Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard (7054 Views)

Oba Of Benin Death: Our Hearts Are Heavy, Says Oshiomhole / Court Summons Solomon Arase For Contempt, Says Not Above The Law / Niger Delta Youths To Shut Down NLNG Facilities Over Planned Lagos Shipyard. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2011
Jonathan Responds: “South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard”

September 17, 2011 - 20:20 — siteadmin

My attention has been drawn to a story in today’s edition of the online version of The Washington Post  entitled “South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy says not building Nigerian Shipyard”. It is therefore pertinent to clarify the following:

1.   The President of Hyundai Heavy was accompanied to the Aso Rock Presidential Villa on a courtesy call on President Goodluck Jonathan by the Governor of Bayelsa state and a consultant to Hyundai Heavy,  Otunba Ayo Oduntan.

2.   The Governor of Bayelsa as well as the consultant for the project spoke on behalf of the President of Hyundai Heavy who subsequently made a short speech.

3.   The Governor and the project consultant spoke of a multi-billion dollar ship yard and presented a prototype of the proposed project to President Jonathan. Since they made these statements in the presence of the Hyundai Heavy officials, who did not rebut them, the President and his aides present had no reason to disbelieve them.

4.  The President of Hyundai Heavy Industries himself later gave an interview while still within the Presidential villa to a Reuters correspondent and affirmed the statement made by the Governor and chief Ayo Oduntan as follows "My company is going to (sic) $7billion dollars in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard" (see http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFJOE78E0LU20110915)

In conclusion, it is wrong and indeed mischievous to have quoted the President or his office as the author of the statement that Hyundai Heavy planned to build a multi-billion dollar ship yard. These statements were the reported statements of the Governor of Bayelsa State and the project consultant who were responsible for bringing the President of Hyundai Heavy Industries to pay a courtesy call on President Jonathan.

I trust that this clarification will put to rest any issues arising from this matter as the Federal Republic of Nigeria and President Goodluck  Jonathan are desirous of opening up Nigeria to genuine Foreign Direct Investment and welcome any investment that Hyundai Heavy Industries decides to make in Nigeria.

Dr. Reuben Abati,

Special Adviser to the President

(Media and Publicity)

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-responds-“south-korea’s-hyundai-heavy-says-not-building-nigerian-shipyard”
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 11:48pm On Sep 17, 2011
Perhaps, Sylva stumbled in his eagerness to keep his seat.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 11:50pm On Sep 17, 2011
LOL

Jonathan throws Bayelsa Governor under the bus  grin angry grin grin

Incompetent people stumbling all over themselves like babies.

They can't even get their information straight before running to the press. Yeye dey smell.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 12:00am On Sep 18, 2011
^
Nobody has been thrown under any bus.
All you need do is read the Reuters article with your thinking cap on and what actually transpired will become clear as daylight.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 12:11am On Sep 18, 2011
Beaf:

^
Nobody has been thrown under any bus.
All you need do is read the Reuters article with your thinking cap on and what actually transpired will become clear as daylight.

My thinking cap on?

Where will I get that kind of thinking cap from when I'm not sharp like you?

I don't know how to spin bro, all I saw from this whole Korean galala dance was a government that did not adequately confirm its story before gleefully unleashing it on 150 Million people.

Any other thinking and spinning beyond that is above my pay-grade. I'll leave it to smart Alecs like you sir.  grin
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Ufeolorun(m): 12:21am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

My thinking cap on?

I don't know how to spin bro, all I saw from this whole Korean galala dance was a government that did not adequately confirm its story before gleefully unleashing it on 150 Million people.

Any other thinking and spinning beyond that is above my pay-grade. I'll leave it to smart Alecs like you sir.  grin

grin grin
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 12:25am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

My thinking cap on?

Maybe Reuters reporters are fools like Nigerians too? Because the directly quoted the Hyundai president; its there in black and white, so put on your thinking cap bro. Most times in a headlong rush to shout from the rooftops, we expose our weaknesses. Hysteria is not wisdom.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 12:46am On Sep 18, 2011
Beaf:

Maybe Reuters reporters are fools like Nigerians too? Because the directly quoted the Hyundai president; its there in black and white, so put on your thinking cap bro. Most times in a headlong rush to shout from the rooftops, we expose our weaknesses. Hysteria is not wisdom.

