore, it is a fact of history that the three Division Commanders that Gowon unleashed on Biafra were ruthless human beings with proven genocidal propensities: Col. Mohammed Shuwa- commander of the First Infantry Division, Col. Murtala Mohammed, commander of the 2nd Division and Col. Benjamin Adekunle, Commander of the third Marine Division. Murtala’s genocidal instincts and campaign have already been discussed above.

The military campaign of 1st Division commander, Col. Mohammed Shuwa (and Col. Theophilus Danjuma, his deputy Commander) was no less ruthless than that of Col Mohammed, even though it was less universally known. In military campaigns, it is usually assumed that more senior military officers are more restrained from unnecessary violence and that they also tend to act to restrain the lower ranks from unnecessary indiscipline and wantonness in their campaign. But regrettably, this was quite the opposite with Col. Mohammed Shuwa and his top officers that invaded Biafra from the north in July 1967. On the contrary, Col Shuwa actually mandated his troops to exercise the utmost violence on the Biafrans.

A New York Times war correspondent who visited Shuwa and Danjuma’s command headquarters in Makurdi in the last week of October 1967 found a directive dated September 16, 1967, issued as a general order (G.O.) hanging on the bulletin board. It has been issued by Col Shuwa to his troops:

"You are therefore required to push ahead ruthlessly to vanquish the rebels in your way. You will tell this to all your men because rebels have no honor and no respect for the dignity of mankind. You are bound to have heavier casualties than hitherto but you cannot win a war without heavy casualties" (See New York Times, Tuesday, October 24, 1967, p 20, Column 3)

Notice that Shuwa’s command for ruthlessness against the Biafrans (who have no honor) did not distinguish between civilians and uniformed men. And his troops carried out his instructions beyond the call of duty. As a 12-year old boy in January 1966 when the Balewa government was overthrown, there are many things I believed in Biafra, which with additional reading after the war, I have to come to discard as Biafran propaganda. But I still believe that the officers and men of the 1st division under Cols Shuwa and Danjuma were the most violent known to man (at least to me). One needed to be in Enugu in the later part of 1967 to see gouged-out eyes, amputated limbs, fractured skulls and horror stories of Nsukka refugees pouring into Enugu and environs, to appreciate the violent propensity of Shuwa, Danjuma and their men, in furtherance of Shuwa;s ruthlessness order. At my age then, I may not have known the intricate details of the cause of the war, but I certainly was old enough to recognize brutality, savagery, mayhem and wantonness when I saw one especially as practiced by Nigerian troops. Can Gowon say he didn’t know about Col Shuwa’s ruthlessness order and the atrocities that followed it, when New York Times covered it and the whole world knew? He has no way to explain it. If he knew and did nothing, of course, that’s not good for him. If he, on the other hand, as Supreme Commander, did not know that his troops carried out such atrocities and were capable of doing so, it doesn’t speak well of him either.

Now, here comes Africa’s famous Black Scorpion, Col. Benjamin Adekunle, whose genocidal instincts against Biafrans were well documented by reporters that covered the war. Addressing war correspondents at his Divisional Headquarters in the compound of Saint Michael’s Anglican Church and School in Elelewa on May 17, 1968, Col Adekunle told them with visible delight that he has besieged thousands of Biafrans inside the city of Port Harcourt "with no escape route except to jump in the water". (See New York Times, May 20, 1968, page 1, col 7). In another interview with reporters on July 14, 1968, he termed all relief plans for Biafra as "Misguided humanitarian rubbish".

In an interview with the Economist, a British magazine, reproduced in New York Times, Col Adekunle, in answer to a question about Biafran relief, proclaimed further. "I want to see no red cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no U.N. delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo having even one thing to eat before their capitulation." (See Sunday New York Times Sept. 8, 1968, Sec. IV, p29). On another occasion, Col. Adekunle told the interviewer that in Biafra, "we shoot at everything that moves", and in response to another reporter’s question about how he would treat Biafrans when he gets into the "heartland of the Igbos", he replied "Then we shoot at everything, even things that don’t move." (id)

When these utterances are put together: "… no escape route except to jump in the water", "Misguided humanitarian rubbish", "I want to prevent even one Ibo having even one thing to eat…", "Then we shoot at everything, even things that don’t move." especially coming in quick succession from a Division Commander, it is no surprise that the ordinary ranks of the 3rd Division were beset with indiscipline, wantonness and violence towards Biafrans, as abundantly documented by war correspondents, missionaries and relief workers. Is Gowon implying that he did not know these well documented genocidal utterances from one of his most flamboyant and outspoken commanders during the war? To claim that will be nothing short of drawing a wool over the eyes of the Igbos, and deny his apology of sincerity and genuineness. Again, Gowon, with all due respect, might think that a smart way to escape responsibility is to feign ignorance of atrocities meted out by his troops. But indeed, rather, its smirks of naivety and aloofness for a Supreme Commander to claim ignorance of atrocities of his troops which were well documented by reporters and widely known to journalists, foreign diplomats and relief workers at that time.

