Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Nigerians English Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians English Abroad (1820 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians English Abroad by Vicjustice: 1:15pm On Sep 03, 2007
When you ask Europeans (who aren't from English speaking countries) whether they speak English, they usually answer saying "little" even if they speak well enough.
  When you meet Nigerians in/on the streets of Europe, and you ask them if they speaks English (probably because you don't know if they're Nigerians), they'd answer "YES" or "of course" that's if they're in good moods, but if in bad moods, they'd get offended saying "what sort of question is that?".
  But in some real cases, the people who say they speak a "little" actually speak the little in good commands, and it is easier for the English people to understand them than the Nigerians who claim English is their in-built talent.
  Believe me, some of our English usages are really embarrassing. I know some guys who can't converse on phone with people who are not Nigerians: the accents are terrible and the English commands or usage are awful: it would be easier if the non Nigerians can read their lips, but that doesn't happen on phone.
  I've even heard some Igbo guys calling it Engrish or Engnish embarassed
  There was this Edo girl who was repatriated at Dublin airport, she had a tourist/visiting visa, when asked by the immigration officer at the point of entry her purpose of visiting, she ignorantly answered "terrorist", and this led to further questions and interrogations. They knew that she was innocent and ignorant, but the immigration officers found enough reasons to send her back to Nigeria on the ground that they were "not satisfied that she merited her visa"
  Some Nigerians haven't mastered the simple English, yet they try to fake American accents even with their awful command of the language language.
  Also, here in Nairaland, sometimes, it is difficult to read and understand some articles in this forum, Though, wrong spellings could be pardoned (none is above mistakes), and it's also understandable when people misuse words (for example misusing BEING for BEEN): and also many people try to use "short cuts" words like DATZ Y, 4RM, HOLZ, and WUD etc, as if they are sending sms from mobile phones where spaces are limited: this makes other users sometimes read over and over and over again just to get the points that a poster is trying to make. Sometimes, i really try hard to get the points of some posts, and still i don't get the full meaning.
  I blame the pidgin English for our poor English, this sort of English has deeply influenced our usage of the standard English, even our learned people sometimes find themselves in difficulties trying to express some points which they can easily expressed in pidgin English.
  How many of you now hate me? wink
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by londoner: 1:35pm On Sep 03, 2007
You find abbreviated words on any internet forum, thats a reflection on the text generation, it has nothing to do with Pidgin or being Nigerian.

I understand reservations of people here, but imagine if we were as passionate about our own indegenous languages and cultures?
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Tats(m): 1:56pm On Sep 03, 2007
Vicjustice:

When you ask Europeans (who aren't from English speaking countries) whether they speak English, they usually answer saying "little" even if they speak well enough.
 When you meet Nigerians in/on the streets of Europe, and you ask them if they speaks English (because you don't know if they're Nigerians), they'd answer "YES" or "of course" if they're in good moods, and if in bad moods, they'd get offended saying "what sort of question is that?".
 But in some real cases, the people who say they speak a "little" actually speak the little in good commands, and it's easier for the English people to understand them than the Nigerians who claim English is their in-built talents.
 Believe me, some of our English usages are really embarrassing. I know some guys who can't converse on phone with people who are not Nigerians, the accents are terrible and the English commands or usage are awful: it would be easier if the non Nigerians can read their lips, but that doesn't happen on phone.
 There was this Edo girl who was repatriated at Dublin airport, she had a tourist/visiting visa, when asked by the immigration officer at the point of entry her purpose of visiting, she ignorantly answered "terrorist", and this led to further questions and interrogations. They knew that she was innocent and ignorant, but the immigration officers found enough reason to send her back to Nigeria on the ground that they were "not satisfied that she merited her visa"
 Even here in Nairaland, sometimes, it is difficult to read and understand some articles in this forum, Though, wrong spellings could be pardon (none is above mistakes), and it's also understandable when people misuse words (for example they misuse BEING for BEEN) and also, many people try to use "short cuts" words like DATZ Y, 4RM, HOLZ, and WUD etc, as if they're sending sms from mobile phones where spaces are limited: this makes other useres sometimes read over and over and over again just to get the point that a poster is trying to make. Sometimes, i really try hard to get the points, and still i don't get the full meaning.
 I blame the pidgin English for our poor English, this sort of English has deeply influenced our usage of the standard English, even our learned people sometimes find themselves in difficulties trying to express some points which they can easily expressed in pidgin English.
 [i][b]How many of you now hate me?[/[/b]i] wink

Me  grin grin.

