Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi (7335 Views)

Gov Amaechi Like Taking Risk...(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 12:31am On Sep 19, 2011
[size=14pt]Amaechi identifies causes of Boko Haram[/size]
By Gbenga Omokhunu and Adesoji Adeniyi, Osogbo

Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State at the weekend attributed the cause of the Boko Haram sect to lack of education.
Amaechi said about 80 per cent of certain children in the North did not learn some essential things at the appropriate time.
The governor spoke at the flag- off ceremony of the 2011 capacity building workshop held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. The ceremony was for  basic education teachers and education managers organised by the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) in collaboration with State Universal Basic Education Board, Ameachi said the militants in the Niger Delta  who “constituted problem in the society” also  lack  proper education.

The governor, who regretted the activities of the Boko Haram sect, advised the Federal Government to give priority to education sector.
Amaechi, who was represented by Deputy Governor Tele Ikuru, said: “The Boko Haram problem we have in the North today, if you ask me, I can confidently tell you that 80 per cent is attributed to the fact that certain children did not learn certain things when they were supposed to learn. And where does that take us to? It simply means that the greatest assets that we have and which we should pay greatest attention to are teachers at the UBEC.

“The teachers, when their faces are down this nation will be down, when their faces are up this nation will be up. One of the few things the government of Amaechi did when he assumed power in Rivers State was to ask why we had militants among us. In the course of the analysis, part of the things that came up was that there were some children who were suppose to be in school or who were purportedly in school at a certain time in the cause of our history but somehow they did not learn what they were suppose to learn.
“They did not go to school the way they were supposed to and some cases never ever had the opportunity to go to school. Now those were the same set of people who grew up between 1985 and 1995, specifically those were the same set of people who by 2005 constituted problems in  the society.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/20034-amaechi-identifies-causes-of-boko-haram.html
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 12:32am On Sep 19, 2011
He should resign. A governor is not supposed to make tribalist comments that can cause ethnic rifts in the North.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ekubear1: 12:36am On Sep 19, 2011
What is tribalistic about his comment?

Why should it cause ethnic rift?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Sep 19, 2011
Oh Wow . .  . let's give him an award  . . . for repeating what we have all been privy to for at least a decade.  grin
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 12:46am On Sep 19, 2011
eku_bear:

What is tribalistic about his comment?

Why should it cause ethnic rift?

First of all, he has no statistical evidence to show that Northerners are less educated than southerners. After all, we have OPC, Massob, MEND and there is nothing different from the MO with that of Boko Haram.

2ndly, wait till the almajiris get misinformed over this comment and watch them descend on Southerners living up north.
When the Hausa minister ati senator said that Yorubas cannot be trusted during Yaradua regime, didn't the whole country ask for his resignation?. Why shoul;d Amaechi be treated differently for making this careless comment?.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by udezue(m): 12:57am On Sep 19, 2011
@Aloy, please hush. U try so hard to come off as more Nigerian, more politically correct than other u come off as an oaf. Is he lying? Part of their problem is lack of education. Even a 10 year old knows they are behind the rest of the world sef. He also mentioned ND militants but u avoided that.
Lastly, MASSOB, MOSOP are not like Boko Haram coz they are non-violent. MEND might be violent but its nothing like Boko Haram either.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ezeagu(m): 1:01am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Amaechi said about 80 per cent of certain children in the North did not learn some essential things at the appropriate time.

Where did he use the word illiterate? Where did he say the south was more educated?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:03am On Sep 19, 2011
udezue:

@Aloy, please hush. U try so hard to come off as more Nigerian, more politically correct than other u come off as an oaf. Is he lying? Part of their problem is lack of education. Even a 10 year old knows they are behind the rest of the world sef. He also mentioned ND militants but u avoided that.
Lastly, MASSOB, MOSOP are not like Boko Haram coz they are non-violent. MEND might be violent but its nothing like Boko Haram either.

How do you measure violence?. Fact is that MEND, OPC, MASSOB as well as BOKO HARAM have committed acts of violence that took some people's lives. Why allocate more weight to the northern thug union than the southern ones. May I also remind you that Ibadan thugs were massacring each other last year under the watchful eyes of Tokyo and Akala. Why are those thugs not classified as terrorists?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ezeagu(m): 1:04am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

How do you measure violence?. Fact is that MEND, OPC, MASSOB as well as BOKO HARAM have committed acts of violence that took some people's lives. Why allocate more weight to the northern thug union than the southern ones. May I also remind you that Ibadan thugs were massacring each other last year under the watchful eyes of Tokyo and Akala. Why are those thugs not classified as terrorists?

Which would you rather face on an airline, MOSSAD or Al-Qaeda? . . . That's how you measure violence.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:07am On Sep 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Where did he use the word illiterate? Where did he say the south was more educated?

Yes he tried but that wasn't so smart. He claimed they[northerners] didn't learn "certain things" and went ahead to blame it on poor education policies/infrastructures. Was he not implying they didn't go to school?.