On a personal note, I did not know the magnitude of the Midwestern massacre of the Igbos by Murtala’ forces until after additional reading after the end of the war. My limited knowledge came from an Asaba family with whom we shared space in a refugee camp in Uzuakoli. It will be recalled that after Murtala Mohammed’s two abysmally abortive attempts to take Onitsha from Asaba, he went up North and crossed the River Niger somewhere around Idah and then descended towards Ontisha on the Eastern bank. His "death and destruction" machine passed through my hometown in the first week of January 1968 on its way to Onitsha. Because of the unbelievable injuries visible on the refugees from Nsukka, their horror stories and the sheer rumble of Mohammed’s artillery and other hardware, everyone fled for their lives. The few people that attempted to remain were forever very sorry.

As my hometown evacuated, my mother’s uncle took us (my parents and my siblings) to Aba where we squatted in his house. Subsequently, Port Harcourt was evacuated and not too long after, artillery explosion became audible in Aba. In the course of time, all of a sudden, one evening, artillery explosions south of Aba became ground shaking in Aba. That same evening, the artillery frequency gradually increased from about one every minute to every 30 seconds to every few second to couplet, triplet and quadruplet instantaneous explosions. Luckily for us, my father, a carpenter with the Nigerian Railways, stationed at Umoba (2 or 3 train stations North of Aba) was visiting us on that day. By 2am, everybody was awake with multiple back to back unrelenting artillery bombardment. Right then, my mother’s uncle, my grandmother and my father said we must start packing immediately to leave Aba in the morning for Umoba where my father was stationed.

We arrived Umoba the next day but within 48 hours, artillery was shaking Umoba as it was in Aba two days before. My father went to the railway station at Umoba and was told that Umoba was on "evacuation standby" and that he should report for work at Umuahia for further instructions. In the midst of fear, terror and uncertainly, my father simply put all of us in a train headed north towards Umuahia with no real destination. My father didn’t want us to stay in Umuahia because of unrelenting air raid of civilians but he wasn’t sure where to keep us. In any case, that decision was made easy for him when the train grounded at Uzoakoli (2 or 3 train stations, north of Umuahia). The railway station master told my father that one of the refugee camps still had space and was still accepting people. My father, who wanted us to be in a private residence but couldn’t afford it, took us to the Anglican Primary School refugee camp near the railway station and we were registered and given space.

The refugee camp was really crowded with four families sharing each small classroom, each family to each of the four corners of the classroom. So two days after we arrived, one of the families in our classroom space moved away and an Asaba woman with three children took the spot. Her oldest daughter, 11-years old Adannia (daughter of her father) immediately struck a friendship with my 11-year old immediate younger sister and our two families became close. My father was finally posted to Umuahia.

But strangely enough, Mama Ada, as we called Adannia’s mother, would cry all night and never sleep, at least for the first few weeks. In the morning, my mother would be all over her asking why she cried all night and would never sleep, and she would say nothing. Then later, I and my younger sister pressed Adannia, her daughter, and she told us that Nigerian soldiers killed her father and her oldest brother in Asaba and forced them to watch their execution. Then we told my mother what Adannia told us, and my mother confronted Mama Ada with the story and only then did she open up. The she showed my mother her right shoulder which was a little out of joint and told my mother it was inflicted on her by the same soldiers. And my mother said, how? She said she insisted to the Nigerian troops that since she and her kids were forced to watch the execution of her crying and begging husband and son, that she must give them burials before continuing with her flight out of Asaba. It was during the struggle for the bodies of her husband and son, that they hit her on the right shoulder with the but of the gun. When she fell, they threw the bodies of her husband and son into the back of their land rover and drove away. And my mother said, "if they were heartless enough to kill your husband and son in your presence, you should not even engage them for their bodies. They could have killed you too.". And she said, "I did not know what I was doing"

I hope that Mama Ada and her children survived the war, because my family left Uzuakoli in the course of time because of relentless air raid on civilians. And up till that time, she still had not recovered from her very traumatic experience. I can only hope that after escaping the sword of Mohammed in Asaba, she did not succumb to Gowon’s unrelenting air raid of Uzuakoli. I had thought that Mama Adannia’s story and experience was an isolated incident in Asaba until I did some reading after the war and realized the scope and magnitude of General Murtala Mohammed’s genocidal campaign in Asaba.