I did not elect Reuters. I do not care how careful Reuters is. I expect the highest level of service from a government that gets paid to serve me.

If Reuters got their quote wrong, they answer to their editors and those with responsibility over them.

When The Nigerian Government gets it wrong, they answer to Nigerians. On this one, they apparently failed to wash their teeth before showing it to the camera. Their due diligence was all wrong. I reserve the right to be "hysterical" about that.

But keep the words of wisdom coming sage, I'm enjoying it.  grin
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by EkoIle1: 12:51am On Sep 18, 2011
The questing is, Why is the president of Nigeria doing den say den say? What happened to the golden word in diplomacy *Clarification*

Obviously, the man never asserted any plan to GEJ directly so why did GEJ attributed his lies to the man, why not attribute it to the goon from bayelsa and the yeye consultant?

Unfortunately for GEJ and his 419 move,  he can not fool people all the time. They need to send odechukwu to international school of diplomacy.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Gekko(m): 1:02am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

I did not elect Reuters. I do not care how careful Reuters is. I expect the highest level of service from a government that gets paid to serve me.

If Reuters got their quote wrong, they answer to their editors and those with responsibility over them.

When The Nigerian Government gets it wrong, they answer to Nigerians. On this one, they apparently failed to wash their teeth before showing it to the camera. Their due diligence was all wrong. I reserve the right to be "hysterical" about that.

Sharp mon!

Keep winning bawse!
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by wesley80(m): 1:08am On Sep 18, 2011
Ewure, how does a report that quotes a company's President equal  den say den say? Na who for talk am before it becomes quotable? The cleaner perhaps.
Eko Ile:

The questing is, Why is the president of Nigeria doing den say den say? What happened to the golden word in diplomacy *Clarification*

Obviously, the man never asserted any plan to GEJ directly so why did GEJ attributed his lies to the man, why not attribute it to the goon from bayelsa and the yeye consultant?

Unfortunately for GEJ and his 419 move,  he can not fool people all the time. They need to send odechukwu to international school of diplomacy.

Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 1:09am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

Well, the story happens to have spread from Reuters. Do you think Reuters head office is in Nigeria and their CEO is Dr. Abati?

The Hyundai president made a statement in the presence of international witnesses only to retract it, the man is definitely lying; thats what should be worrying to us, even more than what Reuters who were witnesses on the spot reported.
There are deeper questions involved that merit more than our usual empty NL laugh fests. I find the whole saga quite troubling.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by EkoIle1: 1:40am On Sep 18, 2011
Though I hate quoting double IDs cowards, but I'll attend to your your stupidity this one time.

Anything that was never asserted to you directly, but to other people is den say den say and if I might add odechukwu admitted that it was a discussion between other people that he overheard.

Till you are able to prove to us that the SK man addressed odechukwu directly and odechukwu requested and got confirmation from the same SK man, it's utter den ssy den say.

This is a multi billion dollar investment that should be taken seriously, not something you carelessly play around with. Did odechukwu or his dumb after the fact media mouth put a call to the SK embassy to follow up with more info and clarification? No. The need to fool and lie to nigerians was more important.

wesley80:

Ewure, how does a report that quotes a company's President equal  den say den say? Na who for talk am before it becomes quotable? The cleaner perhaps.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 1:52am On Sep 18, 2011
Beaf:

Well, the story happens to have spread from Reuters. Do you think Reuters head office is in Nigeria and their CEO is Dr. Abati?

The Hyundai president made a statement in the presence of international witnesses only to retract it, the man is definitely lying; thats what should be worrying to us, even more than what Reuters who were witnesses on the spot reported.
There are deeper questions involved that merit more than our usual empty NL laugh fests. I find the whole saga quite troubling.

Spread from Reuters?

Below is the report from Friday showing the president parroting this multi billion dollar lie and mis-information.

It is now a matter of "he said, she said" so as a Nigerian I'm looking as this drama and shaking my head wondering how many times they fail to do due diligence and verify information before acting on it.

They are paid to get things right. I expect an honest apology not all this bravado and stoopid blame shifting Abati wrote I.e "Mr Korea shin shon shing did not shake his head to deny what the consultant and governor said" (my emphasis)  grin

Maybe the korea guy nor hear English, how e wan take confirm or deny?  grin

So you are right there are more questions to ask and I can bet that Hyundai Heavy share holders asked their CEO hence the hurry to clarify. Because a $7Billion investment in an African country just like that is no joke.

