Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,993 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! (35618 Views)

Dasuki: Buhari Never Ordered Dismantling Of Military Checkpoints / Lalong Calls For Return Of Checkpoints In Plateau State / Military Checkpoints Return In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Nella(f): 3:08pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ poster,

u 4got to add money to your list

prince_onx:

@Cotton: I thought its the other way round? Most Police checkpoints don't stop people driving clean cars! maybe I'm not getting your definition of clean car! (my understanding of clean car should be expensive/luxury car/SUV) All the same, Our police are completely useless. I hope they're reading.

Another thing is most naija car owners are guilty of one government/police offence or the other even before being stopped by a police. 80% or more of these cars we're talking about were smugled into Nigeria through neighboring countries! automatically once you hand a police your papers, he already know where to start harassing you! some of them have had their engine replaced causing it to have a diff engine number from the original document. The car owner will just add the new engine receipt (which any spare parts dealer can issue) to the rest of his car document instead of going through the right process or even changing the whole document if need be.
My biggest thing with them is that you can't even communicate with them like normal human being! the only language they seem to really understand is your money!make God take him hand come save that Country cux even him Angels don taya!

True talk!

Our Police!?? ------- They are more corrupt than the thieves they arrest! --- those people tire me!
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by chidichris(m): 3:21pm On Jul 09, 2008
i lived and owned a car in dubai for like three years and it is before God and man that i did not bribe any police man one day.
nigeria is a must, looking fresh is a crime. driving a car with a new number is a crime.
knowing your right does not stop the police from carrying out their normal investigation and this is time consuming.
the worst will be when a police man noticed that you are in a haste,wow' he will ask you to relaxe while he carry out his investigation. while this investigation is going on, another self accliamed good police man will come arround you to advise you on what to do. if you insist on your right and missing an important appointment and the police will set you free after 3 holy hours, are you free indeed?
this is their job and that is how they survive so not collecting money from 5% of people does not matter.
hey everybody come down, we are here on stop and search. who is the owner of this camera? is me, where do u live? lekki. where is the reciept of this camera? is at home. good, we will like to see the reciept of the camera. meanwhile pack this car very well.
going to lekki and coming back to festac, will cost you 5000 naira and at least 5 hours of which the wedding you are attending will be done by then. here comes a good police man. my friend, are u sure u are the owner of that camera? yes is mine. ok wait i will talk to him. hmm he is such a difficult person but i am still trying. bring 2000 naira make i give him because u look like a gentle man.
nairalanders, what do u do on such occassion? the ones who know their right will preffer to go to lekki and provide the reciept and have their freedom while those of us who do not know their right will pay or bargain for lesser amount and go ahead with the wedding.
that is nigerian police for you and there is nothing you can do about it.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by youngies(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2008
@chidichris

Next time you post try paragrphing it. Your input is always too difficult to read, abeg  wink
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by ifyalways(f): 8:46pm On Jul 09, 2008
chidichris:

hey everybody come down, we are here on stop and search. who is the owner of this camera? is me, where do u live? lekki. where is the reciept of this camera? is at home. good, we will like to see the reciept of the camera. meanwhile pack this car very well.
going to lekki and coming back to festac, will cost you 5000 naira and at least 5 hours of which the wedding you are attending will be done by then. here comes a good police man. my friend, are u sure u are the owner of that camera? yes is mine. ok wait i will talk to him. hmm he is such a difficult person but i am still trying. bring 2000 naira make i give him because u look like a gentle man.
nairalanders, what do u do on such occassion? the ones who know their right will preffer to go to lekki and provide the reciept and have their freedom while those of us who do not know their right will pay or bargain for lesser amount and go ahead with the wedding.
U can say that again cheesy
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Jul 09, 2008
chidichris:

i lived and owned a car in dubai for like three years and it is before God and man that i did not bribe any police man one day.
nigeria is a must, looking fresh is a crime. driving a car with a new number is a crime.
knowing your right does not stop the police from carrying out their normal investigation and this is time consuming.
the worst will be when a police man noticed that you are in a haste,wow' he will ask you to relaxe while he carry out his investigation. while this investigation is going on, another self accliamed good police man will come arround you to advise you on what to do. if you insist on your right and missing an important appointment and the police will set you free after 3 holy hours, are you free indeed?
this is their job and that is how they survive so not collecting money from 5% of people does not matter.