In conclusion, I must say that I commend Gowon for bringing himself to grabble with an apology to the Igbos because, to be fair to him, apology is not a word commonly found in the dictionary of African leaders. However, having summoned the courage in the first place, he should do so without attempting to change the facts, a phenomenon that will have the opposite effect of depriving his apology of sincerity and genuineness. The facts are not broken, and they don’t need to be fixed. Also, it must be stressed that this writer has nothing personal against General Murtala Mohammed. I, like most Nigerians, admire his short-lived attempt in 1976 to reform Nigeria, albeit with ruthlessness, and I am glad for him that his name graces the busiest airport in the country. But his military excesses and overreaching are also part of his history and are needed for a balanced analysis of his legacy, especially when it is recalled that the same Murtala Mohammed and his friend, Theophilus Danjuma, oversaw the killing of over 300 Igbo army officers and men in less than 72 hours from July 29 to August 1, 1966.

Gowon’s insincerity and denials know no boundaries. He denied the involvement in July 29, 1966 coup and looking the other way when the non-armed civilians and children of the Ndigbo and other easterners were murdered in northern Nigeria by civilians and soldiers from northern region of Nigeria. The dude is a cause to Nigeria. I pray the mayhem in Jos and the activities of Boko Haram to continue incessantly in order to see the disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria.

At least, Murtala Mohammed acknowledged the massacre in Asaba but vehemently denied issuing such murderous order to Lt Col Francis Aisida, the Yoruba son, whose 8th brigade was involved in the dastardly act of massacre in Asaba.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Dede1(m): 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2011
alex_101:

Ndigbo should never forget all the past atrocities committed against them in the past. Igbo should also bear in mind that the devilish non-Igbos (who fought against Biafra) will always try to shout them down as we(Igbo) try to tell our story. The main strategy for the Igbo nation is not to seek for understanding or forgiveness from the perpetrators of those evil acts against them,,,rather the aim now is to get even. The evil doers must never be allowed to go unpurnished, so as to send a clear message to their future descendants!

This statement must be guided as a doctrine taught to every Igbo person, born or unborn.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Onlytruth(m): 7:31pm On Sep 17, 2011
Reading so much about Murtala Mohammed's genocidal exploits before and during the war makes me wonder why Igbo people ever supported the idea of having Murtala's head on a Naira note (N20), and having an international airport named after him.

I really think that we can do something about both. We can start a petition and agitation to remove his head from N20 note and the international airport in Lagos.

If they refuse to do so, we can boycott both and create a massive problem for the system. We are not powerless over this one.

I already feel that way about N20 notes.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:33pm On Sep 17, 2011
sandee575:

War is War. Anything can happen during wartime. Check your history.
War crimes is purely an academic definition. Dont declare secession
if you dont want war. The oil is for Nigeria not just Biafra alone.

^^^ "War is war" abi? The slaughter in cold blood of families; young boys and children is ok in your books b'cos "war is war". You really are a shameless, cold-hearted sack of shi*t, you know that don't you?

B'cos it's 'okoro man' as the victim, "war is war" and instead of you to condemn apparent wickedness, your materialistic shameless mind went straight to 'OYEL'.

I'd like to see your people engaged in a war to save themselves from annihilation; for the enemy you're fighting to come to your town and wipe out your entire family in cold blood, with all the young males shot on sight; and for you to stand up and declare it's ok as "war is war".

"War is war" when all the rules of engagement are respected (that's why there's the Geneva conventions), and there's no recourse to evil pogroms just b'cos you find the enemy hard to beat.

Do you think Gowons people will today be saying "war is war" as Fulani herdsmen and their Niger cousins resort to cowardly and shameless tactics in their fight with the Beroms?

"They came for my neighbour, and i laughed at his plight. Now they've come for me, there's nobody to turn to for help!!!"

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by JamesDoe: 7:46pm On Sep 17, 2011
How does one forget Genocide? How does one sleep at night knowing genocidial maniacs are being hailed as heros?

I'm not an Igbo man, (I'm Yoruba) but Nigeria needs war memorials and remembrance days. If the South East chooses to leave then they have every right.