I bet they asked him to clarify when they saw the report. Because an unsound $7Billion investment is enough to shift stock prices to some danger zones undecided

My government rushed to the press, they probably rushed to judgment. It's my civic duty to ask call them out on it.

Jonathan hails Hyundai's Nigerian shipyard plan

By Elizabeth Archibong

September 16, 2011 11:57AM
print  email   

The federal government will continue to vigorously implement socio-economic and security reforms that will encourage more foreign investors to come to Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan said Thursday in Abuja.

Speaking at an audience with Jai-Seong Lee, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hyundai Heavy Industries of South Korea, Mr. Jonathan said the Federal Government fully realizes the importance of greater foreign investment for Nigeria's efforts to generate more employment for its youthful population.

The president also welcomed the decision by Hyundai Heavy Industries to establish a multi-billion dollar shipyard at Brass, Bayelsa state, noting that its completion next year will significantly boost Nigeria's economic development and create plenty of jobs for the local population.

He said his administration will, therefore, continue to do everything possible to attract more investors to labour-intensive sectors of the Nigerian economy.
"Hyundai has a long-standing relationship with Nigeria. You have always played a key role in our economy, especially our oil industry. We appreciate what you have done and are elated by your latest investment in the Shipyard at Brass," the President told Mr. Lee.

Mr Jonathan assured Mr Lee that relevant government ministries and agencies will give Hyundai all necessary support to ensure that the shipyard is completed on schedule.

Mr. Lee was accompanied by the Bayelsa State Governor, Timipre Sylva and other Hyundai executives.
He told the President that on completion, the first phase of the Brass Shipyard will provide employment for at least 2,000 Nigerians.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5742160-146/jonathan_hails_hyundais_nigerian_shipyard_plan.csp
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 2:07am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

Spread from Reuters?

Below is the report from Friday showing the president parroting this multi billion dollar lie and mis-information.

It is now a matter of "he said, she said" so as a Nigerian I'm looking as this drama and shaking my head wondering how many times they fail to do due diligence and verify information before acting on it.

They are paid to get things right. I expect an honest apology not all this bravado and stoopid blame shifting Abati wrote I.e "Mr Korea shin shon shing did not shake his head to deny what the consultant and governor said" (my emphasis)  grin

Maybe the korea guy nor hear English, how e wan take confirm or deny?  grin

So you are right there are more questions to ask and I can bet that Hyundai Heavy share holders asked their CEO hence the hurry to clarify. Because a $7Billion investment in an African country just like that is no joke.

I bet they asked him to clarify when they saw the report. Because an unsound $7Billion investment is enough to shift stock prices to some danger zones undecided

My government rushed to the press, they probably rushed to judgment. It's my civic duty to ask call them out on it.

Stop clowning, cos it really doesn't make you look good. Even your report quotes the president of Hyundai Heavy Industries as making the statement, so what exactly is your point?
The owner of a company makes an announcement in front of the Worlds press only to retract it later, and you feel Nigeria is to blame for it? . . .Its "your civic duty to ask call" Nigeria out on it? shocked Is it because the person that lied is a foreigner? Which kain inferiority complex be dat?
I don't understand what you are getting at, you're not making sense, bro,
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by wesley80(m): 2:11am On Sep 18, 2011
@Eko
You prolly had too much 'nmanu' in your ewa agoyin as usual so its no surprise oral dumbfoolery is your favoured vent. If your reasoning head wasnt so badly muffled with congealed palm oil i'm sure you'd be curious to ask why the president of a huge company as Hyundai nodded in agreement with all the assertions thrown at him when he was not fed briskly boiling water like the proverbial lizard such that lent credence to a report carried in the international press. A walk in the sun might just be what you need.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by EkoIle1: 2:25am On Sep 18, 2011
Funny enough, the NEXT article didn't jive with GEJs inept denial. In the article, he detailed how many jobs the project is going to creat and completion date of a year (though I fail to see how completing 7 billion dollar project in any phase is possible in less than a year) but in the denial, he swept any personal knowledge talk less details and dump everything on the laps of the dude from bayelsa.