@Vicjustice, good one there. I would advise that if you are writing such a post, you need to thoroughly read through it to ensure that you do not make any mistakes, or else, end. Corrections are required in some of your texts.

Seriously, I think many people need to improve their command of English particularly in writing. Some get so used to writing in abbreviated or other kinds of words that I believe they would write same way in a school or exam essay without realising it, and resulting in poor grades. There is nothing wrong in abbreviating, but it should make sense. I know of a professional internet forum that you dont just write english anyhow, else you will feel miserable by the time they have responded to your post.

Apart from 'being vs been', do you notice the 'there vs their' error that keeps coming up everyday in posts. Sometimes, it takes ages to read and understand some posts. Some of the 'difficult to read' posts can be solved by simply writing in plain english. Needless to say that I don't want to go into too much details here.

Not against pigdin, as I speak it too and it has never had an impact on my level of spoken or written English. But I have clear boundaries between pidgin and English.
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Vicjustice: 3:30pm On Sep 03, 2007
Tats:

Me  grin grin.

@Vicjustice, good one there. I would advise that if you are writing such a post, you need to thoroughly read through it to ensure that you do not make any mistakes, or else, end. Corrections are required in some of your texts.

Dear, you're absolutely right, i do read my posts over even after posting them, and sometimes, i do find errors, and like i said, no one is perfect; but we just have to try to minimise errors especially ones that are too obvious. cheesy
Hey, i see what you meant, i've just rectified some pardonable errors smiley
Old boy, i dey also yan pidgin, no be small
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by toshmann(m): 5:18pm On Sep 03, 2007
hey mr vicjustice
nairaland is an informal forum. it is not a place to display your command of the english language. how do you expect someone who was able to spare 10 mins from his daily schedule to find a joke or two or to ease off to take start proofreading what he posts on nairaland? abi na exam person de write here? wetin. after all english no be my papa langs so wetin concern us. the main thing here na communication. we created a community online where we can come discuss, quarrel and relax as the case may be, not to examine our english lang profficiency. abi we de write thesis or cover letter here? haba.

i have no big qualms with anyone who can communicate here even though the english is not too good. after all, in my whole life, i'm yet to see a single european who can speak igbo to an acceptable level. whosai angry
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Troubleone: 6:21pm On Sep 03, 2007
toshmann:

hey mr vicjustice
nairaland is an informal forum. it is not a place to display your command of the english language. how do you expect someone who was able to spare 10 mins from his daily schedule to find a joke or two or to ease off to take start proofreading what he posts on nairaland? abi na exam person de write here? wetin. after all english no be my papa langs so wetin concern us. the main thing here na communication. we created a community online where we can come discuss, quarrel and relax as the case may be, not to examine our english lang profficiency. abi we de write thesis or cover letter here? haba.