What's fair is fair. You can't sit on any region and force them to remain part of some dead oyinbo man's project.

I would like the Nigerian project to succeed but 100 years of failure is too expensive especially if regions are agitating to be free.

I never quite understood why Muritala is revered. He was a poor soldier, a terrible leader and a genocidial maniac!

4 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Rgp92: 7:47pm On Sep 17, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^ "War is war" abi? The slaughter in cold blood of families; young boys and children is ok in your books b'cos "war is war". You really are a shameless, cold-hearted sack of shi*t, you know that don't you?

B'cos it's 'okoro man' as the victim, "war is war" and instead of you to condemn apparent wickedness, your materialistic shameless mind went straight to 'OYEL'.

I'd like to see your people engaged in a war to save themselves from annihilation; for the enemy you're fighting to come to your town and wipe out your entire family in cold blood, with all the young males shot on sight; and for you to stand up and declare it's ok as "war is war".

"War is war" when all the rules of engagement are respected (that's why there's the Geneva conventions), and there's no recourse to evil pogroms just b'cos you find the enemy hard to beat.

Do you think Gowons people will today be saying "war is war" as Fulani herdsmen and their Niger cousins resort to cowardly and shameless tactics in their fight with the Beroms?

"They came for my neighbour, and i laughed at his plight. Now they've come for me, there's nobody to turn to for help!!!"

War is not a game.

Gowon and murtala muha mad have been dead for long now! The civil war have been over for more than 40 years, isnt it time to move on? Let my ask you a question, have you experience war?

Anyway, murtala muhamad have already paid for his warcrime. The man you people should focus on is Buhari, he killed many civillians and is still alive today.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:49pm On Sep 17, 2011
JamesDoe:

How does one forget Genocide? How does one sleep at night knowing genocidial maniacs are being hailed as heros?

I'm not an Igbo man, (I'm Yoruba) but Nigeria needs war memorials and remembrance days. If the South East chooses to leave then they have every right.

What's fair is fair. You can't sit on any region and force them to remain part of some dead oyinbo man's project.

I would like the Nigerian project to succeed but 100 years of failure is too expensive especially if regions are agitating to be free.

I never quite understood why Muritala is revered. He was a poor soldier, a terrible leader and a genocidial maniac!

^^^ Thankyou bruh. smiley
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Onlytruth(m): 7:57pm On Sep 17, 2011
Posted by: Rgp92

War is not a game.

Gowon and murtala muha mad have been dead for long now! The civil war have been over for more than 40 years, isnt it time to move on? Let my ask you a question, have you experience war?

Anyway,[b] murtala muhamad have already paid for his warcrime. [/b]The man you people should focus on is Buhari, he killed many civillians and is still alive

I don't believe Murtala has paid for his crimes against humanity (at least to us). I know that Satan is cooking his @ss in hell every day, but we need to remove everything concerning him from Nigerian public domain.

As for the thin-necked Buhari, something tells me that he has not escaped yet. I never thought I'd see a perennial genocide going on in middle belt (some of the key commanders of the genocidal Nigerian troops during the war).
So, let's wait for karma to complete her job.

Murtala needs to get out of our N20 notes!
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Rgp92: 8:02pm On Sep 17, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: Rgp92
I don't believe Murtala has paid for his crimes against humanity (at least to us). I know that Satan is cooking his @ss in hell every day, but we need to remove everything concerning him from Nigerian public domain.

As for the thin-necked Buhari, something tells me that he has not escaped yet. I never thought I'd see a perennial genocide going on in middle belt (some of the key commanders of the genocidal Nigerian troops during the war).
So, let's wait for karma to complete her job.

Murtala needs to get out of our N20 notes!

We'll, when we finaly kick the core north out of the union
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by sandee575(f): 6:25pm On Sep 30, 2011

In the history of mankind, every war fought has involved what we academically refer to as war crimes. You have no idea what the
human mind can conceive during the conduct of warfare. The human mind to a great extent "loses it" and the animal comes out. Biafra went
to war rather than embrace the option. When you go to war you should be ready for the consequencies and not come here decades later, shedding
tears and abusing people who refuse to cry with you. Igbo or no igbo, war is war. As for oil, was that not the root of all the evil
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Dede1(m): 6:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
sandee575:

In the history of mankind, every war fought has involved what we academically refer to as war crimes. You have no idea what the
human mind can conceive during the conduct of warfare. The human mind to a great extent "loses it" and the animal comes out. Biafra went
to war rather than embrace the option. When you go to war you should be ready for the consequencies and not come here decades later, shedding
tears and abusing people who refuse to cry with you. Igbo or no igbo, war is war. As for oil, was that not the root of all the evil

You have written like an imbecilic dullard. Please could you inform us what the options Biafra did not embrace?
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by EzeUche(m): 6:45pm On Sep 30, 2011
Many Delta Igbo revile this man's name.