These clowns are nothing but liars.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 2:52am On Sep 18, 2011
Beaf:

Stop clowning, cos it really doesn't make you look good. Even your report quotes the president of Hyundai Heavy Industries as making the statement, so what exactly is your point?
The owner of a company makes an announcement in front of the Worlds press only to retract it later, and you feel Nigeria is to blame for it? . . .Its "your civic duty to ask call" Nigeria out on it? shocked Is it because the person that lied is a foreigner? Which kain inferiority complex be dat?
I don't understand what you are getting at, you're not making sense, bro,

Clowning? grin

I also see that you are now trying to paint me as some anti-Nigeria person with inferiority complex. Nice try - read my location signature.

My point is very clear, since you missed it, I'll repeat it:

The president (who is definitely not more Nigerian than I am) went to the press without properly clarifying his story. The 234NEXT report has direct quotes from the president.

Mr Korea can answer to his shareholders, that's their headache, Reuters reporters can answer to their newspaper, nah their wahala be that.

The Nigerian president answers to us sir. He rushed out to the press trumpeting a lie about some "multi billion dollar" shipyard  without doing due diligence, that is the issue.

I don't want my president believing every idea without scrutinizing and veryfing it very well. He's my president too. Nor be so?

Keep the spin coming.  grin
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Beaf: 3:42am On Sep 18, 2011
okada_man:

Clowning? grin

I also see that you are now trying to paint me as some anti-Nigeria person with inferiority complex. Nice try - read my location signature.

My point is very clear, since you missed it, I'll repeat it:

The president (who is definitely not more Nigerian than I am) went to the press without properly clarifying his story. The 234NEXT report has direct quotes from the president.

Mr Korea can answer to his shareholders, that's their headache, Reuters reporters can answer to their newspaper, nah their wahala be that.

The Nigerian president answers to us sir. He rushed out to the press trumpeting a lie about some "multi billion dollar" shipyard  without doing due diligence, that is the issue.

I don't want my president believing every idea without scrutinizing and veryfing it very well. He's my president too. Nor be so?

Keep the spin coming.  grin

Take this scenario:

you witness two kids under your care conversing. You watch as one tells huge porkies (perhaps to gain something), then goes to another kid and totally denies lying. You turn up and begin flogging the innocent kid for listening and telling others what the liar said, while leaving the liar to go away scott-free.

. . .Crazy shiite! embarassed

Sadly, nobody is making you into "some anti-Nigeria person with inferiority complex," you are doing that to yourself and its wrong. It's funny that the president of the Worlds biggest ship building company goes to Aso Rock, tells lies only for you turn around to blame your President. In fact, its damn strange.
Why would a man in that position lie? That should be the healthy question troubling the mind.

You even made this statement earlier:

an unsound $7Billion investment is enough to shift stock prices to some danger zones

Why gives a damn if the Korean stock market hits danger zones? Do you even know that Hyundai Heavy Industries makes more money than most, if not all African countries?

The whole thing reads like you feel we are inferior to the Koreans, so its ok to blame ourselves for their lie. Its either that or its a "hop on the bandwagon thing."
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 18, 2011

The president also welcomed the decision by Hyundai Heavy Industries to establish a multi-billion dollar shipyard at Brass, Bayelsa state, noting that its completion next year will significantly boost Nigeria's economic development and create plenty of jobs for the local population.

gejocracy, govt of dullards, by dullards, for dullards

gej actually believed a multi billion dollar facility can be built in  year?

let me enter abati further:

The Governor and the project consultant spoke of a multi-billion dollar ship yard and presented a prototype of the proposed project to President Jonathan.

how does one present a 'prototype' of a shipyard ? perhaps he meant and architectural visualisation, or a model? which he failed to interpret? gej probably saw a video of a vessel delivering /receiving finished pips from the facility and decided it was a shipyard  cheesy

Beaf:

Perhaps, Sylva stumbled in his eagerness to keep his seat.

only in the lala land where beaf resides  cheesy wetin we no go hear? is sylva a minister who gej can sack at will? or has our constitution changed so they no longer have immunity?

BUJA (Reuters) - South Korean group Hyundai Heavy Industries plans to build a $7 billion shipyard in Nigeria's oil region next year, the company's president said on Thursday.

The world's largest shipbuilder said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, the home state of President Goodluck Jonathan in the heart of the oil-rich Niger Delta wetlands.

"My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard," Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.

Lee said the first phase would be completed by 2014. The shipyard will provide services to oil companies operating in Africa's largest energy industry.

The Bayelsa state governor said the government would not invest in the project but it had given Hyundai the land and would build a road to the shipyard.

