Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? (2333 Views)

Why Do Religious Nigerians Run To Secular Countries? / Why Do Religious People Fight Science? / Why Do Religious People Pray ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by freelance(m): 1:18am On Sep 22, 2011
Is it possible for couples to engage in our spiritual activities without each other?

Is it possible for couples to both respect and tolerate each others differences without trying to enforce your beliefs on your partner.

Can we can Love, Trust and Respect each other in that regards?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by justhappy: 1:40am On Sep 22, 2011
There is no black and white answer here. If you want to do all of the things you listed then you can. If you do not then you wont. It is that simple. Many will quote the do not be unequally yoked section of the bible. However, people can be unequally yoked in many ways. An educated person with a tradesman, an outgoing person with a quiet person, an older person with a younger person, etc. it is up to you. It is your life! If you are open minded and so is your partner, then go for it. You may actually enjoy it and learn from each other.
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by Joagbaje(m): 7:08am On Sep 22, 2011
If you're not Christians ,it doesn't matter .but if you're a christian. It matters a great deal.

2 Corinthians 6:14-15
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 23, 2011
To me it doesnt matter cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by benodic: 8:02pm On Sep 23, 2011
@ poster

love is all that matters. the law of love supersedes all laws, all religions, all tribes and all races. the purpose of 2 souls coming together in marriage is to help each other cultivate love for God and love for all things.

i know a wonderful couple who i usually stay with, the husband is an ECK Clergy and the wife is a wonderful Christian so full of love and they have been wonderfully married for over 35 years. the kids are allowed to go to any religion of their liking with no fuss and no pressure from any of the parents. there is so much love and freedom in this couple's home and it is a clear example that love is all that matters and not your religion, tribe or race.
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by ecenter(m): 9:31pm On Sep 23, 2011
Relationship is the mutual coming together of two or more people for some benefits. Now as regards to the issue at hand, my own opinion is that religion should not separate good friends if really they understand what friendship is all about. As a christian it is true that the bible warned against relating with unbelievers, in 2cor 6:14.

But permit me to say this,''It is impossible to live here on earth without having something to do with those of different faith''. Because tell me how this world will look like if someone says that as a christian or one of different religion, he would not relate with those of different faith when he knows that he must have business transaction with those who are not members of his faith.

Or if one says because he belongs to a particular religion, that he will not work in a company of a man of another religion. To me this is just lack of understanding of God's principles,especially the one in the Bible in (2cor 6:14-18). What the bible is talking about in (2cor.6:14-18) is the issue of marriage relationship.

In marriage relationship a christian, should marry a fellow Christian. Like wise those of other faith or religion. The reason is that where there is no understanding both could be quarreling over whose religion to concentrate on.

Now let me say this, relationship are of different categories. We have ''Healthy relationship and Unhealthy relationship''.

Healthy relationship is the one that helps you learn new things and develop your God given potentials.Such kind of relationship doesn't ask what religion one belongs. So long as the relationship has some elements of positive and creative benefits on both parties, it is good.

The Unhealthy relationship is the relationship that corrupts your own morale attitude. If a relationship changes your relationship from good to bad, to me run away from such kind of person, even if the person belongs to the best religion. What matters here is what you gain from a relationship and not which religion one belongs.

But for marital relationship I advice that those of the same religion should marry each other in other to avoid unhealthy influence that can lead to divorce.
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by claremont(m): 9:46pm On Sep 23, 2011
Religion and human relationships are radically incompatible concepts, problems arise when people start to harmonize these concepts. Religious differences (for those who wish to be religious) shouldn't matter in a relationship IMO.
Re: Do Religious Differences Matter In Relationships? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2011
claremont:

Religion and human relationships are radically incompatible concepts, problems arise when people start to harmonize these concepts. Religious differences (for those who wish to be religious) shouldn't matter in a relationship IMO.
guy why do u like to say what u dont know? WTH do u mean by religion and human relationships are radically incompatible? do u care to expatiate?

(1) (Reply)

Eddie L. Long's Wife Vanessa Long Files For Divorce / Interesting epiphany on statue of liberty (USA) / A Lamed Woman Walks @ RCCG Redeemption Camp Just Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.