i have no big qualms with anyone who can communicate here even though the english is not too good. after all, in my whole life, i'm yet to see a single european who can speak igbo to an acceptable level. whosai angry
i get your point. nairaland is not a place to display english proficiency. but the poster is right in his observation, you really get to see and hear some of our brothers and sisters speaking english to whoever, it's sometimes, really terrible sad
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by chiogo(f): 12:02am On Sep 04, 2007
well, you're right but i really don't blame people for writing "datz, y " etc because this is supposed to be a forum, more or less a chat-room for Nigerians. Nobody likes typing in all those long sentences just so they don't abbreviate.Just like when you are chatting with a friend, you don't really feel the need to write in complete sentences because it's your friend and you should be informal around him/her and not all bougie like c'mon. well, at least u get the hint when someone writes "datz" as you called it.the one you should be talkin' about is when people write in native languages like igbo, yoruba, etc because not everyone understands those native languages but if the person wasn't referring to you, it doesn't affect you so you do not need to comprehend it, now do you??. And talkin' about pidgin, I don't think it has anythin' to do with shortening words because a lot of people especially teenagers who chat or blog like in myspace write words like that, not everyone speaks pidgin,so pidgin has nothing whatsoever to do with shortening words, it's just an urge not to sound too formal. I know i write like that too. I just managed not to while responding to your post but really, nobody has time for all those, it's a forum!!
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Vicjustice: 8:57am On Sep 04, 2007
It seems you guys are only concerned on the aspect of pidgin English or the "short-cut" writings, that really doesn't bother me: but what bothers me is the fact that sometimes, it's difficult to understand some of the points that a poster is trying to make, hasn't it occurred to you that you have to really try hard to understand some articles, and yet, you just don't get the entire points?
Well, it has happened to me a lot of times.
Every body does make mistakes, i've seen some remarkable errors in many of my posts also, so, none is perfect: but i should bring to your notice that this sort of (short cut) spellings and the excessive use of the pidgin English do influence our accents, written and oral English: many of us speak in the same manners that we write.
  First of all, i think we should work on our oral English, it's of no good to use short cuts when you've not mastered the standard usage or spellings.
  Some people can't pronounce FUTURE, FUEL or THIRTY to the understanding of the Europeans, worse still, many people do not even know the difference between GREECE and GREEK neither do they use the words properly: and they are all in Europe creating the impression of poor reputation to Nigerian educational sectors
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by ArmedLion(m): 7:45pm On Sep 04, 2007
bros vic, you dey so observant, maybe you fit do some teaching job too, abi? smiley
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by chiogo(f): 3:32pm On Sep 05, 2007
well, i get your point but then if you don't understand the point a person is making at all, that only shows the person is incoherent and illiterate, which has nothing to do with pidgin english because like i said it's a way of being informal. There are lots of educated people who speak pidgin english even in the USA, why?? because here in America, you see haitians, spanish, Jamaican folks interacting in their languages, Knowing as diverse a nation Nigeria is, in the sense that each ethnic group speaks its own language unlike most countries, Pidgin is another way of communication, which is a bit clear to me. Trust me on the fact that if you write down pidgin english for a white person, am sure they might have a clue as to what you're saying because it is only broken-down english. I don't understand why you're so bothered about europeans understanding what you speak, do we understand what they speak always too?? This mental slavery has got to stop. Jamaica and Barbados and some other countries were also colonized by the europeans(UK precisely) but they still have their own accents which is definitely not the Queen's english accent. Even here in America, black people speak lots of incorrect grammar but to them, it's like a culture. they use words like "brung" which is no where in the dictionary rather than "brought" and so many other imported words. Even some black americans do not understand what other black americans speak due to d different accents in different states. The way a black person from boston will talk would be different from the way a black person from Atlanta would. so, the errors you're talking about only means the person who typed it is  illiterate. That's just my point. tongue
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by BabaDibia: 6:00pm On Sep 05, 2007
chiogo, you talk about illitrate that a person who no write perfect english is illitrate. you too are illitrate becouse you do'nt know what illitrate mean. illitrate is somebody who do'nt now how to read or write. a man who write and read is not illitrate. stupid
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Tats(m): 6:17pm On Sep 05, 2007
chiogo:

well, i get your point but then if you don't understand the point a person is making at all, that only shows the person is incoherent and illiterate, which has nothing to do with pidgin english because like i said it's a way of being informal. There are lots of educated people who speak pidgin english even in the USA, why?? because here in America, you see haitians, spanish, Jamaican folks interacting in their languages, Knowing as diverse a nation Nigeria is, in the sense that each ethnic group speaks its own language unlike most countries, Pidgin is another way of communication, which is a bit clear to me. Trust me on the fact that if you write down pidgin english for a white person, am sure they might have a clue as to what you're saying because it is only broken-down english. I don't understand why you're so bothered about europeans understanding what you speak, do we understand what they speak always too?? This mental slavery has got to stop. Jamaica and Barbados and some other countries were also colonized by the europeans(UK precisely) but they still have their own accents which is definitely not the Queen's english accent. Even here in America, black people speak lots of incorrect grammar but to them, it's like a culture. they use words like "brung" which is no where in the dictionary rather than "brought" and so many other imported words. Even some black americans do not understand what other black americans speak due to d different accents in different states. The way a black person from boston will talk would be different from the way a black person from Atlanta would. so, the errors you're talking about only means the person who typed it is  illiterate. That's just my point. tongue

For me, it is a source of concern that we speak english clearly and correctly where necessary when we are overseas or anywhere. It must not exactly be with a foreign accent. Unclear and incorrect english is one of the various reasons why some of us don't get very good white collar jobs abroad when we do job interviews either through phone or in person. It has nothing to do with mental slavery or suppressing the speaking of your native language or pidgin.