If he wasn't trying to stereotype the north, he would have said "80% of Nigerian kids do not learn what they are supposed to learn" and not only Northern kids. Try again, buddy.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:08am On Sep 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Which would you rather face on an airline, MOSSAD or Al-Qaeda? . . . That's how you measure violence.

Isn't Mossad the Israeli intelligence dept like scotland Yard?. Whyy are you equating them to al qaeda?.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ezeagu(m): 1:14am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Yes he tried but that wasn't so smart. He claimed they[northerners] didn't learn "certain things" and went ahead to blame it on poor education policies/infrastructures. Was he not implying they didn't go to school?.

If he wasn't trying to stereotype the north, he would have said "80% of Nigerian kids do not learn what they are supposed to learn" and not only Northern kids. Try again, buddy.

Yeah, but southern kids aren't blowing themselves up in UN buildings, there's got to be something they didn't learn. He didn't use the word 'illiterate'.

aloy/emeka:

Isn't Mossad the Israeli intelligence dept like scotland Yard?. Whyy are you equating them to al qaeda?.

Violence is violence. What about MEND and Boko Haram, who would you rather be on a flight with.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by umechuma: 1:23am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

First of all, he has no statistical evidence to show that Northerners are less educated than southerners. After all, we have OPC, Massob, MEND and there is nothing different from the MO with that of Boko Haram.

2ndly, wait till the almajiris get misinformed over this comment and watch them descend on Southerners living up north.
When the Hausa minister ati senator said that Yorubas cannot be trusted during Yaradua regime, didn't the whole country ask for his resignation?. Why shoul;d Amaechi be treated differently for making this careless comment?.
Am very shocked based on your comment.This shows you have never been or stayed in the North before or most probably you are a foreign Nigerian who only knows Nigeria through newspaper articles online.
If you want statistics on the level of illiteracy in the North just take a trip to the streets of Kano or Kaduna and you will get it first hand(In statistics class it is called primary source) or take a look at number of enrollment for Jamb and WAEC each year and you will also get it second hand(In statistics class it is called secondary source)
Stop making Northern think they get away from any senseless killing of Southerners in the North.It is time every Southerners in the North should be ready to defend themselves from Alimajiri's both night and day.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:24am On Sep 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Yeah, but southern kids aren't blowing themselves up in UN buildings, there's got to be something they didn't learn. He didn't use the word 'illiterate'.

But he implied they are illiterates. I don't necessarily  have to use the word "daft" for example to call you one, do I?.

ezeagu:

Violence is violence. What about MEND and Boko Haram, who would you rather be on a flight with.
I don't wanna have anything to do with either. I am not endorsing Boko Haram, rather I am a little bit skeptical on how the governor abused the north because of Boko Haram when he has Egbesu, Massob, MEND, OPC, etc at his backyard. Charity begins at home.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:26am On Sep 19, 2011
umechuma:

Stop making Northern think they get away from any senseless killing of Southerners in the North.It is time every Southerners in the North should be ready to defend themselves from Alimajiri's both night and day.

Where did I insinuate that?. Boko Haram is killing everybody including fellow muslim, aren't they?.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by umechuma: 1:42am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Did you mean something else?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ezeagu(m): 1:46am On Sep 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

But he implied they are illiterates. I don't necessarily  have to use the word "daft" for example to call you one, do I?.

In my opinion, Governor Amaechi didn't say anything that isn't true or that is even offensive in a cvilised country.

aloy/emeka:
I don't wanna have anything to do with either. I am not endorsing Boko Haram, rather I am a little bit skeptical on how the governor abused the north because of Boko Haram when he has Egbesu, Massob, MEND, OPC, etc at his backyard. Charity begins at home.

MEND is no longer as active, and Boko Haram has outdone it. MEND (however corrupt) were originally for a cause, the cause of Boko Haram is to Islamize Nigeria. Blowing up a UN building?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 1:50am On Sep 19, 2011
ezeagu:
In my opinion, Governor Amaechi didn't say anything that isn't true or that is even offensive in a cvilised country.

He did . If we called for the resignation of the Hausa/Fulani senator who called yorubas traitors, we should likewise call for the resignation of Amaechi because he seriously yarned opata.

ezeagu:

MEND is no longer as active, and Boko Haram has outdone it. MEND (however corrupt) were originally for a cause, the cause of Boko Haram is to Islamize Nigeria. Blowing up a UN building?