It is stories like this make me want another war.

I hope people remember Germany and their first defeat after WWI. The other European countries mocked them, which caused an even more costly war in which the European continent was bathed in blood.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by sandee575(f): 6:48pm On Sep 30, 2011
You have written like an imbecilic dullard. Please could you inform us what the options Biafra did not embrace?

LOSER, ask your Ojukwu that moronic question. You are of the same stock.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by seanet02: 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2011
EzeUche:

Many Delta Igbo revile this man's name.

It is stories like this make me want another war.

I hope people remember Germany and their first defeat after WWI. The other European countries mocked them, which caused an even more costly war in which the European continent was bathed in blood.
Where TF have you been?
Is there no Internet Connection in Iboland?
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by EzeUche(m): 6:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
seanet02:

Where TF have you been?
Is there no Internet Connection in Iboland?

I think your statement is the closest thing to a welcome back that I should expect from you. grin
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by ak47mann(m): 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2011
Yes Nigerians will pay for their atrocities one can not run away from evil deed,my families that experience that war are still around to see how those Nigerian soldiers with borrowed gun and tanks and planes from Russia and Britain bombing markets women and children massacre upon massacre God in heaven looking down on us watching everything cry i ask him why all these innocent blood being spill in our land Egyptian planes will come in at night and drop touch that light up the whole place so they can destroy any relief agency camps giving food to innocent war victims and genocide  rest upon us, now those unfit Nigerian armies that come out on the street and start shooting market women God have heard their cries and see what is happening in Jos their children are now paying for their evil deeds.As i said b4 what goes around must surely comes around sad angry
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by seanet02: 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2011
EzeUche:

I think your statement is the closest thing to a welcome back that I should expect from you. grin
Hope they did not tried to Kidnap you while on Holidays in Iboland?
I really miss you
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by NegroNtns(m): 7:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
Guys,  we should spend all these spits and speeches in praising and hoping for good outcomes for our people and success and well wishes unto one another.

There was the news recently about Onitsha port getting commissioned soon.  Thats good news and we need to hear more of that.  The success and progress of one is a shared progress and success of all.  Lets look around us and find what is working good and what is doing well to report and discuss on for improvement and progress.  Leave this war thing alone and let it stay in history, we have our lives to live and it should be lived in the now and future.  There is no war now and hopefully not in future but we have bad roads now and we have abandoned projects that need completion, we have single women that are getting old and need husbands and children.  C'mon guys get off this war talks!!
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by Obiagu1(m): 7:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
This is no news any more except that his name and face should be removed from Lagos airport and N20 note.

My point is that an average Hausaman takes delight in killing harmless civilians. A bunch of cowards!
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by LFJ: 7:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
When are we going to stop chasing shadow? Are will not overwhelm with our current situation? Let us think of ways to make our present and future better than looking for who kill who during the war of over 30years.
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by nku5: 7:24pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ James doe - you will live long and you and your children's children shall never see evil. Amen. God bless you for your honesty and unbiased nature
Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by EzeUche(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2011
JamesDoe:

Very good post.

May your days be long.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammad Was A Loser That Took Delight In Killing Civilians During War by oduasolja: 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2011
this is why ojukwu should have negotiated.

war is always a bad thing.

no question .

while i would not have had a problem with the igbos leaving , cus they had every right to leave Nigeria. Their claim to the lands of the minorities and the oil and mineral resources of those lands is and was illegal.

if you reject Nigeria then you automatically reject eastern Nigeria which is a construct of Nigeria. so claiming domain over non igbo land with the construct eastern Nigeria is wrong wrong wrong.

Now if you say the minorities of those lands support you , then you have to prove it in an open and transparent referendum. not some mago mago referendum.

having said all that. theres also no question the war was fought in a brutal and callous way. I feel sorry for all the innocent victims.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lekki Shootings: CNN Shuns Summons By Lagos Panel / 2023: Lagos CAN President Denies Endorsing Tinubu / ₦‎300 Billion Fraud Controversy In NDDC Unsettles Niger Deltans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.