Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France (12734 Views)

Muslim Man Seen Praying In The Rain In Benin (Photo) / Uganda, Congo DR Muslims Banned From Makka Over Ebola Epidemic / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by ekubear1: 12:28am On Sep 19, 2011
France Bans Public Muslim Prayers

MUSLIMS will be banned from praying outdoors in France from today in the latest move by officials to remove Islam from the public sphere.

The ban, announced by the government yesterday, infuriated French Muslim leaders, one of whom accused President Sarkozy's government of treating them like cattle.

They say that Muslims, who pray outdoors only because of a lack of space in mosques in France, feel stigmatised.

But Claude Gueant, the Interior Minister, said that the sight of hundreds of people gathering in the streets of Paris and other cities for Friday prayers was "shocking".

It comes after laws to prohibit pupils from wearing headscarves in schools and women from wearing the niqab, the full Muslim veil, in public.

Mr Gueant described outlawing street prayers as the latest brick in the wall that is shoring up the secular nature of the French state. He said that he had nothing against Islam, but wanted it out of the public eye.

"Street prayers must stop because they hurt the feelings of many of our compatriots who are shocked by the occupation of the public space for a religious practice," he said.

Police could be asked to arrest Muslims who continue to pray in the street, Mr Gueant warned, but officials will initially try to persuade them to move into a mosque.

Debate has focused on the Goutte d'Or district in northern Paris. Dozens and sometimes hundreds of Muslims pray in the surrounding streets.

Marine Le Pen, the leader of the National Front, was accused of racism when she said that the worship amounted to an "occupation" - a word that for many French is associated with the Nazi invasion during the Second World War.

But the government now appears to be on the same wavelength, with Mr Gueant agreeing that street prayers would "upset" his fellow countrymen.

He said that officials had made available a disused fire station in the Goutte d'Or with room for 2700 people for a rent of €30,000 ($A40,330) a year.

But Muslim leaders said that the site would be open to worshippers only on Fridays.

Mohamed Salah Hamza, imam at a mosque in the Goutte d'Or district, said: "We are not cattle. Our demands have not entirely been satisfied."

He said that he feared worshippers would continue to pray outside.

"I am in an uncomfortable position and I am afraid there will be a climate of anarchy," he said.

THE TIMES

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/france-bans-public-muslim-prayers/story-e6frg6so-1226138737349
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 19, 2011
Should we expect "Death to France" from our Northern brothers?
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 19, 2011
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and [size=28pt]to hear the lamentation of their women[/size]."

I dont like this quote. What is the bolded supposed to mean? undecided
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by udezue(m): 3:31am On Sep 19, 2011
I see nothing wrong about that. In the US or atleast where I reside u can't just block public places and set up loud speakers disturbing other people in the name of religion. They should keep their religious practices behind closed doors just like other ppl do. If they don't like it they can go to Mecca. Why they always feel the need to play the victim amazes me. France is a secular nation and must maintain it.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by jamace(m): 10:18am On Sep 19, 2011
"Street prayers must stop because they hurt the feelings of many of our compatriots who are shocked by the occupation of the public space for a religious practice," he said.

This happens in Naija a lot. You need to be caught up on Fridays during one of such blockade of streets and even major roads to feel the frustrations.

Kudos to President Sarkozy's government .
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by brainpulse: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2011
I see nothing wrong with that in as much every country has its law and it expediante for other people to respect it in irrespective of Gender, religion erc. Also there are laws in Saudi Arabia banning other religious group from coming out publicly to worship.
And also disturbing others are issues that should be address, for e.g Where i leave i have up to 8 worship centres and at every top of the hour through mid- night i get disturbed that i dont have the essential rest human being deserves and i wonder if God will answer there prayers. Despite the prayers they have the worst behavior that could be likened to animal.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by MMM2(m): 2:02pm On Sep 19, 2011
dats good
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by islamrules(m): 2:06pm On Sep 19, 2011
You all need to read this: http://www.persecution.org/2011/01/28/iran%E2%80%99s-christians/
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by islamrules(m): 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2011
Persecution of Christians in Iran

by Mark Morris on April 7, 2009

When was the last time you prayed for Christians who are being persecuted for their faith. The following report from Farsi Christian News Network provides a reminder of the price some are paying for the faith we take so lightly.

Humbled

Mark Morris

Two young Iranian Christian women in notorious Evin Prison

fcnn – 29-mar 2009

According to reports received by the Farsi Christian News Network (FCNN), On March 5th 2009, two Iranian Christian women, Miss Marzieh Amirizadeh Esmaeilabad (30), and Miss Maryam Rustampoor (27), were arrested by the Iranian security forces. Their only crime is that they are committed Christians who follow the teachings of Jesus. They are being unfairly labeled as ‘anti-government activists’, because of the hostility of the government towards practising Christians.

Their shared apartment was searched and personal belongings confiscated. They were hand-cuffed and first taken to the Police and Security Station 137 in Gysha, West of Tehran for interrogation. Later they were taken to Vozara Detention Centre. Then they were taken to the Branch 2 of the National Security Section of the Revolutionary Court. Afterwards, several sessions of interrogation took place. Finally, on March 18th, after appearing at the Revolutionary Court, they were sent to the notorious Evin Prison where they are being held without charge.