Everybody has a cause and is convinced that the cause is genuine. Boko Haramites are not interested in money or  material things. They just dont like their Islam getting polluted by Southern miscreants.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by udezue(m): 2:29am On Sep 19, 2011
Aloy is a compound f00l. So now Amaechi is the villain for speaking thr truth?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by EkoIle1: 2:41am On Sep 19, 2011
Sure, we all know the north is a trailing the rest of the country educationally, but something about the speech sounds a lil off, especially if at the end of the day he has no stats or any kind of facts to back it up.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by aloyemeka1: 2:59am On Sep 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

Sure, we all know the north is a trailing the rest of the country educationally, but something about the speech sounds a lil off, especially if at the end of the day he has no stats or any kind of facts to back it up.
Gbam.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by udezue(m): 3:25am On Sep 19, 2011
Its pure knowledge. Its like asking for statitics or proof that Ogoni land has been destroyed by years oil exploration. The facts are so clear for u to see.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by EkoIle1: 3:42am On Sep 19, 2011
udezue:

Its pure knowledge. Its like asking for statitics or proof that Ogoni land has been destroyed by years oil exploration. The facts are so clear for u to see.

Apples and Oranges.

Saying Ogoni land has been destroyed by oil exploration and saying 80% of Ogoni land has been destroyed by oil exploration are 2 different things.

The 80% numerical assertion implied proof of statistical facts which he obviously don't have. That was a reckless statement on his part.

Btw, this is not about ogoni land please.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by mitofag: 4:00am On Sep 19, 2011
Careless statement from Amaechi

Whats the difference between Boko Haram and MEND and Bakassi Boys and Egbesu boyz and OPC ?

People should be careful what they say and how they say it.

Very crass on Amaechi's part. What a m/o-/r/on!
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by mitofag: 4:02am On Sep 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

For the first time, egbon mi from Iragbiji, you are making sense!

What happened to you? Did you stop sucking BAT dyyck? Are you now on Fashola's kini?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by EkoIle1: 4:09am On Sep 19, 2011
^^^^ Must you ghayy losers bore me with your ho.mose.xual fantasies. Many of you just can not hide your ghayy fantasies.

I know you clowns can not survive without you daily dose of Fashola and Tinubu do or die chants and love fest, but why bother me with?
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by lancee(m): 4:38am On Sep 19, 2011
Good day my people ,
Have been trying to upload this video of this incidence but my system is kinda slow , this is a very disturbing video i cant even show it to my wife .You can see it on www.naijapals.com
Pls help identify these guys if possible , cos this could happen to any of our family members as long as these guys re on the street
I know how ladies will feel watching this disturbing video , Womens right association should try and do something , also if the lady in question could be bold enough to identify these guys the better
Go to www.naijapals.com or if anyone could upload it to see the pathetic video i couldnt finish watching
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:45am On Sep 19, 2011
I have absolutely no problem with what Gov Ameachi is trying to say.
Nigeria's educational standards rank poorly vis-a-vis the rest of the world.

I think this was the message that he was trying to resonate. We should not get hung up on a mere conjecture, rather the the message that he is trying to convey is what's important. His word choice is damning, but all he is trying to say is that Nigeria's basic education system is garbage
Hosea 4: 6 (KJV) My people perish from a lack of knowledge
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by Rhino5dm: 6:27am On Sep 19, 2011
Amaechi should commended for speaking out truth. There is no gain saying that the north is backward educationally, hence the real issue is, what can/should done to arrest the predicament.
We can never live in peace and harmony with the armies of illiterate criss-crossing the whole country.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by hercules07: 6:44am On Sep 19, 2011
Since it is okay for Amaechi to say this about the North, I expect the governor of Zamfara state to come out and say 80% of all southerners are drug peddlers, 419ners and touts, especially those from Rivers state.
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ektbear: 6:54am On Sep 19, 2011
hercules07:

Since it is okay for Amaechi to say this about the North, I expect the governor of Zamfara state to come out and say 80% of all southerners are drug peddlers, 419ners and touts, especially those from Rivers state.

If the illiteracy rate of Northern children is close to 80%, what then?

So would all of this have been resolved if he'd provided some sort of reference to back up his #?

We've all seen all see the literacy rates for the NW zone before, right? Take a look here if you haven't: http://www.unicef.org/nigeria/ng_publications_North_West_zonal_fact_sheet_(English).pdf

Given those #s, how are we sure he is just making up the youth number? For all we know 80% isn't far from the truth.

I really wonder why calling a spade a spade is so taboo
Re: 80% Of Northern Children Are Ignorant-- Gov Amaechi by ektbear: 7:12am On Sep 19, 2011
No offense, but some of ya'll remind me of white people here in the US upon hearing the bad educational statistics of African Americans, shout down anyone who brings it up and calls them a racist (you see this type a lot among white liberal democrats)

Is it better for AAs to deal with reality and the problem they have and find the best way to solve it, or bury their heads in the sand?

If you are actually a friend of the north, then you'll take this statement from Amaechi as a call to action, rather than shouting him down.

Or do you think you southerners who deny the existence of the problem will suffer more than the children who don't get education?

If Amaechi says that someone's foot is on fire and burning, will you also shout him down rather than looking for water to put out the fire?  grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Denies Describing Anambra Election As Free & Fair / Biafra And The Yearnings Of The Niger Delta / BREAKING: FG Allows Justice Ademola, Wife’s Bail Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.