"For us, the gain is in the jobs they are going to create and the taxes they will be paying to us when they commence operating the shipyard after completion," said Timipre Sylva.

faack me!!

gej!!! i was posting this for something else, but - check this out!!!

from gej -

- The president also welcomed the decision by Hyundai Heavy Industries to establish a multi-billion dollar shipyard at Brass, Bayelsa state, noting that its completion next year will significantly boost Nigeria's economic development and create plenty of jobs for the local population.

from hh -

The world's largest shipbuilder said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, the home state of President Goodluck Jonathan in the heart of the oil-rich Niger Delta wetlands.

"My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard," Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.

Lee said the first phase would be completed by 2014.

wetin we no go hear?

meanwhile this was what i was looking for -

Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.
do reuters have reporters attached to the presidency? our brown envelope galaxy tab transformation parrots simply gave reuters a 'scoop' . end of.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Nobody: 5:56am On Sep 18, 2011
1 South Korean won = 0.000899 U.S. dollars

maybe they meant korean won - comes to $6,230,000 dollars

which comes to N981,000,000

lets give team gej some slack cheesy you know our university don was never very good with numbers cheesy
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Johndoe100(m): 6:02am On Sep 18, 2011
It is sad that the haters are so blinded by their hate that is becoming difficult to have rational dialugue with them. Sometimes I feel that it is better to leave them alone, afterall noone takes them seriously anyway.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 18, 2011
who needs to dialogue with lying dubious , hypocritical anykinsmaninpower (AKIP) incompetent spin and spellers?

nefarious, duplicitous failures like their oga in aso rock.

the story of hyundai heavy's ship yard is the same story of the 20 power stations, the proposed new refineries - etc etc gej, pdp, transformation, its all the same lots of noise but no work done. embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by monkeyleg: 6:04pm On Sep 18, 2011
I think Okada_man has echoed every right thinking persons views. Well done!! professional deceivers and wuru-wuru masters can continue to delude themselves. Oga Presido Phucked up big time, and should have enough simple intelligence to admit it rather than making his case worse in the global eye, but I forgot, the typical Nigerians politician has no shame, So let us lie a BIGGER Lie to cover the first one
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by JamesDoe: 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2011
By the way, the announcement is still on State House Abuja's website!

The story is not attributed to Reuters on State House website so I can only assume State house stands firm,

http://www.nigeriafirst.org/article_11406.shtml
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by maclatunji: 6:24pm On Sep 18, 2011
monkeyleg:

I think Okada_man has echoed every right thinking persons views. Well done!! professional deceivers and wuru-wuru masters can continue to delude themselves. Oga Presido Phucked up big time, and should have enough simple intelligence to admit it rather than making his case worse in the global eye, but I forgot, the typical Nigerians politician has no shame, So let us lie a BIGGER Lie to cover the first one

God bless you.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by omoalaro: 6:39pm On Sep 18, 2011
monkeyleg« #23 on: Today at 06:04:40 PM »

I have actually been wondering how someone's job in Asorock will be to stay glued to Nairaland and dish out lies, defend the indefensible, turn logic on its head and get paid at the end of the month. They must be thinking that we are all dunces on Nairaland.
There is another guy doing exactly the same job somewhere else. His name is DERI, may be same person, different identities.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by yinka85: 6:46pm On Sep 18, 2011
Beaffy is working over-time tonight.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by omoajiri(m): 6:58pm On Sep 18, 2011
, & odechukwu still has more than 3 years to spend there! Wahala dey o!
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by Apollonio: 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2011
yinka85:

Beaffy is working over-time tonight.

If Beaf likes,let him work from now till eternity,there are some gaffes that you cannot spin your way out of.

This Hyundai Heavy Industries´ story is one of such.

Whoever attempts to spin this needs the gift of humility to carry on with his or her life.

The Presidency went low on this.Personally I have accepted that fact and moved on.

@ Okada_man,I appreciate your clear mindedness and patriotism.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by okadaman2: 7:41pm On Sep 18, 2011
^
Thank You.
Re: Jonathan Responds: Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard by emmatok(m): 7:49pm On Sep 18, 2011

President Jonathan hails Hyundai decision to build multi-billion dollar shipyard at Brass
Sep 15, 2011, 17:40

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has said that his administration will continue to vigorously implement socio-economic and security reforms that will encourage more foreign investors to come to Nigeria.