Would you interview someone for a high profile job in the US who says "brung" rather than "brought" and hire the person? Definitely not! Even here in the UK, some native british people from certain parts of the country who do not speak clear, correct and understandable english find it difficult to get some types of job. Some of them say "me house" rather than "my house". They do receive some sort of comments based on their way of speaking in the professional circles here too.
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by chiogo(f): 10:27pm On Sep 06, 2007
Tats:

For me, it is a source of concern that we speak english clearly and correctly where necessary when we are overseas or anywhere. It must not exactly be with a foreign accent. Unclear and incorrect english is one of the various reasons why some of us don't get very good white collar jobs abroad when we do job interviews either through phone or in person. It has nothing to do with mental slavery or suppressing the speaking of your native language or pidgin.

Would you interview someone for a high profile job in the US who says "brung" rather than "brought" and hire the person? Definitely not! Even here in the UK, some native british people from certain parts of the country who do not speak clear, correct and understandable english find it difficult to get some types of job. Some of them say "me house" rather than "my house". They do receive some sort of comments based on their way of speaking in the professional circles here too.
well, you're right.I wouldn't.but believe it not, they're being hired even if not for so "high" profile job but i do know a bunch of black folks like that who have respectable jobs. Take for instance, American artistes (musicians, etc), 95% ,if not 100% of them use incorrect english in their music videos. Guess how much most of 'em make through a single album even the inexperienced ones who are new to the game make a whole lot than a very rich person in Nigeria is close to making. And where do you think teens hear most of the languages they use?/ voila!! music videos and TV in general. So, everything is all laid out there for them. Am not disputing the fact that it is necessary that Nigerians speak proper english but i really don't think it's all that necessary in this forum. First of all, people are usually affected by the surrounding they find themselves in, If you're living in the ghetto in naija, naturally, it's impossible for u not to know how to speak pidgin because that is what everyone around you speaks, not because you're not educated but due to the situation you find yourself in. Educated folks too live in the ghetto, it's not by choice, you know. Likewise here in America, you'd find that not all black folks speak this incorrect english and there're some really classy black folks who speak good english. So, it all depends on where you find yourself. But in naija's case today, not only the poverty-stricken people speak pidgin these days, it's more like being informal not uneducated to me. That doesn't mean that when such a person writes, he/she wouldn't make sense. when a person is so incomprehensible in their writings,such that you don't know where they stand or where they're heading to, that makes him/her illiterate.
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by PapaBrowne(m): 11:36pm On Sep 06, 2007
Wetin una dey talk? Language is a tool of communication.English language is not an exception.It's purpose is not finesse, but communion.

If pidgin does the communication, fine!If very broken english helps you commune better,why not.

When in Paris or Budapest,you have to speak very broken english, if you want the guy at the grocery store to comprehend.

When in the midst of business executives trying to close a high profile deal, you can enjoy your dictionary english, if that would suit the scenario.

To say that Nigerians should now confine themselves to the legalism and machine-like perfection of Queen Elizabeth's gibberish because they are in a Foreign country is bunkussss!!

What happened to freedom of speech.Speak how you feel freest! Don't box yourself in.If na pidgin, patua or creole dey sweet 4 your mouth, ride on. Just don't use profane language!

However, speaking perfect english would most likely place you above your peers in most parts of the world.
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Troubleone: 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2007
everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, i agree with the vic
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Vicjustice: 11:13pm On Sep 10, 2007
Troubleone:

everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, i agree with the vic
Good that your opinion is in favour
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by BabaDibia: 7:51am On Sep 14, 2007
stupid itk peopel here
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by Vicjustice: 2:09am On Jun 12, 2008
Baba_Dibia:

stupid itk peopel here
   Sir, you're not invited in here since the contents of the thread may be offensive to someone of your calibre grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians English Abroad by ayomifull(f): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2008
The one that really piss me off is trying to speak in foreign accents and thereby making a fool of oneself, i wonder why people think they have to speak like someone else and thereby sound disgusting. My colleaques are Irish, Britons, Polish, German but i never tried to copy anyone, u need to hear some idiots speak in foreign accent and these are guys whose oyinbo can give one headache, fake people.

(1) (Reply)

Application For Any Visa:doing It Yourself? / Port Harcourt To Sokoto By Bus / 10 Smallest Country In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.