Now you know why taking public transport in Nigeria costs a whole lot less than driving around in your own vehicle. ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by kabukabu(m): 12:07am On Dec 01, 2009
The poster that said "The most important piece of paper you need to have for police is money??"When does it end,do you make a budget everyday for police bribe??Do you write tips for police on the way,on your shopping list when you go out.I.m sorry Oga we pay police to leave us alonethen they run away from robbers??Naija mentality has some of una crazy as hell.
Its Govt's job to pay olokpa not me
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by hackney(m): 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2009
@Poster
It's convinient for you to have as much documents as possible just so that they let you go quicker.
Never mind the website. (After all it did not mention that they like bribe and shoot drivers that have large sums  on their persons).

If you do not have all the docs then it is likely that you will tip them because the hassles and squabbles are not worth it at all.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by centnaira: 8:22pm On Dec 01, 2009
In Nigeria, if u meet a policeman on the highway and your vehicle documents are not complete u are in a mess, if they are complete you are in a bigger mess.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by bibiking1(m): 8:29pm On Dec 01, 2009
Don't you all want a "brown" new phone to give pesky police men at checkpoints? grin
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by hackney(m): 9:59pm On Dec 01, 2009
Also "brown" laptops to log the complaints  about the "Brown" envelopes bribes.
grin shocked grin wink

Organising english classes in the markets is looking lucrative right about now.
grin grin grin
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by axeman85(m): 11:18pm On Dec 01, 2009
its very sad but all these nigerian police majority of them are trigger happy and can accidental discharge send someone to early grave. its not right to give them bribe if you are sure you have all your documents complete but sometimes just to avert delays and other things u just have to oblige and grease their palms.

i was in naija about july this year i think and around ikorodu road if you pass the back of ikeja cantonment to link the road thats leads to gbagada expressway. i was in a taxi, well dressed with my id card at work in the uk, suddenly the taxi guy was stopped and i thought they wanted to speak to him only for them to ask me out that they are doing stop and search. i just boned with my rayban aviators no single smile at all, came down stretched my arms for them to search. after the guy search finish ask me were am coming from told him, he asked what do i do for a living i told him showed my id card after like 5mins of wasting my time. he now said oga no vex them rob for here few days ago so we dey do stop and search but anything for the boys as we don dey outside since morning. i looked at him, and said i have money but i wont give you, simply because if you had stopped me and begged me i might have given you but not only did you waste my time but also you humilated me so therefore nothing for you or the bois, went back to the taxi and zoomed off.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by theviper1: 11:46pm On Dec 01, 2009
@axeman, am begining to like u as u are my inlaw,bt my advice to you is that u desisit from such behaviours in the future to avoid leaving our sister a widow. even those who have double nationalities will think 2wice. nigeria police is not ur friend and there are too many instances to prove that fact. never mind pple like @afam who will tell u to talk politely to the cops as if an average nigerian have the balls to shout at an oc. the best way to treat a nigerian police is to pay him off. in foreign countries,police men are trained to do thier jobs bt in nija, a police man will double as an immigration,anti- drug,quarantine,traffic cop and the lot and in the end,they know nothing written on the papers that u are holding. all they want is their naira note or any forign note at that.so till we have things organized this part of the world,be very careful with our local cops.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Jaybee2412(m): 12:20am On Dec 02, 2009
Why are you people blaming the Police? The madness of some Naija motorists is unbelievable. See the video below

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/_oqeox9C2sk[/flash]
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by mamagee3(f): 2:21am On Dec 02, 2009
They shouldn't even be on the roads
they should be in their stations waiting for
a call for help form the citizens
. tongue
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by osphinx(m): 6:11am On Dec 02, 2009
i bought my car brand new, all my papers are intact no mistaking 8 for B (cos dats wat they look out for),
yet i get embarrassed by the IDIOTS called police.

A policeman once told me "bros of u no settle us, u go sleep here" I had no choice but to get him wat he asked for
after wasting 15minutes of my time cos i was in a hurry. These RETARDED FOOLs hav nowhere going and they'd waste ur time.

FU(K 'EM
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:02am On Dec 02, 2009
This post is politikally inkorrect! grin

I have had a few run-ins with Police, LASTMA and VTO, believe me. they will ask for the last receipt on the wheat bread you bought at park-n-shop or even your Tax-clearance certificate.

I made sure to get all the papers i will ever need when i bought my car last year. I got stopped at a check-point one sunday afternoon. I confidently handed over my papers (all filed neatly in a green folder). the guy looked at mean and scoffed. "Do you know that by the time I go through these papers. I will find something that can mean a CAPITAL OFFENCE?" I shivered at the thought of being tied to a pole and shot at a firing squad. i calmly asked him to please accept a token N300 to buy fanta and was off. (Lucky me)
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by saydfact(m): 9:21am On Dec 02, 2009
[size=14pt]U 4GOT THE MOST IMPORTANT N20 - N50 NOTES, [/size], lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by airzzee(m): 9:31am On Dec 02, 2009
Jaybee2412:

Why are you people blaming the Police? The madness of some Naija motorists is unbelievable. See the video below

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/_oqeox9C2sk[/flash]

The Yutube video,

Na wa o!. That's serious!!!
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 02, 2009
Wetin concern police with documents, You only compound your problem by claiming to be a honest citizen, I have seen a case whereby a police sergeant requested to see the fire extinguisher of a friend after he had seen all documents and are correct, There are many motorists without common driver's license.,is the police not aware,,no they are aware but if you can part with any amount they demand from you,then you are a freeman infact they will praise u like a small god, ,, "EVERY POLICEMAN IS SELLABLE PROVIDED YOU CAN MEET THEIR SELLING PRICE" so dont worry about your incomplete documents
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by obiksam(m): 10:17am On Dec 02, 2009
Dear house for me! P square & J martins have said it all "NO TIME"
Just try and keep your papers in tight any other thing apart from
that you are on your own.

Don't you peopel know that once you settle them they will call
another check point ahead of you to stop you again. True true
it have happoned in my on eyes and i was'nt surpress becus
the guy wants to show that he has the card so the police was
helping him to spread the card.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Virgo83(m): 10:27am On Dec 02, 2009
How many Police officers know about this
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by obiksam(m): 10:39am On Dec 02, 2009
Is it the individual that give the bribe and the police or only the individual.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 02, 2009
Who has gone to the site? I went there and I did not see the list of required documents the OP talked about. OP please paste a direct link.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by nich(m): 6:43pm On Dec 02, 2009
^ ^

the OP was Last Active on February 05, 2009, 04:37 PM

lipsrsealed
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by osphinx(m): 9:13pm On Dec 02, 2009
pls fellas, take note:

Try not to hand the originals of ur document to any nigerian police,
u'd just make it worse for urself. keep at least two photocopies. hide one away in ur car.

Always make sure to check ur papers after they hand them back to u,  they might take out
a page. trust me, this happened to a colleague.

Donot i repeat, DONOT open ur trunk from inside the car, a crazy one might drop something
inside b4 u get out to meet him.

Some of these guys are ANIMALs (no apology).

some are ur ENEMIES,  run for ur life
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by kayality: 11:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
they are the most useless force i ever see, imaging Nigeria police are doing security for food in occasion with a gun why other private guard are there too, later in the occasion the police officers cause a lot of problem for people.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by ezennaya: 8:28am On Dec 03, 2009
sometimes i feel that the police are the most honest people in nigeria are the police,imagine given a hungry man gun and ask him to be checking just document,i think if i were a police man,i most be collecting #200 and #500 from even those walking with legs

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by oloriooko(m): 11:49am On Dec 03, 2009
@ poster.

Do they care what the bloody website says?

How many of them has ever visited their website?

How many of them even know how to read sef?

I beg our Police is just a bunch of blockheads that do not know what their duties are.

Website ko website ni! grin
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by delegiwa(m): 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
fellis:

Who has gone to the site? I went there and I did not see the list of required documents the OP talked about. OP please paste a direct link.

Same here oh. I've been browsing the police site since morning and didn't get nuffing!

I used to have that printout attached to my set of car documents and it saved my day on one June afternoon in 2007 @ Aba. My wife to be and I had gone shopping in Aba for our wedding and one over-bleached policewoman stopped us some where in Eziukwu Road and demanded for my papers and I obliged only for her to demand for my "Road Worthiness Certificate". I reminded her that my car is not a commercial vehicle as only commercial vehicles are mandated to have one. The lady became redder in a fit of feigned annoyance and accused me of trying to teach her her job.

She told me that the two ways to settle the matter were as follows:

1. Wait till she "apprehends" a private vehicle that has one just to confirm to me that private vehicles are mandated to have it too
2. Come with her to the station so that her DPO can "explain better"

At this point, I showed her the printout from the Police website (I printed the stuff on a powerful laserjet colour printer) and the woman at first claimed that I could've printed it from anywhere for all she cared but I made her know that what I had in my hand was from the IG's office unless she was saying that the IG wasn't saying the truth.

Na so the woman just turn around and said something like "if not for that fine lady you are carrying, you would've followed me to the station today since u sabi book pass an officer.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2009
When asked for my particulars, I simply present this or that tongue For you information, both denomination were custom made for such use as they are made of polymers (polymers could undergo series of continuous stress without deforming)
The Nigeria Police are very understandable people, presenting these particulars safe you the agony of "wetin you carry", "oga come open your boot" wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why We Can’t Hand Over Tompolo To JTF, EFCC —ijaw Elders, Youths / Akeredolu, Lucky Aiyedatiwa Visits Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu In Lagos / Army Arrest 50 Fleeing Terrorists In Borno Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.