They have been told they could be freed on a bail of US$ 400,000. This excessive bail level is unrealistic and is designed to intimidate and make the release impossible. The families have subsequently been told on several occasions a judge is not available to discuss the case.
Both women are allowed just a one minute telephone call every day to their immediate families. Both are unwell and in need of urgent medical attention. During their last call on March 28 Marzieh said that she was suffering from an infection and high fever. She said ‘I am dying’.

There has been a noted increase in government intimidation of the Christians. Last year they were over 50 known cases of arrests and imprisonment. They were some cases of torture.

Iranian Christian leaders from around the world are calling for the immediate and unconditional release of Marzieh and Maryam.

We ask world governments to put pressure on Iran to ensure freedom of religion.

Prayers are being offered for their safe release. We ask Christians around the globe to continue to pray.

Source: http://www.missionleader.com/?p=398
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2011
Am loving this!! When in iran,iraq,saudi, syria minority christian r bn murdered daily. But in western countries they r treated well evn in rome they were gvnchance to build the world largest mosque. Shame on islam. Imagine a world with islam.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by juman(m): 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2011
Was done by the government for luring a kind of electorates to their side.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by otokx(m): 2:14pm On Sep 19, 2011
Good one from the french government
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by nnwniger: 2:15pm On Sep 19, 2011
This is a violet religion that's so feared and not trusted by any one. Every government in every country has to protect her citizens from Islam. Its just so difficult to leave with people who's god at any given time will want you dead. You can rationalize it, play with words any how you want, whatever turns you on, its a fact, I'm sorry. There's no place in the face of this earth with Muslim population that has peace, that's an observable fact. May Almighty God save us all from Islam in Jesus name, Amen
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by maclatunji: 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2011
nnw niger:

This is a violet religion that's so feared and not trusted by any one. Every government in every country has to protect her citizens from Islam. Its just so difficult to leave with people who's god at any given time will want you dead. You can rationalize it, play with words any how you want, whatever turns you on, its a fact, I'm sorry. There's no place in the face of this earth with Muslim population that has peace, that's an observable fact. May Almighty God save us all from Islam in Jesus name, Amen

You would have been funny had you not been so deplorably pathetic!
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by mallorca(m): 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2011
very good ideal
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by awuf2008: 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2011
France is not a Muslim Country so it is a right step in a right direction. But it cannot happen in Nigeria due to it  cosmopolitan nature.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by goggs(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2011
I agree with the French measures. Religion should be a thing of the mind. If you are in Rome, do as the Romans. I wonder if one can preach openly in Saudi Arabia, or even Bahrain, Kuwait etc. If their laws prohibit public preaching for adherents of other religions, so I see no qualms about France. However, the rights of Muslims to congregate and worship lawfully must be maintained.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by ksam(m): 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2011
I will like to ask two question to my muslim brethren,firstly,is it that ur mosque can not contain you all or you people just want to show the whole world how prayerfull you are,cos i see no reason why some group of people in the their right mind will come out to street to cause discomfort to people all in the name of praying.Come to kaduna in the town area and see what is happening on friday afternoon,where u will islamic worshipers blocking the most busiest road in kaduna avoiding passage not minding if u are on foot or with a vehicle.try pass close to them,that is when u will receive the greatest embarrassment of ur life.that is when u'll see their almajiri soldiers (man no war)harassing u, not minding floging u.it is ABSURD if u will ask me.and i want all this to stop.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by maclatunji: 2:28pm On Sep 19, 2011
ksam:

I will like to ask two question to my muslim brethren,firstly,is it that your mosque can not contain you all or you people just want to show the whole world how prayerfull you are,cos i see no reason why some group of people in the their right mind will come out to street to cause discomfort to people all in the name of praying.Come to kaduna in the town area and see what is happening on friday afternoon,where u will islamic worshipers blocking the most busiest road in kaduna avoiding passage not minding if u are on foot or with a vehicle.try pass close to them,that is when u will receive the greatest embarrassment of your life.that is when u'll see their almajiri soldiers (man no war)harassing u, not minding floging u.it is ABSURD if u will ask me.and i want all this to stop.

It is all about proper planning. There would be no need for such with proper planning. By the way other countries allow street prayers in Europe. It all depends on the city's planning regulations and needs.

However for the French. I think it is more about their fear of Islam. They have the largest Muslim population in Europe and they are starting to get scared about it!
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by DeepSoul(f): 2:41pm On Sep 19, 2011

Good news! Same should be done in Abuja!

It's infuriating to see muslims praying on major roads, rendering passage impossible!

And the roads where they don't pray on, they park their cars right in the middle! It's appalling!

If they need space, they should build bigger mosques, shikena! angry angry
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by buzugee(m): 3:12pm On Sep 19, 2011
absolute bollocks. france shoulda thought about that when during world war 2, they went to algeria and morocco and black french african colonys to pack all these 'so called' muslims to come fight and die for them. shyttt this is a case of you reapp what you sow. the empire strikes back. anyway either way i dont care much for the colonialists or the islamists so they can both sort each other out with no allegiance to either side on my path. they are both destructive forces.