Speaking at an audience with Mr. Jai-Seong Lee, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Hyundai Heavy Industries of South Korea, at the State House on Thursday, September 15, President Jonathan said that the Federal Government fully realizes the importance of greater foreign investment for Nigeria’s efforts to generate more employment for its youthful population.

The President said that his administration will, therefore, continue to do everything possible to attract more investors to labour-intensive sectors of the Nigerian economy.

He welcomed the decision by Hyundai Heavy Industries to establish a multi-billion dollar shipyard at Brass, Bayelsa state, noting that its completion next year will significantly boost Nigeria’s economic development and create plenty of jobs for the local population.

“Hyundai has a long-standing relationship with Nigeria. You have always played a key role in our economy, especially our oil industry. We appreciate what you have done and are elated by your latest investment in the Shipyard at Brass,” President Jonathan told Mr. Lee.

He assured him that relevant government ministries and agencies will give Hyundai all necessary support to ensure that the shipyard is completed on schedule.

Mr. Lee was accompanied by the Bayelsa State Governor, Chief Timipre Sylva and other Hyundai executives.

He told the President that on completion, the first phase of the Brass Shipyard will provide employment for at least 2,000 Nigerians.
http://www.nigeriafirst.org/article_11406.shtml

Hyundai statement
Hyundai Heavy says not building Nigerian shipyard
Associated Press, 09.16.11, 07:03 AM EDT  

SEOUL, South Korea -- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. is denying a statement from Nigeria's presidential office that it plans to build a multibillion dollar shipyard in the country.

Hyundai Heavy spokesman Kim Moon-ju said Friday that the company has no such plan.
A statement late Thursday from President Goodluck Jonathan's office said the shipyard would be built in Brass in Bayelsa state, his home region.

Kim said that Hyundai Heavy President Lee Jai-seong made no such comment during a trip to the country. Kim said the company is building a small pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation, faces crushing unemployment and poverty. The government has promised other projects in the past that failed to materialize.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/09/16/business-as-skorea-nigeria_8683341.html

Abati spin master.
Jonathan Responds: “South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard”

September 17, 2011 - 20:20 — siteadmin

My attention has been drawn to a story in today’s edition of the online version of The Washington Post  entitled “South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy says not building Nigerian Shipyard”. It is therefore pertinent to clarify the following:

1.   The President of Hyundai Heavy was accompanied to the Aso Rock Presidential Villa on a courtesy call on President Goodluck Jonathan by the Governor of Bayelsa state and a consultant to Hyundai Heavy,  Otunba Ayo Oduntan.

2.   The Governor of Bayelsa as well as the consultant for the project spoke on behalf of the President of Hyundai Heavy who subsequently made a short speech.

3.   The Governor and the project consultant spoke of a multi-billion dollar ship yard and presented a prototype of the proposed project to President Jonathan. Since they made these statements in the presence of the Hyundai Heavy officials, who did not rebut them, the President and his aides present had no reason to disbelieve them.

4.  The President of Hyundai Heavy Industries himself later gave an interview while still within the Presidential villa to a Reuters correspondent and affirmed the statement made by the Governor and chief Ayo Oduntan as follows "My company is going to (sic) $7billion dollars in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard" (see http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFJOE78E0LU20110915)

In conclusion, it is wrong and indeed mischievous to have quoted the President or his office as the author of the statement that Hyundai Heavy planned to build a multi-billion dollar ship yard. These statements were the reported statements of the Governor of Bayelsa State and the project consultant who were responsible for bringing the President of Hyundai Heavy Industries to pay a courtesy call on President Jonathan.

I trust that this clarification will put to rest any issues arising from this matter as the Federal Republic of Nigeria and President Goodluck  Jonathan are desirous of opening up Nigeria to genuine Foreign Direct Investment and welcome any investment that Hyundai Heavy Industries decides to make in Nigeria.

Dr. Reuben Abati,

Special Adviser to the President

(Media and Publicity)

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-responds-“south-korea’s-hyundai-heavy-says-not-building-nigerian-shipyard”

So who is lying.

@beaf

You need to go back to JOE TRIPI, because you folks no sabi lie at all. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Libya Deports 111 Nigerians / Amaechi: I Didn't Join APC To Become VP!! / Gej Cannot Win South West (personal Opinion) @barcanista

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.