1 Like

Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by nusdog: 3:17pm On Sep 19, 2011
Not only in Abuja, such laws should be replicated in the entire country.

It's really annoying how they obstruct traffic especially on Fridays and on eid fitr days.

P.S: This should also applies to all religious bodies who cause inconveniences for others in the course of their worship.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by binbass(m): 3:20pm On Sep 19, 2011
The more they are hating the religion, the more is getting bigger.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by DeepSoul(f): 3:22pm On Sep 19, 2011

^^ If by "getting bigger", you mean the number of innocent lives they snuff away, you should be put in a cage angry
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by zmurda(m): 3:28pm On Sep 19, 2011
[size=18pt]People should keep their frigging religion private.

Praying on the street is a fire and security hazard grin grin grin

It insults one's senses.

I get really mad seeing people take over public places for praying or partying. People who do these are inconsiderate human beings!!!
[/size]
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Sweetnecta: 3:31pm On Sep 19, 2011
From Ileke Idi's first post downward, you guys are sons and daughter of your father Satan, Paul the liar who was a killer from the beginning.

@Islamrules; You are a freaking  disgraceful for screening yourself with an ID Islam in it. You are no muslim, but other. If you think the christians follow Jesus son of Mary, show me examples of how, from the Bible and I will show you from the same Bible how you do not follow him.

The muslims pay their taxes in the so called christian countries they reside. The right of every tax paying citizen is the right of free assembly and of course religion. While the christian nuns are not forced to take off their head coverings, the muslims are. The christians of europe do have their religious assembly, except that they are not religious enough to have a spill over into the street.

A people who are religious are now called evil for standing for what they believe.

Alhamdulillah that I live in a community that understands the need for prayers. So the cops direct traffic just in case the people will spill into the streets in Id. I knew Down South was not for me, a long time ago.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by kurus: 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2011
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2011
Come to Dubai, almost all the streets are filled with them when it is time for prayer, they all start running around and bend down at the next available space in any of the roads they can find , what remains of them is to use the Dubai International Airport Runways, i wonder how it will be in Saudi Arabia  grin
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by islamrules(m): 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2011
From Ileke Idi's first post downward, you guys are sons and daughter of your father Satan, Paul the liar who was a killer from the beginning.

@Islamrules; You are a freaking  disgraceful for screening yourself with an ID Islam in it. You are no muslim, but other. If you think the christians follow Jesus son of Mary, show me examples of how, from the Bible and I will show you from the same Bible how you do not follow him.

The muslims pay their taxes in the so called christian countries they reside. The right of every tax paying citizen is the right of free assembly and of course religion. While the christian nuns are not forced to take off their head coverings, the muslims are. The christians of europe do have their religious assembly, except that they are not religious enough to have a spill over into the street.

A people who are religious are now called evil for standing for what they believe.

Alhamdulillah that I live in a community that understands the need for prayers. So the cops direct traffic just in case the people will spill into the streets in Id. I knew Down South was not for me, a long time ago.

No vex oh. Why are you angry now ? Habba
You just making mess of your self in public.  cry stop crying my agrieved pathetic mohamad goat.

We all know mohamad is a pedophilee. He has this thing for child sexxual abuse. Imagine a full grown up man screwing 6 years old girl.
Did Jesus screwed anyone.

Why do you believe in a sinner? His birth marked the beginning of blood spilling on planet earth.  
Gone are those days! There is no secrete anywhere. He snatched wife. The guy is too flirttty. Can you call someone like that a prophet.
There is not prophetic about him.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 19, 2011
I support this move. They let these muslims into their country only for them to turn around and still hold extremist views against their host countries! Europe is just preventing an invasion of their culture by some religious fanatics they have let into their country all in the name of immigration.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by LagosShia: 4:09pm On Sep 19, 2011
as a Muslim,i think there is nothing wrong by asking people not to block roads and encroach on public places to perform their worship.one of the conditions in islam for prayer is to pray on a place that is not forcefully or illegally acquired.i only hope that the french would build more places of worship for their citizens.

i also hope that Nigeria would learn from this example in france.i hope that the Nigerian government will stop the likes of Redeem Christian Church of God and Mountain of Fire (fire on the mountain,anyone) to stop blocking highways when holding their "crusades" and camping especially along the lagos-ibadan expressway.i was once travelling to ibadan during a weekend.after wasting hours on the road,i had to divert to ikorodu and use shagamu to connect.i left Lagos at 11:30am only to arrive ibadan at 7:00pm!!!

also,those yeye catholic churches that hold marches and do their so called "harvest" on major roads should be stopped.they block traffic flow and harrass vehicles on the road.
Re: Muslims Banned From Praying Outdoors In France by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 19, 2011
More grease to the French elbow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With Polygamy? / Caution!!! Do Not Pray Before Its Time! / Laylatul Qodri: What Can A Woman Menstruating Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.